Realistic Summer 2017: Ins & Outs

Womp

idiot
Feck, if I had a dollar everytime I read that 'house up for sale' rumour, only for that player not to go anywhere. The source is the Sun, it's bollocks.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ashton just said De Gea, Rooney are likely gone. Blind and Darmian are possible departures, and Carrick is building a house in the NE, so he may be off.

United Pro

Yep. Doesn't mean he doesn't have sources though. A lot of journos share info with one another.
Fair enough. Did he say that on the Sunday Supplement? If so, then journos have dramatised rumours on there in the past. I remember Richardson saying Bale to United was a near done deal a few years back.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Considering the board is not going to increase our transfer budget (or may just increase it marginally) despite the 2 injuries, it atleast that's what I'm assuming, I don't think we'd be actively looking to sell Rooney. I don't think we'd be spending more than 150-160m in transfers as Net budget.
We are definitely going to be buying a replacement for Ibra, most probably a marquee, and all the players we've been linked with are going to cost upwards of 50m at the very least and most likely somewhere 85m if we sign Griezmann.
Then we're also looking at a quality CB to partner Bailly, which will cost us 40m atleast(including the additional 'tax' we pay to sign players).
We've also sold 2 CMs and Carrick is on his last legs. Pereira's return will cover for one, but we'd still need another CM- which will be 25-30m atleast if we play with 2 CMs next season (and hence a backup) or around 40-45m if we sign a proper CM whoever that maybe.
We may also be signing a winger to give competition to Martial(if he isn't sold), Mkhi and Mata and that'd cost 20-25m for even a backup (as we do overpay for players).
All this is just to get back to this season's squad depth. And we've already signed 4 players and spent ~170-180m!
Let's say we sell one of Smalling or Jones or Blind, we'd recoup around 20m at the most but we'd need to sign another CB which would cost say 20-25m (assuming it's Keane).
And I just don't think we'd given 180m in net tranfer budget!
And before someone points to the wages we've saved, Griezmann would be on similar wages as Ibra, The CB we sign would have higher wages than Rojo by atleast 50k, we'd be giving similar wages as Depay to the winger we sign and similar, if not more, wages as Schneiderlin to the CM we sign. We're yet to extend contracts of Herrera and Juan, so that's Schweinsteiger's wages accounted for as well(by their pay rise+ CB excess wages + the CM excess wages + Lingard's pay rise + all other contracts we'd extend next season).

AkaAkuma

Defoe wants to play next season. He won't settle for second fiddle role. It's his last chance to play at a world cup. So he would choose a team fighting for survival and regular play over someone like us and be a back up.

Rooney most probably. The other exits could happen in January as Mourinho will probably talk the team up on "You all have a chance to play, just give me what I like.". And the ones who try their best and still can't get in they will leave in Jan. Kind of the same scenario as this season. Rooney already knows he's on the fringes and would really want to go to Russia, just like Defoe. So I see Rooney leaving in the summer. I just hope a "fifaesque" type of transfer could be pulled off - Rooney plus $$$ for Lukaku. Unless, Rooney is happy to be warming up the bench for a good pay check.
That's a fair point about Defoe and the WC, but surely the chance to play for the biggest club in the country tops it. He'd also be fresh playing less.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Considering the board is not going to increase our transfer budget (or may just increase it marginally) despite the 2 injuries, it atleast that's what I'm assuming, I don't think we'd be actively looking to sell Rooney. I don't think we'd be spending more than 150-160m in transfers as Net budget.
We are definitely going to be buying a replacement for Ibra, most probably a marquee, and all the players we've been linked with are going to cost upwards of 50m at the very least and most likely somewhere 85m if we sign Griezmann.
Then we're also looking at a quality CB to partner Bailly, which will cost us 40m atleast(including the additional 'tax' we pay to sign players).
We've also sold 2 CMs and Carrick is on his last legs. Pereira's return will cover for one, but we'd still need another CM- which will be 25-30m atleast if we play with 2 CMs next season (and hence a backup) or around 40-45m if we sign a proper CM whoever that maybe.
We may also be signing a winger to give competition to Martial(if he isn't sold), Mkhi and Mata and that'd cost 20-25m for even a backup (as we do overpay for players).
All this is just to get back to this season's squad depth. And we've already signed 4 players and spent ~170-180m!
Let's say we sell one of Smalling or Jones or Blind, we'd recoup around 20m at the most but we'd need to sign another CB which would cost say 20-25m (assuming it's Keane).
And before someone points to the wages we've saved, Griezmann would be on similar wages as Ibra, The CB we sign would have higher wages than Rojo by atleast 50k, we'd be giving similar wages as Depay to the winger we sign and similar, if not more, wages as Schneiderlin to the CM we sign. We're yet to extend contracts of Herrera and Juan, so that's Schweinsteiger's wages accounted for as well(by their pay rise+ CB excess wages + the CM excess wages + Lingard's pay rise + all other contracts we'd extend next season).
We don't need 180m in net budget since we've already gotten rid of Memphis and Schneiderlin, offloaded Schweinsteiger's wages, and will possibly be losing the wages of Zlatan and/or Rooney, as well as selling De Gea.

