g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Redcafe Sheep Draft QF3 - Polaroid vs Pippa

Who will win based on all the players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I must say that I have learnt that in these drafts it is best to stack up in one area rather than trying to build an all round solid team. Annah got on in the last match with the weakest CB pair in the draft till the final and Pol's full backs right now are probably the weakest. (I rate Gallas as a center back but not at RB)

Moby

Dick
I must say that I have learnt that in these drafts it is best to stack up in one area rather than trying to build an all round solid team. Annah got on in the last match with the weakest CB pair in the draft till the final and Pol's full backs right now are probably the weakest. (I rate Gallas as a center back but not at RB)
It is risky, though. But I understand what you are saying and combinations do make a difference. And partnerships as well.

Issue is in that method you leave a whole area much weaker in other area and if you come up with a team that can exploit it no matter what you do you will suffer because of it.

crappycraperson

Scout
It is risky, though. But I understand what you are saying and combinations do make a difference. And partnerships as well.

Issue is in that method you leave a whole area much weaker in other area and if you come up with a team that can exploit it no matter what you do you will suffer because of it.
If Pippa's wingers could not exploit Pol's weakness here, I don't see who can. He should not even bother upgrading them IMO, get upgrades for his wingers or Etoo

Annahnomoss

Ahhh, well done Pippa then. You are doing really good for a new manager and I think bringing up Desailly and bringing down Gullit was a ballsy but smart move. It really saved you from being sent home decisively.

Moby

Dick
If Pippa's wingers could not exploit Pol's weakness here, I don't see who can. He should not even bother upgrading them IMO, get upgrades for his wingers or Etoo
It was always not gonna be a big issue not having great fullbacks in this one as there are hardly any top wingers. Even Giggsy doesn't get proper credit.

In an all time draft you can get screwed against the likes of Best, Garrincha, Cristiano etc. It happened to me, in the decades one. I had Zambrotta, who I personally rate quite well, but was center of attention as he was facing Best and then Garrincha.

It also depends on the manager, Pippa didn't really exploit it much.

VivaJanuzaj

That's the problem EAP, you shouldn't vote to draw it or to sway it one way or another, you should just vote for who you think us even slightly better, and if you can't decide and still haven't been talked into it by either manager, you shouldn't vote.. This time it changed a draft result. I'm having a rule with myself never to check whose winning before voting myself for this exact reason..

Pippa

He voted close to 15 minutes before me, with VivaJanuzaj.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Consistency absolutely has to come into it otherwise someone like Alvaro Recoba is someone you can rely on to beat three man and score a screamer in every game.
I try and judge everyone at their best in peak form. Ill be considering Zidane when he was the match winner in World Cups and Champions League finals, Redondo in 2000, or Cannavaro in 2006. That form would obviously have to be related to the performances they've shown throughout their career to discount flash in the pans otherwise we'll have Denilson featuring for his Le Tournoi form or Gary Breen for his 2002 World Cup, so yeah thats where consistency and longevity of performances would come into it.

If someone like Ferdinand has shown over his career that he's a defender that can generally be relied on, i'm not going to pay any real attention to random 1 in 20 games that he lets himself down.

At that point i'll judge the players in the context of this game. How likely that the tactics deployed will get the best out of them, the players alongside them, who they're up against etc.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Not trying to attack any team but IMO players like Redondo and Luis Enrique are way too overrated in the Caf Fantasy Football games.

Moby

Dick
Not trying to attack any team but IMO players like Redondo and Luis Enrique are way too overrated in the Caf Fantasy Football games.
Luis Enrique's completely down to antohan's antics. And given how vocal he is he's bound to be heard. IMO he overrated almost every player who played for Barca during the 90s. Not saying I have a problem with it, he has an emotional attachment with them and I never mind that. We all have our favourites which we are guilty of overrating when getting into a discussion over them.

As for Redondo I said the same earlier, for all the love he gets he's hardly ever been part of a winning team or being a major catalyst in taking the team forward. So I don't really think he's overrated by everyone here else the results would show it. He's the sort of player who everyone likes and that shows in the discussions.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think judging a player based on one season (or in Zidane's case a handful of performances) is mad myself. I agree about you on Rio as he was consistently top class for three seasons with very few mistakes in that time but I think his point was more in reply to the idea that Rio was flawless which is fair enough really. He is painted that way so providing a handful of examples in one season is a fair way of saying that a defence with him wasn't completely impenetrable and you will get a couple of chances against him even at his peak.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
That's the problem EAP, you shouldn't vote to draw it or to sway it one way or another, you should just vote for who you think us even slightly better, and if you can't decide and still haven't been talked into it by either manager, you shouldn't vote.. This time it changed a draft result. I'm having a rule with myself never to check whose winning before voting myself for this exact reason..
I agree in principle, but then think this should be a draw. I can't just remain neutral contrary to my opinions, can I?

I would have never voted if thought either team had an advantage. Infact on balance, mentioned that voted for flair over solidity, which I believed!

Don't think that was just a penalty vote.

Moby

Dick
I think judging a player based on one season (or in Zidane's case a handful of performances) is mad myself. I agree about you on Rio as he was consistently top class for three seasons with very few mistakes in that time but I think his point was more in reply to the idea that Rio was flawless which is fair enough really. He is painted that way so providing a handful of examples in one season is a fair way of saying that a defence with him wasn't completely impenetrable and you will get a couple of chances against him even at his peak.
The issue with that, and the reason peak form is emphasized, is that it doesn't leave level ground when a large scale of players are involved.

We have watched Rio day in day out so his bad days or errors are in our memory and on record as well. But there are players who played long ago and no one here followed them day in day out, or at least doesn't remember his bad days as clearly as say someone like Rio's, so it is unfair on recent players to be criticized for being recent, in a way. For example, had Cristiano played in the 60s or so, would anyone looking at his stats, records and highlight packages and a handful of full games years later criticize him in the detailed manner he is right now? Despite scoring goals at the rate he does he's called upon for not helping defense or not being creative enough, etc.

For that reason and to put everything on a level field I personally ignore these rare blips despite being well aware of it, because otherwise it is just unfair for me.

Also as I said earlier in this thread, unless you are actually implying a player's weakness that would effect this game, it is not really relevant to bring up stuff like Danny in Zenit scored against Rio. I mean, what's the point?

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Yeah my next post touched on that, as i did see then how it was fair to provide a bit of perspective. Of course he wasn't flawless which should go without saying but probably does need reminding.

Personally i'd judge Rio in this game as if he were at the peak of his powers, but then taking into account the factors in this game and what likely bearing they would have on his performance. Considering for example his suitability to his centre half partner (Assumed 2006 Cannavaro), opposition forwards (An isolated RvN) tactics and anything else necessary into account i'd fancy him to come through it pretty well. Nothing really to expect he might have a 2008 Zenit or Blackburn performance.

Pippa missed a trick a bit imo dwelling on the proven class performers like Zidane and Rio, and not focussing more on the less proven peak performers in Pols side.

Last edited:

crappycraperson

Scout
Or Cuper taking off Aimar at HT in 2001. That is the single most diabolical decision I have seen in a football match. I was sort of supporting Valencia in that final and I remember being totally enraged by it.

Polaroid

Sorry lads, weekend is family time
Good game, thank you all for the votes and feedback