Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Was there? Bearing in mind they need an angle where they can measure specific body points, not just one where he looks to be onside.
At 16:20 there is an angle that clearly shows onside. If the tech can't see that, then that tech leaves much to be desired. If that is a correct saying...

cyberman

Remember the story of a flag in Portugal covering the VAR camera so they couldn't use it?

FujiVice

"He looks to have doubled West Brom's lead"

"Cavani believes he's put United 2-1 up."

We're at that point where the commentators cant committ to whether there's been a goal or not.

90 + 5min

Those VAR-scandals will keep going until referees and those in charge for VAR are forced to talk about decisions after game. Live on tv. By rules that is. But, as long as TheFA are happy it will never come. Stubborn and thinking they can't never ever be wrong.

Problem is that they are pushing people out of football. I can't even count how many people have walked away from the sport. It is worrying and sad. They have already priced out working class. Now with VAR they are taking away passion from people. Soon they will ask themself why there are only sponsors sitting in the stands. And still they would never admit any error.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I thought they didn’t rely on tv angles?
The angles don't matter insofar as the 3D imaging lets them draw accurate lines from whatever angle they have without the given angle distorting anything. But they still need to be able to see certain body points in a given angle, apparently.

diarm

Give each coach a couple of appeals per game. If he uses it, the ref goes over and has a look at all the video angles of the incident.

No VAR, no idiots in a van watching things they don't understand or drawing stupid lines across a screen.

It puts the responsibility back in the hands of the refs and removes this bullshit dynamic between two different parties who just end up getting in each other's way.

It also means decisions are made based on the same video we all see. Decisions based on common sense.

ShinjiNinja26

The only thing VAR has done since its been implemented is highlight the sheer incompetence of the referees in the PL. it’s a disgrace. Almost laughable if it wasn’t completely ruining the game we all know and love.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Carragher was right yesterday (vomit) when he said we've lost level. It doesn't exist now. The wind can blow 4 millimetres of a shirt's sleeve offside and that's a goal ruled out.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Thing is, they already have plans to address the offside issues, and they are addressable, so I wouldn't be overly concerned in that regard. In a few years' time it will definitely be much better than it is now. Hell, with a few tweaks to how VAR works they could start making it better immediately if they were of a mind to do so.

The real problem is subjective calls like the McTominay foul yesterday and all the fecking about with "clear and obvious", where I have no idea how you fix it. In the long run that's way more of a problem.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I agree with you.

I also think it’s strange it’s taken from when the boot hits the ball as if you imagine a ronaldhino style hold the ball on the foot and spin and flick it off as a pass the offside would be from when he first traps the ball and not when he releases the ball for the pass. It doesn’t seem right. (That’s if I’m right about when offside is taken)
You are quite right. I have checked rule 11 and it qualifies that it is to be from when the player strikes the ball.
To be honest, the officials would have to have eyes like to chameleon to be able to both see the boot hitting the ball at the same time they are looking for the other player to be in an offside position.
Now. That is where VAR actually helps.
Nevertheless, the spirit of the rule was never intended to come down to millimetres, or ultimately pixels.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
So that's your margin of error. 16cm (if that's correct). Easy.

It's probably not all that difficult for the system to track the players' speed and calculate it in real time.
I mean, it's obviously incredibly difficult otherwise why would they persist with the arbitrary line drawing?

UncleBob

So that's your margin of error. 16cm (if that's correct). Easy.

It's probably not all that difficult for the system to track the players' speed and calculate it in real time.

That's why i think those things should be seen in real time only. If the ref can't spot it without freeze frames and slow motion, its not clear and obvious.
:lol: :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Thing is, they already have plans to address the offside issues, and they are addressable, so I wouldn't be overly concerned in that regard. In a few years' time it will definitely be much better than it is now. Hell, with a few tweaks to how VAR works they could start making it better immediately if they were of a mind to do so.

The real problem is subjective calls like the McTominay foul yesterday and all the fecking about with "clear and obvious", where I have no idea how you fix it. In the long run that's way more of a problem.
It’s easily fixed. Don’t use VAR.

Then start using it for offsides only and only if/when they’ve improved it to a point that means we will never again endure agonisingly prolonged deliberations about how close armpits are to the goal line.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Yeah, feck off VAR.

Like Jose Mourinho, it's benefitting from not having fans in the stadiums.

