Film Redcafe Film Club, Week 2 - Leon

Film Club Week 2 Vote

• Total voters

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Do we need spoiler tags now we're into the review phase? Anyway I've not used them here because I don't think I'm revealing more of the plot than exists in the trailer summary. I'll add them if that's what people prefer.

I thought it was brilliant - from the opening fly in over the trees, to the bookending closing scenes. I liked the acting, the story, the atmosphere. And I liked all of those things despite not being much of a gangster/action fan, nor Lolita-esque plotline enthusiast nor Luc Besson admirer.

Something got be hooked and kept me watching. The remote was left undisturbed throughout, no pauses for coffee, no channel flipping to check on the Arsenal match, no halfwatched sequences where I picked up my phone or skimmed the café. For something that I watched at home and alone, it got a lot more than my normal level of attention or respect.

I suspect though that it's not one of those films I'll watch again and again, looking for nuance or because I'm hypnotised by the mood and the characters. Rather it was one that I watched because I wanted to know what would happen next, and how we would get there. I suspect it's a first time you watch whammy or a not at all - I'd be interested to know if it's different for other people.

Incidentally, not knowing much about the movie going in, it was only afterwards I realised that there are/were two edits of the movie. The standard US cinema release of 90-odd minutes and another longer version (2 hours+) with more Leon/Mathilde at work and at home scenes. I saw the longer version and I really don't think I'd have been so impressed without those sequences - in fact I can't really visualise what the movie would be without them. It intrigues me that the scenes were dropped on the basis of initial test screenings and bad audience reactions.

If anyone has seen the shorter version, does it work as anything other than a shoot-em-up?
Using Spoilers on all of mine just in case but not giving away any big secrets, just that some people will watch at different points during the week. Some of us can be polite y'know. ha!

I watched the directors cut too.

Ken Barlow

Watching this back in the day, I thought this was one of the best films ever made... Researching this film beforehand, I was hugely impressed after almost 25 years and 900,000 IMDB user votes - this was still considered to be the 29th greatest film ever made. I was excited to watch it for a second time, almost 20 years later...

The storyline of an aging hitman taking on a young protege was very good. However, I’m just going to put it out there at the start of my review, I really disliked the paedo back story. It was very unnecessary, uncomfortable viewing.

The film itself was very representative of a 90s action flick. I mean, there was a part where Leon cheered up Mathilda minutes after her family had been brutally murdered, by making pig noises with a pig puppet. The world class hitman, whose best friend was a plant.

There’s a hell of a lot to like about this film, including the Goldeneye sounding Score, which I loved.

Overall, I liked it much less this time around. The extended version was a huge mistake. 20 Years on rewatching Leon, I’m afraid to say, for me, it’s stock has fallen. A good film in its own right, but I will no longer consider it a true great.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Just finished Leon, and I thought it was very good. Enjoyed it, however, I have to agree with @Ken Barlow , peado thing was unnecessary. With all the killing and stuff, we had lot of dark atmosphere going around, no one would have anything against Mathilda wishing Leon was her father figure or something like that, and not some old hit man that would get in love with 13 year old girl. Completely unnecessary, IMO.

Also, didn't even realise that's 13 year old Natalie Portman. :eek:

No paedophile or rape jokes before anyone thinks of posting one. Should go without saying really but have to post it as I know what some are like.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The storyline of an aging hitman taking on a young protege was very good. However, I’m just going to put it out there at the start of my review, I really disliked the paedo back story. It was very unnecessary, uncomfortable viewing.
I'd agree with that. The idea that with the life she'd already led, she might be expecting that a payback would be demanded from her, made sense. She wants a protector (even a dad) but knows that that might cost her something, and she knows she hasn't got much to bargain with.

The film overstepped that briefly and slid into the Lolita genre a couple of times, which didn't just seem unnecessary, it seemed at odds with the rest of their interactions.

The "how I think my first time should be" speech.
The lying together in bed scene, the awkwardness is fine, but it serves no purpose for either character

While I'm thinking of individual scenes though, I'll mention my favourite scene in the movie.
When she's sat on the apartment steps and a couple of kids demand her pocket money. One of those moments when you really don't know how a character will react, and the response really strikes a chord.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I'm glad people feel like me about the Lolita element, it made me feel quite uncomfortable. Watching the supposed 'Directors Cut' did not improve the film for me, I hadn't remembered anything like this from watching Leon years ago. It's spoiled the memory of what I had felt was a firm favourite.