itso 7

I strongly believe we need to make just three signings - a striker, a DM and a CB. In the other positions we already have players that are proving useful even if they have had tough seasons e.g. on the wings I believe that we can get away without signing on since we have Mkhi, Martial, Rashford, Mata and Lingard all capable of playing there plus Pereira can do a job. So if we spent 85m on Griezmann, 40m on Fabinho and 35m on a CB we'd be grand and besides we have already made 40m from the Depay and Schneiderlin sales.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Is Pickford that good? Looks ok but he has a lot to do at Sunderland.

If DDG goes it will be mega money and United could then afford Oblak, more of a Mourinho type keeper than DDG or Pickford, I think.

Pickford is English though so that might be one reason they're looking at him. I keep hearing Handanovic linked too.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Nothing wrong with it at that time if he insisted on playing time. The real crime is not inserting a buy back clause like most clubs do when selling youngsters. That falls on Woodward.
Yeah, unbelievable really. You'd think they'd do that with all academy players, regardless of how they rated them.

AgentP

Is Pickford that good? Looks ok but he has a lot to do at Sunderland.

If DDG goes it will be mega money and United could then afford Oblak, more of a Mourinho type keeper than DDG or Pickford, I think.

Pickford is English though so that might be one reason they're looking at him. I keep hearing Handanovic linked too.
What do you mean by that?

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I'd be interested in seeing us play in a 352 formation. (I don't think it's something Mourinho would do full time)
With the likes of Martial and Rashford stepping up in attack, pace proved a different dimension and if we do actually sign Griezmann, I'd also say he'd thrive in this formation also. When Martial and Rashford are put out wide we just don't get the best out of them. That being said, for whatever formation we play the players I'd like to see come and go are:

Out:
Rooney - Still good enough for teams and deserves to be playing though he just isn't really at our standard anymore
Fellaini - Even when we are looking good, I just struggle to see how he improves our team. He may add height, but on the floor he's a weak link
Jones - Injuries are still a hinderance and can't be relied upon. Such a shame for somebody I had high hopes for when we signed him
Januzaj - I'd add a buyback clause, but right now I don't see a place for him, but the potential is clearly there if he knuckles down

Ibra - This is a difficult one and I am unsure if he deserves to be here. He's put up some great numbers, albeit should have been better with some of his opportunities. I know it's only been a few matches, but we look more exciting with pace up front and we actually stretch sides. We don't know how successfully he'll come back from his injury and the problem is, when fit, he plays, the bench just doesn't seem an option

Loans (If we can find Premiership clubs)
TFM, Pereira, Tuanzebe

-------
In:
Striker
Griezmann or Sanchez - Would be my first options
A lot on here seem to think Griezmann is all but done, but I just feel with the transfer ban, the only way to buy him would be to activate his clause, but that also means paying the fee up front. Sanchez clearly isn't happy at Arsenal and is in the last year of his contract. I'd consider him a gettable player.
Looking past these 2, the next 3 on my list would be Lukaku, Belotti or Icardi

Midfielder (Ideally I'd like to see 2 come in)
Naby Keita, Wiegl or Fabinho
If Carrick wants a contract I'd give him one, but I think we do need a younger version. Somebody who sits in front of the defence but is comfortable with the ball at their feet and can pass it out of midfield.

CB
Manolas, Varane or Van Dijk
Rojo has won over a lot of people this year but it'd be nice to have another top CB in our ranks.

