RAWK Goes Into Meltdown | 2013/14

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
They look hopelessly uncreative. I mean Aspas as a no.10 is laughable. Suarez will need to have a good season for them to have a half decent chance.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
We get pressed and we play poorly. Joe Allen is needed.

Ref was a c*nt... This is the third time he has been in charge at Anfield and guess what.. Yes we have lost all 3 of those matches...

Have we EVER won a game when a stone wall penalty isn't given to us? I know I'm superstitious but the moment the ref didn't give that, I just really felt we'd lose.

they were aggressive and they won most shoulder charge duels...they were also coming a lot from behind and unbalanced our players by pushing them, just enough to unbalance and just enough not to make a foul

It was actually a bit Hodgson-esque.

Bottled it, that defeat might do us some good seemed like we were scared to lose. Why the feck do we not dominate possession anymore?

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
One eye on the next match against the Mancs I suspect.. Only the capital one cup but he wants a trophy and to beat the Mancs would be massive!
Looks like they are intent on taking the Man City cup.

dicko

Now that he has given the entire secret away.....can't we all just copy it?

The system is the king, not the individual. That’s what we’ve been told, and the uncompromising approach to squad restructuring certainly demonstrates that it the case. A system oriented approach needs specific qualities in the players throughout the squad to work effectively, as any player should be able to step into the team and compliment the system.

So what does the system require from the individuals that make up the team and how does a system work to get the most from its component parts to maximise the overall effectiveness of the team?

Cohesion has been defined as “a group of individuals thinking, feeling and acting as a single unit” (Tutko and Richards, Psychology of Coaching). How can a team with an ever-changing combination of players become a cohesive group?

In this article I’m going to attempt to explore some of the parameters that affect the thinking and acting elements of this definition of cohesion. Specifically, I will discuss the perceptual and decision-making processes that influence how effective footballers can be at executing fast, combination attacks. This will then allow us to see which types of footballers will thrive in a system that is reliant on a high degree of cohesion.

The process of making a decision is influenced by two factors, firstly, the person’s interpretation of the current environment and secondly, by memories stored from previous experiences.

Limited Channel Capacity

The skill to accurately interpret the current environment is our first obstacle to overcome. We constantly take in sensory information that tells us about the present environment. This is received by our sense organs and stored for a very short time in our short-term sensory stores. From here, this data is filtered, and most of it discarded, however some of it, which the brain interprets as important, is moved into our short term memory. We have to discard most of the sensory information before it reaches our short-term memory, as we are incapable of processing all of that data. We have a Limited Channel Capacity.

To test how well you filter information, watch this video and count the number of passes the team in white makes. I’d be very impressed if you can get this right.

The implications of a Limited Channel Capacity for sports people are significant. The process of filtering information is a subconscious one and happens instantly. It explains why we genuinely didn’t ‘see’ our teammate (who was waving and shouting at the top of his voice) standing completely unmarked, six yards out from goal, even though we were looking straight at him. Our eyes picked up the visual data, but it got filtered as our processing capacity was divided between worrying about the defender running at us and keeping control of the ball.

Someone with good ‘vision’ on the football pitch might not have 20/20 vision, and equally, someone with great eyes might not be able to ‘see’ very much on the pitch. The skill is to filter information effectively, which is a combination of not needing to attend to some of the basics very much (like ball control) and being able to recognise the most important sensory information while ignoring the rest.

Interpreting the Data

Once we have filtered the data appropriately, we now need to make sense of it. This is where information in our short-term memory is compared with information in our long term memory to decode it.

Look at this image. What do you see?

There is no cube in the picture, but your brain is still able to ‘see’ it using the information available and your previous experience of seeing cubes.

We rely on pattern recognition, which again comes down to experience. If I showed you a random series of eleven red and eleven blue dots on a rectangle, you’d probably find it difficult to recall the next day. But if these dots looked like a 4-4-2 versus a 4-3-3, you’d recognise them immediately and be able to reconstruct the image on another day.

Patterns allow us to chunk objects together to identify them as one body instead of discrete entities. Experienced chess players will instantly recognise this pattern:

But those who think a Sicilian Defence is a Godfather-inspired legal phrase won’t recognise this common opening position.

The ability of a player to recognise specific patterns that occur in open play will enable them to predict how play will unfold and recognise opportunities to exploit unbalanced defences.

