Really - why did so many of you think Mourinho was better than LVG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I have no idea what point you're making. I only quoted you to correct your assertion that results were "far better" under Van Gaal. They weren't. If you take our results so far and assume we'll get the exact same results from now on until the end of the season then you'd have a point but that would be an absurd argument to make. So yeah, results weren't "far better" under Van Gaal. I'll leave you to wiffle on in peace now.
You can only judge what has happened so far. Hopefully we go on to have a great season. But so far our results have been worse given were more in a race for top 6 as opposed to the top 4. So indeed as of now we are worse off results wise. It can change quickly of course.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Nope. We'd lost 3 and drawn 4 at this point in LVG's first season. Hardly "far better". And a lot of points gained in that run were in matches where we'd been completely outplayed (often by bang average opposition) and we needed DDG miracles to bail us out. Surely you haven't forgotten that stuff already? 5 at the back? The humiliation by MK Dons? All in a season where we had no European distractions so fancied ourselves to have a real crack at the league.
Yep. LVG's first season as a whole, we won a ridiculous amount of games we didn't deserve to, and I don't think it was just down to "drilling out results"...on more than a couple of occasions it was just plain luck. Or there was that Liverpool game where Brad Jones kept giving our players open goals by not knowing how to stand in his goal...we were relying on stupidity like this from opponents rather than our own strengths.

Time will tell but I think if the performances are ok and it's silly little things that are costing us wins, then at least there is something to work with, and something to place trust in that we're making progress. That's what we have this season. Good performances being let down by a few fundamentals.

Under LVG, even when we were getting results, it was never convincing and it was never a surprise at all when it didn't last, and there was so much wrong with the performances and management you wouldn't know where to start. Even the basics like putting players in positions they actually know how to play in.

For me there's three problems under Jose at the moment:
- Nowhere near clinical enough in front of goal
- Lack of composure in defence
- Silly sitting back tactics when we are in control of games, despite the above problem making this a stupid idea.

The last of those is fully on Mourinho and he NEEDS to cut it out, now, because it's fecking dumb and it used to cost him time and again even when he was at Chelsea. Defending a decision to bring on a player because "he's tall" also makes him sound stupid, because it's a stupid thing to do.
The other two though are down to the players and are not flaws with the management or overall way the team performs. In fact if our finishing had been competent over the past month or so I'd be delighted with this season so far. I really want us to start putting the ball in the net when we should and getting results, because I want us to carry on playing the way we have been. Can't say that about anytime under Moyes or LVG...with them I watched games expecting us to be shite, due to the fact we nearly always were. There is nothing to build on from that.

NYAS

It seems you set your own instant gratification expectations and will now have to deal with the reality that success doesn't always happen immediately.
Not at all. I can deal with not getting success immediately. If you read the preceding argument I actually said I would be prepared to finish 17th and win the Europa League.

The point is that the stakes are higher this season than any other in recent memory. Not sure how you can deny that.

Why would I, as a player, agent, parent of a player, manager, coach or fan have confidence in an organization that has tried everything under the sun to succeed but simply can't?

Fergie didn't retire yesterday. It's been more than 3 years. Waiting for success is completely understandable. Writing off every single season as a transition is a bit of an extreme coping mechanism to run away from the reality.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not at all. I can deal with not getting success immediately. If you read the preceding argument I actually said I would be prepared to finish 17th and win the Europa League.

The point is that the stakes are higher this season than any other in recent memory. Not sure how you can deny that.

Why would I, as a player, agent, parent of a player, manager, coach or fan have confidence in an organization that has tried everything under the sun to succeed but simply can't?

Fergie didn't retire yesterday. It's been more than 3 years. Waiting for success is completely understandable. Writing off every single season as a transition is a bit of an extreme coping mechanism to run away from the reality.
They're no higher this year than in the preceding three years. To have the new manager rebuild the squad and set it up to make a serious push for major trophies over a longer term time horizon. I find that people run into all sorts of problems when they create this straw man that the sky is falling this year, as if these issues never existed prior to Mourinho taking the job.

NYAS

They're no higher this year than in the preceding three years. To have the new manager rebuild the squad and set it up to make a serious push for major trophies over a longer term time horizon. I find that people run into all sorts of problems when they create this straw man that the sky is falling this year, as if these issues never existed prior to Mourinho taking the job.
Yes, these issues existed before Mourinho took the job. That's exactly the problem. They existed for more than 3 years and we're seemingly no closer to solving those problems in terms of results. Like I said, unfortunately for him the pressure is higher this season than it is at any time under Moyes and Van Gaal simply because it's built up more. That's all I'm saying. Just because a new manager comes in doesn't mean the last few years of failure gets wiped away from the owners', executives', players' and sponsors' memories.

starman

That last sentence just shocks me. I can't absorb how on earth you feel that way. Literally the one thing this team has shown us is that it's completely fecking incapable of putting a couple of league wins together.

That's the only thing this team has proved to us, and they've done that in a quite admirable way.
Its December and nothing has been proven. Show a little patience. If we were needing to come back from behind then i would be more concerned.
But needing to see out the last few minutes of games is not a big issue that shouldn't be too difficult to resolve

NYAS

Its December and nothing has been proven. Show a little patience. If we were needing to come back from behind then i would be more concerned.
But needing to see out the last few minutes of games is not a big issue that shouldn't be too difficult to resolve
I hope you're right.

Moonwalker

I believe Mourinho can turn this around, but I base this on his previous achievements in conjunction with the absurdity of the "lost his mojo; football has moved on" type of piffle.

Nothing in the current (small) sample of evidence inspires any confidence though.

Status
Not open for further replies.