Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yup. It should never have been brought in to re-referee every situation or the entire game, or try and correct every mistake. That was their problem in the first place. Referees made mistakes before, but people could swallow the tight calls at least. What needed fixing was the blatantly bad/unjust decisions. They brought in goal line technology to eliminate any issues there, but the same can't be done with anything else as no other part of football is black and white like that. Handball/not handball is always up for interpretation, no matter where they make the line to be handball, or what situation they describe. Same with offside. Everyone can tell what is or isn't clearly offside, up to pretty much half a foot without resorting to all the line drawing. If a decision is tighter than that and it's one players sleeve vs another's, just leave it with the on field call. It's a grey area over if it should or shouldn't be offside so leave it to what the ref/linesman felt it was if VAR can't tell after a replay or 2 one way or another.
Exactly. They're trying to solve something that no one really thought was a problem, and in so doing have created massive new problems that are far more frustrating and problematic than the originals anyway. The disconnect between what spectators and supporters want and what's been implemented is absolutely massive. Shocking that nothing is being done.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Where the man in the shed decides to draw his line on where he thinks the arm starts is totally subjective and certainly not accurate within 1mm, so I’d have to disagree that offside is offside at the moment
It is also to do with the precise moment the player passes the ball. How can we be absolutely certain that the offside line is drawn at the very moment the ball leaves his foot.
Even if the ball is passed with a speed of only 30mph that equates to 44feet/second.
Even if the line is drawn 0.1 second out, that equates to potential 4 feet error...
And that doesn't take account of the receiving player running speed.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It is also to do with the precise moment the player passes the ball. How can we be absolutely certain that the offside line is drawn at the very moment the ball leaves his foot.
Even if the ball is passed with a speed of only 30mph that equates to 44feet/second.
Even if the line is drawn 0.1 second out, that equates to potential 4 feet error...
And that doesn't take account of the receiving player running speed.
I don’t know the ins and out of frame rate accuracy but I agree with you that I think when they hit that pause button makes a big difference too. Also as far as I know it’s when the boot touches the ball, not when the ball leaves the boot.

offside with VAR is showing the same problems as run of the mill ref calls and that’s over complicating and over analysing everything and then ends up being a joke.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I don’t know the ins and out of frame rate accuracy but I agree with you that I think when they hit that pause button makes a big difference too. Also as far as I know it’s when the boot touches the ball, not when the ball leaves the boot.

offside with VAR is showing the same problems as run of the mill ref calls and that’s over complicating and over analysing everything and then ends up being a joke.
Ok. I was of the view that offside was when the ball was passed.
But anyway, there is scope for small errors, especially when offside is down to tiny margins.
It is a classic case of Unintended Consequences.

I have always believed that football is played by humans and humans should implement the laws.

saivet

Wasn't Rivaldo punished for pretending to be more hurt than he was in a world cup game against Turkey?
He got fined, though his was an extreme case of diving. He went down holding his face when the ball hit his legs.

But then how do you account for margin of error in terms of framerate?
If you know the margin of error, which they fecking should, then that's not a problem. It doesn't matter if it's framerate, or bodypart, or what. You only call it an offside if its outside that margin. If you know the ball has moved 3cm in between frames, the player must be more than 3cm offside to call it.

TheReligion

Abusive
So basically the ref against spurs got it right first time then the VAR got him to doubt himself and change his mind.

I think the refs are shit scared. Doesn't help with Dermot Gallagher saying it was the right decision a day later.

All the VAR does is feck things up.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
If you know the margin of error, which they fecking should, then that's not a problem. It doesn't matter if it's framerate, or bodypart, or what. You only call it an offside if its outside that margin. If you know the ball has moved 3cm in between frames, the player must be more than 3cm offside to call it.
Well, the margin of error varies depending on the speed and body angle of the two players. VAR cameras have a framerate of 50 fps, players can move around 8 meters per second (that's a bit under 30 km/hour), so therefore that's a 16 cm margin of error for any freeze frame taken off a VAR camera. Add in defenders moving the other way, the ball being kicked, etc and any notion that it's objective goes out the window.

TheReligion

Abusive
Offsides are an easy one. You are either off, or you aren't. I have no problem with VAR being used for that. Handballs too, now the rules have settled down. It hits your hand in an unnatural position or it doesn't.

