Ravel Morrison

NessunDorma

Don't take SAF seriously when he talks for young players. He does that just to give them confidence. Some of the examples are when he said that Welbeck will be playing on World Cup 2010 or when he compared Welbeck and Cleverley to Thiago Alcantara.
Described Tom Cleverley in 2011 as 'probably the best midfield player in Britain, potentially', and said of Phil Jones in 2013 that he could 'Arguably . . . be our best player ever'.

Now don't get me wrong. They are both talented young players, who do have bright futures ahead of them. But I think SAF was going slightly overboard in regards to them, and probably was with Morrison as well.

I do like Morrison's style though, and hope he can come good. Really exciting player to watch at his best, and with the right attitude, would probably be on the fringes of our first XI about now, and would certainly have started in some of the 'easier' league games over the last 2 seasons.

Revan

Assumptionman
Described Tom Cleverley in 2011 as 'probably the best midfield player in Britain, potentially', and said of Phil Jones in 2013 that he could 'Arguably . . . be our best player ever'.

Now don't get me wrong. They are both talented young players, who do have bright futures ahead of them. But I think SAF was going slightly overboard in regards to them, and probably was with Morrison as well.

I do like Morrison's style though, and hope he can come good. Really exciting player to watch at his best, and with the right attitude, would probably be on the fringes of our first XI about now, and would certainly have started in some of the 'easier' league games over the last 2 seasons.
I really doubt it. If you are extremeley talented (as many people here think that Morrison is) you'll still gonna make it. Of course, you won't become as good as you should be, but you'll still can become a great player. Balotelli has a terrible attitude (probably worse than Morrison) but that didn't stop him from playing (and winning titles) on Inter, Manchester City or Milan. Cassano had always a terrible attitude but still managed to play for Roma, Inter, Milano and Real Madrid.

With or without the attitude, I don't think that Morrison was ever on the top level quality players.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Managers always tend to overrate their players and can get somethings wrong too. Just because he claimed that Cleverley will be a great player doesn't mean his claim about Ravel was also wrong. In an extremely long managerial career, there's bound to be mistakes.

NessunDorma

I really doubt it
Darron Gibson got games for a few years. I certainly think Morrison could've, that being the case. Not saying he would've kicked on to become a regular (hence 'fringes'), but if he had the professionalism of say a Fletcher, than he would certainly have been given chances to prove himself.

There's nae doo' aboo' tha' (as they used to say).

The Neviller

I really doubt it. If you are extremeley talented (as many people here think that Morrison is) you'll still gonna make it. Of course, you won't become as good as you should be, but you'll still can become a great player. Balotelli has a terrible attitude (probably worse than Morrison) but that didn't stop him from playing (and winning titles) on Inter, Manchester City or Milan. Cassano had always a terrible attitude but still managed to play for Roma, Inter, Milano and Real Madrid.

With or without the attitude, I don't think that Morrison was ever on the top level quality players.
Balotelli has a bad attitude with regards to setting off fireworks at his house and being a silly twat, Morrison seemed to have more of an issue (certainly when at United) of not going to training and needing coaches to go at find him at whatever mates house he'd slept on the sofa at and drag him in. Balotelli, for all his idiocy and failings, actually seems committed to being a footballer. I'm not sure the same could (he might have wised up) have been said about Morrison.

He certainly was, and you're definitely downplaying his ability. He had the potential to be a mainstay in the United side, if he'd just knuckled down. Supremely gifted, and with more talent than a lot of players who have played a lot of games for us in the past. He was the main man in the team when Pogba was playing and definitely outshone him. He's a bigger regret for me than Pogba was, because at least Pogba is fulfilling his potential, even though it's not with us. It's sad to see how far Morrison's star has fallen.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
Darron Gibson got games for a few years. I certainly think Morrison could've, that being the case. Not saying he would've kicked on to become a regular (hence 'fringes'), but if he had the professionalism of say a Fletcher, than he would certainly have been given chances to prove himself.

There's nae doo' aboo' tha' (as they used to say).
Balotelli has a bad attitude with regards to setting off fireworks at his house and being a silly twat, Morrison seemed to have more of an issue (certainly when at United) of not going to training and needing coaches to go at find him at whatever mates house he'd slept on the sofa at and drag him in. Balotelli, for all his idiocy and failings, actually seems committed to being a footballer. I'm not sure the same could (he might have wised up) have been said about Morrison.

He certainly was, and you're definitely downplaying his ability. He had the potential to be a mainstay in the United side, if he'd just knuckled down. Supremely gifted, and with more talent than a lot of players who have played a lot of games for us in the past. He was the main man in the team when Pogba was playing and definitely outshone him. He's a bigger regret for me than Pogba was, because at least Pogba is fulfilling his potential, even though it's not with us. It's sad to see how far Morrison's star has fallen.
Playing games for us was definitely on him. Maybe I am underrating him but for me if he had fullfilled his potential he would have reached the level of Nani 2010-2012. Still a very good player but not the top quality on his position (like Pogba is for his position). Of course, his attitude means that he'll probably won't even reach Lennon's level.

