Ravel Morrison

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Same here. Good player but wasn't going to make here anyway. People who said that he is as talented as Pogba (based exclusively on him being a local boy) made me laugh back then as much as they do it now.
Yeah we said he was as good as Pogba because he's a local lad. Don't talk shite. If that was the case then how come players like Lingard don't get the hype that Morrison did? Look at what the likes of Fergie and our players and coaches had to say about his talent.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yeah we said he was as good as Pogba because he's a local lad. Don't talk shite. If that was the case then how come players like Lingard don't get the hype that Morrison did? Look at what the likes of Fergie and our players and coaches had to say about his talent.
He was seriously overrated back then. He was never on Pogba's level.

For the last point, tbf I don't care what they say. They say some ridiculous bullshit all the time (which isn't actually totabl bullshit, but is more to give them confidence). Like this (Scholes for Cole):

"An excellent all-round footballer. He can play wide right, central midfield, he can probably play other positions, too. He’s just someone who’s supremely confident on the ball, capable of scoring goals, making chances and he has a chance of being a good player for us, I think. He’s really impressed me.

"The ball seems almost glued to his foot, he knows exactly where he is on the pitch – which is key for a midfielder."

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Yeah but Morrison showed genuine flashes of brilliance for West Ham this past season. He is an extremely talented footballer. Such natural skill. His attitude is such that he will never ever make it. But you can't say he wasn't talented.
There were youth and reserve games he completely took over. Youth Cup final at Anfield he scored a hat trick iirc, includng a late bicycle kick winner.

I think Ravel could've been as good as he wanted to be, he just doesn't seem to want to be that good.

pocco

loco
He was seriously overrated back then. He was never on Pogba's level.

For the last point, tbf I don't care what they say. They say some ridiculous bullshit all the time (which isn't actually totabl bullshit, but is more to give them confidence). Like this (Scholes for Cole):

"An excellent all-round footballer. He can play wide right, central midfield, he can probably play other positions, too. He’s just someone who’s supremely confident on the ball, capable of scoring goals, making chances and he has a chance of being a good player for us, I think. He’s really impressed me.

"The ball seems almost glued to his foot, he knows exactly where he is on the pitch – which is key for a midfielder."
In terms of talent, I think he was. Very different players but both really talented. There's a reason the club bent over backwards for Morrison and overlooked numerous misdemeanours, they knew there was a truckload of talent to work with if they could just get him on the straight and narrow.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not sure what your point is there. He was hyped because of his talent. What else can an u18 player get hype for?
Maybe the hype was a bit over the top given that he hasn't shown any glimpse of becoming the player his hype suggested he might.

pocco

loco
Yeah but Morrison showed genuine flashes of brilliance for West Ham this past season. He is an extremely talented footballer. Such natural skill. His attitude is such that he will never ever make it. But you can't say he wasn't talented.
There were youth and reserve games he completely took over. Youth Cup final at Anfield he scored a hat trick iirc, includng a late bicycle kick winner.

I think Ravel could've been as good as he wanted to be, he just doesn't seem to want to be that good.
It's extremely sad and watching him waste his talent has been one if the low points of my time watching football. I really wanted him to become the player he should be and build on his talent, it's frustrating.

JB7

Totally overrated, he could never have singlehandedly turned a Youth Cup game at Anfield around from 2-0 down to 3-2 the way Pogba did, oh wait.....

pocco

loco
Maybe the hype was a bit over the top given that he hasn't shown any glimpse of becoming the player his hype suggested he might.
You said you never understood the hype around him. He was hyped because of his performances in our youth and reserve sides, what more could he do at the time other than perform in his age groups? Unless you're talking about the hype now? Which I don't think there really is anymore.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You said you never understood the hype around him. He was hyped because of his performances in our youth and reserve sides, what more could he do at the time other than perform in his age groups? Unless you're talking about the hype now? Which I don't think there really is anymore.
Yeah sorry Pocco, i was referring to him since he left us.

jb8521

Same here. Good player but wasn't going to make here anyway. People who said that he is as talented as Pogba (based exclusively on him being a local boy) made me laugh back then as much as they do it now.
People said that he was as talented as Pogba because almost every time they were on the same pitch Morrison actually performed better than Pogba not because he was a local boy but because he affected the games considerably more than Pogba who had highlight moments but didnt affect the games as much as Morrison. Of course its easy to laugh about now because Pogba is fulfilling his potential and Morrison isnt but to claim people rated him because he is a local boy is ridiculous.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
No, he was actually that talented.
Sir Alex mentioned once he was the most talented young player we'd ever had under him at one point in his development.

