Really - why did so many of you think Mourinho was better than LVG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
There is still a large VG contingent lurking below the surface still pining for their fallen master. No doubt we'll get these threads popping up from time to time. Why??? Heaven knows.
I keep hoping this thread will disappear, but it won't. It lingers like a stale fart under the duvet after a dinner of too much corned beef and cabbage.
:lol:

He finished higher than Moyes and got us back into the CL, so yes, I'd say he did move us forward, perhaps even saved the club.
This has to be an on-going joke which I and several others, are not in on.
Next, we shall see posters suggesting that we need to build a statue of LVG, in recognition of his achievements for MUFC. :wenger:

The bore fest that was inflicted upon us, was not because we had boring players, it's because we had boring tactics. And whats worse, is that the eye burning drivel wasn't even getting us results. We finished 18 pts behind Leicester for feck sake. Long term game indeed
That about sums up LVG's 2 seasons with us. I don't understand how any sane person who actually watched our games during this time, could argue against this.

wolvored

This is just painful to read. To say that we were missing a midfielder to carry the ball or one to create a chance, or anything else for that matter is ridiculous.
We had at least 10 midfielders. All of whom were full internationals. And yet it was common place to go 90 minutes without creating more than a single shot on target.
Man for man, our midfielders were better than a lot of the teams that had no problem creating multiples of our chances.
Average teams from Watford and Stoke to Everton and Palace none of whom had our midfield talent were all far more creative than us.
Carrick, Herrera, Shwienstiger, Mata, Schniederlin, Young, Valencia, Blind, Depay, Lingard, Rooney and Fooking DiMaria.... and we couldn't pick four of them that could create a few chances? I'm not buying that, because I watched it for 2 years and I saw these players consistently implement the "Philosophy" by stopping, turning around and recycling the ball.
The bore fest that was inflicted upon us, was not because we had boring players, it's because we had boring tactics. And whats worse, is that the eye burning drivel wasn't even getting us results. We finished 18 pts behind Leicester for feck sake. Long term game indeed
I was going to answer this but you have done an excellent job as well. Well said Woe!

Andersons Dietician

So, let me get this straight. If LVG had stayed for one more season, you know, for a fact that:
- He would have bought Pogba, or another "ball carrying midfielder"?
- The acquisition of said "ball carrying midfielder" was the magic silver bullet that would've brought the entire project and philosophy into full bloom and enlightened all of us.
- LVG was building for the long term when the man himself said he'd retire after 3 seasons. Of course, you know he was just lying.
- This long term plan of his must have also included us hiring someone next season to continue to build on his philosophy in the long term, and that person is whom ... Ryan Giggs? Pep leaving City for us after this season?

FFS.

Do explain how you know all of this.
I didn't give any guarantees, but it was pretty obvious what was missing and I don't know if he would have bought Pogba but then he might have looked elsewhere, Sanches for example.
Also he did say he might stay longer than 3 years, and also I think we all know the plan was LVG build a team of young stars who have an identity and philosophy that Giggs could come in then take over. The board clearly buckled under the media pressure

Andersons Dietician

This is just painful to read. To say that we were missing a midfielder to carry the ball or one to create a chance, or anything else for that matter is ridiculous.
We had at least 10 midfielders. All of whom were full internationals. And yet it was common place to go 90 minutes without creating more than a single shot on target.
Man for man, our midfielders were better than a lot of the teams that had no problem creating multiples of our chances.
Average teams from Watford and Stoke to Everton and Palace none of whom had our midfield talent were all far more creative than us.
Carrick, Herrera, Shwienstiger, Mata, Schniederlin, Young, Valencia, Blind, Depay, Lingard, Rooney and Fooking DiMaria.... and we couldn't pick four of them that could create a few chances? I'm not buying that, because I watched it for 2 years and I saw these players consistently implement the "Philosophy" by stopping, turning around and recycling the ball.
You need different elements in any team, if you had 3 Makeles in your midfield would you expect them to create anything?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I wish we'd just gone straight for Jose after Sir Alex retired. It was a squad of proven winners and I don't think we ever needed to go through these brutal last few years tbh. LVG should have done better with the squad he had and the amount the club invested. I just think what he was doing was making everything far too complicated. The team was talented enough if he actually let them express themselves and managed the squad correctly.
Awful awful football for the most part too apart from that run... the fun is back on match day!