We could look at a left back but I do believe Shaw can come good. A right back is an option also, but Valencia is doing the business so this year wouldn't be a priority.
As for other players in the team, Darmian could possibly leave as well as Varela

:drool:
De Gea
Bailly - Manolas - Rojo
Valencia -----------------------Shaw

Herrera - Fabinho - Pogba

Rashford - Griezmann
Martial would be perfect rotation up front
In midfield, when looking for a goal, Fabinho could be subbed out for Mhki or Mata
Carrick can be rotated in when needed and if we did get one more midfielder, he can cover for Pogba and Herrera, although with 3 CBs, Mata or Mhki could come in and play more advanced in the CM role
Blind and Smalling are good rotation options in defence. Fabinho can drop in at right back if needed. Young could be an options to rotate at left back but would be a position that needs addressing soon

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'd be interested in seeing us play in a 352 formation. (I don't think it's something Mourinho would do full time)
With the likes of Martial and Rashford stepping up in attack, pace proved a different dimension and if we do actually sign Griezmann, I'd also say he'd thrive in this formation also. When Martial and Rashford are put out wide we just don't get the best out of them. That being said, for whatever formation we play the players I'd like to see come and go are:

Out:
Rooney - Still good enough for teams and deserves to be playing though he just isn't really at our standard anymore
Fellaini - Even when we are looking good, I just struggle to see how he improves our team. He may add height, but on the floor he's a weak link
Jones - Injuries are still a hinderance and can't be relied upon. Such a shame for somebody I had high hopes for when we signed him
Januzaj - I'd add a buyback clause, but right now I don't see a place for him, but the potential is clearly there if he knuckles down

Ibra - This is a difficult one and I am unsure if he deserves to be here. He's put up some great numbers, albeit should have been better with some of his opportunities. I know it's only been a few matches, but we look more exciting with pace up front and we actually stretch sides. We don't know how successfully he'll come back from his injury and the problem is, when fit, he plays, the bench just doesn't seem an option

Loans (If we can find Premiership clubs)
TFM, Pereira, Tuanzebe

-------
In:
Striker
Griezmann or Sanchez - Would be my first options
A lot on here seem to think Griezmann is all but done, but I just feel with the transfer ban, the only way to buy him would be to activate his clause, but that also means paying the fee up front. Sanchez clearly isn't happy at Arsenal and is in the last year of his contract. I'd consider him a gettable player.
Looking past these 2, the next 3 on my list would be Lukaku, Belotti or Icardi

Midfielder (Ideally I'd like to see 2 come in)
Naby Keita, Wiegl or Fabinho
If Carrick wants a contract I'd give him one, but I think we do need a younger version. Somebody who sits in front of the defence but is comfortable with the ball at their feet and can pass it out of midfield.

CB
Manolas, Varane or Van Dijk
Rojo has won over a lot of people this year but it'd be nice to have another top CB in our ranks.

We could look at a left back but I do believe Shaw can come good. A right back is an option also, but Valencia is doing the business so this year wouldn't be a priority.
As for other players in the team, Darmian could possibly leave as well as Varela

De Gea
Bailly - Manolas - Rojo
Valencia -----------------------Shaw

Herrera - Fabinho - Pogba

Rashford - Griezmann
Martial would be perfect rotation up front
In midfield, when looking for a goal, Fabinho could be subbed out for Mhki or Mata
Carrick can be rotated in when needed and if we did get one more midfielder, he can cover for Pogba and Herrera, although with 3 CBs, Mata or Mhki could come in and play more advanced in the CM role
Blind and Smalling are good rotation options in defence. Fabinho can drop in at right back if needed. Young could be an options to rotate at left back but would be a position that needs addressing soon
Some good ideas in here. With Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger gone, I'd imagine we may bring in two midfielders - Pereira could be one of the two.

TehRed

So my "realistic" ins and outs are as follows:

Ins:
Schmeichel
Semedo
Keane
Dier
Fabinho
Griezmann

Outs:
Carrick
Rooney
Zlatan
De Gea
Darmian

50/50 to leave:
Young
Blind
Smalling
Jones

I won't go "full muppet" and think that three or even all four of those 50/50 guys will leave. There has to be some semblance of squad harmony and steady partnerships still, and replacing everyone doesn't help that. So i've got Smalling and Jones down as staying. I think if if we lose Blind and/or Young as well as Darmian then we buy someone for left back who will play just as often as Shaw, so maybe someone like Cresswell.

