Real Madrid need to get ready for a terrible season | It’s happening

Eddy_JukeZ

They still only just won the league by 1 point in 2016-17 and that was a matter of having a great squad with many great options rather than the first team players being historically great.

In terms of the individual quality of their starters they were far behind Pep's Barcelona for example, despite achieving more.
I didn't say they were better than Pep's Barcelona.

Their squad was better than any other club in the past 5 years though.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I didn't say they were better than Pep's Barcelona.

Their squad was better than any other club in the past 5 years though.
It was the best in 2016-17 due to their depth, in other years there were always teams with a squad that was at least at the same level.

Kapardin

Lopetegui must be having so much remorse right now. Feel a little bad for him, as they just screwed so bad by getting rid of Ronaldo and not replacing him. And then a few players just want to piss off and have not been trying this season. And you could make a case that Curtois has caused more problems than solutions so far.
His own fault. I understand the lure of Real, but every man and his dog could see that the next guy in after Zidane was set up to be the fall guy.

The situation required a proven winner to come in and manage them. Well, it's mostly going to be Conte. Be interesting to see if Real match his personal ambition of winning the CL. I like Conte for all his combustible nature, and I much prefer Real to dominate over Barca, so wish them the best.

Eddy_JukeZ

It was the best in 2016-17 due to their depth, in other years there were always teams with a squad that was at least at the same level.
It was by far the best in 2016-2017.

The other years, I think theirs was clearly above anyone's out there.

Cait Sith

You won 4 of the last 5 Champions Leagues despite not having enough quality to pull off a feat like that. I don't believe I'll ever see a team do something like that again, it was incredible what those players achieved.

I'm not saying those are crap players, just that a lot of them are overrated because of what they achieved, their reputation comes from their trophy cabinet rather than what they show on the pitch.
I got a bucketload of green smileys when I said Zidane was pulling off some Voodoo magic shit. In the past 5 years there was not a single 3 month period where I would have called Madrid the best team in the world.

A conglomeration of unbelievably easy draws (Roma-Wolfsburg-Pellegrini's Man City, reads like the road to the Europa League final), every single refereeing decision being on point for them (93 minute penalties, 5 yard offside goals, Casemiro managing to stay on no matter what), teams committing unforced amateur errors 3 games in a row in the last 3 knockout rounds of the CL (never before seen at this level), opponents' MVPs missing or getting off injured early (Diego Costa in the 2014 final, Salah last season, Neymar, Neuer, Robben, Ribery, the list goes on and on) etc. etc. etc.

Much like Zidane's own playing career. Didn't put in 3 consistent world class seasons in his whole career but look at his awards and reputation.

Shiva87

You won 4 of the last 5 Champions Leagues despite not having enough quality to pull off a feat like that. I don't believe I'll ever see a team do something like that again, it was incredible what those players achieved.

I'm not saying those are crap players, just that a lot of them are overrated because of what they achieved, their reputation comes from their trophy cabinet rather than what they show on the pitch.
Trophy cabinet's aren't built without the quality on the pitch. They were a brilliant team, which was spearheaded by one of the best players of all time. Don't know why you are slating them, but even yesterday - they had moments of quality.

Their problem right now is that - Ronaldo was a real force of nature when it came to being chips down. (See the match between Empoli and Juve). When it was tough, the squad always knew that he could change the game in a moment.

Now, they have a new manager and a squad without their talisman. The others need to step up and share the load around. It was always going to be an adjustment. With a new manager - its even tougher.

You seriously think a squad of Sergio Ramos, Marcelo, Ronaldo, Modric, Kroos, Bale, Benzema, (James, when he was there), wasn't a great squad. The entire united fan base would be over the moon with any one of them coming over to this United squad (perhaps, except Ramos coz of his general antics).

FootyCrew

Funny how is everyone underrating the quality of Real Madrid players without CR7.

Ronaldo dissapeared in some games in CLs that Real Madrid managed to win. Sure, Madrid lost like 50 goals per season, but Real Madrid got beated by Barca other times with Ronaldo on the pitch.....doing nothing, just walking and getting frustrated because he didn't score.

Real Madrid will be OK, this cycle is over. But it was extremely successful, Real Madrid of 'galacticos' was a big FAIL compared to this one, they didn't even manage to play a CL Final (Zidane,Figo,Ronaldo,Beckhan together) got eliminated by Monaco in 2004.

Last edited by a moderator:

red4ever 79

Courtois already denied saying anything like that. It's made up some journalist.
Sure, of course he said that he made it up. That's why he wouldnt return to pre-season after the world cup and went on strike so he wouldnt have to see Conte who was still there at that time. That's why you should never shaft your ex managers or employees the world is a small place and you never know.

Also anyone who follows Madrid know why Nevas has suddenly been dropped for this guy? He was doing well at the beginning of the season and seemed to be a fan favourite.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Sure, of course he said that he made it up. That's why he wouldnt return to pre-season after the world cup and went on strike so he wouldnt have to see Conte who was still there at that time. That's why you should never shaft your ex managers or employees the world is a small place and you never know.

Also anyone who follows Madrid know why Nevas has suddenly been dropped for this guy? He was doing well at the beginning of the season and seemed to be a fan favourite.
Him not returning to preseason has nothing to do with Conte. On July 14th Chelsea announced Sarri as their manager and Courtois was scheduled to return to training in first week of August. Madrid announced transfer on August 8th.

