Rasmus Højlund | Manchester United Player | Shirt Nr 11

El Jefe

Weren't there reports saying that Kane was ETH's first choice and once Kane was unavailable ETH said he wanted Hojlund ahead of other recommendations by the club.

That in itself sets off alarm bells for me.

As others have said, this is a horrible situation for him to come into the team. The expectation is unreal and he's coming off an injury and disrupted preseason. One or two bad games and the wolves in the media will be out.

RuudTom83

If Martial is available, then Hojlund can come on around the hour mark.

If Martial has broken down by then, it will have to be Hojlund from the start.

Marwood

I’ve seen this lad compared to Cavani for his movement. Hopefully the comparison is apt.
Yeah hopefully but I what I mean is look how much Cavani improved us just by doing the basics. He wasn't fast, he wasn't beating players, he wasn't technically amazing, his passing was just ok. But we were so much better with him.

He was though working hard, battling, holding the ball up etc etc. The stuff we all know needs doing.

I'm guilty of this but I don't think we realise sometimes just how bad our front line is at the basics of forward play.

If Hojlund can just do that while he improves his goalscoring it'll be huge for us.

Son

Do you mean Endrick who Madrid signed? Unless it’s a different player you’re thinking of.
Vitor Roque I believe his name is. I’ve never seen the guy play properly but people are hyping him up at 18. Who knows.

Barcelona and Madrid really go get some gems from South America and cut out the middle man. Unlike us with Antony / Fred etc.

Chief123

The one positive from his injury is he will be coming into the team when we have a fairly kind run of fixtures where he can hopefully get a few goals to help him settle.

He will probably start matches starting with these games:

Brighton (H)
Burnley (A)
Palace (H)
Brentford (H)
Sheff Utd (A)
Man City (H)
Fulham (A)
Luton (H)
Everton (A)

City and Brighton would be the toughest games but both are at old trafford so he’ll have the fans behind him. They are a generous run of away fixtures.

I think that run of games is perfect for him to come into and make an impression hopefully.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Anyone knows if he has a strong winning at all costs mentality? Because the rest of our team seem psychologically weak when going a goal down apart from maybe Onana.

Rapsinfour

As others have said, this is a horrible situation for him to come into the team. The expectation is unreal and he's coming off an injury and disrupted preseason. One or two bad games and the wolves in the media will be out.
Conversely, this team may be ideal for him. Last year, we scored 49 goals from open play, but had a Xg of 63.09; he will come into a team that was creating chances galore last year and should do similar this year ( unless of course this was all Fred and Weghorst)! If he is just an average striker, he will get so many goals ( and also the credit)!

Barcelona and Madrid really go get some gems from South America and cut out the middle man. Unlike us with Antony / Fred etc.
I think Barca get a little too much credit here! They got Neymar but, apparently, with all the fees ended up paying around 100 million. They paid thru their nose for Coutinho, got Alves from Sevilla, Rivaldo from deportivo, got Ronaldinho and Romario from PSV. Might as well give us credit for the DaSilva twins then!

Real is Real! Anyone who wants to be a footballing superstar from Latin America and Latin speaking countries want to go there it seems!

stepic

Weren't there reports saying that Kane was ETH's first choice and once Kane was unavailable ETH said he wanted Hojlund ahead of other recommendations by the club.

That in itself sets off alarm bells for me.

I dunno, coming into a team already playing shit means he will have some slack if worst case scenario we just keep playing shit. Best case scenario though he scores a goal or two and we win a few.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
I see Hojlund like Weghorst except Hojlund knows where the goal is. He’ll improve us. Just be good fans and don’t eat him alive when he plays the first 2-3 games without scoring.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I see Hojlund like Weghorst except Hojlund knows where the goal is. He’ll improve us. Just be good fans and don’t eat him alive when he plays the first 2-3 games without scoring.
And offer better movement in the box, is fast and can offer a big threat in behind, can dribble and run with the ball decently well... But yes he should provide the few things Weghorst was able to do decently as well.

Red_toad

Like Weghorst? Personally see nothing alike in them. You might as well compare him to Rashford playing as a striker and there’d be more similarities.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
His best introduction to the team will be by coming off the bench. Less pressure that way… he can only benefit aswell if he comes off and scores. If he comes off and doesn’t then he won’t get any criticism.

Devil You Know

I think I'm only going to call him Rasmus in the real world.

Haaland is probably always going to be the bigger star, and their surnames are too close not lead to an inevitable comparison if I say it took quickly or if the other person isn't paying full attention.

I'd love it if they swap rankings on the global leaderboard of top strikers one day. But until that day comes, he's going to have to be Rasmus. A bit like we all had specify Cristiano Ronaldo until he became a 5 time Ballon d'Or winner. Or the way Manchester United is the only team that can get away with being called United and everyone automatically knows which United you're talking about.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
From what he's saying to Danish media when interviewed he's not paying much attention to media in general. He reckons both the good and the bad stuff can drive you crazy.

He seems to have a good attitude and genuinely sounds like someone who knows he's got a lot to work on but who's ready to do the work. He comes across well so hopefully it's not just talk.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
When's he going to be available, any news so far or still out injured?

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
How do you quantify that?
Not an exact science but does he continue to play positively even when the odds are stacked against us? Because for most of the team, when the going gets tough (e.g. conceding a goal), they seem to climb back in their respective metaphorical shells.