I think we end up with a squad that looks like this:

Keepers:

Schmeichel
Romero

• I think that De Gea leaves for monster money to Real, and we fund the majority of the Griezmann deal with that cash.
  • I think Schmeichel is a more solid option than Donnarumma and probably costs less than Oblak, as by now Atletico must be sick of losing top quality keepers.

Fullbacks:
Semedo
Valencia
Shaw
Young
Blind

• I think Darmian goes back to Italy, there's too much smoke for that not to happen.
  • I could see us keeping Blind for his versatility and using him as backup to Shaw.
  • Young has a decent chance of leaving, but the fact that Jose gave him the captain's armband against no less than Chelsea, means I think he'll be staying.
  • Valencia has been fantastic but I see us getting someone to begin relegating him to the bench, and I think Semedo is that guy.

Centre-backs:
Keane
Rojo
Bailly
Jones
Smalling

• I think Jose likes Jones despite the injuries and I can see us keeping Smalling rather than buying a second new CB.
  • There's too much smoke for there to be no fire when it comes to re-signing Keane, so I think that happens.
  • I think once Rojo comes back from injury, one of Smalling or Jones will be at risk.

Midfielders:
Herrera
Pogba
Fellaini
Fabinho
Dier

• I think Carrick finally leaves us, and Fabinho is the direct replacement and a starter.
  • Eric Dier covers us for both centre back and central midfield, leaving Blind free to focus on left back cover.

Forwards:
Mkhitaryan
Lingard
Mata
Griezmann
Rashford
Martial

• I see us having a fluid front three where these guys are all interchanging between wide and central positions.
  • I don't see us signing a new winger as I don't think we'll play two up top very often so Martial and Rashford will still get starts out wide.

Youth players:
JC Pereira
Borthwick-Jackson
Tuanzebe
Fosu-Mensah
A Pereira

• CBJ can cover left back if needed, but probably gets loaned out again unless Young and/or Blind leaves.
  • Tuanzebe will probably get early round Cup games to help cover for Rojo's absence, and more substitute appearances in comfortable games.
  • TFM can cover right back and a defensive midfield role, and I can see him getting more minutes next season, so I doubt we loan him out.
  • A Pereira will get minutes covering any and all attacking midfield roles, whether its out wide, no. 10 or the most advanced of a midfield three.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Ins:
Schmeichel
Semedo
Keane
Dier
Fabinho
Griezmann

Outs:
Carrick
Rooney
Zlatan
De Gea
Darmian

50/50 to leave:
Young
Blind
Smalling
Jones

I won't go "full muppet" and think that three or even all four of those 50/50 guys will leave. There has to be some semblance of squad harmony and steady partnerships still, and replacing everyone doesn't help that. So i've got Smalling and Jones down as staying. I think if if we lose Blind and/or Young as well as Darmian then we buy someone for left back who will play just as often as Shaw, so maybe someone like Cresswell.

Keepers:

Schmeichel
Romero

• I think that De Gea leaves for monster money to Real, and we fund the majority of the Griezmann deal with that cash.
  • I think Schmeichel is a more solid option than Donnarumma and probably costs less than Oblak, as by now Atletico must be sick of losing top quality keepers.

Fullbacks:
Semedo
Valencia
Shaw
Young
Blind

• I think Darmian goes back to Italy, there's too much smoke for that not to happen.
  • I could see us keeping Blind for his versatility and using him as backup to Shaw.
  • Young has a decent chance of leaving, but the fact that Jose gave him the captain's armband against no less than Chelsea, means I think he'll be staying.
  • Valencia has been fantastic but I see us getting someone to begin relegating him to the bench, and I think Semedo is that guy.

Centre-backs:
Keane
Rojo
Bailly
Jones
Smalling

• I think Jose likes Jones despite the injuries and I can see us keeping Smalling rather than buying a second new CB.
  • There's too much smoke for there to be no fire when it comes to re-signing Keane, so I think that happens.
  • I think once Rojo comes back from injury, one of Smalling or Jones will be at risk.

Midfielders:
Herrera
Pogba
Fellaini
Fabinho
Dier

• I think Carrick finally leaves us, and Fabinho is the direct replacement and a starter.
  • Eric Dier covers us for both centre back and central midfield, leaving Blind free to focus on left back cover.