RedStarUnited

Well that isn't very true as Zlatan was dropped, kicked out of Barca for not following Peps instructions, and then there is that story of Thierry saying how one day he thought it would be great if he swapped sides and Pep gave him a telling off and I think he even subbed him for not following instructions.

Peps ideas are the same as LVG's to an extent and is all based on positional play, if your team member is within his zone, position the passing should be instinctive and faster as you should always know in what area he is. This is also a reason he had a problem with Herrera as he wasn't positionally great and always went on free roam and abandoning his position.

LVG didn't want sideways, backwards and slow passing, that's a lie people have told themselves, he always said the tempo needed to be higher, however he just didn't have the player or two in midfield to make something happen with all the possession and when it did start to click and be at its best we had a very young inexperienced front line.
Nah The Henry thing was he vacated his position therefor making the team narrow. Pep wants his team to have width.

Pep is positional play until the final third where the forwards are free to do whatever's necessary to score.

Andersons Dietician

Nah The Henry thing was he vacated his position therefor making the team narrow. Pep wants his team to have width.

Pep is positional play until the final third where the forwards are free to do whatever's necessary to score.
But that contradicts pretty much everything you just said, unless you mean they have free licence to just take pot shots with a very low percentage of actually scoring as that is really the only difference between the two schools of philosophy in the final 3rd.

Then also Henry and Messi's job and those before them Ronaldinho, Giuly's job was to drive inside to allow the full backs or I guess wingbacks as really to provide the width and that is whenthe system became 2143 giving them the width through the fullbacks.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Just realized that we’re the only English club that can win the quadruple this season :p

Woeisme

Just realized that we’re the only English club that can win the quadruple this season :p
Well thats just wrong. Technically, we could win a quadruple, but we can't win the quadruple.
Bit like that other crowd crowing about winning a treble that didn't include the league. Please, come on.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Well thats just wrong. Technically, we could win a quadruple, but we can't win the quadruple.
Bit like that other crowd crowing about winning a treble that didn't include the league. Please, come on.
I apologise. I was truly serious, too. Tbf our quadruple would include a league title.

unimaginative_name

Factually speaking, Jose Mourinho isn't a better manager than LVG if we take into account the holistic aspects of football.

In terms of trophies won, LVG had 18 seasons in football Club management, won 7 titles, several domestic cup titles, reached champions league finals thrice, won 1 of them, one of the two losses were in penalties. Jose is managing his 15th season in Club management, won 1 more title (probably will never win another unless he manages somewhere like League One), but reached champions league final once less than LVG, but won both champions leagues by thoroughly playing Helenio Herrera type of super negative football, very much unlike that of Ajax in 95.

In terms of long term legacy in football, LVG trumps above Jose by miles. LVG promoted youth everywhere he was, whether that is forced by injuries or whether those players were too talented to be ignored or whether those players were discovered by others, it's a fact that, LVG promoted youth that kept serving all the clubs years after he had been fired. Yes, he may not be a genuine football philosopher like Johan Cruyff and he did not revolutionize Barcelona, but he maintained the continuity of the dutch style at Barcelona when Cruyff left in 90s, LVG's role was, in that sense, crucial to Barcelona's evolution despite his failure in 2003.

Jose has never kept such legacy anywhere at any club he has been to. His managerial style in very short term only prioritizing the present moment.

In terms of failure, LVG had the worst failure at Barca in 2003, which is pretty much matched by Jose's failure at Chelsea last year. Apart from Uniao De Leiria, Porto and Inter Jose has been sacked everywhere, LVG too has been sacked everywhere except Ajax and AZ. Yes, LVG may have failed with the dutch once, but he more than made up for it in WC2014.

So, overall, LVG did not have any worse career than Jose, he is or was no worse manager than Jose. One thing is for sure proven now, both the managers are things of past (Yes, already 11pts behind after just 13 matches proves Jose cannot succeed at United). Football management is past them, both should retire now, LVG already seemed to have, I'd be glad to see the back of Jose too.

