Refs & VAR 2020/2021 Discussion

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I wonder if refs are purposely doing this because they don't want to have VAR.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I wonder if refs are purposely doing this because they don't want to have VAR.
Nah. The reality is that VAR isn't going anywhere and I'm sure they're as aware of that as anyone. Plus it's not like they don't get criticised in incidents like this either.

It's just incompetence. From the refs but more so from the people who create the protocols and train the refs.

Doracle

Slow motion or not, all pundits and anyone who has played football knows that was not a red card today. Yet the VAR concludes it so obviously was that the on pitch official made a clear and obvious error and the first referee then immediately changes his decision upon seeing it on screen.

This isn’t a VAR issue. It’s a problem with the referees and/or the guidance they are receiving. The fact that they never have to then explain how they have reached decisions that 100% of commentators disagree with just compounds the problems. They need a complete rework of rules and approach in my view.

The acid test here is going to be whether this gets overturned on appeal.

alexthelion

The referees are constantly being called out. Every second post in this thread is complaining about a referee being crap at his job.

The issue with VAR is that it was supposed to make referees better at their job. When a new technology is intended to improve refereeing performances and turns out to have the opposite effect then I’d say the new technology is a bigger problem than the referees.
Or it's highlighting just how bad the referees are.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Just seen the West Ham red card and I don't think that's a shocker of a decision to be honest. Even in real time, it looked like a nasty follow through. It's definitely at least a yellow, even if the red does seem a bit harsh to me
It literally happened within 0.6 seconds of the West Ham player striking the ball.

What’s the West Ham player supposed to do?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Awful call for the red card.

I know a lot of people are complaining about the ref viewing it in slow-mo but even in slow-mo most of us thought it wasn't a red.

The bigger issues are the ones we've seen ever since VAR was introduced to the PL. Namely the erratic "clear and obvious" threshold they've never really got to grips with and their use (or lack of use, or sort-of-use-but-not-really) of the pitchside monitors. In this case it meant it was referred by VAR when it shouldn't have been and once the ref went to look at it he was very unlikely to stick to his original decision.

Obviously it's subjective, so there will always be grey areas and decisions we disagree with. But as many of know from our own jobs, it's not that hard to put good protocols and training into place to ensure a good standard of subjective decision making. It's not like the decisions they're dealing with here are complex beyond comprehension. In this case though it all seems to be a mess.

I would imagine it has left the refs both very confused and very afraid of making a mistake, which isn't a state of mind that will lead to good calls.
Surprised you don’t have a graph showing silly VAR calls.

That’s in no way pejorative, there’s just been so many they could probably start being compared against each other & absurdity in general.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Surprised you don’t have a graph showing silly VAR calls.

That’s in no way pejorative, there’s just been so many they could probably start being compared against each other & absurdity in general.
I wish. :drool:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I honestly waffle between ‘Christ, another graph in football’ (not specifically you, just in general) & ‘it’s fecking interesting breaking it down to the granular level.’

Can’t wait to see the VAR decision graph. It’s only a matter of time.

stw2022

VAR is a man watching a screen. I feel this needs saying as sometimes with words like 'technology' thrown around I think people fall into the trap of believing it's some artificially intelligent, high-spec, Matrix-like piece of apparatus that would thrive if not for these middle-aged, balding, podgy incompetent referees.

The middle-aged, balding, podgy incompetent referee IS the 'technology'.

If you think a middle-aged, balding, podgy incompetent ref squinting at a screen for three or four minutes at the time is an improvement to the game, then God love you. Because if you're a proponent of VAR that's essentially what you think.

Barnslig

I honestly waffle between ‘Christ, another graph in football’ (not specifically you, just in general) & ‘it’s fecking interesting breaking it down to the granular level.’

Can’t wait to see the VAR decision graph. It’s only a matter of time.
xGVAR

UncleBob

I can't fully understand how Mike Riley is still in charge of this shit show.

And if it wasn't for the fact that i still somewhat enjoy football, i'd find the staggering incompetence at display piss funny

First season of VAR and they barely use the touchline monitor because VAR isn't supposed to ruin the flow of the game, takes too long etc, yet they can easily spend 4-5 mins checking if someones left pubic hair is an inch offside or not. Mint.

Alexis Sanchez scores a bizaarre volleyball goal against Hull that isn't chalked off because of a gap in the rules, so they modify the rules to the point that it's so stupid that you actually wonder if the people responsible are mentally ill. A new rule, where any goal after the ball has touched an attacking players arm is chalked off as handball. Lucas Moura is fouled from behind, as he falls over the opposition player clears the ball into his arm and it rolls to Kane who scores, handball and Sheffield gets the freekick. There was one even worse, where a player is fouled and 10 rounds of slow motion identifies that the tips of his fingers touch the ball when he's falling over and the goal isn't given. You can't really make it up...

Then, in an attempt to correct the issue, they make it worse.

But it is not a handball offence if after an accidental handball the ball travels some distance via a pass or a dribble, or there are several passes before the goal or goalscoring opportunity.

As long as you don't instantly score from a handball situation, just take advantage and pass it, it won't be an offence. Christ.

Newcastle's disallowed goal against Liverpool, goal is disallowed for handball because it bounces off the goalkeeper and into his arm that is alongside his body. It's absolutely mental that someone actually thought this was a good solution.

There's so many flaws, so many daft binary interpretations, that the existence of VAR should easily be able to fix. Mental super slowmotion to see what happens in situations that occurs in less than half a second. Some of the worst decisions ever made are after the introduction of VAR, it's bizarre.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Balbuena's red correctly overturned. Holding breath for referee to admit error.