Forwards:
Mkhitaryan
Lingard
Mata
Griezmann
Rashford
Martial

• I see us having a fluid front three where these guys are all interchanging between wide and central positions.
  • I don't see us signing a new winger as I don't think we'll play two up top very often so Martial and Rashford will still get starts out wide.

Youth players:
JC Pereira
Borthwick-Jackson
Tuanzebe
Fosu-Mensah
A Pereira

• CBJ can cover left back if needed, but probably gets loaned out again unless Young and/or Blind leaves.
  • Tuanzebe will probably get early round Cup games to help cover for Rojo's absence, and more substitute appearances in comfortable games.
  • TFM can cover right back and a defensive midfield role, and I can see him getting more minutes next season, so I doubt we loan him out.
  • A Pereira will get minutes covering any and all attacking midfield roles, whether its out wide, no. 10 or the most advanced of a midfield three.
I think Varela may be back since he is injured and we won't be able to sell him. I personally rate him and think he will make it once he's back to fitness. Januzaj will probably be sold imo.

TehRed

I think Varela may be back since he is injured and we won't be able to sell him. I personally rate him and think he will make it once he's back to fitness. Januzaj will probably be sold imo.
Y'know, it's pretty damning that I actually forgot all about Januzaj. So yeah, he's gone. I didn't mind Varela from what i've seen of him, but I can see him going to Spain eventually. I figure we loan him out in January if he isn't fit before next season starts.

The White Pele

What kind of fee do people expect we would get for DDG?

As good as he is, surely Madrid would rather spend the bulk of their transfer kitty on Hazard or another forward player.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Looks like the DDG thing is really gathering speed again. Pity. Anyone else is a step down but no point having players who aren't fully committed either way.
I don't think too many players will be sold. The team is playing quite well again and the likes of darmian, young fellaini blind etc are all playing their part, won't rock the boat and are solid. This exact squad should be challenging. We just need a little bit of quality and we will be all good.

Keeper- I kind of like the idea of pickford. It'd be nice to have the young England goalkeeper if he's that good. if the coaches and scouts think he can step up to United then that's good enough for me. I think its good to keep a core of British and irish players if at all possible.

Defenders- only if one goes and I think the only reason mourinho will sell any of them is because they get injured too much. We have a great defence! Giminez or varane if we do buy and sell one but Bailly was out of nowhere and he's class. Jose knows centre backs. Maybe that nutter Aurier if we need backup for valencia. I think semedo looks outstanding too and probably has a more stable personality.

Midfield- someone like neves who can knock it around the place and could become a star here. He won't cost the world.
Tielemaans- thought he did very well against us, better than the Chelsea midfield. Has a lot of promise. Won't cost a lot. If we don't sell any of our midfielders there's enough already. I'd love to sign Bernardo Silva if we go for one of the Monaco players. He's great to watch.
Forwards - dolberg looks talented and he's gettable, probably should just stay in Holland for another year. Watch Dortmund or RB Leipzig or Monaco even sign him for half or even less than what they'll sell him for.
One of Belotti icardi or lukaku

Bring a few of the youth into the squad next year. That's more than enough

Players out: Rooney, DDG, Adnan, possibly carrick? (if you told me three years ago these players would be leaving now I'd have had a very different reaction!)

That should do it.

Pavl3n

That's a fair point about Defoe and the WC, but surely the chance to play for the biggest club in the country tops it. He'd also be fresh playing less.
When you're at his age and put back-up option at Manchester United vs first team football at mid table team and playing at the next world cup on the scale, surely WC weighs a bit more.

RedMaestro

When you're at his age and put back-up option at Manchester United vs first team football at mid table team and playing at the next world cup on the scale, surely WC weighs a bit more.
Wouldn't he be back-up in the NT?

A back up at United could still mean a PL-title and hopefully a CL-title (difficult but still).

SouthPredators4

Looks like the DDG thing is really gathering speed again. Pity. Anyone else is a step down but no point having players who aren't fully committed either way.
I don't think too many players will be sold. The team is playing quite well again and the likes of darmian, young fellaini blind etc are all playing their part, won't rock the boat and are solid. This exact squad should be challenging. We just need a little bit of quality and we will be all good.

Keeper- I kind of like the idea of pickford. It'd be nice to have the young England goalkeeper if he's that good. if the coaches and scouts think he can step up to United then that's good enough for me. I think its good to keep a core of British and irish players if at all possible.

