Reception for Di Maria at Old Trafford?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I hate him, a snake and all this but yeah he was 100% right in what he did yesterday after being booed and had a bottle thrown at him. Anyone else would have done the same and swore to those fans after hurting their team, it's easy to say he shouldn't have reacted when we're not in his position, but I bet anyone here would have done that or even more.

At the end of the day he lost nothing. He left the pitch a winner and had the last laugh on our fans while we're now on our way to get fined by UEFA thanks to the idiotic actions of the fans beside getting out of the competition anyway. This booing or shoulder challenge by Young are a basically a moral victory no one would even care about.
He shouted "feck off, puta" to a crowd of people only a few feet away (many of whom probably didn't boo all night) which could have incited crowd trouble. I have no idea how anyone could condone his response given its many possible outcomes.

Imagine if every player who got booed during a game of football reacted in a similar fashion. There would be riots.

Kopral Jono

Christ. The hostile reception was fine. It's like people have never been to football other than the family stand.

Throwing anything is not fine. Can anyone confirm if they sell those Heineken bottles at OT? I've never bought beer (or much at all) at OT. I'm guessing they're plastic if so, which is obviously slightly better than a glass bottle.
Absolutely and zero problem either with Di Maria giving it back to the home crowd. The moral police are out in full force with this one from both sides, football at the end of the day is often emotionally charged and it's fair game as long as there's no legitimate malice involved.

el3mel

He shouted "feck off, puta" to a crowd of people only a few feet away (many of whom probably didn't boo all night) which could have incited crowd trouble. I have no idea how anyone could condone his response given its many possible outcomes.

Imagine if every player who got booed during a game of football reacted in a similar fashion. There would be riots.
Almost anyone how got abused the entire game and then assist a winner will have a go at those who abused him, then will even have a more go after their reaction. We don't see many players getting as much abused to that degree so we don't see it often, but it's a normal human reaction and I'm sure anyone would have done and even more.

Again anyway, he didn't lose anything from yesterday's night. We're actually the ones who lost, lost the match and getting punished by UEFA, so yeah I'm on the camp of us being the wrong side yesterday.

The questions needed to be asked why that booing and abusing from the start. He was simply a nothing player in our history, one season and left outside England. He said some bad words about the club after leaving and wasn't a good character but he didn't end up hurting the club in a way that deserved this abuse and bottle thrown etc. This should be reserved to someone like Tevez for example.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The questions needed to be asked why that booing and abusing from the start.
They don't really though. Football is a pantomime. People are there to chant and shout and have a laugh as much as anything (not so much in England these days). Being mad sometimes is all part of the emotional aspect, and it's silly to suggest they shouldn't let it out on someone who was a bit of a dick with us. The players are there for the crowd's entertainment only. If it goes any further than that, then obviously it's not on.

Adebesi

Only one bottle was thrown (singular) by all accounts and the 'throwee' is likely to receive a lifetime ban from OT if/when caught.

Di Maria never wanted to be here. PSG was his primary choice of destination but he was unable to achieve that goal due to FFP restrictions. So he reluctantly joined United instead fully intent on angling for a move away at the first available opportunity.

He got rightfully booed last night because he treated our club with a distinct lack of respect. A mere stepping stone on to bigger and better things.
There's some facts in here interspersed with a considerable amount of inference and interpretation. PSG was his first choice, I think that is pretty much a fact, but we dont know he always intended to angle for a move away or considered United a stepping stone.

My belief - which is just as speculative as anything you said, I accept that - is that he came to United intending to make a go of it. And if we'd had a manager that had played him to his strengths he would have been happier and more motivated, and we'd have seen a better Di Maria.

Cloud7

Absolutely and zero problem either with Di Maria giving it back to the home crowd. The moral police are out in full force with this one from both sides, football at the end of the day is often emotionally charged and it's fair game as long as there's no legitimate malice involved.
This is what it boils down to really. I don’t understand why so many hate him, but if they do fair enough, go ahead and boo, you’re paying your money after all. On the other hand, there’s absolutely nothing wrong if the player gives it back to them either. You can’t shout abuse and boo a player all game long and then be upset if the player says something back to the crowd.

