Film Redcafe Film Club, Week 2 - Leon

Film Club Week 2 Vote

• Total voters

Ken Barlow

Welcome to the second week!

This week our second member @esmufc07 has picked 4 films of their choice for you to vote on.

Please see post No. 2 for the details of the films.

The Rules:

* Only members votes will count
* If you’re not a member and want to join drop me a PM and you can be added from the following week onwards
* Voting closes Tuesday 18th at midnight
* Weds 19th the winner will be confirmed (although voting is open so it will be apparent earlier than that)
* Once the winner is confirmed on Weds 19th, you’ll have a week to watch and post your comments/review
* I will post details of how to watch the winning film and be available by PM to help with any tricky ones
* If you do happen to watch early, please post your review/comments in spoiler tags
* Also on Wednesday 19th our third member @Mystry will submit 4 films of his choice for people to vote on

Ken Barlow

Author @esmufc07

No theme in particular again this week, but all highly rated films...

Option 1. Leon https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110413/
Option 2. Munich https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408306/
Option 3. Requiem for a Dream https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0180093/
Option 4. Infernal Affairs https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338564/

Leon - 1994 (8.6 on IMDB)

“One of my favourite films, but a film I haven't seen in a very long time so this is perhaps a good time to rewatch it. Incredible performances from Jean Reno, Gary Oldman and a young Natalie Portman.”

Mathilda, a 12-year-old girl, is reluctantly taken in by Léon, a professional assassin, after her family is murdered. Léon and Mathilda form an unusual relationship, as she becomes his protégée and learns the assassin's trade.

Munich - 2005 (7.6 on IMDB)

Historical film about Israel's response to the massacre at the 1972 Olympics. Sure to cause some debate in the discussion thread.”

Based on the true story of the Black September aftermath, about the five men chosen to eliminate the ones responsible for that fateful day.

Requiem for a Dream - 2000 (8.3 on IMDB)

A film I've never seen but heard a lot about, looks somewhat of a twisted and dark film.”

The drug-induced utopias of four Coney Island people are shattered when their addictions run deep.

Infernal Affairs - 2002 (8.1 on IMDB)

Remade as The Departed but this is the original. Not a film I've seen but highly rated, so could be worth a watch.”

A story between a mole in the police department and an undercover cop. Their objectives are the same: to find out who is the mole, and who is the cop.

Last edited:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
As the only one I haven't been able to get to the end of, I'll go for Requiem for a Dream.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Will come back a little later and update with @mentions photos, a little info about each film and the reason why Elvis picked the films he did. In the meantime, here’s this weeks nominations...

Option 1. Leon https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110413/
Option 2. Munich https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408306/
Option 3. Raquiem for a Dream https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0408306/
Option 4. Infernal Affairs https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338564/
You linked Munich twice & not RfaD. Link for RfaD is: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0180093/

My vote is for Requiem for a Dream. Leon is a great film that I wouldn't mind rewatching, though!

Yagami

Good post resistant
I've been meaning to watch Leon for a long, long time, but I'm still going to think about this one before choosing. I'll probably end up choosing it anyway, though!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I love Leon and haven't seen it for years, so maybe that. Will decide later on though.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I've added a poll. It's the kind where you can change your vote and see who voted for what. I can't make it a film club members only vote though, that's a matter for conscience and somebody checking!

If the poll isn't helpful, and we decide it's better to answer in the thread, I'll delete it again.

I voted Leon - not seen it, have heard of it, like the sound of it.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Voting for Leon, haven't seen it in ages and was actually talking about it recently with someone.

Anyone who doesn't vote Leon is a cabrón.

Ken Barlow

I've added a poll. It's the kind where you can change your vote and see who voted for what. I can't make it a film club members only vote though, that's a matter for conscience and somebody checking!

If the poll isn't helpful, and we decide it's better to answer in the thread, I'll delete it again.

I voted Leon - not seen it, have heard of it, like the sound of it.
Thanks very much, so helpful. Will now be able to do just 1 check at the end of the week for non-members.

Speaking of which, welcome to RDFC to 6 new members in order of joining:
@Archie Leach @crappycraperson @vangagal @ThierryHenry @Ian Reus @Cascarino

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Thanks very much, so helpful. Will now be able to do just 1 check at the end of the week for non-members.

Speaking of which, welcome to RDFC to 6 new members in order of joining:
Can I vote in this round or do I wait until the next one Mr Barlow?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Voting for Internal Affairs

Léon is one of my favourite films so won’t begrudge it a win.

Requiem for a Dream is also fantastic.

