Redcafe Snooker

Alemar

So we are looking at:
McGill - Bingham
M.Williams - Selby
Robertson - K.Wilson
Murphy - Trump

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So we are looking at:
McGill - Bingham
M.Williams - Selby
Robertson - K.Wilson
Murphy - Trump
McGill
Selby
Wilson
Trump

Selby
Wilson

Wilson

Think (hope) it’s going to be Wilson’s year.

Bertie Wooster

So we are looking at:
McGill - Bingham
M.Williams - Selby
Robertson - K.Wilson
Murphy - Trump
I'll predict Bingham, Selby, Robertson and Trump. But all 4 could / should be close games and tough to call and, as I want the winners of the bottom half to be champions (apart from Murphy), then I'd rather see Selby and Bingham get knocked out.

Alemar

Robertson - Trump semifinal would be too close to call now. In the upper half, I think Selby is potentially the strongest player.

And in relation to Robertson - Wilson - it’s very difficult to imagine anyone but Trump to be able to beat Robertson in his current form in the long match (in a short one it’s of course easier).

Zen

McGill
Selby
Wilson
Trump

Selby
Wilson

Wilson

Think (hope) it’s going to be Wilson’s year.
If he wins it from that draw, it'd be one of the best, I mean outside of (Gary) Wilson who's basically surviving off his semi run now.... that'd be a hell of a run, Hawkins is no slouch either.

But then again, that final 8 is stonking. I feel only Trump's a red hot favourite, but he's a bit jittery over the need for a second crown, Murphy's a bit more relaxed, likely because having a second won't do as much for him as it will Trump, same with Bingham in that respect though. Robertson and Trump genuinely need another World to truly elevate their status... but then you have the Marks wanting to sit next to Higgins too. For a so called weak time.... you've got a great draw here, without 2 of the old guard.

Bingham a mad dark horse, forget that he's a one time Worlds and Masters champ, I find it crazy that he's had 8 147's, not that it means much.

Alemar

Bingham a mad dark horse, forget that he's a one time Worlds and Masters champ, I find it crazy that he's had 8 147's, not that it means much.
There are simply no poor players in this year’s 1/4.

Bertie Wooster

There are simply no poor players in this year’s 1/4.
Yep.
There were a few dismissing the current standard in an attempt to undermine Trump's achievements - but that's a very strong last eight.

And when you consider the likes of O'Sullivan, Higgins and Allen aren't there having lost out to the others, then it just highlights there's some very good quality still competing at the moment - even if most of them are 30+.

Bertie Wooster

I don't like how the commentators often use terms with negative connotations like 'air of arrogance' and 'bullying the opponent' when describing Neil Robertson around the table.

It seems to be a bit of an anti-Australian thing as the English cricket commentators do it with Australian cricketers as well - even though the attributes they're referring to describe cricketers off England, South Africa, West Indies etc as well, but who get more positive sounding descriptions than 'arrogance' and 'bullying'.

Robertson is just a very talented player with a good all round game and who, when on form, looks unstoppable when amongst the balls. You could say the same about Trump, O'Sullivan, Higgins, etc - but they don't get the same negative sounding backhanded compliments.

Last edited:

Alemar

Robertson is just a very talented player with a good all round game and who, when on form, looks unstoppable when amongst the balls.
He is destroying Wilson already. Only Trump can stop him with such a form - and even then it will be an even game.

Ainu

Christ, what a long frame between Wilson and Robertson, over 45 mins with a respotted black to decide it. It was Wilson's frame to lose and he almost did. Would've hurt him a lot.

predator

Youth NITK
Not watched much snooker over the past year but have tuned in to this tournament a few days back.

A few things...

- Neil Robertsons hair! Wtf! He looks cool imo :lol

- That new style of break off using the cushion near the black. That must annoy refs.

Enjoying it all anywhere. I love snooker and can't wait to have a few frames when places open indoors.

Alemar

So far....
Bingham and McGill - expectedly even.

Williams - Selby - here Selby is simply much better prepared

Wilson - Robertson - it could have been worse for Kyren, 3-5 is not bad for him.

