Redcafe Champions League Draft Semi Final - Theon v EDogen

Who will win based on players in their prime, team tactics, balance & bench strength?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
FORMATION

A balanced and natural diamond formation, filled with complimentary partnerships and players with proven records of thriving in a similar set up – particularly the Italian midfield, the Roma wingback partnership of Candela/Cafu and the proven partnership of Xavi/Iniesta

Tactically the diamond can be difficult to pull off and in particular you need three things -

1) Central midfielders who are comfortable pressing into wider areas to win possession
I previously used Gattuso and De Rossi in this role who are absolutely perfect, as they have thrived in similar systems. Gattuso in particular remains the greatest and most ruthless ballwinner I have ever seen, which is exactly what the diamond requires.

Whilst De Rossi is better defensively than Xavi the latter is picked for these reasons

a) EDogen will most likely play a centre back at right back (Ciro Ferrara) - His lack of attacking contribution and defensive instincts means that De Rossi’s superior defence is not needed to close down the right flank

b) Xavi is still an exceptional presser of the ball - Barcelona employed the best pressing system of the last decade and Xavi was a huge part of that

c) It replicates the AC Milan Gattuso-Pirlo-Seedorf midfield which dominated Europe

d) Xavi's far superior footballing ability

2) Wingbacks who get forward
Cafu and Candela are the perfect wingback partnership to stretch the pitch and offer a threat out wide. They played together for that outstanding title-winning Roma side which played without wingers - a proven record demonstrating their suitability for the role.

Cafu is the greatest attacking fullback of all time and has provided width in various narrow setups. Roma won Serie A, Milan won the Champions League and Brazil won the World Cup playing wingerless formations with Cafu providing the width. Resorting to the lack of width argument is exceptionally desperate.

A young Cafu against Argentina when still playing in Brazil

3) A deeper striker pulling wide and running the channels
Shevchenko played this exact role for AC Milan - winning the Ballon d’Or in 2004 and coming in the Top Three on three occassions. Milan lined up in this exact diamond formation with Shevchenko and they went on to dominate Europe.

Sheva possesses exceptional movement, stamina, dribbling and finishing ability, and will be drifting all across the front line to exploit any gaps. He became the greatest striker in the world playing in a diamond fomation - a proven record you cannot ignore

HOW THE GAME IS WON

Iniesta unmarked getting behind Simeone
Iniesta will drift across the pitch into space whilst Pirlo fizzes the ball into his feet, allowing him to turn and cause chaos with his boundless creativity and unmatched dribbling ability.

If Simeone tries to man mark him this cedes the game to Pirlo/Gattuso/Xavi

The free role of Iniesta makes the most of his exceptional dribbling skills

Complete dominance of possession
Pirlo, Xavi and Iniesta are arguably the three best possession footballers of all time.

Pirlo – Will sit just behind the two CM’s and utilise his fantastic passing ability to feed balls down the flanks to Cafu and Candela, or through the midfield to Iniesta, Shevchenko and Ronaldo

Dominance of possession is guaranteed and Pirlo's passing will provide continuous openings for the attackers to exploit.

Xavi – His passing range is typically shorter than Pirlo’s and his role is focused around completely controlling the game and linking up with Iniesta, as well as pressing when required.

Footage of some Xavi assists which Ronaldo and Shevchenko will thrive off

Exploit Hierro’s lack of pace
Hierro was a great technical footballer but his huge weakness as a defender was his lack of pace, and he is up against two of the fastest strikers in the draft.

Ronaldo especially was on another level – he was absolutely lightning and could dribble the ball at exceptional speeds. If EDogen tries to press my midfield and win the ball Hierro has no chance of keeping up with any through balls from midfield

Maldini vs Van Persie
Dictating the defence is Paulo Maldini quite possibly the greatest defender of all time - captain of the Italian national team and leader of Milan’s defence for over 20 years in which he incredibly won the Champions League a record five times.

The competition at this level is fierce and as much as I love RVP - he isn’t in the same class as Ronaldo or Shevchenko at the other end of the pitch.

Ronaldo - "I always found it very difficult when I came up against Paolo Maldini. He was the best defender I faced over the course of my career. He definitely deserved to win the award [FIFA World Player of The Year] several times over."

