RedCafe Malicious Advert?

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Ok I've blocked ads from an ad network which I think may be causing this. Please let me know if people are still seeing these popups.

Dracula

caf plane air-master

Just got this now im afraid @Niall

This was the ad at the bottom at the time. I couldnt get more info about the ad url

Last edited:

Dracula

caf plane air-master
Another one with different advert. Ill keep posting screenshots if it helps

Advert at the top was

Go get em @Niall

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Ok hopefully those pop-up ads are now gone for good. If anybody sees one again, please let me know here.

Thanks.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football

Thats the latest one. I don't think I have malware on the phone
Been getting these while browsing the forum. I did not click on the ads and sometimes it even happens without me doing anything but idling on the site.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Damn :(

Are these appearing on the homepage at all?

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Thanks @Redlambs.

Anyone at all getting these popup ads on the homepage?

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Just this moment had a string of bad ones from the general that were trying to force me into new tabs.
Do you remember where exactly in the General? Was it in a thread?

The thread list is the only page in there with ads.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Yes it was the thread list. I couldn't tell what ad though because it kept forcing me off site. It happened about 4 times in quick succession.
Damn :( You're on an android device?

Anyone else getting this?

Dracula

caf plane air-master
Actually I got a dodgy one last night on the thread list (i never really go on the 'homepage').

It gave me the option to 'stop' the dialogue from this site (meaning the ad) i ticked the box but clicked 'cancel' as opposed to 'ok in case it meant 'ok' to 'cleaning my android device' it then took me to another site anyway, i didnt wait for it to load to find out what it was.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Actually I got a dodgy one last night on the thread list (i never really go on the 'homepage').

It gave me the option to 'stop' the dialogue from this site (meaning the ad) i ticked the box but clicked 'cancel' as opposed to 'ok in case it meant 'ok' to 'cleaning my android device' it then took me to another site anyway, i didnt wait for it to load to find out what it was.
Do you remember which forum you were in?

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Actually that doesn't really matter, forget it :)

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
@Niall I just got the William Hill app thing again (on iOS) while I was in the Le Sulk Terminates his contract thread, on the Football Forum.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
@Niall I just got the William Hill app thing again (on iOS) while I was in the Le Sulk Terminates his contract thread, on the Football Forum.
Thanks for letting me know. I'm changed some ad code on thread pages so please let me know if it happens again.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Not about what's being discussed in this thread directly, but didn't want to create a new thread about it. Maybe this thread can be used for all "unwanted ads"?

Anyway, I've run into this ad a few times lately:
When you move your mouse over it (which usually happens for me when scrolling down the page) it plays a "you have mail" audio bit, which is fairly annoying when listening to music or just quietly browsing the web with headphones on and turned up quite a bit.

Plugsy

Twice in the last two days I've got an urgent alert to update my flash player and a .exe file downloads, or at least would do if I don't stop it within the brief few seconds I have. It's accompanied with a pop up that shows for a second (before downloading automatically as I've said) asking me if I want to download a PC scan too.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I'm getting this too.

http://update.flashpaly.info/Player1/C/update-uk.php?installer=Flash_Player_11_for_Other_Browsers&browser_type=KHTML&dualoffer=false

'The page at update.flashpaly.info says:

Page can not be displayed!

Please Update Flash Player to the latest version!'

Which then auto downloads setup.exe

You can spot the changing of play to paly as it attempts to look legit.

Currently getting it in the US Airways thread.

Last edited:

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
My ads are working fine. Sounds a bit like adware that flash thing.

WeasteDevil

I'm getting ads that are overlayed instead of embedded now. Sorry, but this is totally out of order. I've always kept adblock turned off for this site, but if this continues it's going too far, and I will turn it on.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
@Niall

A few bugs betting the ads right with the latest update I think. Sorry for the inconvenience and hopefully Niall can sort it out soon.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
I'm getting ads that are overlayed instead of embedded now. Sorry, but this is totally out of order. I've always kept adblock turned off for this site, but if this continues it's going too far, and I will turn it on.
Are they similar to what is described in this thread weaste? Are you seeing them on your android device?

I am absolutely not placing these kinds of ads on the site. Any kind of modal/popup/overlay style ad is definitely unacceptable. There's a lot of dodgy practices going on with mobile ads on many ad networks atm. People using javascript to do all sorts of shady stuff like the kind of Android ads in this thread, or automatically redirecting people on iOS to an app on the App Store etc.

The ads are difficult to track down and stop and the networks seem to be dragging their heels with fixing it :(

Last edited:

WeasteDevil

Are they similar to what is described in this thread weaste? Are you seeing them on your android device?

I am absolutely not placing these kinds of ads on the site. Any kind of modal/popup/overlay style ad is definitely unacceptable. There's a lot of dodgy practices going on with mobile ads on many ad networks atm. People using javascript to do all sorts of shady stuff like the kind of Android ads in this thread, or automatically redirecting people on iOS to an app on the App Store etc.

The ads are difficult to track down and stop and the networks seem to be dragging their heels with fixing it :mad:
They have stopped now, and it was on my PC in a Firefox browser. They were not appearing in thread pages, but on forum pages.

The would appear as overlays at the bottom of the screen that would take up about 1/5 of the browser window at 1080p. The ads were centred with an X box to close in an overlay that was semi-transparent grey. On the forum list page for example, they would appear in addition to the two ads embedded in the page at the top and bottom.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.

The ads are difficult to track down and stop and the networks seem to be dragging their heels with fixing it :(
Just to let you know, the Adobe flash one that I received a little further up was on my PC and not my Android.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
They have stopped now, and it was on my PC in a Firefox browser. They were not appearing in thread pages, but on forum pages.

The would appear as overlays at the bottom of the screen that would take up about 1/5 of the browser window at 1080p. The ads were centred with an X box to close in an overlay that was semi-transparent grey. On the forum list page for example, they would appear in addition to the two ads embedded in the page at the top and bottom.
Ouch, so these are not just on mobile devices then.

If it happens again, I'll take a screenshot.
Please do.

@Zarlak do you remember what page you were on when you saw that? Homepage, forums list, forum thread list, in a thread?