RAWK Goes Into Meltdown | 2013/14

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Just realised, when they last won the league I was in the first grade. (Ups just discovered my age :) )

Lets play a game, what were you doing or where were you when Liverpool last won the league. :D
I was in the 3rd year of secondary school.

In that time since Liverpool last won the league-
I finished school.
Worked at my first place of work for 13 years- I finished there in 2005 and have had various jobs in the last 9 years.
Met my first wife who I was with for 11 years.
Got married again,I've been with my second wife 7 years.
I have a 17 year old son who has never seen Liverpool win the league, Liverpool last won the league 7 years before he was born.

eddiebb

gobshite
Who is that phase of play gimp? Half the posts are like: 'ooh I'll just wait to see what phase of play thinks before I'm brave enough to give my own opinion (as long as it agrees with his!)'

goldenstatesplash

Who is that phase of play gimp? Half the posts are like: 'ooh I'll just wait to see what phase of play thinks before I'm brave enough to give my own opinion (as long as it agrees with his!)'
Long story short, failed coach/local school boy coach who thinks he's the big billy bollocks and knows how the real world works. Quite funny as well.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
The new contract could easily have a release clause. After the problems last summer I would be surprised if he signed a new deal without exact terms for a clause. Doubt Madrid would care about breaking the world record again either since they've been breaking their own record for more than decade now.
They broke it twice in one summer. Money is nothing to Real.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
The shirt manufacturer makes the money, not the club.

The shirt manufacturer pays for the chance to earn that money by paying the club to make its shirts.
Didn't Real state they made more revenue from Beckham merchandising than his actual transfer fee cost?

Granted 75-100m is much more than 25m and Suarez has a tenth of the commercial appeal of Beckham.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The shirt manufacturer makes the money, not the club.

The shirt manufacturer pays for the chance to earn that money by paying the club to make its shirts.
Not quite that simple. The club (and the player if it's in his contract) gets their share and it's individually in every case - but it's something like 100% to manufacturer for the first 1000 (random number) shirts, 50% (random number again) to the club and 50% to the manufacturer for the other usually.

But still it's incredibly hard to earn the transfer fee back on the shirts, you're right.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I don't think you can say that.

I wonder how many shirt sales a free Lewandoski will shift for Bayern this coming season.

United and Madrid sell on average 1,400,000 shirts a season worldwide claimed by some reports. It's technically very possible. Though I wouldn't say a £30m player would cover the cost in shirt sales, there isn't any reason a sub £15m player wouldn't cover his fee if it was the right player.
IIRC, the shirt manufacturer makes the money. The club gets the "sponsorship" payment from the manufacturer in return.

The club could of course, make a huge chunk back on image rights from the player etc. But the whole shirt sales thing is a bit of a myth and it would be very, very difficult to calculate the effect 1 player has on shirt sales. For instance, most fans who buy replica shirts, would buy them regardless of whether the club signed player X or not. They might simply just change the name on the back of the shirt. There will obviously be some plastics following players (and not clubs) - who'd buy their shirts, but the manufacturer would benefit there.

The club could obviously, in the long run, re-negotiate their contract to earn a bigger sponsorship deal.

Revan

Assumptionman
Does RAWK auto change Van Gaal to Aloysius Paulus Maria "Louis" van Gaal ?? What the actual feck?!
Their policy. I think that it started with Sir Alex Ferguson being autocorrected to Mr. Alex Ferguson and then continued with AVB being autocorrected to Luís André de Pina Cabral e Villas-Boas. The funny thing is that if in a small post you write AVB several times, then that post becomes almost unreadable after the autocorrection. If they had autocrrected Van Gaal or LVG to that big name then I'll enjoy writing LVG several times in my posts there.

gasmanc

Banned
With us, yes, but not for Madrid. I've read in a lot of different places that they get a chunk of the actual sales too.
The imaging rights make Madrid an absolute fortune, Ronaldo's fee has reportedly been paid back over and over already, Madrid players can afford to leave for less wages and still be better off due to gaining back control of their imaging. Shirt sales go hand in hand with Madrid's imaging and hence allows them to pay these ridiculous fees.
Back to the original point Madrid could simply pay Suarez release fee and be guaranteed the increased revenue from shirt sales and imaging rights will go a long way to cover the outlay. If they want him, they will get him, plus Liverpools shirt sales might take a small boost from the requirement for a seemingly recurrent shirt burning.