GazTheLegend

The problem with var as someone at work said today correctly in my opinion is that they keep looking for reasons to disallow goals, and if you look long enough you will always find one. It should be that they try to find any reason to let a goal stand. That mentality change alone would help with var.

It's like Moyes at West ham wanting a throw in from Henderson's kick - if you look far enough back there's always a """"contentious""" call. Even if there was a foul / play on like with Pogba Vs Granada the other week which causes the initial var check or whatever!

The noticeable difference in uefa competition has been the desire to let goals stand. That's the way forward.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Pogba's yellow last night was the softest I've seen in a long time.

How easily refs fall for players holding their face infuriates me. The replay showed Pogba's brushing the keeper's shoulder but he went down holding his face.

acnumber9

Can anyone give any rational reason why the ref didn’t even get asked to have a look at Sterling planting his studs, full force, above Werner’s ankle?!
It’s Man City going for the league and Sterling is an English darling. Too controversial.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
England squad players will always get a 20% bonus leniency in those decisions.

It was a clear red. His stud were up the entire time.

visiting villain

Supports
Aston Villa
after Watkins got sent off today for 'simulation', I would hope that more players get booked for this simulation otherwise the officiating standard is just going to be frustratingly inconsistent

I feel a bit sorry for Watkins. He's expected to get cleaned out by Henderson and let himself go limp in anticipation. It's definitely not a penalty but i don't think it's a dive either, it's not like he's screaming to claim one. I'd sooner see the referee let those go.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I feel a bit sorry for Watkins. He's expected to get cleaned out by Henderson and let himself go limp in anticipation. It's definitely not a penalty but i don't think it's a dive either, it's not like he's screaming to claim one. I'd sooner see the referee let those go.
He dived, he knew what he was doing, anticipated the contact and was falling down even before Henderson actually got close to him.

Glad to see ref's punish that sort of cheating.

Dan_F

Can anyone give any rational reason why the ref didn’t even get asked to have a look at Sterling planting his studs, full force, above Werner’s ankle?!
I’m sure it’s been asked before, but I don’t understand why the referee on the pitch isn’t allowed to ask to see the monitor if he’s already stopped the game. It can still be used to pick up things the ref has completely missed, but in Sterling’s case, the ref must have been debating in his mind whether to give a yellow or red.

I understand VAR keeps the game going in situations like the handball against Greenwood (I think) yesterday. But if the ref has stopped the game, surely it takes away the stupid argument that he is influenced as soon as he is asked to go to the screen.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah, agreed. That was how I saw it too. He must have thought he was going to get absolutely clattered. One of those rare occasions when you can justifiably excuse diving on the basis of self preservation.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Did they change the handball rule again? I know all the joke ones right at the start of the season when players weren't even looking and balls were being smashed at their hands and they were being given so that was rightfully amended but yesterday we head it back into penalty area and Greenwood's hand is by his head so really he knows what he's doing....don't understand why ref didn't go and look at it on his monitor.

Before you all pile in it was a clear penalty on Pogba so no idea why Dean Smith was highlighting that post match and Ollie went down far too easily.

We got this called v us just 3 months back:

cyberman

He doesnt even dive to get out of the way, he throws his body as if there was contact.
Nobody does that when theyre not in the box. If they did, players would never be off the ground

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I asked the question during the matchday thread, but I think it's a valid question-

If the Greenwood handball or Henderson tackle had been given by the ref, would they have been reversed after VAR?

Obviously it's a hypothetical, but I don't think they'd have been reversed, and that's where the flaws of VAR and its implementation are highlighted for me.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Did they change the handball rule again? I know all the joke ones right at the start of the season when players weren't even looking and balls were being smashed at their hands and they were being given so that was rightfully amended but yesterday we head it back into penalty area and Greenwood's hand is by his head so really he knows what he's doing....don't understand why ref didn't go and look at it on his monitor.

Before you all pile in it was a clear penalty on Pogba so no idea why Dean Smith was highlighting that post match and Ollie went down far too easily.

Who knows to be honest... I think it changed to allow more leeway to arms "being in natural position" but then there was also something about "arms being above shoulders is unnatural" ... and then there's also distance to the ball (which is sometimes taken into consideration, and sometimes isn't).

Honestly I was a bit surprised it wasn't a penalty, or looked at by the ref... not that I want that sort of thing to be a penalty, but seen plenty of those given. (then again others haven't been given, like the one Hudson Odoi did against us at Stamford Bridge).

acnumber9

The big difference between the two is Greenwood was jumping and so his arms were in a natural position. That isn’t the case with the one given against City. It doesn’t make it any less arbitrary. You wouldn’t be surprised to see something similar given next time it happens.

acnumber9

I would feel more sorry for him were it not for the fact he went to Henderson to ask him to stick up for him and didn’t immediately look to the ref for a penalty.

RK

Watkins decision infuriates me.

1) Gets the ball first
2) Henderson clips him on the leg/knee
3) He's potentially getting clattered at full pace

I agree that Watkins was looking for the penalty in advance, because he's about to be unfairly impeded. He has possession of the ball and if he doesn't go down he risks injury and/or doesn't get the deserved penalty.
Either way, the ref should be 100% sure that the player is trying to cheat before booking them. But there's some irrational hatred of 'divers'.

If you're in doubt about the contact watch (slowly) how the direction of Henderson's foot changes in the replay at 11 seconds