As well as pattern recognition and chunking of different elements, it helps players to be able to recognise and use Advanced Cues. A basic example of an Advanced Cue might be a player running up to take a corner kick. You know when the ball will be kicked before it is, as you have the Advanced Cue of the player’s run-up. However, skilful individuals will be able to make use of much more detail from advanced cues, such as the direction a pass will go, or which direction the player will dribble a ball.

From a team cohesion point of view, predictability of movement from your teammates is essential. Using triggers as Advanced Cues to indicate what you want a teammate to do is something well drilled teams do automatically.

I’ve been encouraged by the movement of Aspas from the little I’ve seen of him, as he uses movement to indicate where and when he wants the ball. He needs players around him who can read these triggers, and in Coutinho, he has someone who can.

As a side-note on the use of Advanced Cues, a look-away pass is an example of someone using a false Advanced Cue to disguise a pass. However, the best defenders will know not to watch the head of the player, but to make use of other cues. One of the problems that arises with players who are deceptive, is they don’t just confuse their opponents, but their teammates too. It is certainly one of the reasons unpredictable players are sometimes surplus to requirements in a passing and combination based system.

Decision Making

Hick's Law states that the more choices someone has, the longer it takes to make a decision. Therefore, by having specific patterns that are worked on in training, and rules that simplify the decision making process, the speed of decision-making can be increased.

Stanley Matthews wrote in his autobiography about his understanding with Stan Mortensen. When he got around a full back to the goal line, he would pull the ball back to a specific place every time, and Mortensen just had to make sure he was there. In modern football, with the role of video analysis and the knowledge even casual observers of the game have about players’ tendencies to do certain things, a simple attacking move such as that wouldn’t work after a while as defenders would also know it was going to happen. However, having a series of principles will help reduce the number of options the player on the ball might have, speeding up the decision making process.

In addition, previous experiences influence future decisions. If we have made a decision in a given situation and been successful, we are more likely to make the same decision in a similar situation. Conversely, if we have made a decision that has not been successful, we may be less likely to repeat it.

Rodgers talks a lot about players needing courage to play and maintain possession; he wants players to feel good about making correct decisions. Essentially, you cannot criticise a bad execution of a correct decision if you want the correct decision to be made again.

It’s also worth noting that there are many things that can subconsciously influence what we decide to do in a given situation. It’s probably not necessary to discuss these here though. However, for a current example, I’m certain Mignolet would have been privy to information regarding Walters’ penalty kicks.

Summary

So if the system is truly the king, we need players who can combine with each other with a high degree of mutual understanding. Every player needs to be able to predict what every other player is going to do in any given situation, however, this needs to be complex enough to prevent opponents reading our play, and fast enough to exploit situations of potential that arise.

We are recruiting players who compliment this approach (technical, othodox, quick thinking etc.) and loading our training with drills to promote the all important cohesion required.
I don't know much about chess but black seems to be missing a pawn.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
"Look at the way we've started, and we're still unbeaten. I believe we can win the title," Moses told the Daily Star.

I think it is something in the Mersey waters that turn people into deluded morons.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Rawk poster 1 said:
A team with Vidic, RvP, Rooney and Carrick isn't going to drop out of the top 4. It's a pipedream.
de Gea was voted the best keeper in the league, too.
Phase of Play in response said:
"A team with Agger, Torres, Gerrard and Mascherano isn't going to drop out of the top 4. It's a pipedream.
Reina was voted the best keeper in the league, too."

Could just have easily been said in 2009.
Phase of play is convinced that we'll drop out of the top 4. Using previous Liverpool shiteness as an example.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I'm genuinely surprised that every game this season has followed the same pattern.

Bat out of hell start followed by a horrible fade between 30 and 40 minutes after which, and before today, they are fortunate not to lose.

Very average squad who are over reliant on a single man to get the goals. Ironically the thing they've often accused us of in recent years.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Wait, PhaseofPlay is putting Agger up there with Vidic?

Hahahahahahahaha. RvP isn't going to suddenly do a Torres either and turn shit.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
I didn't put any formatting in there. Whatever it did, it did it automatically.
Paste using Crtl+Shift+V instead of just Ctrl+V

Examples:

Ctrl+V: Roderick was born in Abilene, Texas, son of (by his own description[1]) a "con-man" and a "beautician".

Ctrl+Shift+V: Roderick was born in Abilene, Texas, son of (by his own description[1]) a "con-man" and a "beautician".

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Experiencing that formatting was like being stabbed through the heart by a spacegoat ex-girlfriend!

Everest Red

Reddest ever
Wait, PhaseofPlay is putting Agger up there with Vidic?

