Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

OldSchoolManc

Today’s VAR official is one Stuart Atwell.
He somehow stayed in a job after giving a goal that never even entered the net

ROFLUTION

How about a storm everything VAR related fb-group? Like that Storm area51 group :lol: just storm the serverroom, the VAR boots, everything.

Just a piss-take obviously, but would be nice to make VAR feel the heat

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If martial went down instead of retaliating, would lamela off getting a red?
Next time he'll go down with the initial contact, and then Lamela gets a red.
Still stupid to shove someone in the face, everyone knows that's a red, but an elbow into the face is going to upset you.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
The technology is a TV screen. It can’t work without somebody watching it. I don’t know how many times I’ve said it but VAR is not a sentient being. It’s a monitor.
So when people are saying VAR is ruining the game, they are actually blaming the monitor?

Cpt Negative

No mention of spurs players being in the area in the goal kick for the third? Shambles of decisions against us this year

Dan_F

I don’t really understand why they wouldn’t ask the ref to go and check the video for Lamela’s elbow. Lamela has elbowed martial as a reaction to something that happened, so it’s no different.

Reds should be left for actual violence. I never understood why Beckham got sent off in 98 for a reaction, when we see players shoving each other in reaction all the time.

El Zoido

I just don’t get the decision to send Martial off and not Lamela. It’s not about making excuses, we were rubbish regardless, but the decision was at 2-1. It absolutely has affected the game.

ROFLUTION

4 games in and we've had a strange VAR call in every single one of them. Disgrace really.

acnumber9

So when people are saying VAR is ruining the game, they are actually blaming the monitor?
No they’re blaming VAR. Which stands for Video Assistant Referee. VAR can’t exist without the referee so therefore if that ref gets it wrong, it’s VAR’s fault.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

I guess that's the gist of the logic they used.

padr81

Supports
Man City
The technology is a TV screen. It can’t work without somebody watching it. I don’t know how many times I’ve said it but VAR is not a sentient being. It’s a monitor.
The R is a sentient being. V - Video, A - Assisted, R - Referee

OneUnited24

What Martial did is regularly given as a red card.

The problem is Lamela not being punished for doing what he did first.
100%. Martial was stupid but as someone on sky said ‘it’s two yellows or two reds. Not 1 of either”

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yes. So people saying ‘it’s not VAR it’s the refs’ are being stupid. Because VAR is just a ref watching TV.
Agreed. I think we should be treating VAR as "the VAR" just like "the linesman" etc..

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It's shite. I like technology in the game but the way it's used to is all wrong and the incompetent officials can't get a grip on it. They should've at least told that cnut Taylor to go to the monitor to see Lamela hitting Martial first but that's too much logic for them bastards.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The ball was dead was it not? You don’t fend somebody off with an elbow in the throat when there’s no ball to compete for.
Agree. It didn't even look like the normal pre-corner jostling to me.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The sport is broken. I'm trialing giving up. I've not watched more than 5 minutes of football this season due to the circus it's become. Its not the sport it was for me.
Same. Not watched a full game all year.

Fluctuation0161

Martial clearly does a punch, that's always a red, no matter the intensity.
Lamela's movement looks more natural, like he's trying to shield from the opponent. I can see why fans are frustrated with it, but at the very least it wasn't a clear mistake.
Looked a tap to me. With an open hand.

Maybe I need to see it again...

James Peril

What Martial does is retaliation and a red, by the book, even though super soft. What Lamela does first is not hard enough to be deemed a hit I guess, so it’s a yellow. What he does afterwards is acting to be hurt, which is morally obnoxious, but not a punishable unfortunately. It should be, it always should have been, but we reward cowardness and faking injuries. If the punishment for real pain is a red, faking the same should be a red. Makes sense. Why didn’t the referee even check it?

Lamela should be ashamed of himself, but he won’t be. He is that kind of player, always has been. Fake hard man, then goes to the floor like he is 6 years old. Something Alli could have done, same with Guendouzi. Some will say he is smart, but no, doing something like that is always wrong. About time FA comes out and punish behavior which is against the message role modeles should send. You pretend to be hurt, here is a five game suspension. It’s the only way he will learn.

