Reception for Di Maria at Old Trafford?

Negan

Player hurdles abuse back at a bunch of pie eating coin throwing tossers. Shock horror.

The reaction towards Di Maria was completely OTT and made us look bush-league. He moved on cause he fell out with the manager at the time. He didn’t say anything bad about the club and it’s not like he joined Liverpool or City. Booing a single player after they left your club 5 years ago is something Liverpool fans would do. We’re better than this.

If I was after winning the Champions League with Real Madrid and then I was getting dropped for Ashley Young 4 months later, I’d probably say “feck this, I’m out” aswell.

But apparently Young is a “legend” for pushing him through a board and Di Maria is a snake for wanting to actually win something. Okay. And people wonder why we keep handing out new contracts to mediocrity. It’s because fans like this have accepted and celebrated it.

Dave89

Player hurdles abuse back at a bunch of pie eating coin throwing tossers. Shock horror.

The reaction towards Di Maria was completely OTT and made us look bush-league. He moved on cause he fell out with the manager at the time. He didn’t say anything bad about the club and it’s not like he joined Liverpool or City. Booing a single player after they left your club 5 years ago is something Liverpool fans would do. We’re better than this.

If I was after winning the Champions League with Real Madrid and then I was getting dropped for Ashley Young 4 months later, I’d probably say “feck this, I’m out” aswell.

But apparently Young is a “legend” for pushing him through a board and Di Maria is a snake for wanting to actually win something. Okay. And people wonder why we keep handing out new contracts to mediocrity. It’s because fans like this have accepted and celebrated it.
Got any evidence of the disabled supporters or their carers doing that?

Edit, on the balance of probability I'll accept without further evidence that some of them ate pies.

Last edited:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I find booing pathetic and petty. I do not know how people can even be bothered to go to the effort of booing everytime a certain player gets the ball.

It doesn't even make sense with Di Maria as all he did was come here, perform poorly and leave. Has he even talked about us afterwards?
I found it stupid and embarassing. Unfortunately, he gave the perfect answer with 2 assists

witchtrials

I get civic pride and all that, but he's not from there and within months of moving there someone burgled his house.
I think for most people it's less about civic pride for the more affluent parts of Cheshire, and more about the sense that he came over here on a colossal wage and couldn't even be arsed to try. I reckon almost all have us have been burgled at some point or other, and probably a large percentage of us have caught people trying to break in. It can shake you up a bit for a few days, no question. But to be using as an pretext for half arsed performances six months later is fecking pathetic (especially when a few days of your wages would be enough to pay for year round security) and smacks of someone looking for excuses because they just didn't care enough to put in a bit of effort for the team.

Judas

Open to offers
Pretty sure most people with knowledge of the situation think the media and now fans have completely overblown the whole burglary aspect and its taken on a life of its own.

witchtrials

Pretty sure most people with knowledge of the situation think the media and now fans have completely overblown the whole burglary aspect and its taken on a life of its own.
Possibly. I remember having a sense at the time that it was people around him putting out the word that this failed burglary was an enduring trauma that was making performing on the pitch almost impossible but who knows whether that's accurate or not.

Adebesi

I was watching a film with my kids the other day about a restaurant in Paris where the cook is actually a rat. Can you believe that shit? If Neymar finds out about it he'll surely want out of that disgusting city. We should make it clear to him that Manchester is a city where all restaurants are staffed exclusively by humans.

RedDevil@84

Wasn't there another story about his kid having health problems and the Manchester cold not helping at all?

The Firestarter

Got any evidence of the disabled supporters or their carers doing that?

Edit, on the balance of probably I'll accept without further evidence that some of them ate pies.
Do you realize what kind of mare you are having in this thread? Ridiculous meltdown :lol:

witchtrials

Wasn't there another story about his kid having health problems and the Manchester cold not helping at all?
The average temperature difference between the two cities is about 2 degrees on average.

Whether the reports were accurate or not, it's this sort of impression of pathetic excuse making that turned fans against him, not just the fact that he performed poorly.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I draw the line at bottles being thrown as that's totally wrong but I don't think there was anything wrong with Di Maria's reaction, nor the fans giving him stick.

It's true that he was a yellow-bellied liver lilied chancer who never tried whilst here. One of the very few players who has ever done it to us; we're simply not used to it.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
The average temperature difference between the two cities is about 2 degrees on average.

