Redcafe Snooker

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I get the point about the current overall standard. Although that brings us back to your earlier post saying: "Judd Trump telling himself and everyone else he is the best again. Can't stand the fecking prick."

It seems harsh slagging him off for stating the obvious fact that he's been the best player over the last couple of years, and then going on to try to belittle his achievements by saying there's not much competition for him as the others are mostly 'wet wipes'.

Judd wasn't saying anything dismissive like that about his competitors. He was just pointing out that, with the way the points are distributed, O'Sullivan could have overtaken him by winning his only ranking tournament of the season if that was the World Championship - and was just saying that the points shouldn't be so skewed towards one tournament as he'd clearly been the #1 player the last couple of seasons yet Ronnie might become #1 just because of one tournament win.

The standard might not be at peak level at the moment - the best players, other than Judd, being in their late 30's and 40's and so mostly past their absolute prime. But it's not as if Judd is playing average / good Snooker and only winning so much because the competition isn't great.

He's playing top level Snooker - getting around 100 centuries a season, playing a great all round game. And that World Championship Final performance v Higgins was outstanding. He has to do it for longer than a couple of years to be in the Ronnie and Hendry conversation as the GOAT. But he's still in his prime - 15-20 years younger than those - and has already got himself 3rd in that list. So he deserves huge respect for that and let's see if he can continue it for a long period like they did.
3rd in what list? He's not the 3rd GOAT yet if that's what you mean?

Bertie Wooster

3rd in what list? He's not the 3rd GOAT yet if that's what you mean?
It was, yeah.
If that's the only thing you disagree with in the post, then fine. Where would you put Judd in the list? And who else would you currently put above him? John Higgins or Steve Davis, maybe?

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
It was, yeah.
If that's the only thing you disagree with in the post, then fine. Where would you put Judd in the list? And who else would you currently put above him? John Higgins or Steve Davis, maybe?
I would put both of those right now yes - am not saying he won't move up but he's not there quite yet for me. Was a good post though.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
I would put both of those right now yes - am not saying he won't move up but he's not there quite yet for me. Was a good post though.
Mark Williams is also above Trump I would say. Maybe even Selby. Trump could surpass them of course. Long way to catch Higgins and Davis though.

Bertie Wooster

I'm really enjoying watching this Lisowski - Robertson match.

I like both players, so it's the kind of match that I want both to win and feel really sorry for the loser.

I prefer Lisowski. I'd love him to start winning trophies and, in the shorter term, fully establish himself in the top 16. He's looking better from the mental and consistency side of the game - but still less so than the regular winners of tournaments. I'd prefer him to win, but then Robbo is more likely to go and compete for the title so either going through would be fine.

I'm just glad Jack is showing himself capable of competing with Robbo so far. He's being helped by Robertson not being at his best yet, but Lisowski is doing well with the safety, potting and temperament side of his game so far. Still a long way to go though, and Robbo's bound to turn it on at some point - the challenge will be for Jack to keep up with him then.

Bertie Wooster

Mark Williams is also above Trump I would say. Maybe even Selby. Trump could surpass them of course. Long way to catch Higgins and Davis though.
Trump's 15 years younger than Williams, 6 years younger than Sebly, and already has more ranking titles than the latter and just one less than the former. He's also already got way more century breaks than either.

So I guess a lot depends on how much importance you put on total World Championships (like the CL / World Cup argument in football). They've won 3, Trump's only won one. But, again, he's much younger and has only just reached his prime in the last couple of years so plenty more opportunities to win them and other titles before he's 37 and 46 like those two.

I'd put Trump 5th on the list for now. I initially said 3rd but should have put Higgins and Davis above him at the moment.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Trump's 15 years younger than Williams, 6 years younger than Sebly, and already has more ranking titles than the latter and just one less than the former. He's also already got way more century breaks than either.

So I guess a lot depends on how much importance you put on total World Championships (like the CL / World Cup argument in football). They've won 3, Trump's only won one. But, again, he's much younger and has only just reached his prime in the last couple of years so plenty more opportunities to win them and other titles before he's 37 and 46 like those two.

I'd put Trump 5th on the list for now. I initially said 3rd but should have put Higgins and Davis above him at the moment.
If it’s talent wise and not achievements then Alex Higgins should be in it too. I also said for now. Could easily surpass them of course. Higgins and Davis will be a tough ask though. Also you have way more ranking events nowadays isn’t it?

Bertie Wooster

If it’s talent wise and not achievements then Alex Higgins should be in it too.
I thought it was both.
With achievements the more important of the two but talent (or attacking, entertaining style) maybe a good separator if there's little to decide them in achievements (titles).

Trump's got amazing talent, but I was highlighting his achievements in my post as to why he was 5th in the list imo - he's only 31 but already has more ranking titles than Selby, and just one less than Williams (who's 15 years older). He's 6th in the all time ranking titles - and by far the youngest - so the only one I'm putting him above (when placing him 5th in the GOAT debate) is Williams as he's only 1 title behind him despite being 15 years younger.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
I thought it was both.
With achievements the more important of the two but talent (or attacking, entertaining style) maybe a good separator if there's little to decide them in achievements (titles).

