Rate the season

SAFMUTD

Looking at different threads I have found several mixed opinions about the seasons, going all the way from some posters calling it an excellent season to others calling it a total failure.

I'm interested in seeing what the caf overall rates the season.

So from 1 out of 10 how do you rate this past season?

Mods if we can have a poll that be great.

Last edited:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
7/10.

Clear progression on average. Second in the league.

We couldn't do it in the CL group stage, but we did make it to a major European final.

The domestic cups suck but allegedly no one cares about them.

SAFMUTD

7/10.

Clear progression on average. Second in the league.

We couldn't do it in the CL group stage, but we did make it to a major European final.

The domestic cups suck but allegedly no one cares about them.
I would take the major out of European final. There's only a major and that's the UCL.

snk123

5.5/10 just because of that ending few games.

Would have been 8/10 had we won the final and at Anfield.

hobbers

Hit the 70 point top four threshold that's the bare minimum for the manager to keep his job. Failed in every other competition, and embarrassing in the CL.

SAFMUTD

Fair.

Still, we did have a competent European season. Being in the Europa League is never ideal but we were a De Gea kick away from making the most of it.
I agree as long as competent is under quotation marks. We should had easily won that minor cup.

Ludens the Red

League - 7.5/10

74 points and 6 defeats is a decent season for this particular team. Improved on last year too. It’s nothing special but it’s ok. Exceeded what I expected although it’s fair to recognise we weren’t a strong runner up.

Cups - 2/10

League cup I can accept losing to city. Everything else was unacceptable and basically we learnt nothing from the equivalent cup exits last year. Literally nothing.

MU655

5/10

I think it was pretty underwhelming, overall. I think the improvement is very minimal over the prior seasons.

I think the league football, in terms of entertainment, has been below average. We have a game here and there, but I felt like most games were quite mundane when I think about it.

It took a 9v0 victory to beat the past seasons all the way back to Van Gaal's season in terms of goal scoring, so we haven't exactly improved in this area. The goal scoring per game falls beneath those seasons when you remove that result, and it has shown in plenty of games this season where we have struggled.

No trophies again is a big issue. Second place is alright, but I don't feel like we won it through merit and more see it as Liverpool collapsing on last season. The improvement over last season is minimal, to be honest, amounting to two more wins and draws in the league. The entertainment value has probably gone down if anything. At least the big games were more entertaining last season; this season the vast majority were dire affairs.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
6/7 out of ten.

The football has been a little better without ever threatening to be great. Finishing 2nd is obviously good but it doesn't feel like progress given it only happened because Liverpool had an injury crisis and Lampard. We still give the impression that we will finish below any other wealthy club that is run and managed half decently. One has to ask if we can kick on from this to win the league or UCL. For me we don't seem much nearer to that.

The main achievement of the season was that Ed Woodward quit.

Giggsy13

5/10. Champions league achieved, which was the bare minimum, but the trophy drought at a club of our size is completely unacceptable.

AshRK

6/10. Our lows were really bad like the spurs loss, Leipzig and PSG defeat, Sheffield loss, FA cup qf knock out and The final of el. Having said that we also some good football during the course of the season. If you had said after the spurs defeat that we will finish 2nd , I would have taken that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
6 or 7 out of 10.

The way we ended was very poor.

OmarUnited4ever

League - 7.5/10

74 points and 6 defeats is a decent season for this particular team. Improved on last year too. It’s nothing special but it’s ok. Exceeded what I expected although it’s fair to recognise we weren’t a strong runner up.

Cups - 2/10

League cup I can accept losing to city. Everything else was unacceptable and basically we learnt nothing from the equivalent cup exits last year. Literally nothing.

i agree with this, good league performance and horrible performance in the cups

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If we're giving a rating for how we are as a club at this point in time, as opposed to what a club like us "should" be doing, I'd say 8/10.

We didn't strengthen in the summer, yet managed to finish above expectation in 2nd.

Cup final win would have taken us to 9/10

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
League - 8/10. Much improved - unbeaten away from home, back to back top 4 finishes for first time since Fergie.

Cups - 5/10. Made it to the semis in the EFL cup, quarters in the FA cup, final of the Europa. On paper not too bad, but it again is evidence of our ability to bottle it when it matters. I get the feeling if we’d drawn Villarreal in our initial CL group we’d have beaten them home and away quite comfortably.

Summary - 6.5/10. Encouraging signs and better than the previous season but still not good enough. This season needs to be the spring board, and as long as we continue the upward trajectory next season, we won’t be doing too badly.