In conclusion, LVG should have been replaced by someone like Klopp, Pep Guardiola or Mauricio Pochettino, they would have never taken a U-turn from all the work LVG has done and set us back to square one, the place where Moyes left us. Mourinho is the last man in the universe, not just on earth, we should have appointed as the manager. He is only successful when the team is ready, not for a rebuilding or revival task, he has never done any revival at any club, he has only managed clubs who were on the rise, not who were on the fall.

Last edited:

wolvored

I didn't give any guarantees, but it was pretty obvious what was missing and I don't know if he would have bought Pogba but then he might have looked elsewhere, Sanches for example.
Also he did say he might stay longer than 3 years, and also I think we all know the plan was LVG build a team of young stars who have an identity and philosophy that Giggs could come in then take over. The board clearly buckled under the media pressure
He blocked the Sanchez deal. We were in for him and he said no. Mourinho said when he joined, he wouldnt of stopped the club signing him.

wolvored

Factually speaking, Jose Mourinho isn't a better manager than LVG if we take into account the holistic aspects of football.

In terms of trophies won, LVG had 18 seasons in football Club management, won 7 titles, several domestic cup titles, reached champions league finals thrice, won 1 of them, one of the two losses were in penalties. Jose is managing his 15th season in Club management, won 1 more title (probably will never win another unless he manages somewhere like League One), but reached champions league final once less than LVG, but won both champions leagues by thoroughly playing Helenio Herrera type of super negative football, very much unlike that of Ajax in 95.

In terms of long term legacy in football, LVG trumps above Jose by miles. LVG promoted youth everywhere he was, whether that is forced by injuries or whether those players were too talented to be ignored or whether those players were discovered by others, it's a fact that, LVG promoted youth that kept serving all the clubs years after he had been fired. Yes, he may not be a genuine football philosopher like Johan Cruyff and he did revolutionize Barcelona, but he maintained the continuity of the dutch style at Barcelona when Cruff left in 90s, LVG's role was, in that sense, crucial to Barcelona's evolution despite his failure in 2003.

Jose has never kept such legacy anywhere at any club he has been to. His managerial style in very short term only prioritizing the present moment.

In terms of failure, LVG had the worst failure at Barca in 2003, which is pretty much matched by Jose's failure at Chelsea last year. Apart from Uniao De Leiria, Porto and Inter Jose has been sacked everywhere, LVG too has been sacked everywhere except Ajax and AZ. Yes, LVG may have failed with the dutch once, but he more than made up for it in WC2014.

So, overall, LVG did not have any worse career than Jose, he is or was no worse manager than Jose. One thing is for sure proven now, both the managers are things of past (Yes, already 11pts behind after just 13 matches prove Jose cannot succeed at United). Football management is past them, both should hang retire now, LVG already seemed to have, I'd be glad to see the back of Jose too.
Lets give Mourinho 2 years here like VG then we can compare like for like. If he wins less than VG in 2 years then you can say hes a worse manager.
By the way I didnt want either VG or Mourinho, but I backed VG up to last xmas when it was clear we were getting worse, and I think Mourinho deserves the same chance. The football is already a lot more exciting. Just needs the chances to turn into goals.

Stringer

In terms of long term legacy in football, LVG trumps above Jose by miles. LVG promoted youth everywhere he was, whether that is forced by injuries or whether those players were too talented to be ignored or whether those players were discovered by others, it's a fact that, LVG promoted youth that kept serving all the clubs years after he had been fired. Yes, he may not be a genuine football philosopher like Johan Cruyff and he did revolutionize Barcelona, but he maintained the continuity of the dutch style at Barcelona when Cruff left in 90s, LVG's role was, in that sense, crucial to Barcelona's evolution despite his failure in 2003.

So, overall, LVG did not have any worse career than Jose, he is or was no worse manager than Jose. One thing is for sure proven now, both the managers are things of past (Yes, already 11pts behind after just 13 matches prove Jose cannot succeed at United). Football management is past them, both should hang retire now, LVG already seemed to have, I'd be glad to see the back of Jose too.
:lol: Enjoy your stay in the newbies if you carry on posting nonsense like that.

unimaginative_name

:lol: Enjoy your stay in the newbies if you carry on posting nonsense like that.
I really could not care less if I'm promoted or not, I speak my mind. I am sure that Jose will fail. I have edited the post you have quoted, I explained why Jose will fail.