Sir Alex Ferguson - "When I think of the current generation, without a doubt Paolo Maldini has been my favourite."

Del Piero - "There are great players and there are world class players. Then there are those who manage to go beyond that term. Paolo is the perfect example."

Paul Merson - "The best player I ever played against was Paolo Maldini. We [Arsenal] played against Milan in the European Supercup [in 1995]. Maldini marked me and I didn’t even get a kick of the ball all game. He was just unbelievable."

Ronaldo
The best player on the pitch - Ronaldo 1996-1998 reached a level of brilliance that is only rivalled by Messi, Maradonna and Pele.

If it weren’t for the injuries at Inter Milan Ronaldo would quite possibly be regarded as the greatest footballer of all time.

This video is a must watch for anyone who missed Ronaldo at the peak of his powers

1996 season – all 47 goals in 49 games

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
PLAYER PROFILES

Manuel Neuer
The best goalkeeper in the world and former Footballer of the Year in Germany. Put in a flawless performance against Dortmund in the Champions League Final and with his huge 6 ft 4 frame is the perfect foil against Drogba.

Cafu
Without a doubt the best attacking fullback in the draft and arguably of all time. Winning domestic and Continental titles as well as two World Cup’s with Brazil establish Cafu as a true icon of the modern era. Blessed with limitless stamina he will get up and down the right flank the entire game.

Maldini
The consensus best defender of the last two decades.

Maldini was consistently brilliant for over 20 years captaining AC Milan to unprecedented success and winning a record five Champions League titles. For a nation that has seen Baresi, Scirea and Facchetti wear the Azzurri shirt it says it all that Maldini is regarded just as highly as any of them.

Thiago Silva
Currently the best defender in the world and captain of the Brazil team. Thiago possesses an abundance of pace which is vital against EDogen who will be heavily reliant on the counter.

Candela
Cafu’s wingback partner at Roma, Candela has terrific stamina, pace and dribbling ability. He performed best when asked to cover the entire left side of the pitch which allowed him to fully utilise his attacking instincts. Along with Cafu Candela was an instrumental reason for Roma winning Serie A in 2000/01.

Also capable of scoring goals like this.

Pirlo
The greatest deeplying playmaker of all time, Pirlo will control the game with his exquisite vision and passing. Also one of the most deadly free kicks takers in the world.

Gattuso
Without a doubt the best tackling midfielder that I have seen, his ball winning is simply unmatched. The fire and mentality of Gattuso combined with his limitless stamina are the perfect compliment to the artistry of Andrea Pirlo.

In linking up with Pirlo Gattuso is forming a midfield partnership that has won countless titles domestically and in Europe with Milan, as well as the 2006 World Cup with Italy.

Xavi - The best midfielder of his generation and greatest playmaker of all time

The possession football between Pirlo and Xavi will be out of this world, and with Iniesta playing just ahead the two Spaniards provide the most proven partnership of the last twenty years.

Iniesta
Technically flawless and unquestionably the best attacking midfielder since Zidane. Iniesta is a big game player, putting in a MOTM performance in both the 2010 World Cup Final and the Euro 2012 Final, as well as being named Player of the Tournament.

Shevchenko
Voted the best player in Europe when playing for Milan, he is undoubtedly one of the greatest strikers of the Champions League era. Playing in his natural role in a formation he is familiar with he is a huge threat.

Ronaldo
The best player on the pitch, his peak in 1996-1998 is absolutely unmatched. Explosive pace, power, balance, technique and extraordinary dribbling ability

Subs

Miguel Nadal - The Beast of Barcelona
The heart of Barcelona’s defence and captain of Spain, Nadal was a natural leader with immense physicality. Also a capable ballplayer he could slot into midfield for both Spain and Barcelona.

De Rossi
An absolute colossus of a midfielder with one of the most all rounded games of the decade. Physically imposing with the mentality for a war, De Rossi also possesses sublime passing ability as seen in this MOTM performance against Spain – proving De Rossi can dominate the worlds greatest sides.

