Redcafe Snooker

massey

To be honest, Luca Brecel is bang average, I've never rated him and feel his game is very up and down/lacks consistency.

Even with the World Championship win it felt like a fluke/someone playing out of their skin. Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't win another major trophy.
you don't win a world championship by being bang average it's the longest format in snooker granted he made some great comebacks but his play was different class at times he's just not taking things seriously now which seems to be his personality maybe one day it will click,as for his opponent though lisowski its the battle to win something that ties him down on his day looks the best potter in the game and electric but has constant brain farts even in the winning frame today that last safety he could have been well punished.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
you don't win a world championship by being bang average it's the longest format in snooker granted he made some great comebacks but his play was different class at times he's just not taking things seriously now which seems to be his personality maybe one day it will click,as for his opponent though lisowski its the battle to win something that ties him down on his day looks the best potter in the game and electric but has constant brain farts even in the winning frame today that last safety he could have been well punished.
Lisowski is a bluffer as well tbh.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
It's almost as if on the day if you play well and pot balls you can win :eek:

MemphisDepay

Supports
Rangers and Celtic
I like snooker on the bbc but as usual they overhype everything. This ‘wonderful venue, like no other, the atmosphere is incredible’ stuff, which they’ll then trot out for the worlds and the U.K. championship when it comes around again.

Bertie Wooster

I like snooker on the bbc but as usual they overhype everything. This ‘wonderful venue, like no other, the atmosphere is incredible’ stuff, which they’ll then trot out for the worlds and the U.K. championship when it comes around again.
I agree about the irritation of overhyping of 'atmosphere / fans' that you get - but I think that applies to so much of sport, not just Snooker on the BBC.

As regards the BBC tournaments, although they do the usual overhyping, it is also noticeable that those tournaments you name have (now at least) established venues that regularly host it - Ally Pally, Crucible, Barbican Centre. I think that annual return does help generate a 'feel' more than the ones that keep getting moved around all over the place.

Wilt

From sublime O’Sullivan to an interview with fatty Murphy and his new hair style ….such a cnut :lol:

ChrisNelson

Personally I'd argue Ronnie is 10x the cnut that Murphy is!

Doesn't look like Ding is even going to lay a glove on him today and I can't see the winner of Robertson v Hawkins doing so either so it looks like it will be the semi-final at least before he's tested.

ChrisNelson

Argue away, very interested to hear how you come to that conclusion.
You think Ronnie is a good person? All he ever does is complain about the sport which has made him rich.

One moment he's enjoying snooker the next he's not bothered if he never picks up a cue again. The guy is an absolute tool.

At least Murphy tries to do what he can to develop the sport and deal with the issues as part of various player led boards.

Ronnie just throws his toys out of the pram and goes to the corner to sulk.

I could go on but I'd rather limit the time I waste talking about him.

Wilt

You think Ronnie is a good person? All he ever does is complain about the sport which has made him rich.

One moment he's enjoying snooker the next he's not bothered if he never picks up a cue again. The guy is an absolute tool.

At least Murphy tries to do what he can to develop the sport and deal with the issues as part of various player led boards.

Where did I say “Ronnie is a good person” ? ….just make it up as you go ?

Without dispute O’Sullivan is the worlds greatest cue man and done more to promote the game than any other player alive just by his pure genius.

It’s well documented O’Sullivan suffers from depression despite which he still continues to dominate the sport for more than three decades. There’s a very fine line between genius and madness which sometimes O’Sullivan does cross.

Murphy and O’Sullivan are poles apart with O’Sullivan a very private person, whereas as Hendry has mentioned more than once “Murphy will do anything to be on TV”.

ChrisNelson

Where did I say “Ronnie is a good person” ? ….just make it up as you go ?

Without dispute O’Sullivan is the worlds greatest cue man and done more to promote the game than any other player alive just by his pure genius.

It’s well documented O’Sullivan suffers from depression despite which he still continues to dominate the sport for more than three decades. There’s a very fine line between genius and madness which sometimes O’Sullivan does cross.

Murphy and O’Sullivan are poles apart with O’Sullivan a very private person, whereas as Hendry has mentioned more than once “Murphy will do anything to be on TV”.
To be fair I never said you called him a good person, I questioned if you thought it, there's a difference.

But well done on dropping the D word in to end the argument.

Ainu

The thing with Ronnie is, take him away from "official" snooker interviews (pre and post match and all that stuff), and he suddenly becomes a different person. In his America Hustle documentary or for example on Hendry's YT channel he comes across as a surprisingly nice guy, or even when he's commentating on Eurosport. It's the high pressure environments that seem to bring out the worst in him.

