Redcafe Snooker

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Remarkable how the players who came through in the early 90s are still so often the ones to beat. Feels like the UK Championship final with two players in their 20s going for the title should be the norm, rather than the massive exception it was.

It's like if Ray Reardon and Cliff Thorburn were still winning tournaments in the 2000s.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Remarkable how the players who came through in the early 90s are still so often the ones to beat. Feels like the UK Championship final with two players in their 20s going for the title should be the norm, rather than the massive exception it was.

It's like if Ray Reardon and Cliff Thorburn were still winning tournaments in the 2000s.
They’re the generation which professionalised the sport. They’re the generation that raised the standards so much more than any before it. They’re the generation that came from a time when everyone was snooker loopy and there were working mens clubs up and down the country with at least one snooker table in them and so many local amateur leagues and tournaments to get started in.

Most importantly of all though, they’re the first generation that has been able to take advantage of laser eye surgery. Usually by the time players reach the age of Sullivan, Higgins, Williams et al, their eye sight has deteriorated massively and their game fallen off a cliff. That’s avoidable now and in terms of fitness, that’s the main obstacle players in the sport faced.

Zen

Also the generation that, Judd aside, didn't have a more talented core come up after them.... in well, at this point, 2 generations.

Bertie Wooster

Dramatic ending to that 6th frame!

Luca now guaranteed a lead going into tonight but if he can win at least one of the last two frames then it's a big lead. If Higgins gets it back to 5-3 then it's less significant.

Bertie Wooster

It's a valid point they made about The Masters draw being made so early.

It's weird that the places for the top 32 for tomorrow's World Grand Prix were still being decided tonight, the day before the tournament; and yet the draw for the top 16 for The Masters, which only takes place in January, was made last weekend so anyone breaking into the top 16 after it (as Luca has done) misses out.

With a lengthy break for Christmas and New Year after the World Grand Prix, the places for the Masters could easily be left until after that tournament is ended (and do the draw during the final of it instead of during last week's final).

Bertie Wooster

Already a few high profile departures in the first round - although it's the top 32 players of the season so far so there's 'no easy games' for anyone.

Higgins, Wilson, Xintong, Williams all lost to players ranked lower - although only Wilson lost to someone outside the top 32 (Anthony Hamilton).

Great to see Neil Robertson back after his struggles with Tinnitus - and his game looked in decent shape. Jack Lisowski showed some bottle to overcome Mark Williams from 3-2 down, and keeps crediting Peter Ebdon with his latest attempt to improve his mental strength. Would absolutely love to see it work, but I'm not holding my breath.

Tomorrow sees the first game for Ronnie, and the new Scottish Open champion Luca Brecel.

ChrisNelson

I don't really think Zhao counts as a shock defeat in the first round. The UKC fell in to his hands because all the top players capitulated at the same time.

It's a strange setup that it's on the one year list and hence he was number one seed as winner of the only Triple Crown event of the season so far.

That way of doing things scattered the traditional stronger players all over the draw and Higgins was set for a second round meeting with Trump which would have been unusual, but Higgins lost anyway.

What's striking me at the moment is how many inconsistent players there are on tour. Even Trump, he can't string together 2 decent results this season despite the fact that the commentators can't resist keep reminding us he's been "far and away the best player on tour over the last 2 years".

The World Championship next year could be the hardest to call in a generation.

It is great to see Luca come through and look like he's fulfilling his potential. He has Jordan Brown in the first round who is a ranking event winner himself but Luca should have enough to beat him with the confidence he has at the moment.

ChrisNelson

Trump is woefully out of form, losing to players he really shouldn’t be.

Having said that Ford is a decent player, not many players have as many competitive 147’s as him!

Selby v Allen should be good and Selby will be boosted by Trump’s loss which assists him at the top of the rankings.

ChrisNelson

Bingham thrashes Maguire and O'Sullivan beats Jimmy Robertson to set up a fantastic semi-final lineup of 4 former World Champions!

Neil Robertson v Selby tonight and O'Sullivan v Bingham tomorrow.

Not sure where all this form was at the UK and Scottish Opens!

Bertie Wooster

Great effort from Robertson to overcome his health issues and play so well this week. And a very solid effort to dominate Selby in the semi final.

The other semi final pretty much hinges on which Ronnie turns up. Bingham's a solid, consistent performer who's very capable of winning if it's the 'I'm just here for a bit of fun' Ronnie who turns up, playing loose and not competing tactically. But hopefully the 'I'm here to win' O'Suillvan turns up, with the right attitude, and turns it on.

Either way, it should be a good game and either would set up a good final with Robbo.

Bondi77

They’re the generation which professionalised the sport. They’re the generation that raised the standards so much more than any before it. They’re the generation that came from a time when everyone was snooker loopy and there were working mens clubs up and down the country with at least one snooker table in them and so many local amateur leagues and tournaments to get started in.

Most importantly of all though, they’re the first generation that has been able to take advantage of laser eye surgery. Usually by the time players reach the age of Sullivan, Higgins, Williams et al, their eye sight has deteriorated massively and their game fallen off a cliff. That’s avoidable now and in terms of fitness, that’s the main obstacle players in the sport faced.
Did Ronnie and Higgins have eye surgery?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I didn't think Ronnie was going to come back from that, but once he got going, he couldn't be stopped. Ronnie really does epitomise the "form is temporary; class is permanent" statement.

ChrisNelson

The 2 snooker frame was the turning point.

You sometimes see players conceding these days with no snookers required! Although they do get fined for that.

And earlier in the match Ronnie had conceded with 1 required, although the balls were in awful positions and it would have taken ages to sort out, so I think he made the right decision.

