Ravel Morrison

manunited1919

Different times, Best used to turn up pissed for training. Wouldn’t be tolerated now. Plus players are way more athletic nowadays. Modern game needs a lot of conditioning, back then Bestie could just rely on his natural skill.
Yes, that must be the main difference. It could also be that Best was not so much of a rebel type the way I think Morrison might be. Mentality is so important in a footballer, even more so now.

tieunhilang

Looks like he's on his way to the Swedish League and Östersund FK. Their newly appointed technical director David Webb confirmed that they're in talks with his agent.

I think it would be a good place for him to go if he does, they have a history of making players with a dodgy past flourish and to reach their potential to at least some extent. Small tightly knit community way up north where there are not many distractions for a footballer.

I hope he accepts the challenge and goes on at least a short-term deal. All parts would likely benefit from it.
Hope he goes for it. I am in a quite positive mood today so I'd like to say "Go for it, boy!". 25 years old is just half-way mark for a normal footballer. Jamie Vardy and Mahrez at that age were nobody too. With Morrison's talent, he can make it. He just needs to really put his head into it and reminds himself of why he got into football in the beginning. Even Drogba at his age wasn't a monster yet.

Reactions: jojojo

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Looking Rio’s comments above and at how Morrison completely wrecked his career makes me remember George Best. Best used to be a party animal and womanizer too, but he still managed to be one of the top footballers of all time. What would be the main differences between Best and Morrison? Was Best just much more talented (Rio doesn’t think the young Morrison lacked any talent).
Best went from an exemplary, obsessive, envious trainer (anyone he saw do something he couldn't he worked on) who wanted to prove himself to his peers and Europe's elite, to someone who was taken by the acclaim, fame, women and the entire lifestyle once he had 'made it'. By contrast, Ravel was always plagued by off-field issues and indiscipline ever since he made any kind of name for himself as one to watch.

Their career paths, mindsets and attitude towards the game itself are not alike - Best had the world at his feet and frittered it all away. Ravel frittered it all away before he even became a professional and is the greatest waste of talent England has known since Gazza, but even then, Gascoigne is more Best (above) than Ravel.

I can't think of another potential elite, world class level player who was a waste before he even turned pro. It beggars belief.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Looking Rio’s comments above and at how Morrison completely wrecked his career makes me remember George Best. Best used to be a party animal and womanizer too, but he still managed to be one of the top footballers of all time. What would be the main differences between Best and Morrison? Was Best just much more talented (Rio doesn’t think the young Morrison lacked any talent).
Laughable comparison. Best proved he was one of the greatest players of all time, Morrison has proven absolutely nothing and is a complete unknown outside of Utd supporters.

Ekeke

Laughable comparison. Best proved he was one of the greatest players of all time, Morrison has proven absolutely nothing and is a complete unknown outside of Utd supporters.
And West Ham, where he had a decent spell before his relationship with the manager fell apart.

SwedishFish

I think he'd do well in the Swedish league, it's not an easy league but it's definitely below Liga MX quality wise. David Webb used to be a scout for Tottenham and worked with player recruitments for Bournemouth so he's obviously got a keen eye for untapped talent that could improve a team. It might very well be last chance saloon for Ravel but at least he'll most likely get playing time which is the most important thing at this stage really, can't see him go anywhere else if he doesn't put the effort in for Östersund. He'll go the route of Emmanuel Frimpong if he fails there.

Reactions: Penna

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Best went from an exemplary, obsessive, envious trainer (anyone he saw do something he couldn't he worked on) who wanted to prove himself to his peers and Europe's elite, to someone who was taken by the acclaim, fame, women and the entire lifestyle once he had 'made it'. By contrast, Ravel was always plagued by off-field issues and indiscipline ever since he made any kind of name for himself as one to watch.

Their career paths, mindsets and attitude towards the game itself are not alike - Best had the world at his feet and frittered it all away. Ravel frittered it all away before he even became a professional and is the greatest waste of talent England has known since Gazza, but even then, Gascoigne is more Best (above) than Ravel.

I can't think of another potential elite, world class level player who was a waste before he even turned pro. It beggars belief.
I what way did Gazza waste his talent in the way that Morrison has? He is clearly of the mould of Best rather than Morrison, there is no question about that.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I what way did Gazza waste his talent in the way that Morrison has? He is clearly of the mould of Best rather than Morrison, there is no question about that.
I think you've mis-read.

Also, per talent, Gascoigne should have gone much further than he did.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Morrison never really had any talent, or rather no one saw it outside the United youth team watchers.

Best was a first team regular at 17 & Gascoigne at 18, Morrison was no were near the first team at that age.

feck, Rooney was a first team regular at 17. That is talent, Morrison had nothing compared to those 3.

There is so much hype around this layer, it's unreal. He's a nobody who's done nothing in the game and never will.

SAFMUTD

He is a really really average player at most, I don´t see how he was able to get so much hype. He played in Atlas in Mexico, just to add some context Atlas is a bottom table team and he wasnt even in the starting XI. If he isnt able to start at a bottom table team in Liga Mx how the hell is he a current topic in this forum? incredible.