If this were us vs Arsenal and Sanchez scored and did something to rile up the Arsenal fans we would all be laughing and calling it brilliant. Similarly if Sterling scores on Pool after being booed all game like he always is, and he gives it back then most of the people in this thread would be chuffed that that happened.

Football fans are far too precious when it comes to this sort of thing. Don’t dish it out if you can’t take it.

Adebesi

This is what it boils down to really. I don’t understand why so many hate him, but if they do fair enough, go ahead and boo, you’re paying your money after all. On the other hand, there’s absolutely nothing wrong if the player gives it back to them either. You can’t shout abuse and boo a player all game long and then be upset if the player says something back to the crowd.

If this were us vs Arsenal and Sanchez scored and did something to rile up the Arsenal fans we would all be laughing and calling it brilliant. Similarly if Sterling scores on Pool after being booed all game like he always is, and he gives it back then most of the people in this thread would be chuffed that that happened.

Football fans are far too precious when it comes to this sort of thing. Don’t dish it out if you can’t take it.
Indeed. I remember Neville properly baiting Liverpool fans and he was lauded as a hero.

Member 115509

This. People who give players dog's abuse from the stands have no right to complain if player shouts something back/makes a gesture. Players should rise above this sort of thing, but they are human after all and calling a player all the names under the sun then being offended when he retorts is a bit childish. To say the least.
The morons who threw stuff at Di Maria are only bringing trouble to United's door and damaging the club's reputation. Not on.

el3mel

They don't really though. Football is a pantomime. People are there to chant and shout and have a laugh as much as anything (not so much in England these days). Being mad sometimes is all part of the emotional aspect, and it's silly to suggest they shouldn't let it out on someone who was a bit of a dick with us. The players are there for the crowd's entertainment only. If it goes any further than that, then obviously it's not on.
Well, if you're starting the booing you're simply asking for it, you're asking for the player to respond. You're bringing it to yourself. You can't complain about a player responding to him getting abused and booed. You started it, you get what you asked for. Di Maria would have been only on the wrong side if he went to the fans and swore to them without anyone booing him.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Almost anyone how got abused the entire game and then assist a winner will have a go at those who abused him, then will even have a more go after their reaction. We don't see many players getting as much abused to that degree so we don't see it often, but it's a normal human reaction and I'm sure anyone would have done and even more.

Again anyway, he didn't lose anything from yesterday's night. We're actually the ones who lost, lost the match and getting punished by UEFA, so yeah I'm on the camp of us being the wrong side yesterday.

The questions needed to be asked why that booing and abusing from the start. He was simply a nothing player in our history, one season and left outside England. He said some bad words about the club after leaving and wasn't a good character but he didn't end up hurting the club in a way that deserved this abuse and bottle thrown etc. This should be reserved to someone like Tevez for example.
I get where you're coming from. No player deserves to get booed over a simple game of football, they are human beings who deserve to be treated with respect... or maybe that's just how you see it. But there are a great many football fans, those with far more passion for the club than yourself (no offence intended), who see his attitude and treatment of the club as offensive and choose to respond by booing him every chance they get. Football fans, we're all different.

Personally, I thought his petulant response to the booing was dangerous and ill-advised. There is a very good reason most players choose to ignore the booing and it has nothing to do with their feelings.

There's some facts in here interspersed with a considerable amount of inference and interpretation. PSG was his first choice, I think that is pretty much a fact, but we dont know he always intended to angle for a move away or considered United a stepping stone.

My belief - which is just as speculative as anything you said, I accept that - is that he came to United intending to make a go of it. And if we'd had a manager that had played him to his strengths he would have been happier and more motivated, and we'd have seen a better Di Maria.
You make a very good point here and kind of leads on from the post above. The way we interpret certain events is more about our own character than anything factual. For example, I think ADM deserved the booing he received last night because he treated our club without respect. Not quite sure what that makes me though.

el3mel

I get where you're coming from. No player deserves to get booed over a simple game of football, they are human beings who deserve to be treated with respect... or maybe that's just how you see it. But there are a great many football fans, those with far more passion for the club than yourself (no offence intended), who see his attitude and treatment of the club as offensive and choose to respond by booing him every chance they get. Football fans, we're all different.