Whether the reports were accurate or not, it's this sort of impression of pathetic excuse making that turned fans against him, not just the fact that he performed poorly.
If that's the case then these "fans" need to be embarrassed. Getting angry because a player doesn't want to play for your club :lol: how sad can that be.

witchtrials

If that's the case then these "fans" need to be embarrassed. Getting angry because a player doesn't want to play for your club :lol: how sad can that be.
Why do you keep putting fans in inverted commas? Disliking players who can't be bothered to make an effort is pretty universal among football fans (even more so when they're paid upward of £100,000 per week) so I don't see in what possible sense it makes you a "fan" rather than a fan.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
So you think he looked around the ground to see where the disabled fans,where so he could go over and abuse them ?

He yelled at the fans in front of him and had every right to giving the idiotic abuse he received

I'm totally on his side here our fans who booed him and threw a bottle at him are complete morons .

All it did was make him play better and ensure he had the last laugh.

We got exactly what we deserved
Hated his soft mentality when he was here, and how little he cared for the club. But I find it hard to disagree with the above post.

Red14Devil9

It was weird that Di Maria had such a hostile reception as he himself didn't do anything wrong. He might have become a top player for United if it weren't for Van Gaal and his strange tactics.

devil in me

If you walk around yelling f off at people without knowing who you're targeting, you need either help or consequences.
He was quite clearly targeting the collective of the United supporters, rather than any individual, and considering that collective had abused him all night, then fair enough. Much like when players cup their ear to the crowd or put there finger to their lips to tell them to be quiet. they arent targeting anyone specific.
I found his attitude when he was here to be a disgrace, but I cant see that he did anything wrong last night.

RedDevil@84

Hated his soft mentality when he was here, and how little he cared for the club
I find it hard to differentiate between "his care for the club" and "his care for the club that was planning to implement the LvG philosophy".
We all know LvG had crap tactics (got him fired) and also was very stubborn. A player who considered himself an elite player (CL performances and all) would never have wanted to spend his prime 2-3 years with a man who was completely opposite to the football he wanted to play.
I think the boos he got yesterday, leave alone bottles being thrown, was completely OTT. He hardly will be the first or last player who was at the club at the wrong time.

Himannv

Why? He was just....sold? Or am I missing something.
Went AWOL without any leave or notice for days without turning up for preseason. He wasn't just sold, he forced a move away from us.

He got himself taken off in the last game of the season and openly admitted he didn't want to come here anyway. I haven't seen too many players treat the club as though they would rather be elsewhere from the get go.

I agree that Van Gaal was a key factor in this, but there were much better ways to do things while he was here.

RedDevil@84

It was weird that Di Maria had such a hostile reception as he himself didn't do anything wrong. He might have become a top player for United if it weren't for Van Gaal and his strange tactics.
I think there are just two arguments here

- ADM was at the club at the wrong time when we had a wrong manager and hence took the easiest way out (force a move). In other words, LvG was the cause of all this.

- ADM is an a**hole who purposefully underplayed because he hated the club and he just came here to make some easy money before his favorite club PSG was in a position to take him in.

Depending on which argument you believe in, you would feel the reception was hostile or justified.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Christ. The hostile reception was fine. It's like people have never been to football other than the family stand.

Throwing anything is not fine. Can anyone confirm if they sell those Heineken bottles at OT? I've never bought beer (or much at all) at OT. I'm guessing they're plastic if so, which is obviously slightly better than a glass bottle.

witchtrials

I find it hard to differentiate between "his care for the club" and "his care for the club that was planning to implement the LvG philosophy". We all know LvG had crap tactics (got him fired) and also was very stubborn. A player who considered himself an elite player (CL performances and all) would never have wanted to spend his prime 2-3 years with a man who was completely opposite to the football he wanted to play.
Alternatively, he found himself at a team where he wasn't spending 90% of games steamrolling under-resourced patsy teams and decided to half-arse it until we were forced to sell him for a reduced fee to a back to the type of team where you only play a handful of genuinely competitive games a year.

devil in me

Christ. The hostile reception was fine. It's like people have never been to football other than the family stand.

Throwing anything is not fine. Can anyone confirm if they sell those Heineken bottles at OT? I've never bought beer (or much at all) at OT. I'm guessing they're plastic if so, which is obviously slightly better than a glass bottle.
Yep. The reception was fine, he acted like a twat when he was here and his attitude was shocking. No problem with him giving some back to the fans either. People love drama.