OleBoiii

We didn't really sign any new starters last summer despite desperately needing it and we still improved our league position, widened the gap down and narrowed the gap up. That is definitely better than what I expected.

To me that translates to a 7 or 8. I'll go for something in the middle: 7.5

bdspeedy

6.5/10. The wheels came off completely at the end of April. Lots of reasons or excuses why. Time to put up or shut up. Get rid of or write off the rest of the dead wood. Need CB, CDM, RW at the very minimum. We also need a few experienced coaches --from outside the United rah-rah, living-on-past glory, good old boys club-- to bolster and shake up the mediocre staff we have now.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Better than expected, honestly. I thought we'd struggle to finish 4th. Shite finish though, wheels came off at the wrong time.

Crashoutcassius

7 is fair. we hummed in attack at times. big disappointments for me were martial, the whole defensive unit not delivering on promise from last season, dvdb having a hard year, the final obviously.

I think we are set up to have a similar season next season, i do think we saw our true level this season. clear that we are always a couple of injuries away from panic. hard to be optimistic about the club doing a thing about it

Cloud7

6.5/10

Progression in the league from last season, however our end of season form is a bit worrying. We slumped pretty hard near the end, and isn't the sort of way you would want to end the season. Falling out of the CL group stage is unacceptable, especially given the position we found ourselves in. We did all the hard work and faltered at what should have been the easiest part of that group. Anything subsequent to that that we did in the Europa league has a clear glass ceiling that falls below the CL group stage for me.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We didn't really sign any new starters last summer despite desperately needing it and we still improved our league position, widened the gap down and narrowed the gap up. That is definitely better than what I expected.

To me that translates to a 7 or 8. I'll go for something in the middle: 7.5
This is what has annoyed me for a while now. We never really seem to. We’ve had a massive injection of academy players (Rashford, McTominay, Greenwood, Henderson) but in terms of signings, Maguire, Bruno and Wan Bissaka are the only real nailed on starters in the team now that we’ve signed since Lindelof in 2017. We need to add first team players this summer, not squad options.

The last time we finished second and were tasked with closing the gap on city, we signed Fred, Grant and Dalot. Have to do better this time.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
8/10. Better than expected after the transfer window.

Red Star One

League: 7/10 - 2nd is good but we never really challenged, few absurd games like Spurs shambles and Palace to begin with that made us never really dream about fighting with City in a season most other teams were dipping. Improvement over last seasons obvious.
Cups: 2/10 - CL group exit in disgusting fashion showing no mentality whatsoever, out of two other cups with teams worse than us. Could hardly be worse.

average of 4.5/10 sounds about right. For reference, I’d give Pool 3-3.5/10, Spurs 2-2.5/10.

Valencia Shin Crosses

6 or 7. Anyone rating lower is being dramatic. Add a point if we had won the final.

We clearly progressed as a team even after having a brutal start to the year and misfiring forwards the entire fall. Shaw, Pogba, Greenwood, AWB all showed improvements this season to varying degrees. We are clearly closer to the top than many want to believe, with obvious holes in the team that need to be addressed for the next step to be made. Not sure if Ole is the man to take us back to the top, but I certainly think he’s outperformed people’s expectations at this point and done pretty well to help some young players along.

Address the main issues in the squad, and next year will be a proper litmus test with high expectations. If we have a crap summer though, I think there’s only so much we can fairly expect as fans

Redlyn

The cup would have added another .5.
Ok season but a title challenge is what we want and to be competing for the CL trophy not the EL and to win some domestic cups. The fact that we were comfortably second is what saved the rating.

VivaRonaldo85

6/10. Still far too inconsistent with wild highs like winning at City and PSG mixed with horrific lows like losing against this Sheffield United side at OT and that embarrassing Europa final. +8 points on last season’s league tally is not bad moving from 3rd to 2nd but it’s not unbelievable or anything like that. The blind spots in the latter stages of the cups is becoming very worrying and hugely disappointing for a club that prides itself on silverware of any sort.

Zen86

6.5/10. Progress on last season, but a bitter taste left by a rather disappointing end. I feel like we’re a bit further away than I did 2 or 3 months ago.

always_hoping

A 7 for me as I expected a struggle to finish 4th nevermind finishing comfortably in 2nd.

This season once again highlighted United don't have the strength in depth to fight on a few fronts and if the owners don't deliver the at least 3 needed transfers this summer the domestic cups will have to be sacrificed.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
7/10. Nothing to write home about, but there were some nice games, we've finished 2nd without any issues and cup campaigns were... adequate, I guess. In Fergie's times the rating would've been lower though.