Ravel Morrison

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I said if that was the reason then that's wrong but if it was because he is satisfied with his current life = No training, no care, be a millionaire and play whenever he wants there's nothing wrong.
The fact that he has tried at united, west ham, Lazio, QPR and Birmingham would suggest it’s not a lack of training. Fergie himself sold him to west ham in order for him to get away from the crowd he was hangin with in Manchester. Thought that big Sam could save his career but he couldn’t either. Nor Harry Redknapp

He was the best player in the United reserves by a mile imho, even better than Pogba and lingard who are current first teamers. He literally has thrown his chance at a top career away because he couldn’t sort out his social life

Now he’s hiding from life in Mexico

I always had a romantic notion that he’d sort himself out and come back to united but that ship is long sailed

RooneyLegend

The fact that he has tried at united, west ham, Lazio, QPR and Birmingham would suggest it’s not a lack of training. Fergie himself sold him to west ham in order for him to get away from the crowd he was hangin with in Manchester. Thought that big Sam could save his career but he couldn’t either. Nor Harry Redknapp

He was the best player in the United reserves by a mile imho, even better than Pogba and lingard who are current first teamers. He literally has thrown his chance at a top career away because he couldn’t sort out his social life

I always had a romantic notion that he’d sort himself out and come back to united but that ship is long sailed
He's only 24, when you as talented as he is there's always hope.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Then he’s a waster
Yes and no.

I would say that most people that post here could be doing far better In their career if they applied Ronaldo-like efforts to get better at it. (Myself included obviously).

It's rare that people maximise their potential

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I remember he was rated at least as highly as Pogba in youth team back in those days. Potential wise I still think he was once near to Pogba level, which is of course becomes world class superstar level now. In this regard, what a massive waste.

golden_blunder

Staff
Yes and no.

I would say that most people that post here could be doing far better In their career if they applied Ronaldo-like efforts to get better at it. (Myself included obviously).

It's rare that people maximise their potential
Yes but obsessed like Ronaldo is extreme. He could start with normal effort.

A player of his ability and potential is literally wasting his talent currently

Needham

He's a professional footballer in a beautiful country on another continent. Life right there. Haven't got my hopes up but he might even be learning another language. Hiding from life would be padding the same streets with his uneducated entourage and seeing the same traffic every day.

golden_blunder

Staff
He's a professional footballer in a beautiful country on another continent. Life right there. Haven't got my hopes up but he might even be learning another language. Hiding from life would be padding the same streets with his uneducated entourage and seeing the same traffic every day.
We both know it’s not doing anything to kick start his football career. He needs to get his ass back to Europe. Get into the German league, that would make or break him and give him a shot at the PL again.

Go get a trial at BvB!

Mr. P Mosh

Aside from his record maybe preventing him from getting a visa in America, the quality in Mexico is higher than America.
Plus, unless he goes as a DP, the average starter in Liga MX makes more than a non DP MLS player, specially since Ravel came with "European" wages unlike most of the South American imports that come with way lower salaries than Liga MX.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Plus, unless he goes as a DP, the average starter in Liga MX makes more than a non DP MLS player, specially since Ravel came with "European" wages unlike most of the South American imports that come with way lower salaries than Liga MX.
Also not sure what % of his wages they are actually paying
But its reported here at around £9,500 a week
http://sportsmaza.com/football/s-s-lazio-players-salaries/
Birmingham apparently couldn't afford to make his deal permanent but did offer to extend his loan this season and contribute £3,000 to his wages... as such I can only conclude Atlas are paying him more than that but quite possibly not his whole wage?
His deal with Lazio expires in the summer so I assume he is now free to enter into a pre contract deal and move for free in the Summer
Wouldnt be surprised to see him pop up in the championship again to be honest

Gareth williams

Supports
Everton
We both know it’s not doing anything to kick start his football career. He needs to get his ass back to Europe. Get into the German league, that would make or break him and give him a shot at the PL again.

Go get a trial at BvB!