Murphy - Trump - Judd was too inaccurate, he didn’t play well at all. Murphy is on par with such a Judd

ChrisNelson

Bingham vs. McGill is a match that has 13-12 written all over it. Both players are so tough to beat. I've been really impressed with McGill this year, it's by far the best he's played in a ranking event (unless you count the Shootout which he won the first year it was a ranking event - I don't).

Selby vs. Williams could be decided by the first session because you let Selby take a 6-2 lead at your peril. Williams needs to win the morning session 5-3 minimum to give himself a chance this evening.

Robertson vs. Wilson is another one that could go the distance, Wilson would have wanted the previous session to carry on as he got some momentum going. Robertson will be hoping that he can pick his game up again following a good night of sleep, but he will need Wilson to drop off the level he was at yesterday if he doesn't improve himself.

Trump vs. Murphy I still have a sneaky feeling Trump will find a way to pull away. As with Robertson I think it's good for him that it's a new day, they also play back to back sessions later so he can get in to a bit of rhythm. He gets frustrated when players stick with him like Murphy is doing, he's a much better front runner. Other players like Selby and even O'Sullivan tend to play unaffected by the scoreboard.

Whatever happens we're going to have a fantastic semi-final lineup, I just hope one of the evening matches goes really long to provide some entertainment alongside the City match!

Alemar

Trump vs. Murphy I still have a sneaky feeling Trump will find a way to pull away.
Judd rarely plays that badly - and he is 4-4. So it’s very likely he will improve.

How many times did he miss an easy shot in the middle cushion yesterday, 4 or 5? That’s something he usually does once a match or so

ChrisNelson

I don't think Judd's game is as suited to longer, multi-session matches as it is to best of 7/9/11 which is the case for a large part of the season, particularly in early rounds.

His game dips up and down too often and that is why he's only won this tournament once when realistically he should be a multiple World Champion already.

Robertson is really struggling to get going this morning against Wilson, he's slipped to 8-10 behind and Wilson is at the table on frame 19.

Selby looks like extending his lead to 8-2 in the other match.

Alemar

Unbelieveable, looks like Robertson is losing it. 8-11. Another semi-finalist is also known (Selby has a 9-2 lead so it’s all done).

ChrisNelson

Robertson has to win this mini safety battle and get back in to the frame, then go on and win it.

No way he's winning 5 in a row the way Wilson is playing.

ChrisNelson

Well, talk about going down without a whimper... Robertson, without a trip to the one-table setup since 2014 looks like he will have to wait another year.

This is his 18th World Championship and he's only reached the semi-finals on three occasions.

Alemar

12-8 Kyren and 10-2 Selby. Could anyone expect this?

9-7 McGill-Bingham is still far from over

ChrisNelson

It's not looking good for too much entertainment in the evening session.

The Williams - Selby match might not even need to come back on as Selby could well kill it off in this session.

And Trump - Murphy has an afternoon session as well so hopefully that will go 8-8 and at least provide some excitement later.

Robertson must have one of the most average overall records for someone who has won the title, when you look at most (not all) champions in recent years you can point to plenty of occasions when they've not won it but at least consistently been reaching SF's and Finals.

Robertson's record at the Crucible when scrutinised really isn't that great.

Alemar

13-3 victory over Mark Williams is seriously impressive, to be frank. Imperious performance from Selby

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
McGill-Bingham was a great match. Both played great snooker and did so well to keep themselves in until the very last frame. Both made so many good pots, too.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
McGill-Bingham was a great match. Both played great snooker and did so well to keep themselves in until the very last frame. Both made so many good pots, too.
Very entertaining match ! I was happy to see Bingham get the win !

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Can’t bare Murphy, he’s such an arrogant, porcine twat.

Alemar

11-9 Murphy so far. Very difficult situation for Judd, but let’s hope... he has chances still

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
11-9 Murphy so far. Very difficult situation for Judd, but let’s hope... he has chances still
Judd has done a great job in getting back into this. He won 4 out of the first 5 frames in this period, and he has really been pushing Shaun Murphy to play at his absolute best.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
What ? Murphy is one of the nicest guys on tour, Trump on the other hand is the arrogant one
I don’t like Trump either. I don’t know where you get that idea about Murphy, he’s a pompous, preachy, holier than thou prick.