Ravel Morrison

Jaybomb

He can still turn it around but this might be his last chance.

If he does start performing at a high level, I would welcome him back at United. But that's if he starts REALLY performing.

kundalini

In the last 3 seasons, Ravel has a total of 622 mins of playing time. He appears to have missed about 5 games through injury. QPR took him on loan in the winter transfer window. He made one start for them last season, 122 mins in total.

His career to date:

Man United - failure
West Ham - paid £600K for him. A few promising moments in the PL in a free role but ultimately left on a free transfer so that's another failure. West Ham won just one of the 13 PL games he started, 4 draws.
Birmingham (loan) - success
QPR (loan) - success
Cardiff (loan) - failure
Lazio - disaster, even his wages have been a ridiculous waste of money given he has only 161 mins in all competitions for them.
QPR (loan) - failure

There is very little evidence to suggest that even at his best, Morrison is a PL standard player. His successes have come at Championship level and more recently, he has failed in his last 2 loans at that level.

Serious question marks over whether Ravel is a team player.

Last edited:

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
His talent is beyond question. It's more about his inability to function in a professional working environment. Such a shame. Beautiful footballer
He has played 22 games in the last 3 seasons, scoring 0 goals. Talent isn't something that always sticks. It needs to be worked on to be maintained. It seems to me that Morrison is better suited for a job in Morrisons lol

ti vu

You could see he still had it when playing for Reading this season. He's really lacking fitness though, which is understandable given the lack of playing time he's had. I'm not sure how his off the pitch issues are these days but all I'll say is that I'd like nothing more than to see him make it here. Not going to happen obviously, but in an ideal world.
Not having consistency may understandably due to lack of gametime. Lack of fitness however is entire due to his lack of professionalism.

Why is this in United section?

He has played 22 games in the last 3 seasons, scoring 0 goals. Talent isn't something that always sticks. It needs to be worked on to be maintained. It seems to me that Morrison is better suited for a job in Morrisons lol
Summed it up. He had talent at youth level, but has never done anything of note as a first team player. Someone like Junuzaj has had a far better career than him, and at least he has a chance of a decent career in the long run. There are so many talented kids who never make it. People yearn after Morrison because he's not actually played enough for some people to see that he's not cut out to be a good player. He's only played 76 games in his career and the vast majority in the Championship, that's his level if he's lucky.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

#Lazio, #Morrison trains with #Birmingham under the careful observation of #Redknapp ⬇

Harry Redknapp said: 'Ravel has arrived to train with us for a few days and we will be watching it closely'.

Summed it up. He had talent at youth level, but has never done anything of note as a first team player. Someone like Junuzaj has had a far better career than him, and at least he has a chance of a decent career in the long run. There are so many talented kids who never make it. People yearn after Morrison because he's not actually played enough for some people to see that he's not cut out to be a good player. He's only played 76 games in his career and the vast majority in the Championship, that's his level if he's lucky.
People yearn for him because it was very clear at youth level he was one of the few who would make it at senior level if he pulled his finger out and worked for it. It's too late now, he got left behind and will never catch up. It's purely a case of what could have been.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The best thing for him at this moment in time is a consistent run in a Championship team and 'Arry appears willing to do that. It could easily be yet another false dawn though and he'll be looking for another club in January.
Possibly.... hopefully it clicks into place for him and he starts to look at players like waddle... wright... vardy who didn't make it to the top leagues till mid 20's and he will make the most of his talent.. .. probably not given the evidence to date but I hope he can

Jaapster

Well at least it made a bit of discussion I just want to address a couple of the comments
I coached kids for over twenty years so I did see loads of young talented footballers,
Ravel was once of those players I saw at a younger age , he was a genius
Secondly I'm not one of those that thinks what could have been , I always think what can be !
I never give up on people and I never will , call me deluded ? Probably

I honestly saw three players who blew me away when I saw them play , Ravel was one
Another was a seven year old with a left foot like a magic wand, he played too much football
And by the time he went to a club they told him his knees were gone at 11?
There is one more, I saw a young lad called Stephen humphries playing for chaddy end in a tournament
He now plays for Fulham signed a long contract and went on loan to Shrewsbury ,
Cracking player check him out on YouTube .

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Redknapp was on Talksport this morning talking about Ravel.

He said he's looked a class above everyone and does things on the training pitch that no one else does.

He also said that he told Ravel that he is the only mug in the country who would take a chance on him and that it is his last chance to show what he can do.

They also spoke about the bad influences in his life and poor life choices that have caused his 'career' to be the way it is.

MUFC OK

The lad has clearly got problems far bigger than football. By 23/24 talent alone can't carry you to a successful career.

Zlatattack

Yeah lets make an idiots XI. We'll get Balloteli, Morrison, Ben Arfa, Chad Evans, Adam Johnson, Nile Ranger...

opopop

Woodward should show up at Mourinhos office with Ravel, Balotelli and say theres your signings and walk out.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He will get a chance with Harry but he will most likely blow it because the guy appears to be a total waster.

MullerUtd

He would do well in the Chinese Super League, would fit in well there with Oscar.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
His talent is limited. He stood out when he was young but so do many players. He never made it somewhere and on top, seems to have the wrong attitude for a professional player. Another waste

SteveW

His talent is limited. He stood out when he was young but so do many players. He never made it somewhere and on top, seems to have the wrong attitude for a professional player. Another waste
Everyone's talent is limited. His talent is just a lot less limited than most.