Personally, I thought his petulant response to the booing was dangerous and ill-advised. There is a very good reason most players choose to ignore the booing and it has nothing to do with their feelings.
No problem at all.

I just believe the action usually deserves more blame than the reaction. Who starts things first should be the one who got more blamed for the outcome. If Di Maria went to the fans and chat shite to them without them booing at him so they responded, he'll be the guilty, but if the fans started it and he responded by swearing, then the fans deserve more blame for the outcome.

It's how we look at things though, so matter of opinions.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don't care about him not being reprimanded. All fine and dandy acting like a big man when he was in the better team. We all saw this bereft of character prick perform pathetically and run away like a sissy the moment he was in a pickle here.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Well, if you're starting the booing you're simply asking for it, you're asking for the player to respond. You're bringing it to yourself. You can't complain about a player responding to him getting abused and booed. You started it, you get what you asked for. Di Maria would have been only on the wrong side if he went to the fans and swore to them without anyone booing him.
I agree. Don't mind him responding so much. Rooney did it, much to my amusement, against Everton. Again, it's all part of the fun.
Happy to think Di Maria is a bit of a dick, see him get booed, him respond, and still think he's a bit of a dick.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I thought it was pretty funny when he took a sip of the beer. I think he is a very good player and I still put most of the blame on LVG that it didn't work here. I have no issues with him and wish him luck.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don't really get why he was being booed. He signed for us then left because it didnt work out and the manager hated him. The only person he's moaned about since is Van Gaal, who most united fans have moaned about a lot more.

He's a bit of an idiot but so what? Thought the booing was a bit small time. Plus it was quite funny when he went to drink the beer.

Although I did also think it was funny when Young shoved him into the barrier.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I don't really get why he was being booed. He signed for us then left because it didnt work out and the manager hated him.
He is a player who belongs in a top top side. An elite level player. A Galactico, if you like.
When such a player leaves after 1 year, after being our highest assister, even though he played relatively few games, a lot of fans felt hurt and frustrated that we lost such a player.

Personally, I wanted him to fight for his place and had he waited another year, Jose would've arrived and put him into the first team immediately - no ifs or buts.
Had Di Maria stayed, would we have got Martial, though?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He is a player who belongs in a top top side. An elite level player. A Galactico, if you like.
When such a player leaves after 1 year, after being our highest assister, even though he played relatively few games, a lot of fans felt hurt and frustrated that we lost such a player.

Personally, I wanted him to fight for his place and had he waited another year, Jose would've arrived and put him into the first team immediately - no ifs or buts.
Why would you stay when the manager hates you? He had no way of knowing how long LVG would stay for and you suspect he would hardly have been made to feel welcome to stay, considering some of the stories about how LVG behaved towards players.

I don't think he played well for us but hardly a reason to hate him.

Moriarty

Remember the game at Turf Moor when Di Maria came off almost of his own volition. He jogged towards the bench and Van Gaal, with a puzzled look on his face, gesticulated with his palms up as if to say 'what the hell is he doing?' I thought it was quite amusing at the time but Van Gaal did have a variety of amusing facial expressions.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Why did he get booed anyways ? Didn’t do much at United and then left to PSG in a decent sum don’t see why United would care.

TsuWave

Booing him just felt dumb and needless for me.

Then he went on to bag two assists, mugged the people that booed him, and went home with an easy win

you want it to be one way, but it’s the other way

Skills

Snitch

Not asking much eh. Just waste another of his prime on the bench, behind Ashley Young playing for an awful manager & a club struggling to make it in the Champions League.

Imran Mamdani

This x 100000000000.

Cloud7

Correct me if I’m wrong, but weren’t there reports that Martial was more of a club signing than anything else? I’m sure I read that we had been following him for quite a while and were determined to get him.

I think Memphis was meant to be the Di Maria successor. We probably would have gotten Martial but not Memphis.