He doesn't always bother on 2 but when he did, he tied Robertson up in knots, with some fantastic shots, and the one that got the important foul was sensational.

And the difference at the end of that session between 5-3 Robertson and 4-4 was huge. Robertson's body language at the end of the first session was not great.

And in the end Ronnie just pulled away right at the end, winning frames 13-16 to go within 1 then finishing the job after Robertson had pulled another back.

Fantastic way to end the snooker calendar year.

Bertie Wooster

As a bit of bonus Snooker, the UK Seniors have started today on BBC (red button and Internet).

Michael Judge has held the title since 2019 - but only because it hasn't been competed since then due to covid. He played in the first game here and lost (to Peter Lines) so his 'lengthy' run as champion has finally ended.

It's still 'over 40' for the seniors, which seems too young given how many over 40's are still on the main tour - and in the top 32! That makes it really difficult for real seniors such as Cliff Thorburn and Tony Knowles and is usually won by someone still in and around the main tour.

A 'senior' circuit in Snooker probably needs to be above 45, maybe even 50+.

Last edited:

ChrisNelson

There's also Championship League snooker on FreeSports but it's a bit of a waste of time to be honest, short matches with no crowd and barely bothered players.

The Seniors is generally rubbish because as you say it tends to be dominated by players who are still competing on the main tour.

They need to make it exclusively for players who aren't on the main tour, perhaps even make it 2 years since they've played.

At least they haven't got Dennis Taylor commentating over the PA system which was an insane decision someone came up with once.

Bertie Wooster

There's also Championship League snooker on FreeSports but it's a bit of a waste of time to be honest, short matches with no crowd and barely bothered players.

The Seniors is generally rubbish because as you say it tends to be dominated by players who are still competing on the main tour.

They need to make it exclusively for players who aren't on the main tour, perhaps even make it 2 years since they've played.

At least they haven't got Dennis Taylor commentating over the PA system which was an insane decision someone came up with once.
:lol:

I'm glad I missed that. Sounds an awful gimmick.

Yeah, good point about restricting it to players who aren't on the main tour. I think that's more important than whether the minimum age is 40, 45, etc. As Jimmy White is 59, so age wise he's appropriate, but he's still always allowed on the main tour so he has a big advantage compared to the other seniors who've been off the professional circuit for years and who are the kind the tournaments should really be for.

Last edited:

ChrisNelson

:lol:

I'm glad I missed that. Sounds an awful gimmick.

Yeah, good point about restricting it to players who aren't on the main tour. I think that's more important than whether the minimum age is 40, 45, etc. As Jimmy White is 59, so age wise he's appropriate, but he's still always allowed on the main tour so he has a big advantage compared to the other seniors who've been off the professional circuit for years and who are the kind the tournaments should really be for.
Honestly it was dreadful! I can't find any clips, but the commentary was literally being streamed out on to the speakers.

I can't believe the players accepted it, even if he was quiet during shots obviously.

And even for the fans, I've never bought one of those commentary earpieces and I can't believe how popular they are.

I go to watch live snooker to immerse myself in the atmosphere and trust my own knowledge of the sport, like when snookers are required, why someone is putting a ball safe etc... if you're going to have someone in your ear explaining it all you may as well stop at home!

A snooker venue should be totally quiet unless a good shot is played or a frame won.

Pablo76

Great to see Mark Williams yesterday and John Higgins today, both 46 years old, rolling back the years, playing amazing snooker and absolutely annihilating the brilliant young Chinese superstars at the UK Masters.

John must be right up there with the best players to ever pick up a cue, can’t wait to see them play each other in the quarter final on Thursday.

Wilt

Ronnie needs his minces testing, missing everywhere …. Jack L can win this

edit: they’re both missing

Bertie Wooster

Ronnie needs his minces testing, missing everywhere …. Jack L can win this

edit: they’re both missing
Yeah, supporting Jack throughout his career is as frustrating as following United these days.

He's got the potential but is so frustratingly inconsistent and such a bottler.

He's really missed a trick these first 3 frames and definitely needs to win this next frame.

ChrisNelson

Lisowski is either really good or really bad. See also Barry Hawkins! Along with others it has to be said.

Yesterday we saw the best Hawkins, today we saw the worst Lisowski.

Ronnie O'Sullivan does not need to be presented with chances to beat you, he can create his own.

It's a real shame that O'Sullivan vs. Robertson is an afternoon match on Thursday as a lot of people will miss it, I just hope the Thunder turns up and gives him a good game.

Maguire, another epitome of inconsistency plays tonight against the reigning World Champion, Mark Selby.

ChrisNelson

Trump v Allen this afternoon and I have a feeling Allen will have to be at the very top of his game and hope for a drop-off from Trump to win.

Appreciate Allen is a former winner and a top player but with his off-table problems I just fancy Trump.

Wilson (K) v Bingham tonight is perhaps the most difficult match to call of the entire round.

Could all come down to who gets a good start in that one, looking forward to it.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Got tickets for all day tomorrow. Superb line up and my first time seeing Ronnie.

ChrisNelson

I was buzzing the first time I saw him, seen him a few times since in various venues and obviously he always gets the crowd on his side.

It's even more exaggerated in London, I hope you won't be encouraging the crowd to be like the darts crowd was at Ally Pally recently, i.e. braindead :lol:!

Allen looking good to go 5-3 up against Trump who needs snookers.

ChrisNelson

It's been a great tournament so far, fantastic start to the calendar year for snooker.

I hope they're saving some excitement for Sheffield though!

As you say what a lineup today with I calculate 14 World Titles between the 4 players?

@Utd heap have a great day mate!