RedDevil@84

Alternatively, he found himself at a team where he wasn't spending 90% of games steamrolling under-resourced patsy teams and decided to half-arse it until we were forced to sell him for a reduced fee to a back to the type of team where you only play a handful of genuinely competitive games a year.
Maybe or may not be.
Most of our players (including Pogba) played like bunch of half-arsed idiots under Mourinho earlier this season. And the agreed narrative is the reason was because we had an absolute cnut in Mourinho who was at the helm. And that somehow justifies the performances.
So I guess players do play half-arsed way because they don't like the manager or his tactics.

ZupZup

Yep they sell them and they are plastic... still, shouldn't have thrown anything. There were some coins also.

I was very near that corner of the ground and things got a bit nasty after the first goal went in and a handful of PSG fans in the United end outed themselves nearby and started celebrating. Lots of angry United fans reacting and shouting at the stewards to throw them out... lucky a fight didn't break out really. Minutes later Di Maria comes over to take a corner and fans start throwing stuff. Not good.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
You should be able to handle some booing without melting down. When they start to throw bottles though.. that changes things. Do people understand that it can be really dangerous? Idiots.

I don't even understand why so many actually booed him. He didn't find his place here, and he is hardly the first.. nor will he be the last. Never did he say anything bad about the club or us fans. O'well, i just want to forget this match just as i had forgotten about di Maria.

Loon

:lol:
Maybe we should have booed the cnut when he played for us. Might have delivered some performances.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
You have to understand the OT fans as they're not used to players that can actually cross the ball.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yep they sell them and they are plastic... still, shouldn't have thrown anything. There were some coins also.

I was very near that corner of the ground and things got a bit nasty after the first goal went in and a handful of PSG fans in the United end outed themselves nearby and started celebrating. Lots of angry United fans reacting and shouting at the stewards to throw them out... lucky a fight didn't break out really. Minutes later Di Maria comes over to take a corner and fans start throwing stuff. Not good.
Sounds intense. Whoever throws anything should be banned for life. Glad the PSG fans got shit for celebrating though. You don't do that. Obviously don't want them to get hurt, but abuse is fair game, seeing as they're being cnuts.

witchtrials

Maybe or may not be.
Most of our players (including Pogba) played like bunch of half-arsed idiots under Mourinho earlier this season. And the agreed narrative is the reason was because we had an absolute cnut in Mourinho who was at the helm. And that somehow justifies the performances.
So I guess players do play half-arsed way because they don't like the manager or his tactics.
Not sure I can go along with much of that. Surely anyone who has been watching us would accept that Pogba is a prime example of a player whose performances have been transformed not with smiles, but by giving him a different role in the team that is more suited to his abilities. Under Mourinho our players under-performed and were demoralised pretty much across the board. Under van Gaal performances were pretty poor across the team (with the exception of one or two like Martial) but di Maria distinguished himself not through lack of quality performances but with apparent lack of effort.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You should be able to handle some booing without melting down. When they start to throw bottles though.. that changes things. Do people understand that it can be really dangerous? Idiots.

I don't even understand why so many actually booed him. He didn't find his place here, and he is hardly the first.. nor will he be the last. Never did he say anything bad about the club or us fans. O'well, i just want to forget this match just as i had forgotten about di Maria.
Only one bottle was thrown (singular) by all accounts and the 'throwee' is likely to receive a lifetime ban from OT if/when caught.

Di Maria never wanted to be here. PSG was his primary choice of destination but he was unable to achieve that goal due to FFP restrictions. So he reluctantly joined United instead fully intent on angling for a move away at the first available opportunity.

He got rightfully booed last night because he treated our club with a distinct lack of respect. A mere stepping stone on to bigger and better things.

el3mel

I hate him, a snake and all this but yeah he was 100% right in what he did yesterday after being booed and had a bottle thrown at him. Anyone else would have done the same and swore to those fans after hurting their team, it's easy to say he shouldn't have reacted when we're not in his position, but I bet anyone here would have done that or even more.

At the end of the day he lost nothing. He left the pitch a winner and had the last laugh on our fans while we're now on our way to get fined by UEFA thanks to the idiotic actions of the fans beside getting out of the competition anyway. This booing or shoulder challenge by Young are a basically a moral victory no one would even care about.