Rasmus Højlund | Manchester United Player | Shirt Nr 11

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
People forget that Rooney cost a bomb at the time as well. We payed for pure potential

Plastic Evra

His rate of returns you can probably judge, though.

By which I mean we know he returned 0.44 non-penalty goals and 0.47 NPxG per 90 in Serie A last season. However many minutes he plays for us, it will almost certainly be enough to be able to draw a comparison to that. So the degree to which he drops off or improves on those numbers upon moving to the PL will tell us a lot.

If he translated those goal returns 1-to-1 to the PL he'd be returning at roughly the same rate the likes of Jesus, Toney, Isak, Mitrovic and Watkins did last season. Which from a 20 year old in his first season would be an excellent sign as that's basically the sub Kane/Haaland tier of CF in the league.

So that seems like a good standard by which to judge his first season productivity in the minutes he gets.
That's fair, yes, but we'll need some actual stats to start comparing, is all I'm saying. Would be a deception if he scores at a low rate but we also will have to judge in the team as a whole, the front 3 clearly suffer from missing his profile.
If he is a killer finisher and scores 20+ this year I won't be angry though.

AndySmith1990

People forget that Rooney cost a bomb at the time as well. We payed for pure potential
Rooney was sensational at 16 and world class by the time he was 20. We weren't paying for potential. There was no doubt about how good he'd be

erikcred

What?! He was already a big player at Euro 2004. Paying for pure potential would've been signing him at 14.

Judas

Open to offers
Surely you didn't see him at the time to have this bizarre view? Rooney was a sure thing, there was no doubt, hence the unbelievable excitement around him before and when we bought him. He was a man when he was signed, even if his birth certificate said otherwise. Pure potential :lol:

People need to stop bringing him up, its tedious.

Last edited:

tenhagsimp

Surely you didn't see him at the time to have this bizarre view? Rooney was a sure thing, there was no doubt, hence the unbelievable excitement around him before and when we bought him. He was a man when we he was signed, even if his birth certificate said otherwise. Pure potential :lol:

People need to stop bringing him up, its tedious.
This. Rooney's hype was like Bellingham on roids. He was hyped like the second coming of Christ destined to bring the NT back to glory. If there was another Rooney like player right now he wouldnt sell for under 100m at the cheapest. Im not taking anything from Hojlund here but when both are at the same age and stage of their career Hojlund isnt fit to lace Rooney's boot. This is just speaking objectively. Rooney was United top scorer during his first season and he was even younger than Hojlund now iirc. Second season (current Hojlund age) he has like around 1 goal per 2 games ratio for us in the league

erikcred

This. Rooney's hype was like Bellingham on roids. He was hyped like the second coming of Christ destined to bring the NT back to glory. If there was another Rooney like player right now he wouldnt sell for under 100m at the cheapest. Im not taking anything from Hojlund here but when both are at the same age and stage of their career Hojlund isnt fit to lace Rooney's boot. This is just speaking objectively. Rooney was United top scorer during his first season and he was even younger than Hojlund now iirc. Second season (current Hojlund age) he has like around 1 goal per 2 games ratio for us in the league
100m if he's injured and out of action for 8 months or something. Dude was Mbappe before Mbappe. Just happened to be part of a shite international setup and lost out on that front.

Todd

If your 80 mil worth, first choice striker, scores 10 goals in a season then it is not success by any means.
If a 20 year old who has never played in the EPL scores 10 goals in his first season, that's pretty good.

It's not his fault that, as usual, we overpaid for a player by quite a bit.

RedorDead21

If a 20 year old who has never played in the EPL scores 10 goals in his first season, that's pretty good.

Or that the team he’s now in isn’t firing…or that in terms of a league title this season…it’s already over bar the shouting…

lsd

The Oracle
When do we start wondering if the rumours are true that his back injury is a lot more severe than we are being told?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

It will not be good for the club though. Our result this season will suffer because of it. Unless Martial finally steps up.

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
What‽ He was better (by way of consistency) than Ronaldo at the time. He was a sure thing and nobody was suggesting otherwise.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It will not be good for the club though. Our result this season will suffer because of it. Unless Martial finally steps up.
Better than what we had last season with Weghorst. The right move now would be to buy another striker considering we're letting go of Greenwood.

edgecutter

He can come out on a wheelchair and I would have more faith in him than Martial.

cyberman

Keep the chance creation up and he will fill his boots in this team

Baxquux

When do we start wondering if the rumours are true that his back injury is a lot more severe than we are being told?
What's the substance of these rumours? Doubt even this club, and their acquiescence to ETH's player choices even in the face of advice otherwise, would seriously follow through with a 70m transfer if there was a serious back issue affecting mobility long-term...

Sgreddevil

Let's stop the comparison with Rooney. He scored a hat trick in his debut at age of 18 says it all. End of debate.

The United

It's football, I'd be happy the team to perform well, I don't think it merits to put such expectations you're spoiling any pleasure out of it. But that's just me.
Excited for Hojlund start, can't expect he'll be an absolute trailblazer of a striker just yet.
Can't argue with that.

flameinthesun

Keep the chance creation up and he will fill his boots in this team
A few times the ball was put into the box and both Rashford and Martial were on their heels, that's where I think we will mainly see the difference with having Rasmus in the team.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I pray he’s competent unlike the rest of our forwards at finishing.