Man-United

Will Ole just laugh it away and accept the decision without having a go at the ref? It would be nice for once if he can come out with some anger.

Fluctuation0161

What Martial does is retaliation and a red, by the book, even though super soft. What Lamela does first is not hard enough to be deemed a hit I guess, so it’s a yellow. What he does afterwards is acting to be hurt, which is morally obnoxious, but not a punishable unfortunately. It should be, it always should have been, but we reward cowardness and faking injuries. If the punishment for real pain is a red, faking the same should be a red. Makes sense. Why didn’t the referee even check it?

Lamela should be ashamed of himself, but he won’t be. He is that kind of player, always has been. Fake hard man, then goes to the floor like he is 6 years old. Something Alli could have done, same with Guendouzi. Some will say he is smart, but no, doing something like that is always wrong. About time FA comes out and punish behavior which is against the message role modeles should send. You pretend to be hurt, here is a five game suspension. It’s the only way he will learn.
If you've seen the all or nothing Spurs documentary you will see that is exactly what Jose encourages.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Right to send Martial off, wrong not to punish Lamela imo.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Looked a tap to me. With an open hand.

Maybe I need to see it again...
It wasn't a punch in a violent sense, but it seems quite clear to me that he wanted to hit him in the face. And that is a red.

lilcurt

Will Ole just laugh it away and accept the decision without having a go at the ref? It would be nice for once if he can come out with some anger.
Of course he will. Like a deer in the headlights in his post match interviews.

Fluctuation0161

It wasn't a punch in a violent sense, but it seems quite clear to me that he wanted to hit him in the face. And that is a red.
My first impression was they should have both been punished equally.

Lamela elbow to Martial face.

Martial slap to Lamelas face.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I think a yellow to Lamela and a red to Martial. Lamela should have then got a second yellow for that dramatic dive! The problem is, as soon as the hand goes onto the face, a red card will almost always be brandished. Stupid of Martial really but Lamela should have been punished as well.

Anustart89

I think a yellow to Lamela and a red to Martial. Lamela should have then got a second yellow for that dramatic dive! The problem is, as soon as the hand goes onto the face, a red card will almost always be brandished. Stupid of Martial really but Lamela should have been punished as well.
Why is an elbow to the throat/face a yellow and an open palm to the throat/face a red? Is an elbow less severe than an open palm and do the rules make a distinction between the two?

The ref, on second viewing, will probably feel that he committed to the red card too early and would probably have given both yellows in the context of the game, but once it was given he couldn't back down. Having sent Martial off, it's obvious that he should've sent Lamela off too for pretty much an identical foul (apart from the body part being used), because not punishing one but punishing the other within three seconds has no justification in the laws of the game.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Why is an elbow to the throat/face a yellow and an open palm to the throat/face a red? Is an elbow less severe than an open palm and do the rules make a distinction between the two?

The ref, on second viewing, will probably feel that he committed to the red card too early and would probably have given both yellows in the context of the game, but once it was given he couldn't back down. Having sent Martial off, it's obvious that he should've sent Lamela off too for pretty much an identical foul (apart from the body part being used), because not punishing one but punishing the other within three seconds has no justification in the laws of the game.
I would think the distinction is that Lamela could claim that he was trying to push his opponent away, whereas Martial's was only retaliation.

I can understand Martial's being viewed in a worse light even with the contact being as light as it was but I don't get Lamela escaping any punishment at all.

HackeyC

The most telling point of that incident is that Martial's head was rocked back by the elbow but Lamela did not even flinch with Martial's hand.

Martial should have hit the floor, Lamela is gone and it's a different game. Naïve.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool

If Lamela had elbowed Martial, he'd have seen red. The arm has gone across Martial and up into his neck but that isn't violent conduct for me. That sort of thing happens at every single set piece and if you red card that, you'll send 4 or 5 players off every game. What doesn't happen every game is the retaliation. Martial has clearly hit him in the face albeit not very hard and Lamela has embarrassed himself but that is classed as violent conduct.
As for Shaw, I can't see how he's escaped a red there