Real Madrid need to get ready for a terrible season | It’s happening

RoyH1

Florentino Perez is one nasty vicious piece of work. I'd hate working for a man like that. He's just fired Lopetegui and then proceeds to demean him.

"The board considers there to be a large disparity between the quality within the Real Madrid squad, which boasts eight nominees for the next Ballon d'Or award - an unprecedented number in the club's history - and the team's results to date."

I cannot imagine a German or English club adding that to an official communiqué

https://www.realmadrid.com/en/news/2018/10/official-announcement-5

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I think if Ronaldo would have stayed you wouldn’t have anyone believing that they wouldn’t be able to win it. But most people who watched them last year would definitely not have them as favorites as they had a very poor season overall and relied way too much on luck/injuries/mistakes to win the CL, plus the fact that they haven’t strengthened their first XI and lost Zidane as well.

Would you have them as favorites against a fully fit Bayern for example after what happened last season in that tie? Or Juve? (or even Tottenham for that matter)
I would, as long as Madrid were fully fit too and didn't have to play Vallejo as CB or Lucas Vasquez as rightback.

They got lucky last season (with the actual football, they got incredibly unlucky with the draw) but that team would have gone through in most circumstances even playing badly. The semifinal was very lucky but the rest... not really. They would have won the final anyway even without the Karius mistakes after Salah got injured.

They were stronger mentally than everyone else, now they lost that too. Hopefully you understand what you mean, it's the soul of the team that isn't there anymore. It's not just the goals.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Florentino Perez is one nasty vicious piece of work. I'd hate working for a man like that. He's just fired Lopetegui and then proceeds to demean him.

"The board considers there to be a large disparity between the quality within the Real Madrid squad, which boasts eight nominees for the next Ballon d'Or award - an unprecedented number in the club's history - and the team's results to date."

I cannot imagine a German or English club adding that to an official communiqué

https://www.realmadrid.com/en/news/2018/10/official-announcement-5

They've got a point though haven't they? No way they should be this bad, I can see how the squad could lack motivation, Lopetegui has done a woeful job though. Can't sack the players.. There is real quality in the squad, some big changes obviously needed to get them playing again. I'm sure they will make big signings as well, either Neymar or Mbappe and others in the summer I think.

Conte or another disciplinarian coach could be a good fit for RM for a season or two, just like when they got Capello in last time. Then they can sack him when they get tired of playing more defensively and start the cycle again.

JohnnyKills

I half agree with this. I think they're doing it because they feel like they have to. SAF made it pretty clear in his farewell speech at OT that he viewed the fan's job as supporting managers, not hounding them out. Many fans follow that advice.

That said, SAF wasn't a great manager because he was kept at United for so long. He was kept there for so long because he was so good. Moyes could have been given 5 years, I still don't think we'd have ever seriously challenged for the title. At the point that becomes obvious, the manager has to go because winning is a more important tradition that long serving managers.
Great post

Revan

Assumptionman
Real must be the most decisive club in the world, they don't feck around and accept mediocrity. No manager, player, president, whatever is untouchable and when they don't perform, they're out. And their success speaks for itself.

Shame for Lopetegui, this adventure ended really badly, and by deciding to go to Real, he lost (likely) an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to lead Spain in the world cup.

Revan

Assumptionman
Roberto Martinez? He'd be chewed out by the big egos in that dressing room :lol: It's akin to us appointing Moyes after having a serial winner like SAF.

I just hope it's Wenger :D
He seemed to be doing fine with Belgium, which has quite a few world class players and at least a big egomaniac.

Martinez is a much better manager than Moyes - especially for an attacking team - but not sure that he is good enough for Real.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Roberto Martinez? He'd be chewed out by the big egos in that dressing room :lol: It's akin to us appointing Moyes after having a serial winner like SAF.

I just hope it's Wenger :D
Just like players, managers can develop. Everton probably taught him alot

Not saying hes ready for Real though

red4ever 79

Cant fault Madrid, the board do not accept mediocrity, and react straight away. We on the other hand seem to not only accept it, but do nothing about it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They've got a point though haven't they? No way they should be this bad, I can see how the squad could lack motivation, Lopetegui has done a woeful job though. Can't sack the players.. There is real quality in the squad, some big changes obviously needed to get them playing again. I'm sure they will make big signings as well, either Neymar or Mbappe and others in the summer I think.

