RAWK goes into Meltdown 2010/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Stove

the one player they got that I (half) wished we got is Suarez.

Otherwise they look pretty darn average.
Seems like a cocky little fecker that one, but yeah he's talented.

So their big transfers strategy this summer, that is supposed to take them back to the top seem to consist of signing players like Adam and Downing.. Those look like Newcastle / Aston Villa type of acquisitions to me. Clubs that have a bit of money but not really the ability to attract top class players. Not big money signings for a club that will consider anything less than Champions League qualification a failure.

They seem to be dreaming of Mata over there, but I would be surprised to see a player of his stature signing with them at this point.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
He looked like a girl,
who pissed in the wind,
He plays like a girl,
who's had Giggsys thing,

Stuffed right up
Her chocolate Ring,
Oh Fernando,
The Kop still sings

That fairly silly song;
That goes on and on,
But you walked through that storm
and found a new job,

Which, ironically:
No Scouser shall achieve
No More Mersey,
He scored once for Chelsea I believe.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Seems like a cocky little fecker that one, but yeah he's talented.

So their big transfers strategy this summer, that is supposed to take them back to the top seem to consist of signing players like Adam and Downing.. Those look like Newcastle / Aston Villa type of acquisitions to me. Clubs that have a bit of money but not really the ability to attract top class players. Not big money signings for a club that will consider anything less than Champions League qualification a failure.

They seem to be dreaming of Mata over there, but I would be surprised to see a player of his stature signing with them at this point.
really makes you wonder about all the money backing these new owners of theirs are bringing in eh?

next year again scousers ;)

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde

Sums up my exact thoughts about their signings so far and who they're supposedly close to signing. As I posted in another thread I don't think we'll see them signing a player of Torres/Mascherano quality for quite a few years, especially not with Spurs and City rising. Liverpool might even have to go for the cups to get into Europe.

The thought of Liverpool's highlight of the season being a League Cup win just so they can get into Europa League pleases me.

Iron Stove

Sums up my exact thoughts about their signings so far and who they're supposedly close to signing. As I posted in another thread I don't think we'll see them signing a player of Torres/Mascherano quality for quite a few years, especially not with Spurs and City rising. Liverpool might even have to go for the cups to get into Europe.

The thought of Liverpool's highlight of the season being a League Cup win just so they can get into Europa League pleases me.
Yeah, there's no doubt that Champions League qualification has become a lot harder. There's a lot of time before the transfer window closes, but I don't see them managing to finish top 4 next year at this point.

alastair

ignorant
It's not just the fact they're signing Newcastle/Villa level players, it's the fact they're paying Real Madrid/Barcelona level prices for them.
Suarez is a quality player.

Henderson doesn't look that amazing, but he's young and has potential. If United had signed him, it'd be passed off as a masterstroke and a great signing for the future.

Adam would be a good squad player - but that's not what Liverpool need right now. That'd be a poor signing.

Overall, Liverpool haven't done too bad in the transfer window given they finished 6th last year.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Henderson doesn't look that amazing, but he's young and has potential. If United had signed him, it'd be passed off as a masterstroke and a great signing for the future.

Adam would be a good squad player - but that's not what Liverpool need right now. That'd be a poor signing.

Overall, Liverpool haven't done too bad in the transfer window given they finished 6th last year.
Please check the comments on Henderson when we were being linked to him. People need to stop using this line.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict

This is bollocks - the Henderson thread was very cold on here long before Liverpool got involved.

alastair

ignorant
Please check the comments on Henderson when we were being linked to him. People need to stop using this line.
There's a difference though. If you'd actually signed him, you'd have said Sir Alex knows best(understandably). Given you didn't sign him, your initial doubts are now expressed.

Amir

There's a difference though. If you'd actually signed him, you'd have said Sir Alex knows best(understandably). Given you didn't sign him, your initial doubts are now expressed.
Look at the people in the Ashley Young thread hoping the deal falls through. People love Sir Alex, but they don't always fully appreciate his judgement...

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
You seem to like to speak for the entire United fanbase, when you don't have a clue what people think.

Better players than Henderson have received a lukewarm reception upon signing, so not sure why it would be different for him.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Liverpool will be a hard team to beat next season. A little bit like us in the eighties.

They have a lot of energy players, and with Suarez and Carroll they are dangerous to all teams. They will not win the EPL but one their day they can beat anyone.

I think Henderson will be a good signing. A good place for a ambitious young man who is not good enough to play for the top 3 teams.

Talking Vulture

He's shit, move on.
Liverpool will be a hard team to beat next season. A little bit like us in the eighties.

They have a lot of energy players, and with Suarez and Carroll they are dangerous to all teams. They will not win the EPL but one their day they can beat anyone.

I think Henderson will be a good signing. A good place for a ambitious young man who is not good enough to play for the top 3 teams.
Um, we were fecking shit in the 80's :lol:

rocks13

Yes, but given that Sir Alex knows best and decided not to sign him I guess he agrees with most non-Liverpool fans............... Henderson isn't that great.

Excal

Kinell, we're not at all spoiled are we? We had 7 top four finishes from 1980 - 1989. We weren't what we are today, and we certainly weren't the most dominant team back then, but we were hardly shit.

Talking Vulture

He's shit, move on.
Kinell, we're not at all spoiled are we? We had 7 top four finishes from 1980 - 1989. We weren't what we are today, and we certainly weren't the most dominant team back then, but we were hardly shit.
Then you never had the (mis)fortune to see us week in, week out. I did.

We put in some fantastic performances during the 80's but if Bryan Robson wasn't playing, we never turned up. One of the worst days of my life was Sept 23rd 1989. I don't really need to elaborate what went on then....