Crespo
Perennially at risk of being underrated due to his Chelsea and Milan stints, injuries stalled Crespo’s career and prevented him maintaining his four years of form at Parma and Lazio which made him one of the deadliest strikers of the last 20 years. Great in the air, exceptional movement and ruthless finishing – he was phenomenal at his best.

Sergio Aguero
Excellent at running the channels and peeling out wide, Aguero is capable of coming on later on in the match to exploit a slow backline with his explosive pace and movement

Kluivert
Despite an impressive career, numerous titles and the status of Holland’s all time top scorer (ahead of Van Basten, Ruud, Bergkamp and Van Persie) Kluivert’s natural ability could have made him become one of the all time greats.

Team Theon​

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Vs​
Team EDogen​

EDogen Tactics (4-2-3-1)

In goal I have Buffon, just the perfect keeper. I would not trade him for anyone.

My central defenders are Nesta and Hierro who will form a great partnership, complementing each other well. In my opinion the best pairing in the draft.

My full backs are different from each other. I wanted an attacking full back to link up with Giggs on the left side and that job Evra is perfect for since they know each other well. On the right side I placed Ferrara to cover for Robben who will help out less than Giggs will. Ferrara also capable of tucking into the middle when needed.

My central midfielders are Roy Keane and Luis Enrique who will form a fantastic two man midfield. They just have everything between them to make life hard for the opponents. It will feel like playing against three midfielders even though they are only two.

I mentioned my wingers, Giggs and Robben, two great attacking threats. Giggs on the left and Robben on the right. They will run at their full backs all game long.

My attacking midfielder who will link my midfield to the attack, I give you Zidane, the perfect playmaker for every team. The living legend and one of the best players ever.

To finish of my team as the striker to lead my team in goalscoring and link up play I have Robin van Persie. We all have seen what he can do and he will get his chances in this team. Also a good fit among the other players.

Defence: A rock solid back four in Evra – Nesta – Hierro – Ferrara with Buffon as my anchor. Ferrara will help out in the middle the times when Candela is staying home and therefore I will get even stronger in handling the attack with Hierro able to shield the area between midfield and the backline. They will also have a great shield from Keane and Luis Enrique to help them out against central threats. Giggs who during his peak always was helping out his defender will help out Evra or make up numbers in midfield when needed as always.

Attack: My game will start from the back with all my defenders good ball players. In central midfield I want Luis Enrique or Zidane on the ball. Enrique to build up play and Zidane to make some magic. Evra will be a constant threat down the left side with Giggs and they will form a great partnership. Luis Enrique will join the attack when the time is right and will be a big goal threat with this. In Giggs and Robben I have two great threats who will give my team some width. Giggs with his fantastic delivery and understanding of the game. Robben with his x-factor who can make some magic on his own, something that every team needs. Finally Robin van Persie will finish the chances off, he will also be a good link and create some sexy plays with my midfield players.

Finally I believe in my team since:

• Giggs and Robben are the major wingplayers in this game, I see my wingers causing the full backs problems and also stretching out his midfielders to work out wide, leaving my central midfielde to take control in the middle.
  • My defensive core of Buffon – Nesta – Hierro – Keane – Luis Enrique, nothing is missing in there.
  • Zinedine Zidane, if you look at the players on the pitch. Zidane stands out the most.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Player profiles

Gianluigi Buffon
Juventus and Italy legend, one of best keepers of all time. You really have to do something special to beat this man. Needs no further introduction, just world class.

Patrice Evra
Our own Paddy! He was the best left back in the world for a couple of years, Evra at his best could run the left side all by himself and did just that for a couple of seasons. Never injured and a major part of one of the greatest eras of Manchester United.

Alessandro Nesta
World Cup, Champions League and Serie A winner and also the best centre half of his generation with, one of the best readers of the game that has ever been seen. The timing of his tackling in his prime was a joy to watch. In my opinion the best central defender in this draft.

Ciro Ferrara
Started his career in Napoli and was an important part of a great team playing as a right back before switching to centre back and becoming even greater in that position. Later a leader for the dominant Juventus team in the mid 90s, and the ever-strong Italian national team. Like many other defenders from Italy he is one of the all-time greats. Seven times Serie A winner and also winner of the Champions League. Elegant defender who you always can rely on.