The problem comes with the open to interpretation rules likes fouls. An easy fix would be to ban slow motion replays on fouls and possibly handballs. Give the referee a replay but if he can't see it in real time, he can't give it.
The problem is the VAR is getting involved in things that aren't clear obvious errors for some reason.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
One of the things that struck me as unfair about VAR decisions after reviewing the McTominay/Son incident is that Son actually fouled McTominay by pulling him back and had there not been a goal at stake it would probably have been ruled in McTominay’s favour as Son pulling McTominay back happened before the accidental hand to face.

So, because you have a goal at stake, there is now no way of including that as part of the entire sequence. Son got a hand in the face because McTominay was shrugging off his foul but VAR doesnt have it within the rules that one foul cancels out another so in that situation only the McTominay foul can be considered. It’s completely unbalanced.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
One of the things that struck me as unfair about VAR decisions after reviewing the McTominay/Son incident is that Son actually fouled McTominay by pulling him back and had there not been a goal at stake it would probably have been ruled in McTominay’s favour as Son pulling McTominay back happened before the accidental hand to face.

So, because you have a goal at stake, there is now no way of including that as part of the entire sequence. Son got a hand in the face because McTominay was shrugging off his foul but VAR doesnt have it within the rules that one foul cancels out another so in that situation only the McTominay foul can be considered. It’s completely unbalanced.
It's completely arbitrary. Presumably they've done it so VAR isn't wasting fecktons of time and bogging the game down, yet they're perfectly happy to have everyone stand around for 2-3 minutes after every goal is scored.

Is there a single person that thinks VAR has improved the sport? It can't claim to be more objective given the ridiculous rules over when and why it can be utilised.

Well, the margin of error varies depending on the speed and body angle of the two players. VAR cameras have a framerate of 50 fps, players can move around 8 meters per second (that's a bit under 30 km/hour), so therefore that's a 16 cm margin of error for any freeze frame taken off a VAR camera. Add in defenders moving the other way, the ball being kicked, etc and any notion that it's objective goes out the window.
So that's your margin of error. 16cm (if that's correct). Easy.

It's probably not all that difficult for the system to track the players' speed and calculate it in real time.

The problem is the VAR is getting involved in things that aren't clear obvious errors for some reason.
That's why i think those things should be seen in real time only. If the ref can't spot it without freeze frames and slow motion, its not clear and obvious.

Moonwalker

It's incredible how persuasive these aporias sound in some people's heads, even though it was pointed out countless times that this genius solution has not been applied because it isn't a solution at all. If it must be 3cm offside, that only shifts the focus to all the 2cms offsides who are then judged to be onside because they fall outside the rule by exactly 1cm. The problem remains unresolved, standing exactly as it was before.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Ok. I was of the view that offside was when the ball was passed.
But anyway, there is scope for small errors, especially when offside is down to tiny margins.
It is a classic case of Unintended Consequences.

I have always believed that football is played by humans and humans should implement the laws.
I agree with you.

I also think it’s strange it’s taken from when the boot hits the ball as if you imagine a ronaldhino style hold the ball on the foot and spin and flick it off as a pass the offside would be from when he first traps the ball and not when he releases the ball for the pass. It doesn’t seem right. (That’s if I’m right about when offside is taken)

It's incredible how persuasive these aporias sound in some people's heads, even though it was pointed out countless times that this genius solution has not been applied because it isn't a solution at all. If it must be 3cm offside, that only shifts the focus to all the 2cms offsides who are then judged to be onside because they fall outside the rule by exactly 1cm. The problem remains unresolved, standing exactly as it was before.
That's not the case if you are doing it based on a known margin of error.

Or the league could put its hand in its pocket and buy high speed cameras, it's the richest sport in the world after all. 50fps is a joke.

Moonwalker

That's not the case if you are doing it based on a known margin of error.
You can base it on whatever you want, specifying an exact measure of how much someone needs to be offside leaves the problem unresolved. The focus is just shifted to the margins of that number.

YAMS49

That's an excuse for the VAR 'official'. It was very clear the goal scorer was onside, just overrule yourself you divot.

arthurka

It's absolutely shambolic, couldn't draw a clear line so the call on the pitch stands.. yeah right, my ass.

Didn't even need lines.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
Seems like they mixed up the black players and are shitting themselves so covered it with some nonsensical excuse

cyberman

Yep. It looks like the VAR couldn't make a call (for whatever reason) so the decision stayed with what was given on-pitch.
Ah well its not so bad in my eyes. If anything it shows why VAR is needed!
What a terrible week for it.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
It's absolutely shambolic, couldn't draw a clear line so the call on the pitch stands.. yeah right, my ass.

Didn't even need lines.
It keeps getting worse week by week. I mean really how hard is it to review that one.. No lines needed, just have a butchers and you know it's onside.