Music Red Hot Chili Peppers - Unlimited Love (New album out now!)

Dolf

I'm a huge fan of the RHCP and they just released their latest album "Unlimited Love".

I absolutely love it and so do the critics. Might be their best album in 20 years time. The return of John Frusciante has given them their spark back. What you think?

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I'm a huge fan of the RHCP and they just released their latest album "Unlimited Love".

I absolutely love it and so do the critics. Might be their best album in 20 years time. The return of John Frusciante has given them their spark back. What you think?

Will check it out later.
A work contact says they have 2 tickets for me for their LA concert in July. Looking forward to that as Ive not seen them live before.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Will check it out later.
A work contact says they have 2 tickets for me for their LA concert in July. Looking forward to that as Ive not seen them live before.
I though they had cancelled all future concerts?

Dolf

Will check it out later.
Dude you should totally go! I got tickets for June 10th in Nijmegen!

I though they had cancelled all future concerts?
Where did you read that? They are doing the "Unlimited Love' tour starting this spring/summer.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Meh, Chilis by numbers, average at best.

Most reviews I have seen have said the same also.

But then I haven't liked anything they have released since One Hot Minute!

Hughes35

About half way through and actually a bit disappointed. Been looking forward to this for ages.

So far I like "Black Summer" (Heard before) and "It's only Natural" but not too keen on the others...... Hopefully the second half has some belters.

Carolina Red

Staff

Bosws87

Give it a listen soon, going to see them in manchester can't wait.

Withnail

Me too. That's the last album of theirs I had and I bought that one. I saw them live for that tour but it wasn't great. I think they were back on the smack at the time. If it's more of the same chili peppers lite they've been churning out I'll give it a miss.

Dolf

Really? Then maybe they just aren't for you because Californication, BTW and Stadium Arcadium are some of their best albums. Although I also really love BSSM and Mothers Milk. You probably like their 'rock' side more then their 'funky' side based on your album preference :-)

It's good so far, I'd say standard enough Chilis. Safe but enjoyable.

Also did Anthony Kietis feck this guy's wife? https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...ited-love-formulaic-bland-appalling-1.4838008
:lol::lol: What the hell is that? Surely he's not getting paid to write that sh!te?

Dolf

Your man is dead right. It's bloody awful but they've been a shadow of their former selves for a very long time now.
The review is terrible though. He might not like it but he doesn't back it up at all. Saying the lyrics are aren't 'profound' says it all, he doesn't have a clue who the RHCP are because Anthony's lyrics have never made any sense, and that's kind of their style.

Withnail

The review is terrible though. He might not like it but he doesn't back it up at all. Saying the lyrics are aren't 'profound' says it all, he doesn't have a clue who the RHCP are because Anthony's lyrics have never made any sense, and that's kind of their style.
Well, he actually said they were mediocre and made Bono's poem look profound which isn't the same thing at all. He said it was formulaic and bland which it is. Why would he need to back that up?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Really? Then maybe they just aren't for you because Californication, BTW and Stadium Arcadium are some of their best albums. Although I also really love BSSM and Mothers Milk. You probably like their 'rock' side more then their 'funky' side based on your album preference :-)

:lol::lol: What the hell is that? Surely he's not getting paid to write that sh!te?
I liked their druggy period. :lol:

I also found Frusciante's influence has tended to 'soften' their sound and make it less cutting, which is ironic considering his drug issues.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Your man is dead right. It's bloody awful but they've been a shadow of their former selves for a very long time now.
he comes across as a smug prick who hates them and just wanted to rant about them, which begs the question - why is someone like that reviewing their album?

Carolina Red

Staff
Californication, BTW and Stadium Arcadium
That's the era that introduced me to them. To me, that is the RHCP sound, as I was too young to get into the earlier stuff before I heard their funky side.

Just finished listening to Unlimited Love after seeing your post. Really enjoyed it as it definitely did seem to get back to that early 2000s vibe.

Chip

I was/am a fan of their 90's stuff, but not much of their 00's+ music, although I haven't listened much to it.

So far I'm positively surprised by this album, although it feels like I've heard half of the tunes before.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Basically the exact same thing as U2. Some promising early albums followed by some genuinely excellent albums and then a load of landfill rock by numbers with no soul. the same hit single over and over, backing up the dump trucks to collect the money.

Withnail

he comes across as a smug prick who hates them and just wanted to rant about them, which begs the question - why is someone like that reviewing their album?
Well I don't know about you but I generally don't read music reviews anymore as they're generally written by smug pricks who make up their own nonsensical language to describe the indescribable.

EDIT: I'll bow out of the thread now anyway. I don't want to be pissing on anyone's chips.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think they’ve definitely peaked. I’ve not been interested in anything they’ve done post Stadium Arcadium and even that was a slog at times. Cracking early albums though.

Carolina Red

Staff
I think they’ve definitely peaked. I’ve not been interested in anything they’ve done post Stadium Arcadium and even that was a slog at times. Cracking early albums though.
To be fair... Anthony Kiedis and Flea are coming up on 60 this year.

Acole9

Outstanding

Interesting that. Most people would say that's their worst album and I'd probably agree with that.

Irwin99

Californication and John Frusciante's solo albums have had a huge influence on my life so you'd think i'd be excited by this but eh, for some reason i'm not. Frusciante's talent is just beyond ridiculous in my opinion but I haven't enjoyed his movement into electronic music. I wonder at his mindset to be honest as he's always been uncomfortable with the more mainstream success the Chili peppers have had and more inclined to make his bizarre solo stuff.

Dolf

That's the era that introduced me to them. To me, that is the RHCP sound, as I was too young to get into the earlier stuff before I heard their funky side.

Just finished listening to Unlimited Love after seeing your post. Really enjoyed it as it definitely did seem to get back to that early 2000s vibe.
Yeah exactly and that's why it's so well received by most fans. Sure, there are no big hits like Scar Tissue or Under The Bridge on the new album but the whole album feels more like their sound than The Getaway or IWY did.

John_Jensen

Everything from Californication on has been nigh on unlistenable, sounds like this is more of the same shite.

Carolina Red

Staff
Everything from Californication on has been nigh on unlistenable, sounds like this is more of the same shite.
To each their own, but I don't see how someone can like Californication and not like BTW or Stadium Arcadium.
Yeah exactly and that's why it's so well received by most fans. Sure, there are no big hits like Scar Tissue or Under The Bridge on the new album but the whole album feels more like their sound than The Getaway or IWY did.
Agreed completely. No song on there popped out to me as "oh this is gonna be a hit!" but the overall feel of the album is a definite throwback.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
All this love for californication, for me blood sugar sex magic is by far their best album. It’s probably my favourite album ever.

fergieisold

Just listened to it while doing some housework. Some songs sounded great. The album as a whole didn’t grab me but usually that means nothing - often I’ll end up absolutely loving an album that doesn’t take me first time.

also I started playing guitar because of frusciante so…anything he does is fine by me:lol:

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
By the Way is one of my favorite albums of all time. I haven't listened to anything they've done since then.

If there's a chance this is similar to that or Californication I'll be all over it

arthurka

All this love for californication, for me blood sugar sex magic is by far their best album. It’s probably my favourite album ever.
It's by far their best album nothing comes close. This new one is like a flat pint it's not good but well it's still beer so you finish it even though it isn't a pint it's a gallon, this album is too long and has far too many songs.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Blood Sugar Sex Magic, One Hot Minute, Californication and By the Way was an incredible run. The peak was Californication for me.

Never really got into Stadium Arcadium (although it did have a couple of bangers). Will give this a listen though.