We had some stand out games but mainly in the cup comps. League, we were shit. No denying it.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Yeah, there's no doubt that Champions League qualification has become a lot harder. There's a lot of time before the transfer window closes, but I don't see them managing to finish top 4 next year at this point.
There's plenty of time left for new signings yes, but when you consider the money they spent in January and so far this window I can't really see them signing new players that would actually make a noticeable difference to their first eleven.

Building up a big squad doesn't make much sense to me either. They're not in Europe next year, so they won't need a big squad unless they're very unlucky with injuries (or if they go for the League Cup as I suggested ;)). Getting new defenders/wingers should be of much higher priority than adding extra people to an already decent midfield, especially considering they've got some young players coming through who've shown they're pretty decent. I simply don't understand the strategy.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

We put in some fantastic performances during the 80's but if Bryan Robson wasn't playing, we never turned up. One of the worst days of my life was Sept 23rd 1989. I don't really need to elaborate what went on then....

We had some stand out games but mainly in the cup comps. League, we were shit. No denying it.
Then I stand correct. (as it if important..)

On their day they will be difficult to beat. I didn't say they will win every game but with young talented players like Carroll and Suarez they are a danger to every team, including us.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.

they will be hard to beat. Tactically Dalglish is pretty sharp.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Scholesy said:
I would have paid up to £30M for Jones, he is a superb talent.
RAWK poster 1 said:
Wish you had the purse strings at Old Trafford. You could fork out £25 million for Young while you were at it.
RAWK poster 2 said:
Why are we making any such comments when we've spent £20m on Henderson and £35m on Carroll?
:lol:

Excal

Confused and stupid RAWKite said:
anyone have a source for the £25m jones fee?
The source for that is some dim scouser with shite in his ear who heard Kean say "Twenty-point-five million" (the price including all the add-ons) that hasn't done maths since he was seven and concluded that what Kean actually said was "Twenty-five million", and the rest of you eejits have, desperate to believe you have at long last gotten one over on us, tried to pretend that was the actual number.

Ole'sbodyguard

Saying we were shite is an exageration. Big Ron never finished lower than 4th and he was United manager for most of the 80's. Fergie had us finishing second in 88. Only really two piss poor league seasons in 86/87 and 88/89 before things got alot better very quickly.

The 70's were United's shite period. The 80's were alright but nothing special.

Cold_Boy

But the point is that he didn't.

Means Henderson is not that good.

fatboy

The source for that is some dim scouser with shite in his ear who heard Kean say "Twenty-point-five million" (the price including all the add-ons) that hasn't done maths since he was seven and concluded that what Kean actually said was "Twenty-five million", and the rest of you eejits have, desperate to believe you have at long last gotten one over on us, tried to pretend that was the actual number.
Whatever add-ons there may be, I wonder if they'll count this as a trophy. If so, they're well on their way to another treble this coming season.

EricaNo7

agree with all of this.

One minute we were looking great ( 3-1 Liverpool ) the next we were terrible ( 1-0 Middlesbrough )

Talking Vulture

He's shit, move on.
Re: us in the 80's. Even though we only won 2 FA Cups, I loved following United then. Even though we were shit a lot of the time, we did put in some proper United performances.

The start of the 85/86 season is still my favourite ever. Then Robson got injured.....

EricaNo7

Re: us in the 80's. Even though we only won 2 FA Cups, I loved following United then. Even though we were shit a lot of the time, we did put in some proper United performances.

The start of the 85/86 season is still my favourite ever. Then Robson got injured.....
Was it ten games won ? I can't remember now but I knew even then it wouldn't last. Like Neil Webb's first game for us, he scored in a 4-1 over Arsenal. That euphoria didn't last long either. It was when we signed Schmeichel and Irwin that I thought, this could be the start of something.

Waltraute

She-Devil
Was it ten games won ? I can't remember now but I knew even then it wouldn't last. Like Neil Webb's first game for us, he scored in a 4-1 over Arsenal. That euphoria didn't last long either. It was when we signed Schmeichel and Irwin that I thought, this could be the start of something.
Yes, ten games. I can still recall the excitement! I wasn't as cynical/realistic as you and really thought we were finally going to win the league -- I was really giddy, I have to admit.

With hindsight I might agree we were a bit shite in the 80s, but I never really felt like that back then. Severe disappointments, absolutely -- but to borrow Vulture's expression, we "did put in some proper United performances", didn't we? And Robbo was our captain. I remember those days as great times in many ways, and I can't recall much moaning and bitterness in the support, at least not anything approaching RAWKesque levels.

I suspect the difference is that now every moaner can easily communicate with their fellow moaners all across the globe, feeding off each other. The result is RAWK.

Talking Vulture

He's shit, move on.
Yeah, 10 wins on the spin and then a draw v Sheff Wed I think. Some of the football played was sublime. We ended up finishing 4th in a 2 horse race.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 4-1 opening day win v Arsenal set the giddiness levels to maximum, maybe out-giddying cITEH and the scousers for a bit. Coupled with Knighton doing his kick ups infront of the Stretford End, we thought we were about to witness a new age at Utd.

Then reality hit home - we drew 1-1 at Palace then lost 2-0 at Derby, where literally 10,000 reds rocked up to the Baseball Ground. Again, Knighton was on the pitch trying to calm all the fans down! The headline in the Sunday's read "Knighton stops riot" or something similar :)

I think we won our next game 5-1 v Millwall then the game we won't mention ever again happened a week later :(

acnumber9

Granted Suarez has a little bit of quality about him but look at his scoring record for Liverpool. It's not that great, yet due to a good performance against Utd he's being considered a success already. When you factor in the prices Liverpool have paid for these players then you have validation for questioning them. For the money they've spent they should be accumalating better players than Suarez, Carroll, Henderson etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.