Real Madrid become first team to retain the CL

pixel

Us, Barcelona, Liverpool. Bigger in the sense of fandom, not attractiveness nor prestige.
What a silly thing to say. "Number of fans" is hardly a measure of how big a club is. And even then, Madrid is huge, certainly bigger than we are in South America. In terms of trophies and prestige, they are on a different level.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Barca and Liverpool don't even come close.

United are probably the closest to them.
Barca do come close in terms of fans, I think. The youngest generation has grown up with them being at the top. I believe they've got the most social media followers as well. That counts for something.

Revan

Assumptionman
I don't think Liverpool or even Barcelona could compete on fandom. (Guessing you mean how many fans)

If I considered everything that makes a club massive then Real are by far the biggest. Us, Barce and Bayern are probably in the next tier. With Liverpool, Milan etc in the next
Before Italian football went to shit, I think that Milano was considered the nearest club to Real Madrid. Of course, that is now almost as ancient history as Ajax being a great club once upon a time.

pixel

Barca and Liverpool don't even come close.

United are probably the closest to them.
In which measure? If it's solely the number of fans, then probably yes. Any other parameter and they are streets ahead.

RoyH1

Most successful and ambitious club in the world. The thirst for winning they have down there is second to none. Love them or hate them

Cal?

CR7 fan
Barca do come close in terms of fans, I think. The youngest generation has grown up with them being at the top. I believe they've got the most social media followers as well. That counts for something.
Not the time to argue over this, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Real are quite a bit ahead of Barca in terms of fans

Cal?

CR7 fan
In which measure? If it's solely the number of fans, then probably yes. Any other parameter and they are streets ahead.
I was replying to a post about fans.

Also being the most successful club in the respective country.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
They won the league too this time, so it isn't 'hollow'.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Before Italian football went to shit, I think that Milano was considered the nearest club to Real Madrid. Of course, that is now almost as ancient history as Ajax being a great club once upon a time.
Yeah that's why I put them down a notch. Juve are probably a bigger club than them now which seems weird, but they've been dominating that league in a time where football has grown exponentially. Hope Milan can grow this year and get back to being a top side.

Varun

Staff
Who really gives a feck about the number of social media followers or total fans? They are the best club in terms of on pitch success, they are the club most top players want to play for and they're the club who have the ability to pick any player from any club not named Barca even if they're going through a low by their standards. They are ruthless in their desire to succeed and they match the incredibly high standards they set for themselves.

Bole Top

we can only learn from them, unfortunately. they simply don't tolerate mediocrity as we do. imagine Anderson lasting 10 years there.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
What a silly thing to say. "Number of fans" is hardly a measure of how big a club is. And even then, Madrid is huge, certainly bigger than we are in South America. In terms of trophies and prestige, they are on a different level.
You greatly underestimate the influence of a network as large and culturally important as the Commonwealth. Greatly.

Skills

Snitch
Yeah that's why I put them down a notch. Juve are probably a bigger club than them now which seems weird, but they've been dominating that league in a time where football has grown exponentially. Hope Milan can grow this year and get back to being a top side.
Juventus were always bigger than Milan tbh. They've been dominating Serie A for decades

pixel

Liverpool , Ajax and Bayern Munich.

;)
Eh ?

Who really gives a feck about the number of social media followers or total fans? They are the best club in terms of on pitch success, they are the club most top players want to play for and they're the club who have the ability to pick any player from any club not named Barca even if they're going through a low by their standards. They are ruthless in their desire to succeed and they match the incredibly high standards they set for themselves.
This.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
Well, it had to happen at some point. With the records Madrid has in this competition, they had the most chances. Luck played a big part too.

Newman123

Supports
Arsenal
After many great teams have attempted it Ronaldo and Co. Have finally managed it.

Zidane wins the CL in his first two seasons as a manager (discounting Castilla)

12th European Cup. 3 in the last 4 years!

How does this side rank compared to the great Barcelona side?

And finally who is going to stop them next year?
I still think that Barcelona side with prime Xavi and Iniesta were better and looked more comfortable in matches. This Real team don't really strike me as a team that can have the ball all game and attack and score at will. To me they look extremely efficient at counter attacking and taking their chances as well as players being in the right place at the right time. That Barcelona team could be in control all match if they wanted.

Thats a tough question. They just seem to have everything going for them and no team looks like they can go out and beat them except for Barcelona. If barcelona get some better ball playing midfielders, a WC RB and a WC GK then they could be set to start winning CL's and La Ligas again.

pixel

You greatly underestimate the influence of a network as large and culturally important as the Commonwealth. Greatly.
:lol: What influence are you talking about? Number of shirts sold ? Fanboys in internet chat rooms?

Just to be clear, I completely agree that we are probably the best supported club in the commonwealth. I live in a commonwealth country, so I would know!
Unfortunately, the number of countries in the commonwealth who produce top notch footballers who would want to play for United (or Liverpool) is a pittance. Contrast that with the south american countries where Madrid and Barca rule the roost. So while we might have the "most number of fans", the "most number of jerseys sold" etc, it counts very little towards success on the pitch.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Only Barca are capable of taking the game to them, like they did in the Bernabeu. Barca simply didn't have the midfield/defence to get past Juve.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Probably the strongest squad of all time in honesty even Pep's Barca were not near Real's level outside the first XI, Morata, Kovacic, Bale, James, Asesnsio, Danilo, Nacho and Casilla are reserves, They left James Rodriguez out of the their squad for the CL Final. They absolutely thrashed Juve second half. Well done Zidane for any manager to win 2 CL's back to back is amazing, to do it in your first 2 seasons.. Scary. Also well done Ronaldo, remember when we used to think he didn't do it in big games.

el3mel

If there was a team who was going to do it, it would have been them, the most successful team in the competition, no one else.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Probably the strongest squad of all time in honesty even Pep's Barca were not near Real's level outside the first XI, Morata, Kovacic, Bale, James, Asesnsio, Danilo, Nacho and Casilla are reserves, They left James Rodriguez out of the their squad for the CL Final. They absolutely thrashed Juve second half. Well done Zidane for any manager to win 2 CL's back to back is amazing, to do it in your first 2 seasons.. Scary. Also well done Ronaldo, remember when we used to think he didn't do it in big games.
Speak for yourself.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Just realised we have won 3 of the last 4 CL's. That is pretty fecking great tbh.
Just realised lol, only at Madrid, any other club can count the years, possibly minutes between them. Complete domination this season. Well done and enjoy. Another league title or two will make you guys the best side of all time.

ForlansHair

Best team in Europe this season clearly but ...

Madrid have won 1 league title in those 4 seasons, were about 30 seconds from not winning the CL in 2014 and won the 2016 one on penalties. They could easily be on 1 title and 1 CL in that time. Such fine margins and they've got the breaks at the right times in this competition. They are not on the same level as the Barcelona team, not even close IMO.