MrEleson

He is a really really average player at most, I don´t see how he was able to get so much hype. He played in Atlas in Mexico, just to add some context Atlas is a bottom table team and he wasnt even in the starting XI. If he isnt able to start at a bottom table team in Liga Mx how the hell is he a current topic in this forum? incredible.
It’s crazy isn’t it. He’s made a heck of a living from all the hype too when in truth he’s probably no better than most players in the conference who won’t get close to the amount Ravel would have already made in his career.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
It’s crazy isn’t it. He’s made a heck of a living from all the hype too when in truth he’s probably no better than most players in the conference who won’t get close to the amount Ravel would have already made in his career.
So Rio Ferdinand knows nothing when he says possibly the best he's ever seen at the academy? Almost all experts agree he was exceptional. It all means nothing but let's not pretend he didn't have talent.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
There is a reason fans at pretty much every club he's been at love him and it isnt because he is conference level.

fecking hell, clueless

UncleBob

Morrison never really had any talent, or rather no one saw it outside the United youth team watchers.

Best was a first team regular at 17 & Gascoigne at 18, Morrison was no were near the first team at that age.

feck, Rooney was a first team regular at 17. That is talent, Morrison had nothing compared to those 3.

There is so much hype around this layer, it's unreal. He's a nobody who's done nothing in the game and never will.
Never really had any talent :lol:

Christ. Easily regarded as one of the biggest talents we've had, he just didn't have the mentality for it. Comparing him to Best, Rooney and Gascoigne and using those 3 as a stick to beat him with is absolutely mental.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Different times, Best used to turn up pissed for training. Wouldn’t be tolerated now. Plus players are way more athletic nowadays. Modern game needs a lot of conditioning, back then Bestie could just rely on his natural skill.
Best wasn't showing up pissed for training in his teens, he was working hard and he was reliable enough to be in the first team when he was 17, and helping United win trophies not long after. Even as the booze started to kick in, he was still one of our hardest trainers - and one who sometimes worked alone on setpieces etc. He had natural talent, but he didn't take it for granted, he worked on it.

Anyway, Morrisons been on the road for a few years now. Hopefully he's grown up enough to be ready to have another go. If he has, then I can only wish him luck. It would be nice to see him put at least some of his skills to use.

Nucks

RT History Department
Sometimes guys who have incredible natural talent, never learn to work. They spend their formative years skating by on that talent effortlessly being the best and most talented, and then eventually, guys not as talented, but guys who work hard, surpass them, and it's generally too late for them to suddenly develop a work ethic.

Judas

Open to offers
He was worthy of every single bit of hype he got when he was with us. It wasn’t overblown in the slightest, there’s a reason why anyone who knows anything in football have always praised the potential he had. It’s not only sad for him what ended up happening to his career, it’s tragic for the club too.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Never really had any talent :lol:

Christ. Easily regarded as one of the biggest talents we've had, he just didn't have the mentality for it. Comparing him to Best, Rooney and Gascoigne and using those 3 as a stick to beat him with is absolutely mental.
I really don't see how someone with his, by all accounts, mercurial talent, shouldn't be compared to the likes of those 3.

pascell

Thought he was going to Spain somewhere or other? Can't remember the team but there's another Morrison thread somewhere where people explained to the luddite that I am what instagram stories was. He'd announced it on there and I'd since forgotten all about it.

Guess he was blagging or it just fell through.
Espanyol iirc, I remember seeing it a while ago.

lsd

The Oracle
Having talent as a youth player is not the same as having talent in your 20s.

How many players were lauded as superstars in the youth team and never made the step up .

Ravel never made the step up and never will

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Wasn't he selected for the England U-16s and U-18s?

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Anyone thinking he wasn't talented needs to watch the youth cup final Vs Liverpool. He was sensationally gifted, certainly a generational English talent like Gazza/Rooney. Yes they achieved far more than him, no one is arguing they didn't, they're saying he had as much potential as them.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Januzaj was more impressive than him in the first team (so He's proven it to a certain extent) and He never caused a big problem for the club, yet He didn't make it here.. Let alone someone like Ravel...

Classical Mechanic

Wasn't he selected for the England U-16s and U-18s?
In his best moment he was selected for England u21 and looked really great. This was when he was at West Ham and was putting in some impressive displays in the PL. He sullied it by starting a fight with his own teammate Will Zaha in one game though.

Things always go tits up for him because he doesn’t train and is very unprofessional.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Ravel Morrison will always be a topic of conversation on a Manchester United forum as he is the greatest waste of God-given talent the club has ever seen. Until someone else comes along and takes that mantle from him, his infamy will precede him by some margin even decades from now. His case is unique for the fact he didn't even get himself the career he should have had before pissing it all away. He was moved on from United because we couldn't handle him and gave up in the end beings as he wasn't even trying to meet us in the middle - in terms of talent, he would have got a proper shot and run in the team here, without a doubt, but without professionalism or a care for the life a United representative should lead, he took all of that away, which is incredulous, but just goes to show how much of a special case he actually is and why he will go down in the annuls of our history for throwing away millions of pounds and a career as a proper top league earner rather than some nomadic soul no club he should be playing for wants to touch with a barge pole.