Brightonian

People said that he was as talented as Pogba because almost every time they were on the same pitch Morrison actually performed better than Pogba not because he was a local boy but because he affected the games considerably more than Pogba who had highlight moments but didnt affect the games as much as Morrison. Of course its easy to laugh about now because Pogba is fulfilling his potential and Morrison isnt but to claim people rated him because he is a local boy is ridiculous.
No, he was actually that talented.
Sir Alex mentioned once he was the most talented young player we'd ever had under him at one point in his development.
Yep, these. At the time, Morrison was the more gifted player, and the one showing it more consistently.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Morrison was certainly more highly-regarded for a period (not even a particularly brief period) than Pogba. Pity how it turned out in both cases.

Becknaldolencia

I don't get what's wrong with having a cigar, yeah it's bad for you but he isn't alone. Plenty of footballers smoke cigarettes and it contains the same chemicals as cigar.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Correct me if I'm wrong but you're not supposed to inhale a cigar anyway, you just 'taste' it...

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Those doubting Ravel's insane potential are as silly as the ones who wanted him back after three good games last autumn. Where is the he's turned a corner brigade these days anyway?

Revan

Assumptionman
Fair point, maybe I just never saw his potential back then. I remember being very unhappy on Pogba's case and making a shitload of posts here about how that is a mistake from us while on the other side I didn't bothered when we lost Morrison cause I never expected him to be any good for us.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Fair point, maybe I just never saw his potential back then. I remember being very unhappy on Pogba's case and making a shitload of posts here about how that is a mistake from us while on the other side I didn't bothered when we lost Morrison cause I never expected him to be any good for us.
:lol: Ferguson described him as one of the most talent young players he'd ever seen, his talent was never in doubt, he genuinely (Had he followed that progression/ path), there's little in the way of ceilings, he would have been very special. However, there are a lot of these sort, could have's and would have's, he looks set to become a mid table PL player, I'm sure if he knuckled down he could perhaps come top 4, but anything beyond that isn't real anymore IMO but at one point, the stars were the limit.

Revan

Assumptionman
:lol: Ferguson described him as one of the most talent young players he'd ever seen, his talent was never in doubt, he genuinely (Had he followed that progression/ path), there's little in the way of ceilings, he would have been very special. However, there are a lot of these sort, could have's and would have's, he looks set to become a mid table PL player, I'm sure if he knuckled down he could perhaps come top 4, but anything beyond that isn't real anymore IMO but at one point, the stars were the limit.
Don't take SAF seriously when he talks for young players. He does that just to give them confidence. Some of the examples are when he said that Welbeck will be playing on World Cup 2010 or when he compared Welbeck and Cleverley to Thiago Alcantara.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
I always thought he was going to make it. Was surprised that Sir Alex decided to sell him as I thought he would take him under his wing and sort him out. Pogba and him looked like sure shot additions from the academy to the first team that time.

Too bad one was too impatient and other one was considered unmanageable even by Sir Alex.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Don't take SAF seriously when he talks for young players. He does that just to give them confidence. Some of the examples are when he said that Welbeck will be playing on World Cup 2010 or when he compared Welbeck and Cleverley to Thiago Alcantara.
Fair point, but if I went through, there are several high profile players and team mates all saying that he wasn't good, but left them in awe when he wanted to, I think someone called him Englands most naturally talented player since Paul G

RooneyLegend

People are ridiculous aren't they. A picture of him having a cigar and now he's some great human tragedy? Can we at least wait until he does something totally disastrous before we start writing the obituary to his career? This is absurd. Players smoking cigars on the couch at their place watching football is something totally normal. What do you guys think these people are? Priests? Feck, Del Piero smoked cigarettes his whole career and that didn't stop him from being a legend.

Do you people even follow his actual football career? Its clear as daylight that he's already managed to improve. His game is coming together. He was man of the match in a third of his matches at QPR. Harry says that he's had the grand total of 0 problems with him. He says all the lad wants to do is train all day and nothing else. Hasn't missed a training session. He was instantly their best player to the point that some qpr fans are debating whether he should be their player of the season but no, he's not fulfilling his talent and will deffo be a waste.

Now doubting his talent is the single biggest load of shit I've managed to read on this forum. He was never as good as pogba? What? This is a player that Rio says he'd pay to watch train let alone play. This is the player that sir alex said he was the best player he'd ever seen at a certain age. Eikrem says that he's the best players he's ever trained with. This is the player that people at our academy say is the biggest talent we're produced in 20+ years. But no, he's not that much of a talent. He was easily better than Pogba when they were here, easily! As easily as he is a bigger talent than him. He's ambidextrous, quick, technically gifted to the heavens, great football brain but he's not that talented? Deary me.