I don't get the clamour on here to say he's not that talented. Most people who've played/worked with him say he's a genius. Rio Ferdinand said he'd pay money just to watch him train!

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

I don't get the clamour on here to say he's not that talented. Most people who've played/worked with him say he's a genius. Rio Ferdinand said he'd pay money just to watch him train!
That means very little if he can't actually do it on a match day. Tons of very talented players don't make it as professionals - many of them could be just as talented or even more so than Morrison. It takes luck and professionalism to make it as a pro as well as ability. You can be the most talented player in the world but if you don't care about your career or don't have the professionalism to train and work as part of a team you won't make it. Morrison should be used as a horror story to scare young players.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He can still turn it around but this might be his last chance.

If he does start performing at a high level, I would welcome him back at United. But that's if he starts REALLY performing.
You want all the dregs back at United don't you. So you just not want to replace your 2007 team poster on your wall?

SteveW

That means very little if he can't actually do it on a match day. Tons of very talented players don't make it as professionals - many of them could be just as talented or even more so than Morrison. It takes luck and professionalism to make it as a pro as well as ability. You can be the most talented player in the world but if you don't care about your career or don't have the professionalism to train and work as part of a team you won't make it. Morrison should be used as a horror story to scare young players.
Surely you get that I'm just talking about his natural talent? Everyone knows he's wasting his career. Old news.

Most threads about him here seem to be also full of people saying his talent is exaggerated etc. I'm just making the case that that's not really the case. On a football pitch he has absolutely everything. He's just not able to handle the other sides of being a pro footballer so his talent isn't utilised.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

Maybe at 15 or so. I dont buy this "it's all about attitude" thing as he didnt shine much on the pitch either. So he had some great skills, but lacked in so many other departments most likeyl, hence he had limited talent

PaulRich

Sorry but as far as Ravel Morrison is concerned sympathy is nothing more than a word in the dictionary in between shit and syphilis. When we were younger most if not all of us would have given their left bollock for half of the opportunity to represent Man Utd Ravel had. He's going to turn 30, look back and have the full horrors about what he's thrown away.

SteveW

Maybe at 15 or so. I dont buy this "it's all about attitude" thing as he didnt shine much on the pitch either. So he had some great skills, but lacked in so many other departments most likeyl, hence he had limited talent
Nothing you've said here is correct.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
If he had a more professional head on his shoulders he would be the best English player by a mile right now.

Worryingly we don't seem to be producing anyone with the same technical qualities as he has either i.e. Close control combined with skill, balance and vision.

Classical Mechanic

If he had a more professional head on his shoulders he would be the best English player by a mile right now.

Worryingly we don't seem to be producing anyone with the same technical qualities as he has either i.e. Close control combined with skill, balance and vision.
Mason Mount

Angel Gomes

Callum Gribbin has the ability too but it seems he can't be arsed either.

RooneyLegend

What did he lack? please explain?

RooneyLegend

he'll always have the chance to reach the pinnacle of world football because he actually doesn't have much to develop. He was pretty much complete as a youth player. If Harry really backs him, he'll be back on track in no time.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
What did he lack? please explain?
I dont know but maybe it was his football intelligence or something else. It's easier to stand out when you're younger (remember Freddy Adu?) but once you play with the big boys, your weaknesses will show. If not, he'd be a proper player by now, still standing out in games

devil in me

Absolutely nothing to suggest that a move to Birmingham will turn out any different to all his previous clubs, i.e. a waste of time.
The guy is a moron and in 12 months time we will have another thread about him at another low level championship club and how 'this is his last chance

togg

It's life...there are people in every profession who have a wonderful natural talent in their field, but for several reasons don't fulfil it and often destroy it.

RooneyLegend

I dont know but maybe it was his football intelligence or something else. It's easier to stand out when you're younger (remember Freddy Adu?) but once you play with the big boys, your weaknesses will show. If not, he'd be a proper player by now, still standing out in games
Nope, nothing to see there, he's actually pretty much a genius on the pitch. One of those players who always seem to do the right thing in a zidanesque way. His biggest weakness is that no one trusts him enough to play him enough. Even against big boys in 15 mins vs fulham he turned the match around.

lem8sh

Only thing that held him back is outside influences and his attitude. Ability wise he's as good as anything England have produced in decades, comparison with Adu is wholly wrong.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
The ship has sailed for him to have a top flight career IMO.

Birmingham would probably be a good move for him, 'arry seems to have gotten the most out of him of all the managers hes served under.

I think his next move will be the most important of his career post Utd. Hes still young enough to get his shit together and have some sort of career, but I think the max he'll reach at this stage will be championship level, maybe lower PL.. And that's if he manages to pull his head out of his arse, otherwise he'll end up retired at 28, telling stories of when he was at Utd for the rest of his life.

Sad really, because he had undeniable talent.
It would be interesting for him to be in the same team as John Terry and I recall Harry's team was the other team considering JT before he moved to Villa. I just wonder if JT could be a stabilising factor. Doubt we will ever know.

Jaybomb

You want all the dregs back at United don't you. So you just not want to replace your 2007 team poster on your wall?
I like to see our own become successful, what's wrong with that?

Barca have done it for years. We give up on our academy products too easily. (Not talking about Morrison here but guys like Keane, Januzaj, Drinkwater, etc)

SteveW

If anyone can get him to work it's Harry. Had him at QPR for his last run of consistent football. Still wouldn't hold out much hope though. He's too easily led astray