Conte or another disciplinarian coach could be a good fit for RM for a season or two, just like when they got Capello in last time. Then they can sack him when they get tired of playing more defensively and start the cycle again.
The league results weren't that much different though under Zidane this time last year from memory? Obviously a 5-1 to Barca is very bad news for any manager (although Benitez did limp on for another two months somehow after Barca put 5 past them on home turf). It was the home defeat to Levante that sealed his fate I think.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Thanks for the reply. I did want you to spend some billions to revive the market.

The good news is you will get M'bappé in 2020 :)

The good news is you will get M'bappé in 2020

The good news is you will get M'bappé in 2020
I need new pants

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
The league results weren't that much different though under Zidane this time last year from memory? Obviously a 5-1 to Barca is very bad news for any manager (although Benitez did limp on for another two months somehow after Barca put 5 past them on home turf). It was the home defeat to Levante that sealed his fate I think.
I was more thinking the 481 minute goal drought they had earlier in the month. He was doomed before the Classico, bet the board are wishing they sacked him before now too. They can still do well with the right manager, I can only imagine how difficult the dressing room is though. I can see why they'd want Mourinho or Conte, need someone to crack skulls and sort them out.

Benitez actually put a structure in place, how he wanted them to play and was the first to play Casemiro, I thought he fell out with Perez as he couldn't fit James in the team and he was ordered to play him in that classico instead.

gaucho_10

You guys talk about determination and ruthlessness but we have a problem that is very hard to fix right now.

The title of this thread says all there is to say about everyone's fears before this season started, but considering how much the team has won in the last few years the management deserved the benefit of the doubt. They banked on Bale, Benzema and Asensio stepping up and it just didn't happen.

What we have now is a squad lacking ambition (and that's nothing new considering the same happened on the beginning of last season). Senior players have won so much that it's impossible to motivate them with talk about more titles. They literally need to motivate themselves at some point and start playing for each other.

The other problem is manager's authority. Lopetegui never had it and Solari won't have it. Conte also wouldn't get it. I honestly have no idea who would be the right choice for this team at the moment.

The club needs to buy few star players (a winger, a striker and a young talented left back) and that is probably the only quick fix. New players always inject energy in the team and they could be the catalyst for success and when I say success, I mean getting the team to perform again and allowing the new manager to bench some stars, because the bench we have right now doesn't scare any of the senior players that are not performing at the moment.

Hopefully Perez will back of his Neymar plan in this crisis and just try to get the right players as soon as possible (if it can be done). The new rule with players being allowed to play CL after moving clubs in January should help and I think the club has around zero net spend in last 5 years so money shouldn't be a problem.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I was more thinking the 481 minute goal drought they had earlier in the month. He was doomed before the Classico, bet the board are wishing they sacked him before now too. They can still do well with the right manager, I can only imagine how difficult the dressing room is though. I can see why they'd want Mourinho or Conte, need someone to crack skulls and sort them out.

Benitez actually put a structure in place, how he wanted them to play and was the first to play Casemiro, I thought he fell out with Perez as he couldn't fit James in the team and he was ordered to play him in that classico instead.
Benitez never won the players over. They were calling him "Diez"(#10) in a derogatory form in his presence. The performances were mostly shite. We picked up 37 points put of 54 with him. For a comparison, with Zidane we got 53/60.

But yes, Benitez wasn't this bad, and at least had the guts to sort of going out on his shield after the clasico.

And no, we do not need a confrontational madman as manager. That's a recipe for disaster in a dressing room lead by Sergio Ramos.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
They aren't terrible, they just aren't as good as they've been made out ot be throughout the years. It's still a great squad with great players.

They just have no chance to win the CL this season as they need Ronaldo upfront to do that, the entire structure of the team won't work without him. They can't have their forwards scoring so little and then having that midfield who have no goals in them. Playing possession football would have suited them more but Lopetegui wasn't able to do it.

Calling them big favourites to win it again is pushing it but I believe that if things remained the same, with them being the 3 time champions, they'd have a big psychological advantage which they now won't have. I think if Ronaldo had stayed everyone would have them as favourites to win the Champions League at this moment.
Even with Ronaldo they wouldn't be a big favorite for this years CL. Hell, last season was not just lucky, it was a miracle. Everyone knows that, they massively declined. Thats one of the reasons why Ronaldo and Zidane abandoned the sinking ship. They also struggled in La Liga last season for some time if i remember correctly.

After last seasons semi final, as a Bayern supporter, i knew the game Bayern vs Real was something like an "end of an era game" between the best 2 sides of this decade. Because i knew both teams will decline much more this season and this is why the unlucky loss was even more painful to me as usual. I think the core of both teams deserved 2 CL titles in their pocket, instead of 3-1 to Real.