Defenders- only if one goes and I think the only reason mourinho will sell any of them is because they get injured too much. We have a great defence! Giminez or varane if we do buy and sell one but Bailly was out of nowhere and he's class. Jose knows centre backs. Maybe that nutter Aurier if we need backup for valencia. I think semedo looks outstanding too and probably has a more stable personality.

Midfield- someone like neves who can knock it around the place and could become a star here. He won't cost the world.
Tielemaans- thought he did very well against us, better than the Chelsea midfield. Has a lot of promise. Won't cost a lot. If we don't sell any of our midfielders there's enough already. I'd love to sign Bernardo Silva if we go for one of the Monaco players. He's great to watch.
Forwards - dolberg looks talented and he's gettable, probably should just stay in Holland for another year. Watch Dortmund or RB Leipzig or Monaco even sign him for half or even less than what they'll sell him for.
One of Belotti icardi or lukaku

Bring a few of the youth into the squad next year. That's more than enough

Players out: Rooney, DDG, Adnan, possibly carrick? (if you told me three years ago these players would be leaving now I'd have had a very different reaction!)

That should do it.
That is exactly why we need to include their key players as part exchange. Letting them pay with cash alone is simply allowing them to fcuk with us all over again. Realistically, a Varane or Kroos the bare minimal given they are getting the best gk and being Spanish commands a premium.

Pavl3n

Ins:
Schmeichel
Semedo
Keane
Dier
Fabinho
Griezmann

Outs:
Carrick
Rooney
Zlatan
De Gea
Darmian

50/50 to leave:
Young
Blind
Smalling
Jones

Keepers:

Schmeichel
Romero

Fullbacks:
Semedo
Valencia
Shaw
Young
Blind

Centre-backs:
Keane
Rojo
Bailly
Jones
Smalling

Midfielders:
Herrera
Pogba
Fellaini
Fabinho
Dier

Forwards:
Mkhitaryan
Lingard
Mata
Griezmann
Rashford
Martial

Youth players:
JC Pereira
Borthwick-Jackson
Tuanzebe
Fosu-Mensah
A Pereira

I don't see anything about Rooney. Which must say Mourinho has managed him pretty well - he's totally out of the picture, which is in our heads. It's a 50/50 call with him - get out and play regularly so he can get back in the England team for WC, or try to revive his career here at United. However, I have a feeling Mourinho would want one more addition to the attacking front, that typical target man, which Ibra and Costa have been in his most recent teams. I am not sure Rashford and Martial can fulfill that role, although when I look at Martial, there were notes in that last Burnley game.

Whatever €50m-€60m is in pounds
I would rather say swap the € with a £.

ovoxo

We should go after Oblak if DDG leaves
He's awful at saving penalties but a very good keeper other than that.

Problem is, don't they have a transfer ban this summer? If we got Griezmann (which I fully expect us to), would Aletico sell us their Goalkeeper too? Considering they wouldn't be able to purchase a replacement?

Edit: I've just seen they're appealing the ban, and are awaiting a verdict.

Pavl3n

Wouldn't he be back-up in the NT?

A back up at United could still mean a PL-title and hopefully a CL-title (difficult but still).
Yes, he would be a back-up at the NT, however he knows he might get called upon in a game or two, although there's Kane, Vardy even Rashford ahead of him. At the end of the day it comes to his own personal priorities, but I am inclined to believe that prospect of WC weighs more, especially at this stage of his career, therefore he would chose what would aid his try to get in the NT.
But again, you might be right and the prospect of winning PL and play in CL and have a go at it, could be higher up in his priority list.

TehRed

I don't see anything about Rooney. Which must say Mourinho has managed him pretty well - he's totally out of the picture, which is in our heads. It's a 50/50 call with him - get out and play regularly so he can get back in the England team for WC, or try to revive his career here at United. However, I have a feeling Mourinho would want one more addition to the attacking front, that typical target man, which Ibra and Costa have been in his most recent teams. I am not sure Rashford and Martial can fulfill that role, although when I look at Martial, there were notes in that last Burnley game.
When you consider who the target man type players are these days, a lot of them such as the likes of Lukaku, Lewandowski, Costa, etc would all cost a lot of money. If we are going to be getting Griezmann (or someone of his quality) then i'm not sure we'd spend nearly the same amount again on a target man. It would severely limit the chances for Martial and Rashford to play centrally, as your two signings would have to be guaranteed starters. Then you're looking at players like Mandzukic or Dzeko, and then after those guys maybe Benteke, Bas Dost or Artem Dzyuba. I just don't really see it being any of those guys. I think we'd maybe be more likely to get someone like Aduriz, Llorente or Gomez. We could probably get one of those guys in on a relatively short term deal, they wouldn't expect to play every game, and they have plenty of experience and can mentor the other strikers in the target man style of play.