goldenstatesplash

Nope. He said that it is a good appointment (unlike to last time when he said that Moyes will miserably fail). He seems to rate Van Gaal and his coaching methods.
Interesting. The unwashed are amass on facebook re posting that Mirror article about his quotes saying that this season 'will be hilarious'.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nope. He said that it is a good appointment (unlike to last time when he said that Moyes will miserably fail). He seems to rate Van Gaal and his coaching methods.
To be fair he was right if he said that.

Brightonian

Fecking Madrid :mad:
I wouldn't be too mad. If the rumoured numbers for our incoming deal with Nike are anywhere near true (and it's not an unreasonable assumption - they're in line with the huge hike in our shirt sponsorship money from Chevy), then our income from that deal will far outstrip Madrid's even with their slice of the sales. That's especially impressive given how much of their commercial might is build on merchandise (as opposed to ours, which leans more towards sponsorship.)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Fecking Madrid :mad:

Wouldn't surprise me 1 bit.
Their shirt sponsorship will reflect it though.

We signed our Nike deal in 2001 or 2002 and it was worth nearly £30m a season. Real recently renewed with Adidas for just over £30m a season while we are looking at double that from our next sponsor.

northbynorthwest

But you assume Giggs would question his authority. For reasons unknown.
These things start quietly and grow. Van Gaal does something that a player or group of players are not happy with. The players start criticizing him behind his back. Then giggs comes on board and agrees with them. And very quickly the butterflies flap of its wings becomes a tornado and the morale of the team drops. Im not saying it will happen, but it could.

For all successful coaches, one thing is certain. They have full control and authority. giggs is a big personality in the dressing room. PLayers respect him. Ferguson always was quick to get rid of these types of individuals when they crossed the line. keane, ince, stam, beckham. Fergsuon said it himself: the minute a player starts dictating how the club should be run, it spells disaster.

Giggs i hope will be quiet and on the sidelines.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
These things start quietly and grow. Van Gaal does something that a player or group of players are not happy with. The players start criticizing him behind his back. Then giggs comes on board and agrees with them. And very quickly the butterflies flap of its wings becomes a tornado and the morale of the team drops. Im not saying it will happen, but it could.

For all successful coaches, one thing is certain. They have full control and authority. giggs is a big personality in the dressing room. PLayers respect him. Ferguson always was quick to get rid of these types of individuals when they crossed the line. keane, ince, stam, beckham. Fergsuon said it himself: the minute a player starts dictating how the club should be run, it spells disaster.

Giggs i hope will be quiet and on the sidelines.
That's a highly improbable scenario that could happen with anyone.

Replace Giggs with RVP. Replace him with Mata or De Gea, or Rooney. Replace him with unnamed assistant coach that that Van Gaal himself brings. He develops good relationships with players and when things go south he does what you wrote for Giggs. It could happen with all of them.

TheMuffer

Didn't Real state they made more revenue from Beckham merchandising than his actual transfer fee cost?

Granted 75-100m is much more than 25m and Suarez has a tenth of the commercial appeal of Beckham.
not so much from shirt sales though...a club will make a max of a tenner a shirt...all the rest goes to kit maker, advertising etc.
But what they did recoup back plus some more was from all the advertising with Beckham becoming a world wide brand.
Torres ( Hard to believe) has allegedly been worth millions to Chelsea through similar circumstances ( not huge like beckham though) with him being Samsung and Adidas golden boy appearing in all the adverts plus the smaller companies in partnership with Chelsea/Adidas/samsung. hence one of the reasons why he is still there. He brings in revenue to help pay back the 50m ( because it sure aint for footballing reason ;) )

northbynorthwest

That's a highly improbable scenario that could happen with anyone.