Fernando Hierro
Real Madrid legend that could play both as a central defender and as defensive midfielder at the highest level. Outstanding range of passing and an inspirational leader for club and country. Over 500 games for Madrid with multiple Champions League and La Liga wins. Spain´s finest defender of the modern era. Scored 21 league goals in on season when playing in midfield.

Luis Enrique
The man who could play every position, well almost everywhere. A true leader with a work rate like few other players. Great technique and pace to beat his opponent and also a good passer of the ball, this together with being a real goal threat made him one of the best box-to-box midfielders in the 90s. Also good as attacking midfielder, winger or right back. Big game player and Barcelona legend. 109 goals in 300 appearances for Barca.

Roy Keane
Captain Keane! With Roy in midfield the opposition will never have an easy game. World class. We all know him so well. :keano:

Zinedine Zidane
Out of this world, what a player Mr Zidane was. One of the best talents the world has ever seen. Serie A, La Liga, Champions League, European Championship and World Cup winner. Magical to watch and a player you would want in every team. Big game player.

Ryan Giggs
Manchester United legend and all time great, one of the best left wingers the world has ever seen. Great dribbling, wonderful balance and pace to beat his defender. Great vision of the game and with that also very good delivery. Also has one of the best first touches in the game.

Arjen Robben
One of the best wingers of the last 5 years in world football. Pace, dribbling and a left foot to score wonder goals over and over again. Fantastic in one-on-one situations and brings a real x-factor to any team. A part of both a successful Bayern Munich team and also an important figure in the national team. He has this ability to turn a game in the blink of an eye. 68 goals in 121 games for Bayern. Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga and Champions League winner.

Robin van Persie
The best striker of the last three years in the game in my opinion. A goal scoring machine with a left foot out of this world. Good movement with the ball and finding the right spaces as well. Technique, vision and a great understanding of the game. Brilliant touch and a joy to watch.

Subs:
Robert Pires
Diego Simeone
Deco
Rustu Recber
Bacary Sagna

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Hopefully that Ronaldo video gets rid of the 'fat Ronaldo' image he's started to get!

His fitness went to cock at the end of his career, but at his peak he was absolutely electric - especially with the ball. I don't think I've ever seen someone dribble the ball so quickly, including Messi.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Right I'm off now EDogen, good luck mate :)

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Its getting ridiculously tough to choose a winner now. I read Theon's write up and had virtually decided I was voting for him...until I read EDogen's! Will have a think about this and see how the debate pans out.

NM

yeah.. I saw the thread and thoguh Theon wins.. But EDogen has such a good team too. feck!

EDogen

A few points I would like to highlight.

• Sure, Theon got plenty of people in the middle but Giggs and Robben are the major wingplayers in this game, They will be stretching out his midfielders to work out wide, leaving Keane and Enrique to take control in the middle.
  • My defensive core of Buffon – Nesta – Hierro – Keane – Luis Enrique, nothing is missing in there. Also with Ferrara capable of helping out in the middle when Candela is home.
  • Zinedine Zidane, when Giggs has pulled Gattuso out wide Zidane will have a show in the middle.
  • Giggs and Robben offers something that team Theon is missing, wingers who will attack the full backs all game long. And with Enrique running into the box with the delivery from out wide, this is a real weapon for me.
  • Pirlo, Xavi, Iniesta. Maybe one to much. Both Pirlo and Xavi will want the ball in the build up and this makes the duo less effective.
So as you all can see Giggs and Robben are vital for me in this game, both with their wingplay creating chances and also making Theons midfielders work out wide letting Keane and Luis Enrique control the middle with their enormous presence.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
Not voting yet but Theon, van Persie not in the same class as Shevchenko?

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
34 goals was the most Shevchenko ever got in a season. Van Persie got 37 in his last season with Arsenal. The rules of the game state to judge players at their peak.