However, it was clear that everyone thinks their decline is just because of Ronaldo. But the matter of fact is that they declined last season already but their CL campaign was overshadowing that. But for some reason they did exactly the same mistake as us (Bayern) in not replacing their declining or leaving key players with world class players. For Bayern its much harder, they can't go and sign players like Hazard from Chelsea, but Real is usually able to do so.

I guess next seasons transfer window will be very interesting with Perez and Hoeneß/Rummenigge going crazy on the market. :lol:

Last edited:

PeteManic

Decision to take this job must be the worst in the recent history of management. Absolute disaster on every single level. Worse than the Moyes appointment.

Nuts

Getting sacked by Spain and Real in less than 6 months is some going...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He really fecked up, didn't he? :lol:

Deserved it for screwing Spains world cup campaign.
You believe spain would of done better with him? I can tell you that performance vs russia was 100% a Lopetegui masterclass

Revaulx

Had Lopetegui done the decent thing by the Spanish FA, i.e. told them he’d been offered the RM job just before signing his contract, he could have done an LvG and stayed with them until the end of the tournament. Had he done so and they’d performed in accordance with expectations (semi finals), he’d have left with his head held high and probably been held in higher regard by the players. I’m not aware he had any problems managing Ramos in the Spain setup.

El Zoido

Decision to take this job must be the worst in the recent history of management. Absolute disaster on every single level. Worse than the Moyes appointment.
At least they were sensible enough to pull the trigger now instead of waiting until April..

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I don't think Mourinho is an option as most of the squad base that remains from his era were the ones most opposed to him.

Maybe Karanka might start seeing his name thrown around to se if it sticks, if the fanbase look happy with it that could mean Solari for a couple of weeks and then Karanka until May.
And maybe Florentino wants to curb their influence much like he had José as front to get rid of Raúl and Guti back in 2010?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I want Roberto Martinez to get the job. I once heard him describe Romelu Lukaku as the best striker in the world, so that’s reason enough for him to get my support.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
The official statement by Madrid is hilarious. It's Perez pretty much saying that Lopetegui is the only one to blame and that the lack of signings in the past years has nothing to do with it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't think Mourinho is an option as most of the squad base that remains from his era were the ones most opposed to him.

Maybe Karanka might start seeing his name thrown around to se if it sticks, if the fanbase look happy with it that could mean Solari for a couple of weeks and then Karanka until May.
Apart from Ramos and Marcelo, none of them who had issues with Jose are at Madrid. Pepe and Ronaldo left, so there aren't any.

Canagel

The official statement by Madrid is hilarious. It's Perez pretty much saying that Lopetegui is the only one to blame and that the lack of signings in the past years has nothing to do with it.
The fans should turn on perez. He set up the manager to fail by not signing anyone.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
JL's record (win/draw/loss) is 4/2/4 in the league, 2/0/1 in CL, and 0/0/1 in SuperCup.

Zizou's record at a similar time last year was 6/2/2 in the league, 2/1/0 in CL, and 3/0/0 in SuperCups.

Zizou had a 5-1 agg vs. Barca in the SuperCup, and two minor trophies at this point in time, while JL has a 1-5 loss in El Clasico, zero trophies, and 6 losses to some horrible teams (Zizou had only two).

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Madrid meet with la grada de animación(It's not exactly the young stand,but an artificial group of fans created by the club to expel Ultra Sur) to stop the whistles against Ramos.
Fans wanted to show their discontent with the captain and the team but the club won't allow It
This thing with Ramos won't end well.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
JL's record (win/draw/loss) is 4/2/4 in the league, 2/0/1 in CL, and 0/0/1 in SuperCup.

Zizou's record at a similar time last year was 6/2/2 in the league, 2/1/0 in CL, and 3/0/0 in SuperCups.

Zizou had a 5-1 agg vs. Barca in the SuperCup, and two minor trophies at this point in time, while JL has a 1-5 loss in El Clasico, zero trophies, and 6 losses to some horrible teams (Zizou had only two).
I wasn't expecting it to be bad as Lopetuegi and in fairness Zidane had already two CLs as insurance but up to November 1st they had these results last season:

Real Madrid 2-2 Valencia
Real Madrid 1 Levante 1
Real Madrid 0-1 Betis
Girona 2-1 Real Madrid
Spurs 3-1 Real Madrid