Yes, he says Journalists made it up because it's true. I would rather believe players than Journalists who claim to know what the player said inside the dressing room.

red4ever 79

Him not returning to preseason has nothing to do with Conte. On July 14th Chelsea announced Sarri as their manager and Courtois was scheduled to return to training in first week of August. Madrid announced transfer on August 8th.

Yes, he says Journalists made it up because it's true. I would rather believe players than Journalists who claim to know what the player said inside the dressing room.
Let's see I am sure, absolutely certain that he along with William and Hazard wanted Conte gone and vowed not to play for Chelsea again if he remained.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Valdano: "Real Madrid players think they have the authority to do what they want"

I thought he was going to refer to Ramos words but he has criticized both Isco and Bale tactical indiscipline yesterday. Isco for starting on the left and abandoning his position afterwards and Bale for not following Alba when needed.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I got a bucketload of green smileys when I said Zidane was pulling off some Voodoo magic shit. In the past 5 years there was not a single 3 month period where I would have called Madrid the best team in the world.
Guess you weren't paying attention in 2014

Much like Zidane's own playing career. Didn't put in 3 consistent world class seasons in his whole career but look at his awards and reputation.
Here, have some more green smileys :lol::lol::lol:

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I don't remember Courtois ever being one of the ones talked about as having issues with Conte. He's whined plenty over the years, but manager problems haven't been publicized to my knowledge.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
They still only just won the league by 1 point in 2016-17 and that was a matter of having a great squad with many great options rather than the first team players being historically great.

In terms of the individual quality of their starters they were far behind Pep's Barcelona for example, despite achieving more.
And lost league titles by just 1 and 2 points in the other two years, it goes both ways. Could've easily got 3 Ligas.

The thing about Pep's Barca is that in the league they faced a far far inferior opponent in RM, that could be beaten by anyone in Europe... until Mou's 2nd season where Pep lost and left (Mou's 1st season was still an inferior side to current Barca), so Pep's Liga achievements were equally due to a lack of quality domestic opponents (Atleti were shit as well), and it showed in Europe, unlike Zizou's Madrid.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This has been a long time coming.
Real feck up when they started selling their squad depth.
Two years ago, Madrid had a bench of James Rodriguez, Morata, Isco, Kovacic and co.

steffyr2

Funny how is everyone underrating the quality of Real Madrid players without CR7.

Ronaldo dissapeared in some games in CLs that Real Madrid managed to win. Sure, Madrid lost like 50 goals per season, but Real Madrid got beated by Barca other times with Ronaldo on the pitch.....doing nothing, just walking and getting frustrated because he didn't score.

Real Madrid will be OK, this cycle is over. But it was extremely successful, Real Madrid of 'galacticos' was a big FAIL compared to this one, they didn't even manage to play a CL Final (Zidane,Figo,Ronaldo,Beckhan together) got eliminated by Monaco in 2004.
Yes, RM did lose the occasional game with Ronaldo there.

Stiliyan

Supports
Real Madrid
For the past 10 season, Madrid only managed to win twice for La Liga. I have always wondered why?
Not that we are doing well in the league but 4 in 12 years sounds totally different to 2 in 10. ;)

El Zoido

This isn’t happening because Zidane and Ronaldo left. Cart before the horse. Zidane and Ronaldo left because they saw the writing on the wall.

Oldyella

This has been a long time coming.
Real feck up when they started selling their squad depth.
Two years ago, Madrid had a bench of James Rodriguez, Morata, Isco, Kovacic and co.
Players don't stay happy on the bench forever though. The issue is once moved on the bench cover was not suitably replaced. Arrogance assuming they were 'just' bench players?

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Great question. With Ronaldo in the team.
They won the league twice in 9 years with Ronaldo there because their squad was worse than Barcelona's for pretty much every single one of those nine years. Should have won it once more, but small margins happen and they lost the title by 1-5 points a bunch of times.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Problem is there are lot here blaming Ronaldo for Real bad early form in the league last season. Turns out without Ronaldo, they are even worst. I think the problem lies deeper, could be mix of complacency, being over-reliance on Ronaldo over the years, loss of confidence after Zidane/Ronaldo was gone.

Or another simple way of looking at this, with Ronaldo up front they only have to make sure creating those chances and they will score. But without Ronaldo, there’s no one up front making those runs, no one there with non-stop pressuring and driving the whole team to supply him chances to score, from all angles.

Last edited:

CA1

They've not bought a decent player for about 5 years.

That's potentially a problem at a football club.

Ruthless Real of old would have fecked Benzema and Bale off and had Hazard and Mbappe balling.

Perez lost his mojo.

youmeletsfly

Valdano: "Real Madrid players think they have the authority to do what they want"

I thought he was going to refer to Ramos words but he has criticized both Isco and Bale tactical indiscipline yesterday. Isco for starting on the left and abandoning his position afterwards and Bale for not following Alba when needed.
Both seemed lazy af to me yesterday. It's like they're not even trying that hard tbh.

Alabaster Codify7

I am taking some enjoyment from this. About time this club suffered. Saying that, Conte will come in and steady the ship, they'll spend big in the summer and be back to the top next season, or thereabouts.

Patrick08

I am taking some enjoyment from this. About time this club suffered. Saying that, Conte will come in and steady the ship, they'll spend big in the summer and be back to the top next season, or thereabouts.
Spend big on which player is the question.