Moby

Dick
Edogen sorry mate but I think Theon's got this one. He has some great partnerships in there which seem to stand out in Pirlo-Gattuso, Xavi-Iniesta and Ronaldo - Sheva. I like your team a lot but I think Maldini would have a comfortable game against Van Persie and one of your strongest weapons in Giggs is facing a tough task against Cafu. Zidane's influence could also be curbed as the other team looks immense in the middle and looks like they'll be having a large amount of possession with Enrique and Keano doing a lot of the chasing. Ronaldo has a history of doing well against Nesta as well.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Shevchenko was a great striker at his peak more versatile than Ruud, but a less naturally prolific striker. Henry may have been a shade better than him and for me only Ronaldo was better than Henry in that era. I think he is a better player than Van Persie and he's also more proven on the European stage, if we are talking Ballon d'or Shevchenko in behind Ronaldo that is an immense link-up that year he was scoring from all over.

p.s Ed Ronaldo AND Zidane both stand out from the rest. Theon has that team of big names I would be tempted to drop Pirlo and use De Rossi if this was a real match but Pirlo is a vote getter. I like Ed's team but when was Robben's peak when was Gigg's peak?? Cafu will keep Giggs and Evra honest while Iniesta and Candela (worst player on the pitch) attack Ferrara. Just the inclusion of Candela makes me want to give it to Ed immediately but I will wait.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Theon, you are playing with three non-winners. Has the rule been changed then or did you offer EDogen the chance to do the same? Good sport if so.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Theon, you are playing with three non-winners. Has the rule been changed then or did you offer EDogen the chance to do the same? Good sport if so.
Yeah mate same with EDogen, just RVP, Buffon and Enrique in his team

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I'm absolutely shocked how Candela is being rated, he was a great player and he's being treated as if he was shit - absolutely bizzare.

antohan

You really have given EDogen a lifeline with that. Kudos for that.

I have the distinct feeling both Xavi and Pirlo is overkill though. One of them has to go IMO. Someone has suggested De Rossi for Pirlo but it would be Xavi off in my book affording Candela greater protection. I don't underrate Candela but he is up against it if you want him to close down a flank with Robben and Luis Enrique surging forward while also providing attacking width. I can't for the life of me see him doing both.

You have a cracking team with great partnerships which I know would work splendidly bar that issue. On the other hand, Edogen looks more like a collection of individuals, but outstanding ones and set to play in a way that could really frustrate and get the better of you.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
  • Pirlo, Xavi, Iniesta. Maybe one to much.

i did think that as soon as i saw the team - not sure how they would all work together.
Man for man Theon's team looks better but EDogen seems to have better balance

antohan

Come the final, do the teams revert back to 4 non-CL against Gio/Fergus? This is exactly the scenario I told you off for. Toldo for Neuer instead of Xavi and you would have been able to pick up Nesta here. Maldini-Nesta would be absolutely fecking ridiculous, particularly in this improved classic Milan side.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
You really have given EDogen a lifeline with that. Kudos for that.

I have the distinct feeling both Xavi and Pirlo is overkill though. One of them has to go IMO. Someone has suggested De Rossi for Pirlo but it would be Xavi off in my book affording Candela greater protection. I don't underrate Candela but he is up against it if you want him to close down a flank with Robben and Luis Enrique surging forward while also providing attacking width. I can't for the life of me see him doing both.

You have a cracking team with great partnerships which I know would work splendidly bar that issue. On the other hand, Edogen looks more like a collection of individuals, but outstanding ones and set to play in a way that could really frustrate and get the better of you.
It's only Ferrara though mate, not Enrique - that was the main reason I went with Xavi in the end.

If it was Robben/Enrique then you would get a lot of 2 vs 1 etc, but Ferrara is a centre back and isn't offering much going forward.

I fancy the team to manage Robben fairly comfortably, seeing as what Robben always does is cut inside onto his left foot - which puts him face to face with Paulo Maldini.

antohan

i did think that as soon as i saw the team - not sure how they would all work together.
Man for man Theon's team looks better but EDogen seems to have better balance
Theon got too excited about the vote potential of Xavi-Iniesta when it doesn't in the least bit suit his Gattuso-Pirlo pair and the diamond formation.

NM

I might sit this out. Leaning towads Theon, but this is tight!

antohan

It's only Ferrara though mate, not Enrique - that was the main reason I went with Xavi in the end.