Trump's got amazing talent, but I was highlighting his achievements in my post as to why he was 5th in the list imo - he's only 31 but already has more ranking titles than Selby, and just one less than Williams (who's 15 years older). He's 6th in the all time ranking titles - and by far the youngest - so the only one I'm putting him above (when placing him 5th in the GOAT debate) is Williams as he's only 1 title behind him despite being 15 years younger.
Its fair with Williams but ranking titles is a bit misleading since there are a lot more nowadays. Also Trump must add a lot more majors. Winning 10 Gibraltar opens doesn’t equal winning 1 WC but you mentioned that in the post before. If he finishes on two or three world titles he will never surpass Davis and Higgins in my opinion.

Bertie Wooster

Moving away from the GOAT debate to the other level - who do people think are (younger) ones to watch out for outside the top 16 players next season?

I know he's 33, but I enjoyed following Jamie Jones' return to the main tour this season. It was interesting watching him starting as a 100+ player knowing he was a top 64 / 32 player. He's quickly got back up there and is now into the last 16 of the World Championship.

There's plenty of young Chinese players - too many, imo - but a shortage of British ones. I'd like to see 17 year old Jamie Wilson pick up more wins in his second season. He looked decent the few times I saw him.

I always want Ursenbacher and Brecel to do well - the former is improving, the latter going backwards but has more potential of the two. And I'd like to see the likes of Clarke, Craigie and Donaldson (who's already there or thereabouts) get into the top 32.

I guess a lot depends on which 14 come through Q School. I'd like to see Jackson Page return, and Michael White to get back on and finally start fulfilling his potential.

Withnail

He needed a bit of luck early on in this session but he's settled down now while McGill has fallen apart.

Interesting to see if McGill can make a game of it again after the interval.

Zen

Wait, you are already putting Judd over Higgins and Davis? Hell, can you put him over Selby? I guess Selby's bored people into forgetting his 8 Triple Crowns.

Bertie Wooster

Wait, you are already putting Judd over Higgins and Davis? Hell, can you put him over Selby? I guess Selby's bored people into forgetting his 8 Triple Crowns.
If you mean my earlier post, no, I changed that and put him 5th - behind Higgins and Davis. I'd put Judd in the 5, 6, 7 group with Selby and Williams but put him above them as he's already won more rankings tournaments despite being 6 and 15 years younger (well, more than Selby, 1 less than Williams but is 15 years younger so a much better ratio). And has racked up way more century breaks as he's an unbelievable break builder.

I guess for some, Judd needs to win more Triple Crown events to overtake the others. And that's fair. But he's much younger than them and has time to do that, so going off the amount of ranking titles and century breaks he's racked up by 31 I think he's definitely in that group despite having won less Triple Crown events up to now.

But, to me, it's not a huge thing (despite the amount of posts I've been involved with today on it) as, like the 'best ever footballer', it's not quantifiable or provable. The point I was really making, in response to some earlier posts saying Judd isn't that great and just has little opposition (ironically the ones now, rightly, being raved about as greats) was that he is a great player and that, at 31, he is up there as one of the best there's been.

If people say other valid names amongst the greats are currently ahead of him then that's fine. As they're all brilliant players and there'll always be debates about whose best. I was just really saying Judd is already in that conversation. I'd put him 5th. If others put Selby, Williams ahead of him then fine. Neither are 'right' or 'wrong' and all valid opinions.

Brophs

The One and Only
O'Sullivan has looked tetchy and a bit tired this evening. I'm not surprised he made the error at this stage. Good chance for McGill from here.

Bertie Wooster

Ah, b*ll*cks.
Not too fond of McGill - always looks a bit of a bad tempered bugger during games like Maguire and Carter. And I didn't like his behaviour v Clarke last year: as the seed he shouldn't have kept his complaints going on for so long against a debutant (I suspect it was tactical, while trailing 7-2, to disrupt Clarke - and it worked perfectly but I didn't approve of it).

Most of my interest now in the bottom half of the draw: with Trump, Robertson, Lisowski and Wilson.

RUUD_10_LEGEND

McGill held it together really well there, especially given he looked all-but out at 12-11.

The slow, reluctant round of applause for McGill from the Ronnie fan club that is the Crucible audience made me laugh.

Alemar

So we are looking at something like McGill - Selby and Robertson - Trump semifinals, apparently. That’s where it would become unpredictable

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Jack Lisowski will be top 3 in a couple of years

Well that might happen but it's a long way to go for that . Outside the rubbish events like championship league & pro series he was 1-6 against the top 5 players this season. He can beat them on a good day but not consistently .

Wilt

Well that might happen but it's a long way to go for that . Outside the rubbish events like championship league & pro series he was 1-6 against the top 5 players this season. He can beat them on a good day but not consistently .
Agreed, though in a couple of years he’ll be more experienced and consistent

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
What happened last year to Mcgill in the semi final? I recall something crazy, think he might have lost the match by a fluke or something but I've forgotten. Anyone got the clip?

Bertie Wooster

Good couple of days snooker, O'Sullivan and his "c'mon Ronnay!"'s sent packing and Mark Williams playing some good stuff,.
I love watching O'Sullivan play, so I can put up with those loud, annoying shouts from the crowd.

But I can completely understand how others find them too irritating as that's exactly how I felt during the Jimmy White - Stephen Hendry era. I was a big fan of Hendry, and the more the crowd shouted for White, the more desperate I was for Hendry to win.

Deery

Dreary
What happened last year to Mcgill in the semi final? I recall something crazy, think he might have lost the match by a fluke or something but I've forgotten. Anyone got the clip?
Is it when he got up and chased Kyren Wilson down the tunnel looking for a fight then lost?