Replace Giggs with RVP. Replace him with Mata or De Gea, or Rooney. Replace him with unnamed assistant coach that that Van Gaal himself brings. He develops good relationships with players and when things go south he does what you wrote for Giggs. It could happen with all of them.
Yea but you wouldnt replace them with someone held in such regard. Its assistant manager so its not a deal breaker. ferguson had mike phelan who was the polar opposite of ferguson. When Brian kidd started questioning ferguson on who he was buying, he was out the door pretty fast. Its just my opinion but i would have went for someone like nicky butt as assistant. Someone who is inconspicuous and stays quite.

You are inferring as well that things go bad and then giggs starts questioning the manager. I am saying that things go bad the minute giggs questions the manager and thats when it goes downhill.

What happened with moyes was he lost the support of key people. Scholes, giggs and the senior players. Its a bit like the roman senate in that when the emperor lost the support of key allies within the senate, he lost his job usually. The class of 92 were great players but they are a bad influence. It bears similarities to how liverpool went, in that all these footballers retired and went into the media and started questioning what subsequent managers were doing. The man in charge simply cannot run the club with these voices.

And the fans as well hold them in high regard. If paul scholes came out tommmorow and said Van Gaal was a bad choice as a manager, Van gaal may as well get a new job straight away. The presence of these guys, scholes and giggs in particular carry so much weight, and when they are not happy the players, fans and board of directors feed into it.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
How do you know what Nicky Butt is like as an assistant? Or Ryan Giggs?

Your post is filled with weird scenarios, hypotheticals and guessings, none of which is important to your original post, that Ryan Giggs would be a bad influence if things go bad.

There's just no reason to believe so, no matter what his standing with the club is.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Yea but you wouldnt replace them with someone held in such regard. Its assistant manager so its not a deal breaker. ferguson had mike phelan who was the polar opposite of ferguson. When Brian kidd started questioning ferguson on who he was buying, he was out the door pretty fast. Its just my opinion but i would have went for someone like nicky butt as assistant. Someone who is inconspicuous and stays quite.

You are inferring as well that things go bad and then giggs starts questioning the manager. I am saying that things go bad the minute giggs questions the manager and thats when it goes downhill.

What happened with moyes was he lost the support of key people. Scholes, giggs and the senior players. Its a bit like the roman senate in that when the emperor lost the support of key allies within the senate, he lost his job usually. The class of 92 were great players but they are a bad influence. It bears similarities to how liverpool went, in that all these footballers retired and went into the media and started questioning what subsequent managers were doing. The man in charge simply cannot run the club with these voices.

And the fans as well hold them in high regard. If paul scholes came out tommmorow and said Van Gaal was a bad choice as a manager, Van gaal may as well get a new job straight away. The presence of these guys, scholes and giggs in particular carry so much weight, and when they are not happy the players, fans and board of directors feed into it.
:lol:

Sorry Julius...you're sacked fella.

northbynorthwest

How do you know what Nicky Butt is like as an assistant? Or Ryan Giggs?

Your post is filled with weird scenarios, hypotheticals and guessings, none of which is important to your original post, that Ryan Giggs would be a bad influence if things go bad.

There's just no reason to believe so, no matter what his standing with the club is.
The assistant takes part of training. His job is not to motivate players, thats where the manager comes in. So nicky butt or anyone would make a good assistant as long as they are knowledgeable about the game and have good interpersonal skills.

Hypotheticals yes, guessings, well everything is speculation. I dont know what you are talking about weird scenarios. It is pretty simple. van Gaal has a huge ego. he falls out with players. Now i am suggesting that if a player falls out with him and giggs sides with that player maybe not publicly, then you have a serious problem.

One of the reasons moyes faltered is that he lost the support of key people in the club from early on. Ferdinand was tweeting, G neville and David may were on tv, as was scholes. RVP didnt like the training. Danny welbeck threatens to quit. All this leads to a manager who isnt respected, the morale is low and the team suffers

When ferguson was in charge this rarely happened and when it did, it was dealt with swiftly.

Now i am entitled to my opinion as much as you are to yours, so please dont insult my post by saying it is weird. What i am suggesting happens in clubs all across the world. Disagreements happen in football and many of them happened under ferguson and he was ruthless in getting rid of them.

I would have preferred kluvert to come in because he would unconditionally back van gaal regardless of what happened.