If it was Robben/Enrique then you would get a lot of 2 vs 1 etc, but Ferrara is a centre back and isn't offering much going forward.
Enrique will tear into your left flank, make no mistake about it. The attacking side of his game was the strongest and he makes an ideal selfless foil for Robben. You are too focused on looking at the fullback-winger pair there.

I fancy the team to manage Robben fairly comfortably, seeing as what Robben always does is cut inside onto his left foot - which puts him face to face with Paulo Maldini.
Paolo!!!! I know, which is where Luis Enrique is a worry, precisely. Which one does Maldini pick up? I wouldn't say that flank is horrendously exposed, but De Rossi there would fill me with confidence it's rock solid.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Come the final, do the teams revert back to 4 non-CL against Gio/Fergus? This is exactly the scenario I told you off for. Toldo for Neuer instead of Xavi and you would have been able to pick up Nesta here. Maldini-Nesta would be absolutely fecking ridiculous, particularly in this improved classic Milan side.
Probably the fairest way.

I think Luis Enrique on the right side of the pitch will definitely give Candela and Xavi problems when he and Robben link up. I wouldn't have picked Xavi either like Anto said, what made the diamond so great has been lost IMO.

Not sure if Van Persie will give Maldini enough problems, whilst Sheva and Ronaldo is a handful for anyone.

NM

To be honest.. A sheva and Ronaldo combination will score. They are too good not to, especially with the service. On the other end, I don't see RVP getting much change, but I certainly can see Zidane and Robben getting some..

Moby

Dick
That's the thing.

1. Ed's team is hardly ever gonna have possession, I guess that is not even up for debate here.
2. When do they get it, they are facing a brilliant defense themselves and the striker isn't proven against the kind of big names like Sheva and Ronaldo are. Probably harsh ob Robin but at this stage I'd say he's a weakness.

The scoring potential for Ed's team seems very very little here IMO. And I don't think Theon's defense would be vulnerable on counter to make that route effective.

antohan

Probably the fairest way.
I agree. I see why theon has relaxed it here. EDogen has been able to pick Keano and, if he goes through, Ronaldo. Bugger, that would be for another non-CL. Anyhow, I agree that's how it should be.

I think Luis Enrique on the right side of the pitch will definitely give Candela and Xavi problems when he and Robben link up. I wouldn't have picked Xavi either like Anto said, what made the diamond so great has been lost IMO.
Total misfit IMO. I know, Xavi is the dog's bollocks, but Gravejoy has no use for those. Or does he? Tee hee :D

Not sure if Van Persie will give Maldini enough problems, whilst Sheva and Ronaldo is a handful for anyone.
Sure, that's why I reckon Theon should close the flank. Close the flank and it's game over in reality, not here as De Rossi obviously isn't as popular as Xavi. Big decision there.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Again I'd say it's a case of Theon having the better quality but conceding perhaps the clearest route to goal in the Robben/Luis Enrique breaking and fed by Zidane to tie up Candela.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Enrique will tear into your left flank, make no mistake about it. The attacking side of his game was the strongest and he makes an ideal selfless foil for Robben. You are too focused on looking at the fullback-winger pair there.

Paolo!!!! I know, which is where Luis Enrique is a worry, precisely. Which one does Maldini pick up? I wouldn't say that flank is horrendously exposed, but De Rossi there would fill me with confidence it's rock solid.
We disagree here then mate, if Enrique goes walkabouts and keeps popping up on the right flank it leaves Keano in midfield against Gattuso/Pirlo/Xavi/Iniesta - he can't do that. A couple of quick passes around Keane, a through ball to Ronaldo and a goal.

Enrique is here to play centre mid and that is exactly what he needs to do against this midfield - fair enough he might pop up on the right occasionally but he simply cannot keep doing it. It's not even as if Robben can swap the role with him and join Keano in the middle to help out when Enrique drifts, I can't think of a winger worse for that than Robben!

On the Xavi points in the thread:

As I said at the top - Xavi can press, maybe not as good as De Rossi but he can certainly close down, Barca have done it for years.

Disagree on the mismatch with Pirlo as well, it's similar to the Seedorf/Pirlo/Kaka combination - but more importantly to those saying it's too many playmakers, Spain won the World Cup with Alonso, Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta all in midfield.