Btw, what did I say in my post which is factually wrong? What proof is there that Jose is anything but what I said he is?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

So, overall, LVG did not have any worse career than Jose.
Awesome. Don't think I've ever seen an agenda twist reality quite this badly out of shape.

dove

In terms of long term legacy in football, LVG trumps above Jose by miles. LVG promoted youth everywhere he was, whether that is forced by injuries or whether those players were too talented to be ignored or whether those players were discovered by others, it's a fact that, LVG promoted youth that kept serving all the clubs years after he had been fired. Yes, he may not be a genuine football philosopher like Johan Cruyff and he did not revolutionize Barcelona, but he maintained the continuity of the dutch style at Barcelona when Cruff left in 90s, LVG's role was, in that sense, crucial to Barcelona's evolution despite his failure in 2003.

So, overall, LVG did not have any worse career than Jose, he is or was no worse manager than Jose. One thing is for sure proven now, both the managers are things of past (Yes, already 11pts behind after just 13 matches proves Jose cannot succeed at United). Football management is past them, both should hang retire now, LVG already seemed to have, I'd be glad to see the back of Jose too.

In conclusion, LVG should have been replaced by someone like Klopp, Pep Guardiola or Mauricio Pochettino, they would have never taken a U-turn from all the work LVG has done and set us back to square one, the place where Moyes left us. Mourinho is the last man in the universe, not just on earth, we should have appointed as the manager. He is only successful when the team is ready, not for a rebuilding or revival task, he has never done any revival at any club, he has only managed clubs who were on the rise, not who were on the fall.
This is one of the the worst posts of the year :D

Chorley1974

Lady Ole

In terms of long term legacy in football, LVG trumps above Jose by miles. LVG promoted youth everywhere he was, whether that is forced by injuries or whether those players were too talented to be ignored or whether those players were discovered by others, it's a fact that, LVG promoted youth that kept serving all the clubs years after he had been fired. Yes, he may not be a genuine football philosopher like Johan Cruyff and he did not revolutionize Barcelona, but he maintained the continuity of the dutch style at Barcelona when Cruff left in 90s, LVG's role was, in that sense, crucial to Barcelona's evolution despite his failure in 2003.

So, overall, LVG did not have any worse career than Jose, he is or was no worse manager than Jose. One thing is for sure proven now, both the managers are things of past (Yes, already 11pts behind after just 13 matches proves Jose cannot succeed at United). Football management is past them, both should hang retire now, LVG already seemed to have, I'd be glad to see the back of Jose too.

How the feck did this tool make it into the mains?

unimaginative_name

How the feck did this tool make it into the mains?
This is one of the the worst posts of the year :D
Awesome. Don't think I've ever seen an agenda twist reality quite this badly out of shape.
So, every one has to agree with your way of thinking?

I would like to see your points in factually proving Jose is better than LVG, not just on the basis of trophy counts, but also on the basis of creating legacy at football clubs. Rather than claiming I have an agenda or that I'm the worst poster (which I probably am), I would like to have a constructive debate on why Jose would be the person to have the responsibility to revive United, whereas he has no proven record of reviving any other club in the past.

Last edited:

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
So, every one has to agree with your way of thinking? Why don't you go on and prove that actually Jose is better than LVG both in terms of trophy count and footballing legacy? Show me where Jose has done anything good with teams that are going down like United are.
I just asked a question. I wasn't asking you to agree.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Who are you judge me when you cannot prove my argument wrong? What has Jose done until now that proves him a better fit at United than LVG?
Your point is subjective, I don't agree with it. Just go to Old Trafford and see what is being played and how us fans react vs the tumescent shite that LVG served up.

unimaginative_name

Your point is subjective, I don't agree with it. Just go to Old Trafford and see what is being played and how us fans react vs the tumescent shite that LVG served up.
I damn care about how fans react, once fans even wanted SAF gone too.

I still believe what LVG was doing was best for the long term of this club, I'm annoyed that he failed and I will not say he was not responsible, he is indeed fully culpable for his failings, his signings did not perform, he should never have signed Bastian Schweinsteiger, Falcao etc. But having said all that, Mourinho is NOT the answer to our problems.