Thiagoal

Those saying Ravel was nothing more than a good youth player should watch some of his West Ham performances! There was an excitement and clamour for him to get an England call up!

As ever though, his poor attitude and ability to alienate himself from his colleagues lead to his demise!

LFCFAN

Supports
Liverpool
WOW! Serious question mate. Have you ever seen Ravel Morrison play football.

SteveW

Ravel had no talent now apparently. Why do people always come out with this nonsense?

He's one most naturally gifted players I've ever seen. He was streets ahead of Pogba and Lingard in the youth teams and was an absolute pleasure to watch. He was incredibly entertaining. Rio said hed pay to watch him train not to mind play a match.

Those who didn't watch him in the youths and reserves missed out on some beautiful unique football. If the had watched they wouldn't question his talent. The fact that he wasted it is a shame for everyone because Ravel at his full potential would have been one of football's great players and entertainers.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It's rubbish saying he was average or had no talent. We've all seen him play, we know what he was capable of. We're talking about a player that was looking better than the brilliant Paul Pogba only months before Pogba was making a name for himself in Turin.

In addition to that, look at the way all these well respected coaches, managers, ex players such as Rio Ferdinand talked about him. They knew what he was capable of and what was ultimately thrown away.

Utdstar01

Anybody here saying he was average or overhyped clearly didn't see what he was capable of when he was playing for the U18s and reserves.

UncleBob

I really don't see how someone with his, by all accounts, mercurial talent, shouldn't be compared to the likes of those 3.
You really don't see the issue with stating that he had feck all talent because he didn't have the same career trajectory as Best, Gascoigne and Rooney. Well, I'm not entirely sure how I can be of any assistance then, everyone has their limits.

Morrisons problem has never been his talent, it's been his mentality. Not sure why anyone would disagree with that.
‘Ravel Morrison might be the saddest case,’ Ferguson wrote in his 2015 autobiography. ‘He possessed as much natural talent as any youngster we ever signed, but kept getting into trouble. It was very painful to sell him… he could have been a fantastic player. But, over a period of years, the problems off the pitch continued to escalate and we had little option but to cut the cord.’

Rio Ferdinand even offered to let him stay at his house to keep him out of trouble.

He pleaded guilty to two fecking cases of witness intimidation, and people think it was his talent on the pitch that was the issue....

If you want to stay convinced that he was a talentless knob and that's why he's had the career he's had, then by all means, but anyone who has spent time watching him in his early days will disagree (about the talentless bit)

lsd

The Oracle
Loads of players were talented as youth players but never transferred it to the first team .

Morrison is not unique here in not making the step up . A handful of moments in West ham doesn't mean he was the greatest talent ever .

He has been given so many chances by teams to prove he can make that step up and be a professional and he has failed time and time again.

Lazio and Atlas would have given him games had they felt he was good enough . The fact they didn't says it all .

A good youth and reserve player that couldn't make the final step that Is all he will ever be

Loads of players were talented as youth players but never transferred it to the first team .

Morrison is not unique here in not making the step up . A handful of moments in West Ham doesn't mean he was the greatest talent ever .

He has been given so many chances by teams to prove he can make that step up and be a professional and he has failed time and time again.

Lazio and Atlas would have given him games had they felt he was good enough . The fact they didn't says it all .

A good youth and reserve player that couldn't make the final step that Is all he will ever be
I agree - there are so many examples from other clubs who have fantastically talented youth players who don’t make it. It’s not unique, he’s done nothing of note in the men’s game. Lots of players get bigged up by clubs. Fergie said Jones was the next Duncan Edwards FFS, then we have Macheda who was the next Ronaldo, Thornley was the next Best.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
To play the middle man, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Definitely showed serious signs of promise, as say a player like Robinho. Both were disappointing, Morrison way more so as he didn't even make the first hurdle of the big league.

TsuWave

To play the middle man, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Definitely showed serious signs of promise, as say a player like Robinho. Both were disappointing, Morrison way more so as he didn't even make the first hurdle of the big league.
I know you stressed Morrison was way more disappointing but to even mention them in the same sentence is crazy to me. Robinho has a better career than most football players can ever dream of. yes, relative to the promise he showed, perhaps he underachieved, but the guy had a really good career. Titles at Real and Milan.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I know you stressed Morrison was way more disappointing but to even mention them in the same sentence is crazy to me. Robinho has a better career than most football players can ever dream of. yes, relative to the promise he showed, perhaps he underachieved, but the guy had a really good career. Titles at Real and Milan.
He was being talked about as best in world levels, rightly or wrongly. So my point was more about the fact that sometimes players are overrated.

But yes not a perfect comparison. Robinho might have achieved his potential and was just over rated. You certainly cant say the same for Ravel who surely should have done better than he has.

SteveW

For the "Ravel never really had the talent" weirdos on here. You almost remind me of flat earthers or something.

Josh King's take on him