Having said that, I think we'd be more likely to get another winger in, so that Rashford and Martial don't have to play as wingers themselves so much, rather than getting in another striker and keeping those guys pushed out wide. Personally, I see us just getting one striker and no wingers, although I wouldn't rule out a youth striker purchase.

We could keep Rooney on for the mentoring/part time role, but he's not a target man and he's already had time with our current strikers to pass on any knowledge etc. We could also keep Zlatan around for his rehabilitation and to help him get fit again, even if he's not offered a new contract.

ovoxo

I expected 4 signings but that was before the injuries to Rojo and Ibra. Originally I expected a RB, CB, CM and Griezmann. However, now I expect a CB, CM, Griezmann, and a back up Striker. However, we'll need a goalkeeper too if De Gea leaves. I guess a Varane for De Gea plus cash would be ideal.

Last edited:

FredeDK

I think Schmeichel is a more solid option than Donnarumma and probably costs less than Oblak, as by now Atletico must be sick of losing top quality keepers.
I think they're more sick of losing top quailty strikers than keepers :P (Griezmann, Falcao, Torres, Aguero, Costa, Villa, ect.)

worldinmotion66

Obviously, a lot of our business this summer is dependent upon the situation with De Gea and Ibrahimovic. For arguments sake, I'm going to assume that we will keep hold of both (I see no reason for De Gea to force a move now given his impeccable behaviour thus far, and I feel that as a club we have more class than to oust a player that has served us well based on injury alone, plus he could be very useful on his return).

So considering this, I feel that we need to be looking at recruiting in the following positions and roles. We need to have a number of potential targets for each role, so I will suggest a few:

Right Back/Wing Back - a long term replacement for Valencia. This isn't a necessity given Valencia's transition to right back and his phenomenal performances this term, but if the right option becomes available, I think we could make a move.

Serge Aurier - He's contracted until 2019 but is rumoured to want to leave PSG. Obviously a very volatile character and a bit of a potential risk, but has exceptional ability. He's incredibly strong and quick - a similar player to Valencia but generally with greater end product. At only 24 years old he can still improve, but he doesn't have many footballing weaknesses. He's also great in the air and can play in central defence, meaning he could be useful as a backup in that regard to accommodate Valencia or even Lingard in an attacking 3-5-2/3-4-3 on occasion. The fees recently quoted in French media seem relatively low given the potential of the player.

Centre Back - either a world class partner for Bailly or a decent replacement for Jones who can compete with Rojo and Smalling.

Raphael Varane - He's one of only a few central defenders that I believe could become World class, has exceptional physicality and particularly pace, whilst being tall and able in the air. He's also excellent on the ball and has good experience for a player of his age. In my opinion, he'd make a great partner for the tenacious and somewhat impulsive Bailly. I understand, however, that he is a favourite of Zidane and is unlikely to leave Madrid, but he should be our primary target.

Leonardo Bonucci - There were strong links that he may consider a move last summer. Should Juventus win the CL, he may consider another challenge, and City have been closely linked. He has incredible experience and the Italian defensive identity, a great player that would improve any side in World football.

Michael Keane - I was skeptical that he had the necessary quality at first, but he took to International football like a duck to water and surprised me with his range of passing and technical skill. He's home grown (which could be crucial if we lose Rooney/Young/Jones), he would be relatively cheap given that he has a year left on his contract, he would probably be more accepting of squad rotation, and he knows the club and league. He needs to improve positionally and lacks pace, but Bailly has shown that he is able to sweep and cover his partner.

Defensive Midfield - an anchoring midfielder with physical presence and ball playing ability to replace Carrick.

Fabinho - Has shown exceptional improvement in the last few seasons as a holding midfielder, but is obviously versatile enough to cover right back. He's young, strong, great in the air, has a decent passing range and covers the ground really well. He seems most likely to move on from Monaco this summer as they look to hold onto their younger stars. Has still got four years left on his contract though, so any transfer ill not come cheap. Fabinho's discipline is a key attribute for me, as he can hold in a three to release Pogba and Herrera, or play in a two alongside one of those aforementioned and do the dirty work. Would give us many options.

