Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

padr81

Supports
Man City
If you look at the rule
Look at the clip you sent
and don't understand why it's offside

then what's the point of trying to explain it further ?

I mean, which part of deliberately don't you understand ?
I know why both were onside, its right there in the rule.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If Mings clears it instead of chesting it down, Rodri's position doesn't affect the play. If Mings doesn't feck up the chest control, Rodri's position doesn't affect the play

Rodri's position affects the play because Mings chests it down - deliberate play - and fecks it up

Ergo, he's not offside

It's a bit of a loophole in the rule and something that should be looked at, but this is quite simply a case of a big cock up by the defender.

cyberman

Why does he need to clear it? The player in question is miles offside. As far as Mings is concerned he has time to chest and control it as Rodri shouldn't even interfere with that phase of play. Or he can, but it should be flagged offside.
Clear it is just another way of saying playing the ball

UncleBob

You've got some cheek calling a person thick.
Its not deliberately passing the ball you thick cnut its deliberately PLAYING the ball.
Passing/Heading, it makes feck all difference to the context.

The rule isn't difficult to understand, showing clips of referees fecking up and pretending that "it's the rule" is beyond any intelligent life form.

The clip from Yankland is offside, an obvious one as well.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If Mings clears it instead of chesting it down, Rodri's position doesn't affect the play. Mings doesn't feck up the chest control, Rodri's position doesn't affect the play

Rodri's position affects the play because Mings chests it down - deliberate play - and fecks it up

Ergo, he's not offside

It's a bit of a loophole in the rule and something that should be looked at, but this is quite simply a case of a big cock up by the defender.
What are you talking about? Mings doesn’t feck anything up. His chest control is fine. He controls the ball well. Then gets tackled.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
If Mings clears it instead of chesting it down, Rodri's position doesn't affect the play. If Mings doesn't feck up the chest control, Rodri's position doesn't affect the play

Ergo, he's not offside

What about this (separate) rule?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Defenders should just jump and catch the ball from now on if anyone’s behind them. Just take the offside free kick and don’t risk this nonsense happening again

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What are you talking about? Mings doesn’t feck anything up. His chest control is fine. He controls the ball well. Then gets tackled.
He doesn't though. He tries chesting it down in front and the ball escapes to the side, which is why Rodri is in position to tackle him. But either way it doesn't matter. Rodri doesn't affect his ability to make the play. Whether he's worried about Rodri or not, does not matter

Unfair loophole in the rule, but that's how the rule works

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
The bitching about the amount of pens we've had seems to have had the desired effect.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Passing/Heading, it makes feck all difference to the context.

The rule isn't difficult to understand, showing clips of referees fecking up and pretending that "it's the rule" is beyond any intelligent life form.

The clip from Yankland is offside, an obvious one as well.
Well done for that calm response to THAT post.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Read it again. It specifically mentions affecting the defender's line of sight or challening him for the ball. Rodri does neither. The challenge happens after Mings has made a deliberate play

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Defenders should just jump and catch the ball from now on if anyone’s behind them. Just take the offside free kick and don’t risk this nonsense happening again
:lol:

I don’t get why people are saying Mings should head it clear, he doesn’t need to, the lad behind him is offside by a mile.

Could it not fall into almost an ‘advantage’ situation? Or am I reading too much into it?

I dunno, I’m more cross about the Fred one, Fred does a terrific bit of midfield play by putting his body in a position to bring it in with his right foot, and gets kicked to the ground.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Not sure how that Fred one wasn't called back for a pen, it's blatant.
It’s another classic VAR induced frustration. In real time there’s no problem with the ref missing that. They can almost sense whether or not Fred has been fouled. Even the sound of the challenge can help an experienced ref make a judgement call. Was there enough contact to knock him over? Or is he trying to make a meal out of minimal contact? And most sensible fans would have absolutely no problem with the decision, one way or another.

But in the VAR era, where every big call gets the scrutiny of multiple slo mo replays then that has to be a penalty. So it’s fecking infuriating that it’s not.

I know I’m like a broken record about VAR but it’s such a load of bullshit. I like football a lot and this wankery is ruining the game, it really is. Every bloody game we play has maddening incidents in them. It’s not right.

padr81

Supports
Man City

He challenged him after he played the ball. If he had ran back and jumped with him or shouldered him while chesting the ball he's offside. Rodri takes the ball from his feet not from his chest. So he played the ball with his chest to his feet. Then Rodri tackled him (received the ball). Rodri doesn't prevent him doing anything until he's already chested it. He's under zero pressure from Rodri nor is Rodri blocking his field of view or preventing anything when he played the ball.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
One thing... Are you only offside when you touch the ball? Because the ball gets played forward to Rodri and Rodri is moving towards it... But does that matter?

cyberman

:lol:

I don’t get why people are saying Mings should head it clear, he doesn’t need to, the lad behind him is offside by a mile.

Could it not fall into almost an ‘advantage’ situation? Or am I reading too much into it?

I dunno, I’m more cross about the Fred one, Fred does a terrific bit of midfield play by putting his body in a position to bring it in with his right foot, and gets kicked to the ground.
Its because hes chosen to take it down and play it out, Rodri didnt obstruct his options.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He doesn't though. He tries chesting it down in front and the ball escapes to the side, which is why Rodri is in position to tackle him. But either way it doesn't matter. Rodri doesn't affect his ability to make the play. Whether he's worried about Rodri or not, does not matter

Unfair loophole in the rule, but that's how the rule works
Of course he bloody does! He tackles him!

NinjaFletch

On the Ming's one I am 100% convinced that that is the correct call based on the laws of the game.

Ming's touch is without doubt a deliberate touch, which starts a new phase of offside, and Rodri can't be offside in it because the last touch was from a Villa player.

The problem is the law is appallingly written, rather than an issue of interpretation by VAR.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It’s another classic VAR induced frustration. In real time there’s no problem with the ref missing that. They can almost sense whether or not Fred has been fouled. Even the sound of the challenge can help an experienced ref make a judgement call. Was there enough contact to knock him over? Or is he trying to make a meal of minimal contact? And most sensible fans would have absolutely no problem with the decision, one way or another.

But in the VAR era, where every big call gets the scrutiny of multiple slo mo replays then that has to be a penalty. So it’s fecking infuriating that it’s not.

I know I’m like a broken record about VAR but it’s such a load of bullshit. I like football a lot and this wankery is ruining the game, it really is. Every bloody game we play has maddening incidents in them. It’s not right.
Fully agree, it’s a shit show

cyberman

But he barely got a chance to do that, chests it and he is being tackled.
He did, the ball gets away from him. Just because he fecked it up doesnt mean he couldn't do it.
Not just that but its a good bit away from him, looking at it again.

Giggsyking

The VAR was spot on, tons of goals have been scored like that. Its a silly rule but lets not say City are the first club to score from it.
I thought Shity fans believe in conspiracy that is helping united, now VAR made the right call? Hypocrites!

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
The bitching about the amount of pens we've had seems to have had the desired effect.
I know right. It's not even subtle. They don't even bother to review it. Ref just says no because he personally buys into the 'it's impossible' for United to get a penalty. It's rather corrupt when twice in a row after those comments came out they just removed a perfectly fine goal for no reason without explanation or repercussions then the next game a clear penalty happens and once again VAR is instructed to look the other way. It hasn't been this selective with VAR up until this point. This is just a form of corruption in front of our eyes.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
One thing... Are you only offside when you touch the ball? Because the ball gets played forward to Rodri and Rodri is moving towards it... But does that matter?
Rodri was too far from the ball to matter is my guess