I can't see a trio of Gattuso/Pirlo/Xavi being a problem, because the two of them are different players - Pirlo drops deep, Xavi is more advanced

Even look at Barca, Iniesta here isn't playing centre mid next to Xavi he is playing as a drifting attacking midfielder - similar to his role on the left wing at Barcelona

Yet Barca have played midfields of Busquets/Xavi/Thiago or Fabregas with Iniesta in an advanced role. How is Pirlo/Gattuso/Xavi any more possession orientated than that?

NM

Theon, if it isn't going welll.. sub Xavi and bring on De Rossi after the casuals have voted. You will win that way.

Art

Art the artist
I wish I really could watch a match played by these two teams in reality. What a game it will be.. its ridiculously close!

Moby

Dick
Again I'd say it's a case of Theon having the better quality but conceding perhaps the clearest route to goal in the Robben/Luis Enrique breaking and fed by Zidane to tie up Candela.
Given the amount of possession Theon's team will have that will happen like 2-3 times in a half and he's got Paolo Maldini as the man guarding the 6 yard box.

antohan

We disagree here then mate, if Enrique goes walkabouts and keeps popping up on the right flank it leaves Keano in midfield against Gattuso/Pirlo/Xavi/Iniesta - he can't do that. A couple of quick passes around Keane, a through ball to Ronaldo and a goal.
With ball vs. without ball. Basic concept. Same as with "Cafú can't attack because Giggs will take advantage".

If Robben is on the ball, Luis Enrique's support is guaranteed, he won't stand around in midfield faffing around looking after players who are not in possession!

No, he will be dragging them with him. If he is dragging De Rossi I fancy Maldini-Candela and De Rossi to kill that off. If it is Xavi you are exposed. He presses, but he is nowhere near as accomplished a defensive minded player as De Rossi and that's what Luis Enrique cries out for.

Enrique is here to play centre mid and that is exactly what he needs to do against this midfield - fair enough he might pop up on the right occasionally but he simply cannot keep doing it. It's not even as if Robben can swap the role with him and join Keano in the middle to help out when Enrique drifts, I can't think of a winger worse for that than Robben!
Some of the discussions on here make me wonder if people have ever watched a game of football. Forget about arguing your team's case and think about what you are saing. It's ridiculous, everyone else is seeing it as well.

On the Xavi points in the thread:

As I said at the top - Xavi can press, maybe not as good as De Rossi but he can certainly close down, Barca have done it for years.

Disagree on the mismatch with Pirlo as well, it's similar to the Seedorf/Pirlo combination - but more importantly to those saying it's too many playmakers, Spain won the World Cup with Alonso, Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta all in midfield.

I can't see a trio of Gattuso/Pirlo/Xavi being a problem, because the two of them are different players - Pirlo drops deep, Xavi is more advanced
He is a msifit, get over it. He is not playing to his strengths and he is not what your tactics or the opposition call for in that position.

Ash_G

Very tough one, can imagine it would be a case of Theon dominating the ball and EDgodens team playing on the counter. I'd give the edge to Theon's team just though. When in possession with pirlo, xavi and iniesta to provide Ronaldo alone is gonna be pretty deadly, but also with Pirlo's long range passing, if his team win the ball back whilst EDgoden's team is countering or on the attack, Ronaldo has a very good chance of getting in.

Theon's team as usual lacks width but his is also more versatile. Could easily have Iniesta and Shev pull wider if needed although they still won't go down the line, but would open the pitch. Plus in all honesty with RVP as the lone striker I don't think he's gonna get too much joy out of crosses, so looks like his wingers would have to cut in anyway and Theon's team is set up really well for a narrow game. Also wouldn't particularly fancy Shev pulling on to Evra. Can easily see him loosing him.

arjwiz

Theon has some squad there. I agree on De Rossi adding more balance but the top 6 are unbeatable IMO - how could you possibly drop any of them? Ronaldo and Shevchenko is almost a dream pairing.

Red-Indian

As Theon says, I can see Pirlo-Xavi-Gattuso-Iniesta acting exactly like Alonso-Xavi-Busquets-Iniesta. That team has won 2 European and 1 World Cup. Theon's gone and added a better defense and heaps better strikeforce.

It's a perfect team really.