@The Neviller I think that Balotelli problems (especially on Italy) were more than just burning his house. Cassano was even worse and suffered from a general lack of intelligence (he's proud that he's the only person on the world who has written more books than he has read) which resulted with him having all kind of problems including missing deliberately a lot of training or going on training but not bothering to train. Still, these players managed to be regulars on some of the top clubs in the world. I don't think that Morrison was on the level of top player, but yeah, it might be that I am just underrating him.

The Neviller

Playing games for us was definitely on him. Maybe I am underrating him but for me if he had fullfilled his potential he would have reached the level of Nani 2010-2012. Still a very good player but not the top quality on his position (like Pogba is for his position). Of course, his attitude means that he'll probably won't even reach Lennon's level.

@The Neviller I think that Balotelli problems (especially on Italy) were more than just burning his house. Cassano was even worse and suffered from a general lack of intelligence (he's proud that he's the only person on the world who has written more books than he has read) which resulted with him having all kind of problems including missing deliberately a lot of training or going on training but not bothering to train. Still, these players managed to be regulars on some of the top clubs in the world. I don't think that Morrison was on the level of top player, but yeah, it might be that I am just underrating him.
Maybe you are. Hard to tell when it's all ifs and maybes. I can only say what I see, and from watching the youth for quite a few years now (it's the only reason I have MUTV) Morrison excited me more than any of the young players I'd watched (including Pogba who was in the same team) and dare I say it, even Januzaj. I was convinced he'd make it to the top at United, just as much as I thought Pogba would. Those two were the stars of United's future for me, with Morrison being the brightest. Sad how it turned out with both.

Revan

Assumptionman
Maybe you are. Hard to tell when it's all ifs and maybes. I can only say what I see, and from watching the youth for quite a few years now (it's the only reason I have MUTV) Morrison excited me more than any of the young players I'd watched (including Pogba who was in the same team) and dare I say it, even Januzaj. I was convinced he'd make it to the top at United, just as much as I thought Pogba would. Those two were the stars of United's future for me, with Morrison being the brightest. Sad how it turned out with both.
Do you think that he was better or players like Morrison (flamboyant attacking players) tend to get noticed more than midfielders/defensive players when they are younger?

The Neviller

Do you think that he was better or players like Morrison (flamboyant attacking players) tend to get noticed more than midfielders/defensive players when they are younger?
I think he was better. He was genuinely that good at youth level. He looked like a certainty.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Such a shame that he couldn't rid himself of his chavish thuggary. All that talent and absolutely no brain to go with it.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
TWO women? How's he managed that? That's another level of scum.
We dont know the full story & we all know footballers are targeted by certain types of women, but Ravel has been a prick of the highest order for sometime now & he's run out of benefits of doubt..

If he did assault those two women, then he needs a kickin & then prison - after he's released from hospital..

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...-late-night-assaults-on-two-women-637882.html

Former Man United starlet accused of late-night assaults on two women

Thursday, July 31, 2014 - 08:52 AM

Premier League footballer Ravel Morrison has been charged with assaulting two women.

The 21-year-old, a former Manchester United starlet now playing for West Ham, is accused of attacking a young woman outside a bar in Manchester city centre in the early hours of Sunday morning.

He is also accused of assaulting the same woman and another 39-year-old woman hours later.

Morrison, from Urmston, Manchester, was arrested yesterday and has been charged with two counts of common assault.

He is due at Manchester and Salford Magistrates’ Court later today.

Oggmonster

When was the last time a semi-famous pro player got jailed? This idiot is just a lost cause.
Ched Evans was probably the latest one I'd imagine?

Don't find it sad at all. He's been given every opportunity to succeed. No sympathy for him, he doesn't deserve to succeed

I agree, don't feel sorry for him or find it a sad story. Just because he had a talent which was seen on a global scale, he's had plenty of chances and seemingly blew it every time. People have tried helping him and he just binned it off.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Big Sam just like Fergie wants to be rid of him

And the West Ham board or at odds with Sam over keeping Morrison? I think this latest incident proves yet again he is bad news

Bwuk

If Morrison had had Darren Fletchers attitude he could of went on to be one of our best players.

Idiot of a man.

Thisistheone

Such a talent wasted. Could have been the new Ryan Giggs but instead he's becoming the new Marlon King.

Oggmonster

Lets not jump the gun here boys. Nothing proven yet
Mud sticks unfortunately for Morrison, he's been in the courts and papers for stuff like this countless times so you can forgive people for assuming he's guilty in this.

What seems to be his downfall is he won't allow himself a clean break at all really. The alleged assaults happened in Manchester, where most his trouble seems to occur. I appreciate it would be hard to never return home but it seems to do him no good when he does come back here.

Thisistheone

Lets not jump the gun here boys. Nothing proven yet
True. It's become a sad case though that whenever this thread is bumped it's "what's he done now" rather than a football reason. When he scored that goal v Spurs last year I thought maybe he's turning a corner. But it hasn't been the case.

FromTheBench

It always seems one step forward and two back with him.

Seemed to be staying out of trouble for a while and starting to perform on the pitch at the start of last season (With people predicting WC callups etc..) and then just again started going downhill.

The Neviller

If true, the guy is just idiocy personified. Trouble everywhere he goes. If Fergie couldn't rein him in what chance has anyone else got?