Eric Dier - I really don't understand the negativity towards Dier here.I think he'd be a great acquisition - he's basically got everything Fabinho has minus the incredible stamina and attacking ability, but with the added bonus of being an accomplished centre back. I think he'd be really useful in a three man defence and has the added bonus of being English. He knows the league and apparently supports the club. Dealing with Levy could be difficult and he has a long contract, so it's probably unlikely.

Leandro Paredes - Roma's 22 year old has two years left on his contract, and has struggled to hold down a first team spot with De Rossi and Strootman often preferred behind Nainggolan. He is much more of a creative passing player, with exceptional technique and set piece prowess. He is also pretty tenacious though, likes to dive into challenges and is quite good at timing his tackles. He's also a lot more mobile than the likes of Carrick and Wiegl, but lacks the aerial presence and power of other potential targets. I don't think he would cost the earth, and he has serious potential.

Attacking Midfield - a goal scoring, but versatile midfielder/forward, effectively replacing Rooney's role. I think this is an area where we will spend big.

Antoine Griezmann - He's clinical, has great movement and work rate. Has a release clause, has roots to the club in terms of International teammates and supposed supporting of United. I think he suits the counter attacking style that Mourinho will move towwards, and would be an apt foil for Rashford/Martial in a 4-2-3-1. He can also play from the right in a 4-3-3, which will be vital when we play against the big boys, as well as playing as a false 9 when needs must. I think he's currently among the top 5 attacking players in the World.

Neymar - Would be an extraordinary signing, extremely expensive but capable of unlocking stubborn defences, playing on the counter, scoring and creating. Much depends on the desires of the player an d the finances of his club, but if he became available I do think we would top the queue. He probably falls short of Griezmann in worl ethic but compensates in creativity and dribbling ability.

James Rodriguez - I was a big fan before his move to Real Madrid, and i think Mourinho could be the man to help him back to his best. He is a goalscorer, a classic counter attacking #10 with an incredible shot, capable of scoring and creating from nothing. I firmly believe he would excel in our team, and would become a fans favourite. The only question marks are his off field reputation and perhaps his work rate, but he has shown the desire to work hard for his national team, and I seriously think there is a phenomenal player in there. Would be a much cheaper punt than the other two, but a punt non the less.

I would be happy with one from each list, but I do see the merits in leaving the central defence and signing one of Aurier/Dier to cover that position going forward. Rojo has been a revelation and I see no reason to change for the sake of change. We can also manage with Valencia at right back and continue with Darmin and Fosu-Mensah as back ups, should we need to.

The absolute priority has to be adding goals to the team. We have squad players capable of much higher output (Rashford/Martial/Mkhitaryan/Lingard), but we need to both change our attacking focus to one of speed and countering, and change our midfield set up to release Pogba. Adding a versatile goalscorer with exceptional movement is key to our attack next season, and I think a holding midfielder is key to Pogba's development. We also have to carefully consider our home grown quota going forward as we'll likely lose Rooney, Young and possible one of Jones/Smalling/Shaw, but I'm still confident in the young blood coming through - Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah and Pereira should play a part next year.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I think this all depends to if we get into the CL.

johanovic

If De Gea and Ibra plus Rooney,Carrick,Darmian,Januzaj,Jones,Young,Mata are not going to be here we are gonna need:
Gk: Oblak
Right back: Semedo
Left back: Mendy
Central defence: Varane
DM: Weigl
Right wing: Dembele
Striker: Griezman
Striker: Mourinho likes to have a big physical strike so Lukaku is the obvious choice here.
Of course this would seem unlikely to happen but Mourinho cleared out 3 players on huge salaries already this year plus that if players like Rooney,De Gea and Ibra leave then there will be a lot of money free to make the changes needed. So it will be interesting to see what happens but it´s clear the english clubs have a long way to go to match the best teams in Europe, so is there another option than to make the investments needed to be able to compete?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Why does everyone want an always injured Varane to replace an always injured Jones/Smalling? Surely we need someone who doesn't get injured.

GrandJury

Jose will find 1-2 unknown players like Bailly who will sign for us and we'll be asking how we hadn't heard of therm before.

We'll sign Griezmann as our marquee summer signing.

DDG will stay.

All of this is assuming we make the CL