Shinjisan

Fair point, but if I went through, there are several high profile players and team mates all saying that he wasn't good, but left them in awe when he wanted to, I think someone called him Englands most naturally talented player since Paul G
I don't think it was a fair point. There is a difference between calling someone "one of the best players he has ever seen" to praising the odd player.

Ravel's talent was obvious for anyone who saw him play for the academy and the reserves.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I don't think it was a fair point. There is a difference between calling someone "one of the best players he has ever seen" to praising the odd player.

Ravel's talent was obvious for anyone who saw him play for the academy and the reserves.
The point that SAF didn't exactly hold back praising some players to reach X when they clearly never would I suppose takes something from his opinion, so his point was valid, but ours is backed up by the fact it isn't just SAF who has said it.

Shinjisan

The point that SAF didn't exactly hold back praising some players to reach X when they clearly never would I suppose takes something from his opinion, so his point was valid, but ours is backed up by the fact it isn't just SAF who has said it.
I don't disagree that some of his praise could be over the top. Though don't think he'll be as frivolous as to call a donkey a thoroughbred. Young players career can go either way. Cleverley looked massively talented during his loan spells and on our pre-season tours. Shame he hasn't fulfilled on that potential, yet. A few people have said that he possesses certain qualities usually associated with Spainish midfielders.

The Neviller

The guy was ridiculously talented. Maybe by then his poor attitide and frequently reported incidents of arseholery had already clouded your judgement?

The Neviller

He was a world cup early on Welbeck, but he was right that he'd be an England regular.

Revan

Assumptionman
The guy was ridiculously talented. Maybe by then his poor attitide and frequently reported incidents of arseholery had already clouded your judgement?
It might be Nev. I watched quite a few games of reserves/U18 on the two years prior this (unfortunately on the last year I didn't watch that much) and I don't think that it was ever close between Pogba and Morrison. I always thought that Pogba will become a beast of a midfielder but never thought that Morrison would make it at a top club. It might be that because of his attitude, unconciously I decided to not see the things he offers though.

The Neviller

I don't get what's wrong with having a cigar, yeah it's bad for you but he isn't alone. Plenty of footballers smoke cigarettes and it contains the same chemicals as cigar.
Yeah it's probably no big deal. Most players try to hide it though, and only get found out when they're pictured having a sly puff. Ravel broadcasts it himself, coz e's gansta, innit? Zup zup say nada!

Revan

Assumptionman
He was a world cup early on Welbeck, but he was right that he'd be an England regular.
Well, yeah. My point was that he did many 'predictions' and 'comparison' on the past that were more to give young players confidence rather than what he really thought.

Welbeck becoming an England regular wasn't exactly Nostradamus predictions. I think that many people here did the same (predicting that he'll be an Enland regular) considering how talented Welbeck is, how good is his attitude and also considering that England wasn't exactly gifted up-front.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Those who watched the reserves/academy matches that season know that Morrison was at par, if not better than Pogba talent wise.
Those who didn't are talking bulllshit and nonsense.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Morrison definitely looked a better talent than Pogba in the U18's. Neither did too well in the reserves. Pogba was a bit hit and miss and I don't even remember seeing Morrison play much for the reserves.

The Neviller

It might be Nev. I watched quite a few games of reserves/U18 on the two years prior this (unfortunately on the last year I didn't watch that much) and I don't think that it was ever close between Pogba and Morrison. I always thought that Pogba will become a beast of a midfielder but never thought that Morrison would make it at a top club. It might be that because of his attitude, unconciously I decided to not see the things he offers though.
That one match against Liverpool that's been mentioned was probably enough to show you what he was capable of. Pogba was sent off (for dicking around with a penalty) IIRC, and Morrison took the game by the scruff of the neck and won it singlehandedly. He was immensely talented, but also seemed to be blighted by a not arsed attitude that will hold him back from being the player he could have been. It's sad, really.

The Neviller

Well, yeah. My point was that he did many 'predictions' and 'comparison' on the past that were more to give young players confidence rather than what he really thought.

Welbeck becoming an England regular wasn't exactly Nostradamus predictions. I think that many people here did the same (predicting that he'll be an Enland regular) considering how talented Welbeck is, how good is his attitude and also considering that England wasn't exactly gifted up-front.
And yet Morrison was probably more talented than Welbeck at a certain stage in their development. He could have been at this World Cup if he'd had half the commitment of other players. He's as talented, if not more so, than Barkley is.

Trizy

He's never gonna be the world beater he could have been, he just has the wrong attitude and a bad one at that. He might eventually realize he fecked up but it'll be too late by then. Best thing that could have happened for him was being sent with a buy back clause to Ajax, just to get him out of Manchester and England.

Oh well, the boat has sailed. Not the first player with huge potential that threw it away and it won't be the last either.