Trying with LVG was a right decision which ended up as a failure, but signing Mourinho is a very bad decision from the start. The club should have had a contingency plan, they should have ensured LVG to be replaced with one of Klopp, Pochettino or Pep Guardiola, these managers suit our club, they have the right approach to football. It's a massive disappointment that we signed Mourinho, he is everything that is not Manchester United. It proves that this club lack any long term footballing vision at all.

Devil may care

Who are you to judge me when you cannot prove my argument wrong? What has Jose done until now that proves him a better fit at United than LVG?
Well Pogue proved that factually you are indeed wrong, Jose is ten years younger than LvG and has won more and therefore is more successful, playing fancy football and using kids is not a requirement for factual success.

You cite legacy of kids and style of play, one is irrelevant and the other is a subjective taste, not a fact. For most United fans of at least 30 years experience last season was the worst, most tumescent football ever seen from a United team, this season's entertainment alone is enough for us to feel Jose is a better fit. LvG came in and tried to turn United into a Ajax/Barca posession obsession team and thought he was bigger than the club, Jose is trying to play traditional, direct, fast paced United football but hasn't thrown out the posession game completely.

Andersons Dietician

He blocked the Sanchez deal. We were in for him and he said no. Mourinho said when he joined, he wouldnt of stopped the club signing him.
He didn't block it at all. the board must have known he was going and they were signing Jose, so if Jose wanted him and they could have got him then it would have been done, the process took too long and Bayern went in and did the business.
LVG didn't block it in any way at all.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
I disagree with this.
I haven't seen any team we have played in the league able to nullify us.
Against Burnley for example, we utterly dominated them. Their GK played the game of his life - a one off performance. Same with Stoke. Against WHU, we beat WHU in every single stat. Against AFC, we beat them in every stat.
These teams are walking away with one point and counting themselves lucky...and so they should.
Our problem is poor finishing and the opposition GK putting in a MOTM performance; our tactics are fine.
I think Jose might agree with me. His tactics have to change if we are to succeed and he believes he is coming to terms with this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...-manager-jose-mourinho-insists-bringing-back/

prath92

Unfortunately I'm drawing more parallels to 13/14 and this season.

Won community shield. First few games giving us the odd sense of security before a city game brought us down. Then we had excellent cup results coupled with average to poor league results. Reaching the league cup semis. All of us clamouring for a former Dortmund player to start more games. Liverpool looking like they are the next best thing and even their average players looking like world beaters.

Of course we are playing better than at the time.

wolvored

He didn't block it at all. the board must have known he was going and they were signing Jose, so if Jose wanted him and they could have got him then it would have been done, the process took too long and Bayern went in and did the business.
Then why did Mourinho say he wanted him at the beginning of the season? Utd were working on the deal from around february and according to reports he was keen to come. VG didnt get sacked until May and Sanches agent said VG dithered too long allowing BM to jump in. I get it your a VG fanboy but dont make stuff up. He cocked up big style there, or he knew he was going and didnt want Utd to gain from the Sanches deal.

Last edited:

ti vu

LVG did. The board on gentleman term still needs the current manager's green light to go through with a transfer. This went back to dithering Moyes too.

Treble

Can't believe this ridiculous thread is still going.

Embarassing.
If United lose today and sink to 8th, it will go for months. Wins vs Everton and Spurs, and it will disappear till the next loss.

wolvored

Can't believe this ridiculous thread is still going.

Embarassing.
I asked for it to be shut in the first few posts, but still had to say my piece. I think all VG threads should be shut as he aint here anymore, and a lot of supporters are wum's

TheReligion

Abusive
I asked for it to be shut in the first few posts, but still had to say my piece. I think all VG threads should be shut as he aint here anymore, and a lot of supporters are wum's
You did the right thing asking for it to be closed.

I think you should ask again mate and get this locked down.

wolvored

You did the right thing asking for it to be closed.

I think you should ask again mate and get this locked down.
Thanks. Unfortunately I dont carry any weight around here so unless we did a petition of some sort it aint gonna happen

TheReligion

Abusive
Thanks. Unfortunately I dont carry any weight around here so unless we did a petition of some sort it aint gonna happen
Well you should carry more weight around here as you have your head screwed on and know your stuff.

The OP should be banned from creating threads IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.