Is he a good person? Who knows? But I don't think he's as terrible as you're making him out to be.

ChrisNelson

Not seen Ronnie miss this many in a session, or match for a long time.

It's good.

However I'm not sure Hawkins is playing well enough to capitalise.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Shaun Murphy is unwatchable. Pompous, passive aggressive, arrogant, porcine cnut.

predator

Youth NITK
Mark Allen absolute class sir. Never used to be too fond of him but he's one of my favourite players and has been for a year or two now. His commentary is mint and he just seems like a nice guy.

Also Selby off his seat congratulating him was nice to see. A lot of people dislike Selby but he is one of the nicest guys on the circuit and is talked highly of by his peers. Ronnie would've probably stayed seated.

MemphisDepay

Supports
Rangers and Celtic
Mark Allen absolute class sir. Never used to be too fond of him but he's one of my favourite players and has been for a year or two now. His commentary is mint and he just seems like a nice guy.

Also Selby off his seat congratulating him was nice to see. A lot of people dislike Selby but he is one of the nicest guys on the circuit and is talked highly of by his peers. Ronnie would've probably stayed seated.
He stood up for Ding the other day

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I watch snooker infrequently nowadays, and every time I do Mark Allen has either lost or gained about 3 stone

Bondi77

Do they sell alcohol at the snooker....I am sure there must be a few darts fans in the crowd.

Wilt

If Murphy could play like he preaches he might have given O’Sullivan a game

sallycinnamin

Ronnie forgotten the shoes playing with the runners on. Brought exhibition and a touch of practice snooker to a semi-final. At 3-2 he just went that's enough of that good luck. Then again had issues with the heels of his feet at UK Open in Nov 23 so it must have been allowed again.

Last edited:
Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Ronnie…

"I don't feel that old. I feel young in my mind. I feel a lot younger round the table when I play these younger players. They look old and their brains are quite slow. I still feel my brain is pretty quick round the snooker table, which is enough.

"They need to get their acts together because I am going blind, have got a dodgy arm and they still can't beat me." :lol:

Bertie Wooster

Ronnie…

"I don't feel that old. I feel young in my mind. I feel a lot younger round the table when I play these younger players. They look old and their brains are quite slow. I still feel my brain is pretty quick round the snooker table, which is enough.

"They need to get their acts together because I am going blind, have got a dodgy arm and they still can't beat me." :lol:
Yeah, he was in good form in the interviews - including the studio one. :lol:

I don't take anything he says seriously, as he can contradict himself within the same sentence and mostly just takes the contrary view to the tone of what he's been asked (if it's an upbeat question, he'll respond negatively; if it's a negative question, he'll claim positivity!)

But he's rarely dull and there's times, like today, when he comes out with some great lines. :lol:

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

I don't take anything he says seriously, as he can contradict himself within the same sentence and mostly just takes the contrary view to the tone of what he's been asked (if it's an upbeat question, he'll respond negatively; if it's a negative question, he'll claim positivity!)

But he's rarely dull and there's times, like today, when he comes out with some great lines. :lol:
Yip. I think there’s an element of truthfulness and frustration in it though… as a kid, he’d have watched the new players nudge out the old guard, then was part of a group that did the same himself. That’s the usual cycle in sports?

I thinks he’s thinking “why aren‘t players coming up and pushing me out”? The only players with this many wins/longevity are Fred and Joe Davis but that’s for a different reason… even Davis (S) and Hendry got overtaken.

The answer is he’s THAT good. And with every year/title, that gap (in greatness) is getting bigger. We‘re in Woods, Jordan, Brady territory.

Bertie Wooster

Yip. I think there’s an element of truthfulness and frustration in it though… as a kid, he’d have watched the new players nudge out the old guard, then was part of a group that did the same himself. That’s the usual cycle in sports?

I thinks he’s thinking “why aren‘t players coming up and pushing me out”? The only players with this many wins/longevity are Fred and Joe Davis but that’s for a different reason… even Davis (S) and Hendry got overtaken.

The answer is he’s THAT good. And with every year/title, that gap (in greatness) is getting bigger. We‘re in Woods, Jordan, Brady territory.
Yeah, it's a hell of an achievement.

Even more so because he seemed the kind of flawed genius that would burn himself out quickly, rather than keep the high standard for decades.

The likes of Davis and Hendry seemed the kind of ultra committed, obsessed with winning players that would still be winning things at this age. But O'Sullivan seemed the kind of Alex Higgins, George Best, Ronaldinho type who'd quickly go off track. To have kept it going and still be achieving all that he is at 48 really is an amazing effort.

Baneofthegame

Just sometimes feel the whole “all the new players are shit” thing gets a bit repetitive and annoying.