I mean, it's obviously incredibly difficult otherwise why would they persist with the arbitrary line drawing?
Same reason they use 50 fps cameras. It's a poor implementation. I work with AI, the technology to identify and track people on camera is not exactly rocket science.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Same reason they use 50 fps cameras. It's a poor implementation. I work with AI, the technology to identify and track people on camera is not exactly rocket science.
Tracking people on camera isn't even the issue here - it's doing so at a high enough resolution that conclusions can actually be objective. Right now, VAR purports to be binarily correct for offsides and that's laughable. It's prohibitively expensive and completely unrealistic to propose that every stadium has sufficiently high enough FPS cameras installed - all to "objectively" interpret a law that was implemented to stop goalmouth poaching.

VivaRonaldo85

So basically the ref against spurs got it right first time then the VAR got him to doubt himself and change his mind.

I think the refs are shit scared. Doesn't help with Dermot Gallagher saying it was the right decision a day later.

All the VAR does is feck things up.
That’s it. By VAR stepping in and saying to the ref you should maybe go and have a look at this, what is that implying to the ref? It’s only natural for the ref to think he’s made a mistake. What did VAR actually say to the on field ref for our disallowed goal yesterday? We’ll never know and that’s simply not satisfactory in a multi billion pound industry. If we could hear the dialogue between the ref and VAR as to what they are considering and why they come up with the decision as a team of officials (aka rugby union), that would be so much more satisfying for supporters in my mind.

Silverman

If you judge it by the level that it really should be at, it has been an absolute shambles.

How can players and fans almost universally think that Son was not fouled, yet the referee and VAR operators call it the way they did.

It beggars belief.

hobbers

What a fecking joke that WBA decision is. It's equally as bad as McTominay yesterday.

Absolute embarrassment. Constantly wrong on whether something is a clear and obvious mistake or not. Constantly wrong on offsides. Constantly wrong on marginal calls.

It's disgusting how bad VAR is in the Prem, it's a complete shambles. Every single gameweek there are half a dozen incidents of VAR leading to the wrong outcomes.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
posted this before...

That's how it could work but Riley is an idiot and the officials are useless.

This is amazing, but it only works because both the ref and the VAR ref are competent.

Imagine our feckin idiots trying to do this. Blabbering on like twats, umming and ahhing. "I'm not sure" "pull it back another 30 secs" "show me from another 16 angles".

RUCK4444

This is amazing, but it only works because both the ref and the VAR ref are competent.

Imagine our feckin idiots trying to do this. Blabbering on like twats, umming and ahhing. "I'm not sure" "pull it back another 30 secs" "show me from another 16 angles".
This is true. Both officials in that clip demonstrate basic mental ability which is far too much for us to expect from the PL officials.

It would probably just be an embarrassing Basil Fawlty-esque display from our lot.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

This is true. Both officials in that clip demonstrate basic mental ability which is far too much for us to expect from the PL officials.

It would probably just be an embarrassing Basil Fawlty-esque display from our lot.
I genuinely don't understand why referees are against transparency - this clip was hugely informative and makes all the officials involved look better if you ask me (starts 45 seconds in):

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I genuinely don't understand why referees are against transparency - this clip was hugely informative and makes all the officials involved look better if you ask me (starts 45 seconds in):

Even there the referee sounds super panicky. Doesn't sound half as calm and collected as the one in the other clip. Then ever VAR and that seem to be shouting over each other :lol: it's better than nothing but that's still chaos compared to the Australian ref.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Even there the referee sounds super panicky. Doesn't sound half as calm and collected as the one in the other clip. Then ever VAR and that seem to be shouting over each other :lol: it's better than nothing but that's still chaos compared to the Australian ref.
Sure, though to be fair this was before pitchside monitors were a thing and he's mid sprint from one end to the other of the pitch. I think the confusion stems from the feeds overlapping - after the incident the assistant is talking to Fabregas and that makes it look more like they're talking over each other.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Sure, though to be fair this was before pitchside monitors were a thing and he's mid sprint from one end to the other of the pitch. I think the confusion stems from the feeds overlapping - after the incident the assistant is talking to Fabregas and that makes it look more like they're talking over each other.
Yeah I had to watch it 2 or 3 times to figure out who was talking to who :lol:

Players don't help any situation by being gobshites.

HackeyC

100%! Cracking down on surrounding the referee is a separate issue but one I'm entirely in favour of.
Absolutely this. Or genetically clone Collina so that all refs can put down the players with a stare that penetrates their souls