Son

Conversely, this team may be ideal for him. Last year, we scored 49 goals from open play, but had a Xg of 63.09; he will come into a team that was creating chances galore last year and should do similar this year ( unless of course this was all Fred and Weghorst)! If he is just an average striker, he will get so many goals ( and also the credit)!

I think Barca get a little too much credit here! They got Neymar but, apparently, with all the fees ended up paying around 100 million. They paid thru their nose for Coutinho, got Alves from Sevilla, Rivaldo from deportivo, got Ronaldinho and Romario from PSV. Might as well give us credit for the DaSilva twins then!

Real is Real! Anyone who wants to be a footballing superstar from Latin America and Latin speaking countries want to go there it seems!
You are correct actually now you mention Coutinho. Literally bankrupted their club almost. Forgot about that :lol:

Barcelona tend to always have better Brazilians than anyone else thinking back and Argentinians. Barca granted have usually played the best football this past 30 years of any club so makes sense.

I’ll give it to Madrid for training young players so well last 5 years though. They really do have a shot of reaching world class levels in Madrid currently.

We don’t seem to have the coaches or facilities to create actual world beaters any longer so Madrid are doing everything right atm. Their training facilities look amazing compared to United’s.

Back on topic I believe Hojlund will struggle to match Isak at Newcastle in his career. Isak could really become something special. Has a touch of class about him.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The club didn't pay 70m + for their main striker to come on as a sub. Rashford goes to his best position on the left and Hojlund goes straight in as the striker.

fps

Yeah hopefully but I what I mean is look how much Cavani improved us just by doing the basics. He wasn't fast, he wasn't beating players, he wasn't technically amazing, his passing was just ok. But we were so much better with him.

He was though working hard, battling, holding the ball up etc etc. The stuff we all know needs doing.

I'm guilty of this but I don't think we realise sometimes just how bad our front line is at the basics of forward play.

If Hojlund can just do that while he improves his goalscoring it'll be huge for us.
When was the last time we had a high quality centre forward in their prime? RVP right?

gorshed

I’m gutted he is injured, but I honestly think he is going to be quality, he seems to have it all to me strength, pace, great ball control, obviously his finishing needs improving but i genuine think he will make us so much more dangerous, he can hold the ball up, great at taking people on, can see a pass, I think we just got to be patient and give him a bit of time

Marwood

When was the last time we had a high quality centre forward in their prime? RVP right?
Yeah reckon so.

Cavani gave us a glimpse. Even Ighalo showed us what a bit of proper hold up play can do for a team.

Our front three just can't make it stick.

Doracle

The boy doesn’t stand a chance. Purely because we are so shite there will be too much expectation on him to do well. He should be coming as a rotation player really.
Agree with this. We should be treating him as a £30m rotation option presently (which is really what he is), who we hope will one day be good enough to lead the line for Manchester United and will hopefully pop up with a few goals this season.

I’m concerned that currently instead he is being viewed as the saviour of our season, which is a lot of weight on his shoulders when he is fit to play. He just isn’t that player as yet.

Red00012

So much pressure on him already because we are just a really badly run club from top to bottom. At least people will be patient with him on here and won’t jump to conclusions 15 mins into his debut . ;)

Eric_the_Red99

Agree with this. We should be treating him as a £30m rotation option presently (which is really what he is), who we hope will one day be good enough to lead the line for Manchester United and will hopefully pop up with a few goals this season.

I’m concerned that currently instead he is being viewed as the saviour of our season, which is a lot of weight on his shoulders when he is fit to play. He just isn’t that player as yet.
We should absolutely be able to treat him as a rotation option to begin with, but ETH seems to think he can only start Rashford up front when that clearly isn't working, making Hojlund's introduction seem more urgent than it should be. Hopefully we'll see Rashford back to his better position on the left, Martial up front and Garnacho back on the bench as an impact sub, and then fingers crossed Martial gets at least a few games under his belt before his inevitable injury and we're forced to start Hojlund instead.

But I fear that whoever we play as forwards, the team will continue to underperform until the midfield starts to function.

abkmufc92

Can't wait for him to be fit and convert all these chances we create...

A striker is not the missing puzzle piece from our team.

Rashford only plays for himself, never looks up, constantly dribbles into multiple players and loses the ball and always shoots from stupid positions.

Antony is just useless at everything a wide player is supposed to be good at. His passing/crossing is shit, his shooting is shit and he can't dribble past anyone.

Until that changes don't expect much from this guy as he will just be feeding of scraps.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
We should absolutely be able to treat him as a rotation option to begin with, but ETH seems to think he can only start Rashford up front when that clearly isn't working
He probably thinks he has to start Rashford up front because the only alternative is Martial who isn’t sodding fit. Who is he supposed to play there? The cleaner?

Shark

@NotShark
Cavani and Ibra have been the closest since RVP. Sadly if we're taking about prime though it's RVP over a decade ago.

SteveCoppellFan

You would think we had signed a 16 year old from Aldershot.

He will be fine, he has come here to prove himself and no doubt he will succeed at that.

jeff_goldblum

We desperately need a natural centre-forward to make this particular set-up work work. That centre-forward doesn't have to smash in goals left, right and centre (although that would be nice, and is definitely a requirement if we want to challenge City), he just needs to do the basic things a centre-forward does - make the right runs, be able to hold the ball up and bring others into play, give defenders a physical presence to worry about in the box. Without that we're toothless and predictable going forward, easy to frustrate and we lose the ball to often which piles pressure on the holding midfielder and back five.