Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He took two touches (a chest and a foot) before Rodri swipes it off his foot. How many touches does he get before you call it control?

To me, calling a chest control seems a bit much but once the player also uses his foot to direct the ball afterward it has to be control/possession. And once that happens, the new phase of play has started so it doesn't matter if Rodri was previously offside or if he gains an advantage from having been previously offside.
Hmm seems like a ridiculous rule, I’m on the fence on this. The defenders second touch was to try and get away from the offside player wasn’t t?

Ultimately he hugely benefited from being offside so it’s very frustrating.

cyberman

This doesn't make sense at all. Of course Mings could have just headed it away. Why should he just give up the ball like that? He knows he's got plenty of time because there's no one anywhere near him, apart from the bloke that's 30 yards offside.

He chests the ball down and takes 1 touch with his left foot before he is tackled by the bloke only able to tackle him by being in an offside position.
Because he has time to clear it and he doesnt, he hangs on to it.
Look, i think it should be offside but with the examples of what happened in the past and the fact VAR saw it and ruled it in, it has to be in the interpretation of the law.
Its either that or they completley missed it which didnt happen, lets be honest.

padr81

Supports
Man City
So another shit decision makes tonights shit decision ok ?
They are CORRECT decisions... the rule is stupid (which I've sad already) but the decisions are correct implementation of said rule.

twitter thread suggester
Player offside, defender plays the ball, leads to goal. Right here.... Mings deliberately played the ball.
:lol: yeah that obscure MLS goal was definitely the one you had in mind when you said tons.

padr81

Supports
Man City
You are aware that Rodri tackled Mings, right? You did watch the game?
Did Mings take down the ball? If yes, then he deliberately played the ball and Rodri wasn't offside, its not rocket science the rule was right there on the screen. Stupid rule? Yes, correct decision? Yes.

padr81

Supports
Man City
:lol: yeah that obscure MLS goal was definitely the one you had in mind when you said tons.
I googled it, I'm sure theres tons more. So have you anyway to back up him being offside because I pretty clearly showed why he was on, if you watch the video the law comes up on screen just before the highlight. Maybe read it and get back to me with which part of it makes Rodri offside!

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He made a deliberate attempt to control the ball. That's what matters.
But Rodri is there trying to tackle him as the ball is falling to the floor.

Maybe the rule needs looking at? I dunno, anyway gonna watch the game now and not worry about Man City. You enjoy arguing.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
That's hilarious really and I don't mean its solely done to benefit City, the referees are just incompetent. It just happened that City benefited tonight. Could be anyone.

VAR can spot:

1) Mane's armpit being offside vs Everton (wtf lol)
2) A player's finger making him offside in a frame by frame analysis
3) Shaw fouling someone on one end and calling the play back after a counter attack and possible red card for the other team

But they can't spot:

1) A player coming back from an offside position, not only coming back but actively tackling the guy who is trying to control the ball in the same phase of play :lol:
They just make it up.

This season we had a McGinn 20 yard ruled out at Arsenal because Barkley was stood infront of the keeper yet I've seen goals in recent weeks given in identical situaitons.

We also have that goal at West Ham ruled out due to Watkins shoulder being offside because the West Ham defender pretty much had him in a headlock and was pushing him forward.

They'll be many examples of offside being called for what wasn't given tonight because it is the right decision.

HJ12

So opposing teams could now have players hang offside, let their teammates hoof it upfield, then immediately tackle the defender once he touches and "controls" it? Daft rule.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
But Rodri is there trying to tackle him as the ball is falling to the floor.

Maybe the rule needs looking at? I dunno, anyway gonna watch the game now and not worry about Man City. You enjoy arguing.
Because Mings has touched the ball and is no longer offside.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Can you quote the rule ?
You could use google but here it is.

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent deliberately playing the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Look, i think it should be offside but with the examples of what happened in the past and the fact VAR saw it and ruled it in, it has to be in the interpretation of the law.
Its either that or they completley missed it which didnt happen, lets be honest.
Fair play on being honest. Its a shitty rule but it is the rule.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
We have seen tonnes of offsides not given for this reason. They just tend to involve much more obvious plays of the ball.

If this interpretation was the norm then it would mean that players coming back from offside positions could tackle their opponent almost as soon as they've tried to control the ball. That certainly isn't how the rule has generally been interpreted up to now. In fact we've seen a lot more obvious plays of the ball be ignored in the past.

padr81

Supports
Man City
The defender tries to intercept a pass,.it goes to a player in an offside position who gains a clear advantage from being offside.

It should also be given offside
No because its a deflection but if a defender tries to pass a ball he's intercepting then yes because he played the ball under his control. The second Mings chest control was at his feet and under his control, Mings had played the ball, Rodri was onside.

Anustart89

What absolute bollox. Defenders make a “deliberate act to play the ball” against offside attackers all the time. They’re still fecking offside!
Yeah, blocking a shot is surely a "deliberate act of playing the ball" as well, but that doesn't count.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
No because its a deflection but if a defender tries to pass a ball he's intercepting then yes because he played the ball under his control. The second Mings chest control was at his feet and under his control, Mings had played the ball, Rodri was onside.
Not even that, the second he makes a deliberate attempt to control the ball he plays Rodri onside.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The rule has been in place for a couple of years now. It just needed a sufficiently high enough profile incident to demonstrate how silly it is before IFAB revisit the crock of shit they’ve concocted.

NinjaFletch

And that's a blatant penalty.

Just get rid of it, we're not getting anymore decisions right than we were before.

padr81

Supports
Man City
So why do you struggle so badly to understand it ?
Every time same rubbish from you. What part do I not understand Einstein? Gonna be impressed by this from a man who can't follow a simple timeline without making shit up and twisting things for conspiracy theories.

El Zoido

Yeah, blocking a shot is surely a "deliberate act of playing the ball" as well, but that doesn't count.
And what about if a player is stood offside in the six yard box and the keeper spills a shot from another player and the offside player taps it in, is that onside too? Since the keeper made a “deliberate act of playing the ball.”

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Why does he need to clear it? The player in question is miles offside. As far as Mings is concerned he has time to chest and control it as Rodri shouldn't even interfere with that phase of play. Or he can, but it should be flagged offside.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Kicked Fred's foot. A clear pen. "Not enough contact" is never a defence either, it'd be a freekick all day long.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
And what about if a player is stood offside in the six yard box and the keeper spills a shot from another player and the offside player taps it in, is that onside too? Since the keeper made a “deliberate act of playing the ball.”
Apparently saves are judged differently.

UncleBob

Every time same rubbish from you. What part do I not understand Einstein?
If you look at the rule
Look at the clip you sent
and don't understand why it's offside

then what's the point of trying to explain it further ?

I mean, which part of deliberately don't you understand ?