Haha as if Dortmund would give this loser a trial. He's mid 20s with a string of failures at crap premier league clubs and bang average championship 1s. He's playing for a midtable Mexican team. Dortmund are 1 of the best sides in Europe

Add to that he's a scumbag. Why would any top team take the risk with him

Mark Armstrong

Are we still talking about this guy? Sure, was a hotter prospect than Pogba at youth level....well, guess what, he blew it, end of story. He's carving out a living in the Mexican league, not because of some romantic notion of getting his career back on track, but because they'd take him and pay him and he probably hasn't a GCSE to his name. We've had plenty of huge potential youths fade over the years, let's try and get over Ravel with some dignity.

golden_blunder

Staff
Also not sure what % of his wages they are actually paying
But its reported here at around £9,500 a week
http://sportsmaza.com/football/s-s-lazio-players-salaries/
Birmingham apparently couldn't afford to make his deal permanent but did offer to extend his loan this season and contribute £3,000 to his wages... as such I can only conclude Atlas are paying him more than that but quite possibly not his whole wage?
His deal with Lazio expires in the summer so I assume he is now free to enter into a pre contract deal and move for free in the Summer
Wouldnt be surprised to see him pop up in the championship again to be honest
I hope so

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I hope so
like me you probably cnt bring yourself to write him off just yet because he had that much talent...

Most talented UK player (In terms of Raw ability) I think since Gazza... sadly it looks like Gazza's career is something he will never quite live up to but I still cant help but think

One year in the championship - either with somebody who gets promoted or plays well enough to get a move to a lower / mid tier premiership club and the penny finally drops with him... last chance and he starts to fulfill potential (yeah i know its a long shot) but if that happened he still has the talent to make it to the euros in 2020 - probably wont happen but I still hold out some (albeit slim) hope

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Are there any players who did manage to turn it around at this age?
Jamie Vardy would have still been at halifax or fleetwood then and hes done pretty well since
Ian Wright would have only been a pro for around a year and not played in the top flight
Drogba would just have been coming out of ligue2 in france to join Guingamp.

So its not impossible - even though even as somebody who would love to see it happen I will admit its very unlikley he does manage it

Last edited:

Number1

With his talent his career could have gone a different way and he could have gone onto to be something special within the game but end of the day, his career/life hasn't been a complete failure.

No matter what his footballing talents have made him a millionaire, probably will never have to do a normal job in his life, so if that's what people call 'failure' i wish i was a failure.

Foxbatt

Harry Redknapp said he was a model player when at Birmingham but the problem was with Lazio. So he is still young and obviously he still has got the talent and all he needs is the application. If he can get personal life sorted out then he can make it. 26 is not old to play good football especially his problems has got nothing to do with his football.

rojinegroz

I love the guy, hope we can manage to keep him at atlas until we get a proper manager and good sense of direction. The squad isn't as bad as everyone makes out to be, the Last Manager Was just a bit of an idiot. Doubt he'll stick around though especially since we only got him on loan. Would love to break the bank on him to keep him at the club.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
The book about his life will be interesting. Especially the West Ham chapter. Something wasn't right at all with how ended up getting treated there. If the rumours are true, Allardyce might have some more explaining to do.

Red_toad

Are there any players who did manage to turn it around at this age?
Depends what you mean turn it around? Plenty of very good players were in the none leagues in their 20's. His issues as Rio said are to do with mental capacity and focus. Shameful how some people are just going on like he's still roaming the streets of Manchester with his mates. He's not he's earning a living and getting on with his life. Hasn't been in bother with anyone for years, but some just can't let it go, as they're jealous they didn't get that chnaces he did.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Shameful how some people are just going on like he's still roaming the streets of Manchester with his mates. He's not he's earning a living and getting on with his life. Hasn't been in bother with anyone for years, but some just can't let it go, as they're jealous they didn't get that chnaces he did.
Unless you know him personally then your judgement is just as shite as ours is.

As for earning a living and getting on with his life, explain Lazio then? If you think he wasn't running back to Manchester and running with his old gang at every opportunity then you're blinkered beyond belief.

Once a twat, always a twat with people like Ravel. They don't learn, the penny never drops and they're impossibly susceptible to relapsing into old habits.

Red_toad

Unless you know him personally then your judgement is just as shite as ours is.

As for earning a living and getting on with his life, explain Lazio then? If you think he wasn't running back to Manchester and running with his old gang at every opportunity then you're blinkered beyond belief.

Once a twat, always a twat with people like Ravel. They don't learn, the penny never drops and they're impossibly susceptible to relapsing into old habits.
Hanging around with his mates in Manchester when he's home, isn't a crime as far as I'm aware. I don't recall ever saying he wasn't going back to Manchester every now and then, but he's staying out of trouble, unless you know better.

Lazio still have him contracted with them as far as I'm aware and as its a legally binding contract of employment, that'd be him earning his living.

Last bit, well that's incredibly judgemental and you really need to go have a word with yourself.