Haven’t seen Internal Affairs or Munich so the choice is between those two for me and IA sounds very interesting.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
Good choices

@Ken Barlow is there anyway we can have a list of who is next or a list of all the members next to suggest films? I have a few in mind now - just want to see how many people are in front before I lock in my choices that’s all.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
Voted internal affairs - never seen. Although I’m happy to watch Léon if it wins as I’ve only seen it once before and I remember it being an amazing film (must be 6/7 years ago)

Ken Barlow

Good choices

@Ken Barlow is there anyway we can have a list of who is next or a list of all the members next to suggest films? I have a few in mind now - just want to see how many people are in front before I lock in my choices that’s all.
No probs - see below:

Member 1: @VeevaVee ✅
Member 2: @esmufc07 ✅
Member 3: @Mystry ✅
Member 4: @oates
Member 5: @Olly
Member 6: @Pexbo
Member 7: @The Cat
Member 8: @SalfordRed18
Member 9: @broccoli
Member 10: @Arbitrium
Member 11: @Tommy
Member 12: @Ubik
Member 13: @Jake
Member 14: @Snowjoe
Member 15: @Tarrou
Member 16: @Heardy
Member 17: @20solskjaer
Member 18: @Igor Drefljak
Member 19: @Amar__
Member 20: @BD
Member 21: @Rooney in Paris
Member 22: @Yagami
Member 23: @Wedge
Member 24: left
Member 25: @botond
Member 26: @P-Nut0712
Member 27: @Raees
Member 28: @RedRazor
Member 29: @UnrelatedPsuedo
Member 30: @decorativeed
Member 31: @RedTiger
Member 32: @jojojo
Member 33: @Archie Leach
Member 34: @crappycraperson
Member 35: @vangagal
Member 36: @ThierryHenry
Member 37: @Ian Reus
Member 38: @Cascarino
Member 39: @Invictus
Member 40: @Jim Beam
Member 41: @Eckers99

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Went for Leon because it's AGES since I've seen it and I can't remember much other than it being cool as feck.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Looks like Leon is gonna win :D I'm alright with that.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
@Ken Barlow @jojojo would it be possible for members to give a rating out of 5 along with each review and to possibly keep tabs in a stickied thread at the top of the page?

Would be interesting to look back on and see how films are rated amongst ourselves and whether any are worth going back and revisiting in a few months/years

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
@Ken Barlow @jojojo would it be possible for members to give a rating out of 5 along with each review and to possibly keep tabs in a stickied thread at the top of the page?

Would be interesting to look back on and see how films are rated amongst ourselves and whether any are worth going back and revisiting in a few months/years
We'd have to agree on a rough system. For example Moonrise is far better than most tosh but when compared with other high quality films is probably average and some would have it at 2/5 I reckon.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
We'd have to agree on a rough system. For example Moonrise is far better than most tosh but when compared with other high quality films is probably average and some would have it at 2/5 I reckon.
It's just what you'd rate it out of 5 for watchability. Most of the film's we end up watching will be quality you'd guess due to being mass voted for first

Ken Barlow

Leon (1994) - IMDB Rating 8.6/10

Directed by: Luc Besson

Top 5. Films Directed by LB according to IMDB:
1. Leon (8.6) 2. The Fifth Element (7.7) 3. Nikita (7.4) 4. Angel A (7.1) 5. The Lady (7.1)

Synopsis - Mathilda, a 12-year-old girl, is reluctantly taken in by Léon, a professional assassin, after her family is murdered. Léon and Mathilda form an unusual relationship, as she becomes his protégée and learns the assassin's trade.

Awards: Leon (or Leon The Professional) didn’t get a nomination at the Oscars. It was released in a year that also brought us Schindlers List, Philadelphia and The Fugitive.

You have a week to watch and post a brief review. The best and funniest comments will feature in a Redcafe Film Review video once the week is up.

If you need help finding a way to watch this, please drop me a PM. Thanks again for voting.​

Last edited:

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
It's one of those Luc Besson films that contrasts with his more frenetic ones, all of them visually brilliant and stylish but you're thinking that when not much is going on you still enjoy not much going on. Jean Reno is Jean Reno, he is so good. Is it Natalie Portman's debut, I could check, who cares?? Anyway it's a good one too. I just like Luc Besson films all round I suppose.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Do we need spoiler tags now we're into the review phase? Anyway I've not used them here because I don't think I'm revealing more of the plot than exists in the trailer summary. I'll add them if that's what people prefer.

I thought it was brilliant - from the opening fly in over the trees, to the bookending closing scenes. I liked the acting, the story, the atmosphere. And I liked all of those things despite not being much of a gangster/action fan, nor Lolita-esque plotline enthusiast nor Luc Besson admirer.

Something got be hooked and kept me watching. The remote was left undisturbed throughout, no pauses for coffee, no channel flipping to check on the Arsenal match, no halfwatched sequences where I picked up my phone or skimmed the café. For something that I watched at home and alone, it got a lot more than my normal level of attention or respect.

I suspect though that it's not one of those films I'll watch again and again, looking for nuance or because I'm hypnotised by the mood and the characters. Rather it was one that I watched because I wanted to know what would happen next, and how we would get there. I suspect it's a first time you watch whammy or a not at all - I'd be interested to know if it's different for other people.

Incidentally, not knowing much about the movie going in, it was only afterwards I realised that there are/were two edits of the movie. The standard US cinema release of 90-odd minutes and another longer version (2 hours+) with more Leon/Mathilde at work and at home scenes. I saw the longer version and I really don't think I'd have been so impressed without those sequences - in fact I can't really visualise what the movie would be without them. It intrigues me that the scenes were dropped on the basis of initial test screenings and bad audience reactions.

If anyone has seen the shorter version, does it work as anything other than a shoot-em-up?