Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
So any time a player touches the ball deliberately it's a new phase of play?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Na
Not offside imo. Weve seen it with defenders who have a striker miles offside behind him, go to play the ball, miss it and that action leaves striker onside.
Kane v Liverpool a few years ago comes to mind
Kane v Liverpool was onside because it was played to him by a Liverpool player. Mings was trying to take the ball away from where Rodri was.

Josep Dowling

Can a passing VAR advocate please explain why our game vs Burnley stopped for 6 minutes to decide how badly Luke Shaw had fouled someone in an incident where no goal was scored yet didn’t spend a second looking at the most obvious offside in the history of offsides before City scored a goal vs Villa tonight?
I’m an advocate of VAR but unfortunately the referees using it don’t have a clue. They need to be held accountable for their poor decisions.

arnie_ni

That explanation given based on the rule is total crap,.how does he not gain an advantage from being offside?

cj_sparky

The Referees Laws of the game, are written in such a vague way they can be interpreted in many ways and never be wrong.

padr81

Supports
Man City
The VAR was spot on, tons of goals have been scored like that. Its a silly rule but lets not say City are the first club to score from it.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
The VAR was spot on, tons of goals have been scored like that. Its a silly rule but lets not say City are the first club to score from it.
"Tons"? Got an example? I don't recall a single one.

cyberman

Kane v Liverpool was onside because it was played to him by a Liverpool player. Mings was trying to take the ball away from where Rodri was.
I dont think the direction of the ball comes into it. Kane was on because Lovren made an attempt to play the ball. This just looks strange because of the distance of the offside.
Mings wasnt even trying to clear it, he was chesting it down and controlling it.
The problem for Mings is he wasnt going anywhere and if thats offside then how long can Mings hold it until Rodri can tackle him?
If hes tackling Mings right away its offside imo. Mings is in possession of the ball so the ball in isnt a factor (i think?)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I dont think the direction of the ball comes into it. Kane was on because Lovren made an attempt to play the ball. This just looks strange because of the distance of the offside.
Mings wasnt even trying to clear it, he was chesting it down and controlling it.
The problem for Mings is he wasnt going anywhere and if thats offside then how long can Mings hold it until Rodri can tackle him?
If hes tackling Mings right away its offside imo. Mings is in possession of the ball so the ball in isnt a factor (i think?)
Which is exactly what happened

Cardozo

So if he heads it to the keeper and it’s intercepted then he’s not offside?

What if he deliberately tries to play it and it skims through off his foot?

I don’t understand the logic of the rule. When did this ‘phase’ of play become a thing? I feel old.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

I would say he quite clearly stole it rather than received it.

arnie_ni

He didn't get it under control because rodri tackled him before he could. The chest control wasn't completed.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
That's hilarious really and I don't mean its solely done to benefit City, the referees are just incompetent. It just happened that City benefited tonight. Could be anyone.

VAR can spot:

1) Mane's armpit being offside vs Everton (wtf lol)
2) A player's finger making him offside in a frame by frame analysis
3) Shaw fouling someone on one end and calling the play back after a counter attack and possible red card for the other team

But they can't spot:

1) A player coming back from an offside position, not only coming back but actively tackling the guy who is trying to control the ball in the same phase of play :lol:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I don’t get it, surely he gained a huge advantage by being offside therefore he is?

Surely the new phase of play doesn’t count if he tackles him before he actually properly controls it?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

I would say he quite clearly stole it rather than received it.
Well, exactly. We all know that if a Villa player had controlled the ball and passed it to Rodri then he wouldn’t be offside. We also all know that that didn’t happen. All of us but not John Moss. Because VAR completely failed to point out the bleeding obvious to him. After he failed to make a bleeding obvious call because of VAR.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
I hate to be a conspiracy theorist, but it feels like they're trying to manufacture a more exciting title race or something. It just smacks of corruption.

thebelfastboy

Receiving it would be for example where ming's controls it and plays a pass back to the keeper which gets intercepted. That would be fine.

But what happened tonight is crazy.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
But Mings has plenty of time to get it away.
I think its close but I would say Mings is tackled rather than Rodri being offside for a pass he didnt receive
This doesn't make sense at all. Of course Mings could have just headed it away. Why should he just give up the ball like that? He knows he's got plenty of time because there's no one anywhere near him, apart from the bloke that's 30 yards offside.

He chests the ball down and takes 1 touch with his left foot before he is tackled by the bloke only able to tackle him by being in an offside position.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I don’t get it, surely he gained a huge advantage by being offside therefore he is?

Surely the new phase of play doesn’t count if he tackles him before he actually properly controls it?
He took two touches (a chest and a foot) before Rodri swipes it off his foot. How many touches does he get before you call it control?

To me, calling a chest control seems a bit much but once the player also uses his foot to direct the ball afterward it has to be control/possession. And once that happens, the new phase of play has started so it doesn't matter if Rodri was previously offside or if he gains an advantage from having been previously offside.

padr81

Supports
Man City
That's hilarious really and I don't mean its solely done to benefit City, the referees are just incompetent. It just happened that City benefited tonight. Could be anyone.

VAR can spot:

1) Mane's armpit being offside vs Everton (wtf lol)
2) A player's finger making him offside in a frame by frame analysis
3) Shaw fouling someone on one end and calling the play back after a counter attack and possible red card for the other team

But they can't spot:

1) A player coming back from an offside position, not only coming back but actively tackling the guy who is trying to control the ball in the same phase of play :lol:
Because he wasn't offside after Mings took down the ball. Its nothing to do with VAR.

hubbuh

That's an absolute farce. Absolute bullshit of the highest order. Dean Smith should kick the feck off.