Handsome Devil

Depends what you mean turn it around? Plenty of very good players were in the none leagues in their 20's. His issues as Rio said are to do with mental capacity and focus. Shameful how some people are just going on like he's still roaming the streets of Manchester with his mates. He's not he's earning a living and getting on with his life. Hasn't been in bother with anyone for years, but some just can't let it go, as they're jealous they didn't get that chnaces he did.
I know, it's all relative isn't it? A bit like the alleged story about George Best caught in bed with Miss World, "where did it all go wrong George??!!" There are many players who developed later than usual like Jamie Vardy who have fought their way up to the top leagues. People see Ravel as having peaked early and not achieved his maximum potential but he is still young, who knows?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Struggling to get full games just lately.

28th Jan - played 90
3rd Feb - came on as a sub at half time
10th Feb - played 30 minutes, on as sub for Angelo Henriquez - remember him?
14th Feb - on for the last 6 minutes
18th Feb - Started, subbed off at half time for Henriquez

Edit: Apparently he was in the U20s on the 14th, played the first half and was on the bench later on for the senior side when he got those 6 minutes.

Last edited:

Chipper

Adulterer.
He might play for Jamaica - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43464306

Still not getting much game time in Mexico with his team bottom of league on 7 points after 12 games and now out of the cup. Don't know if he's been injured or just not favoured.

24th Feb: On in the 90th minute
28th Feb: Not in matchday squad
3rd Mar: As above
7th Mar: And again
10th Mar: On at half time
19th Mar: On for the last 10 minutes

Edit: When I say bottom of the league, they're bottom of the Clasura. They do that thing where they split the season into two with an Apertura and Clasura. Atlas were 8th out of 18 in the first half, rubbish form since then.

Looks like they take a points per game average over 3 seasons (6 half seasons) and only the team with the worst average gets relegated - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Liga_MX_season#Relegation_table
8 point cushion on Veracruz.

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Most LigaMX fans seem to rate him from what I've read.

They seem to do a lot of subs at half time in Mexico. Also see a lot of comments about Atlas bizarrely benching their better players.

I'd love to see him up in the MLS.

Possibly signing for Östersund FK in Sweden

SwedishFish

Looks like he's on his way to the Swedish League and Östersund FK. Their newly appointed technical director David Webb confirmed that they're in talks with his agent.

I think it would be a good place for him to go if he does, they have a history of making players with a dodgy past flourish and to reach their potential to at least some extent. Small tightly knit community way up north where there are not many distractions for a footballer.

I hope he accepts the challenge and goes on at least a short-term deal. All parts would likely benefit from it.

0le

"What's he done now" is the first thought that springs to mind whenever a Ravel Morrison thread is bumped.

Looks like he's on his way to the Swedish League and Östersund FK. Their newly appointed technical director David Webb confirmed that they're in talks with his agent.

I think it would be a good place for him to go if he does, they have a history of making players with a dodgy past flourish and to reach their potential to at least some extent. Small tightly knit community way up north where there are not many distractions for a footballer.

I hope he accepts the challenge and goes on at least a short-term deal. All parts would likely benefit from it.
I don't know how much a new move would help him, considering the same thing has been said about every move he has made.

He'll be in Åre every night of the week getting wrecked :lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
How he'd do in Mexico out of interest? Surprised he's still contracted to Lazio, he must've last played for them in 2016? According to wiki he joined in 2015 so surprised they gave him a 4 year deal given his dodgy career up to that date.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Thought he was going to Spain somewhere or other? Can't remember the team but there's another Morrison thread somewhere where people explained to the luddite that I am what instagram stories was. He'd announced it on there and I'd since forgotten all about it.

Guess he was blagging or it just fell through.

manunited1919

Looking Rio’s comments above and at how Morrison completely wrecked his career makes me remember George Best. Best used to be a party animal and womanizer too, but he still managed to be one of the top footballers of all time. What would be the main differences between Best and Morrison? Was Best just much more talented (Rio doesn’t think the young Morrison lacked any talent).

Red_toad

Looking Rio’s comments above and at how Morrison completely wrecked his career makes me remember George Best. Best used to be a party animal and womanizer too, but he still managed to be one of the top footballers of all time. What would be the main differences between Best and Morrison? Was Best just much more talented (Rio doesn’t think the young Morrison lacked any talent).
Different times, Best used to turn up pissed for training. Wouldn’t be tolerated now. Plus players are way more athletic nowadays. Modern game needs a lot of conditioning, back then Bestie could just rely on his natural skill.