Redcafe Snooker

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Ryan Day is a friend of mine. As far as I have read he didn't enter the qualifying even being ranked around 32 because he has a young and old close family and couldn't commit to it. I've not seen him for about a year now but he always puts his family first sometimes at the detriment of his ranking. I have no problem with people doing so at all but it seems a bit mercenary doing the qualifiers then pulling out.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Ryan Day is a friend of mine. As far as I have read he didn't enter the qualifying even being ranked around 32 because he has a young and old close family and couldn't commit to it. I've not seen him for about a year now but he always puts his family first sometimes at the detriment of his ranking. I have no problem with people doing so at all but it seems a bit mercenary doing the qualifiers then pulling out.
Actually he did play and lost to Jordan Brown in the final round of qualifying

ChrisNelson

The problem is with the rule which says he still gets his money, because it's classed as being earned for reaching the first round, rather than being a first round loser.

As Judd Trump has come out and said, World Snooker have gone to a lot of effort to make the event as safe as possible.

There will be no one in the front row, so plenty of distance from fans, and perspex screens between the players seats.

No doubt in my mind that Hamilton knew all along he had no intention of playing at the Crucible but thought he could line his pocket with £20K.

Whereas Scott Donaldson, who he beat in the final round of qualifying has to sit at home and watch with no prize money or chance of earning any.

Not to mention the fans who have tickets for the 2 sessions of the match, and Kyren Wilson who I think would have comfortably beaten Hamilton but now won't get the match practice and goes in to round 2 cold.

ChrisNelson

Judd currently 0-3 down to Tom Ford.

Was always a banana skin, only scraped through first round last year before going on to win the title.

Ford is a very solid tour player and familiar with the Crucible. No pressure on him playing against the defending champion.

Best Trump can do now is win the session 5-3 coming in to tonight - which is a problem in itself because it provides little time to sort himself out.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I fully support Hamilton's decision. They don't check the temperatures, masks are optional in the seats, Hamilton just didn't feel as safe as before.

Feel nothing for Donaldson or guy before. Just weren't good this time around. Hamilton took nothing from them.

Also, appears no more crowds from afternoon or tomorrow. Sucks for Anthony. :nervous:

Santos J

They don't check the temperatures, masks are optional in the seats, Hamilton just didn't feel as safe as before.
Yeah walked past this morning and there were 20+ staff outside and around too with no distancing of the sort going on. They've really just tried to wing it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I also fully support Hamilton’s decision. He’s a professional player so the money playing in qualifiers is his livelihood. its unfortunate in a way that he won and couldn’t play in the first round but he earned that money fair and square. It would be better if they had a way of qualifying backup players for this instance who don’t earn the qualifiers purse but get to substitute in if someone drops out. Could be based on frames won, aggregated points, world ranking, whatever.

RedChip

Do they have to wear a waistcoat and bow tie? You'd think times would have moved on from that.
Is it a rule or just a tradition? I like it, whatever it is. It kind of makes snooker seem very civilised and gentlemanly, which it mostly is (bar one or two Ali Carter snarls).

Baneofthegame

The problem is with the rule which says he still gets his money, because it's classed as being earned for reaching the first round, rather than being a first round loser.

As Judd Trump has come out and said, World Snooker have gone to a lot of effort to make the event as safe as possible.

There will be no one in the front row, so plenty of distance from fans, and perspex screens between the players seats.

No doubt in my mind that Hamilton knew all along he had no intention of playing at the Crucible but thought he could line his pocket with £20K.

Whereas Scott Donaldson, who he beat in the final round of qualifying has to sit at home and watch with no prize money or chance of earning any.

Not to mention the fans who have tickets for the 2 sessions of the match, and Kyren Wilson who I think would have comfortably beaten Hamilton but now won't get the match practice and goes in to round 2 cold.
Is he still not playing even though no spectators are present?

RedChip

I don't know. This is what I was wondering?
Our friend Google seems to think it is just a tradition. Surprising if true; you would imagine one of the more irreverent players like Ronnie might have turned up in a Hawain shirt at some point...

Zen

He's earned coin - £15k. Hamilton beat him for the extra £5k.... Kyren's been gifted £10k.

Is it a rule or just a tradition? I like it, whatever it is. It kind of makes snooker seem very civilised and gentlemanly, which it mostly is (bar one or two Ali Carter snarls).
Similar to golf - it's a dress code based on event/location for strictness etc.

SirAnderson

Robertson with a brilliant opening frame!

Glad to see they have put crowd clapping in like football, and they players can actually hear it!
It was pretty dull yesterday when there were brilliant shots going in and centuries, and not a peep! Makes a big difference for me, can imagine it can help the players too, or some not.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
That last frame was so tense , imagine playing for 6 hours and then fighting over the last 3 balls . I know hindsight is great but I don't like when players don't just keep making their opponents take snookered shots . In the last frame when Lisowski had him snookered & got 10 penalty points he should have continued giving it back rather than taking that on . A couple more fouls could have completely changed the game

Neo_Mufc

Sean Murphy starting to look a bit ropey. Missed a very easy black there.

Without the crowds, me thinks that a certain number of players should find it easier without the pressure.

Watching Ronnie recently, you could see he was playing as if it was a practice session poking balls in for fun.

ChrisNelson

Watched it on my phone at work while trying to describe to my colleague what a 147 is!

Fantastic break, cue ball on a string as usual with Higgins and I hope it's the catalyst for a comeback!

SirAnderson

Watched it on my phone at work while trying to describe to my colleague what a 147 is!

Fantastic break, cue ball on a string as usual with Higgins and I hope it's the catalyst for a comeback!
Yeah it was amazing! He is now the oldest player to do a maximum as well! Hopefully he can build on it, but Maflin not playing bad at all either.