Hahahahahahahaha. RvP isn't going to suddenly do a Torres either and turn shit.
Don't forget that we have good players all over the pitch. Evra is better than any full back they have had over in a decade; our backup CBs aren't failed Greek footballers; at least one of our wingers has always performed, whereas I can't remember a decent winger who played for pool; we have great depth in strike-- Welbeck and Hernandez struggle to get games, whereas they had Keane as a second choice at one point.

We are so much better than 2009 Liverpool.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
they were aggressive and they won most shoulder charge duels...they were also coming a lot from behind and unbalanced our players by pushing them, just enough to unbalance and just enough not to make a foul
Hang on.. Is this a United fan talking about our game against them a couple of weeks ago? I can't tell... At all.
I don't know much about chess but black seems to be missing a pawn.
So is White. I assume it took white's pawn at D4 which was then taken by the Knight from F3.

SteveJ

Scout
Brendan had not just replaced a Liverpool icon but he followed the lovable Spaniard Rafa Benitez who fought the corner of Shanklys Liverpool only to be shown the door by the Yanks. Brendan had a lot to prove but not just because he had a shallowed Managerial CV but all that had gone had left many with a bitter taste in their mouths. But had Brendan come at the right time?
There's no (clean) answer to that...

Rebuilding the Liver Bird the Brendan Rodgers Way:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=308800.0

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Rational Dipper said:
I can't believe the hype Lucas gets on this forum,a seriously overrated player but because he is a DM and his. "Making Tackles" is high in the stats he gets away with it.Honestly wish we had have went for Gareth Barry on loan,a more mobile holding midfielder who will chip in with the odd assist and goal.
Then he went a bit loopy.
Like I said in the post match thread, this is wallpaper covering the cracks. He gets a lucky win over us, that means the pressure is off of him a bt, which means he stays their manager for longer. And at least it wasn't our first defeat of the season.
Moyes winning this game is something of a Phyrric victory for United - it helps keep Moyes' position secure, and in the long run that doesn't benefit them.
For the more learned Man Utd fans it'll be 'haha feck you Liverpool' to each other in the pub and on the forums and 'feck me we're shit, got lucky there' to their wives and family
Nuts and bolts of this thread is that Moyes is a twat, who will in the long run wreck that club and fail to achieve anything of note. Same as he did at Everton.
This is for us to enjoy the turmoil and continuing spectacle of that no mark plodding dimwit mismanaging our greatest rival.
Brace yourself, the bust is coming.

SteveJ

Scout
This is for us to enjoy the turmoil and continuing spectacle of that no mark plodding dimwit mismanaging our greatest rival.
Enough about Brendan; what about Moyes?

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Did Moyes wreck Everton? I missed that memo.
Course he did, Taking them to consecutive finishes above Liverpool and A cup final in his last couple of years, plus playing within his budget whilst the returing King Kenny of Kopshite spunked £120million.

wait, have i just been banned from RAWK without registering?

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
The way they talk you'd think they were managed by Rinus bloody Michels. Rodgers' finest moment as a manager so far is finishing 11th with Swansea.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Their current first team is garbage. Ashley Young is the worst winger in the country. And apparently someone has kidnapped Antonio Valencia and replaced him with a shambling corpse of a footballer.
Was a good performance and bad result.it is what it is, a defeat to utd but let's not pretend that the performance wasn't 2 massive steps in the right direction. If the future is 3 4 3 I think it could be good. That may have been the shadow utd team, but it's a good side, and we ran the game.
Say what?

So were has this we played our first team crap come from?
From playing your first team?

I just couldn't see how you weren't going to dick them tonight when I saw the two line ups. Really disappointed after that result.
A city fan view.

We didn't deserve to lose. Don't be daft. We had the better chances and were the better side for most of the game and were a Henderson or Toure goal from taking it into extra time.
On the upside, they have made it to the forth round of the Moral Cup

we hit the post/bar twice
Thats shocking Fordy

Totally off. They deserved to win? Not a chance
30'000 Rawk posts, still a bit of of a bellend.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
A city fan view.
Disappointed?.. Ok. Well I guess it is kind of like the hordes of Liverpool fans who all spunked twice into their kleenex after the weekend. Which I thought was a bit bizarre.

Dr. Manhattan said:
'Second Halves' - the long awaited sequel to 2012's 'Woodwork'. Critics are already saying it's Liverpool's best album since 2010's 'Woy'.
:lol: That's actually a pearler.