Refusing to make simple and obvious passes.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
What's that about now ?
I know I'm not the only one who's noticed our players just flat out refuse to attempt certain passes when their teammates is in good position. Misplacing a pass is ok but to refuse to pass it ? Why ? What do we do during training :lol: ?

Ashish Negi

Martial was through multiple times, sir Jesse wanted to go sideways

Judas

Open to offers
I don't know what it is. Is it selfishness, fear, being told tactically to keep it simple? Tonight there were so many blatant examples of this it was driving me mad.

This is the worst we've been since Fergie, by some distance. We're gutless.

RyRy11

We look like a team where none of our players have ever played together, no matter who we put on the pitch.

ash_86

Atleast two time i watched McTomney do that. Once to Rashford and once to James.

Scotty McT

This is what happens when I give my strikers £100k goal bonuses in Football Manager.

Devil81

James could have released Rashford towards the end of the game, it's the extra touch these guys are always taking that's the problem.

Infra-red

Average players and no system of play. It's just a bunch of individuals making it up as they go along while their manager desperately looks on, hoping for a slice of luck.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
McTominay showed a really restricted range tonight. A number of times he made no attempt to play attacking balls for forward runners. Lingard as a false 9 several times just passed the ball back into midfield when other attacking options could have been noted.

dove

What's that about now ?
I know I'm not the only one who's noticed our players just flat out refuse to attempt certain passes when their teammates is in good position. Misplacing a pass is ok but to refuse to pass it ? Why ? What do we do during training :lol: ?
I think it should be quite clear by now that we do feck all in training.

kouroux

James could have released Rashford towards the end of the game, it's the extra touch these guys are always taking that's the problem.
Rashford did it, McTominay did, Lingard did it. They all do it in every game. I just don't understand, I just other teams create passing movement like that, all their stuff isn't pinchpoint perfect through passes, they recycle the ball a lot too but whenever there is a good forward to make to an open teammate, there is no hesitation

Devil81

Rashford did it, McTominay did, Lingard did it. They all do it in every game. I just don't understand, I just other teams create passing movement like that, all their stuff isn't pinchpoint perfect through passes, they recycle the ball a lot too but whenever there is a good forward to make to an open teammate, there is no hesitation
When you think of how fast City and Liverpool release Mane, Salah, Sterling and Sane. If we can find the balls in behind the likes of James and Rashford can't be caught.

kouroux

When you think of how fast City and Liverpool release Mane, Salah, Sterling and Sane. If we can find the balls in behind the likes of James and Rashford can't be caught.
Sometimes Liverpool's football is very basic, a long ball over the top for Salah or Mane.

Greck

Average players and no system of play. It's just a bunch of individuals making it up as they go along while their manager desperately looks on, hoping for a slice of luck.
Bang on. Rubbish players with no real pattern or tactics. Because of it they often have to take a second to confirm where the other player will be and many times the attack breaks down on the second pass of a one-two combination. Do these guys even train? How are we still struggling to execute one-twos? The most basic passing combination in football

Josep Dowling

I was about to start a thread on this.

Biggest issues:

1) Defenders playing around the ball at the back and refuse to come forward with the ball. Rojo and Jones had acres of space in front of them all game. Jones literally stood in his position like it was netball and passed the ball into a deep lying midfielder.

If our defenders came forward with the ball, midfield can move up into the next phrase of the pitch and we might actually create a chance.

2) The lack of off the ball movement, mainly by the midfield. What happened to the basic concept of pass and move? Where are the triangles?

I saw multiple situations tonight where a midfielder would have the ball, there were pockets of space left and right of them but no player was running into the space to provide an option.

These two glaring problems haven’t just been a problem under Ole. This happened under Mourinho as well.

So is it the coaching or is it the players? Whilst both are responsible I can’t help but feel the coaching is the major issue. Look at Liverpool and someone like Henderson. His passing and movement has improved so much under Klopp. Do they not look back at these games and state the obvious to these players?

LARulz

Every single one of the players mentioned (maybe except Mata) run with their head down. They never once look up until the last second

kouroux

Biggest issues:

1) Defenders playing around the ball at the back and refuse to come forward with the ball. Rojo and Jones had acres of space in front of them all game. Jones literally stood in his position like it was netball and passed the ball into a deep lying midfielder.

If our defenders came forward with the ball, midfield can move up into the next phrase of the pitch and we might actually create a chance.

2) The lack of off the ball movement, mainly by the midfield. What happened to the basic concept of pass and move? Where are the triangles?

I saw multiple situations tonight where a midfield would have the ball, there were pockets of space left and right of them but no player was running into the space to provide an option.

These two glaring problems haven’t just been a problem under Ole. This happened under Mourinho as well.

So is it the coaching or is it the players? Whilst both are responsible I can’t help but feel the coaching is the major issue. Look at Liverpool and someone like Henderson. His passing and movement has improved so much under Klopp. Do they not look back at these games and state the obvious to these players?
Another good example is when AWB makes a good first touch pass /flick to Lingard and runs for a return ball but Lingard just blindly booted upfield. I see like this and I am left scratching my head.

Josep Dowling

Another good example is when AWB makes a good first touch pass /flick to Lingard and runs for a return ball but Lingard just blindly booted upfield. I see like this and I am left scratching my head.
There were so many examples of it tonight. I don’t want to have ago at Garner but we are 25 yards from goal under no pressure, easy pass to him and it rolls under his foot.

First half Martial clean through, under very little pressure, falls over.

Lingards attempt at a cross field pass that goes straight over Rashford.

It’s individual errors that happen every single week, even from our ‘best players’ like Pogba and Martial. I wouldn’t expect it at this level. But then when we had Scholes and Giggs in midfield for 20 years maybe we expect too much from others.

RedRitz

Every single one of the players mentioned (maybe except Mata) run with their head down. They never once look up until the last second
Thats because they're simply not good enough, just overrated for coming through our youth system.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
What's that about now ?
Show up to do Instagram photo/video shoots for Man Utd's account and then leave.

kouroux

There were so many examples of it tonight. I don’t want to have ago at Garner but we are 25 yards from goal under no pressure, easy pass to him and it rolls under his foot.

First half Martial clean through, under very little pressure, falls over.

Lingards attempt at a cross field pass that goes straight over Rashford.

It’s individual errors that happen every single week, even from our ‘best players’ like Pogba and Martial. I wouldn’t expect it at this level. But then when we had Scholes and Giggs in midfield for 20 years maybe we expect too much from others.
I get you but with this thread I wanna separate what you described: technical mistakes and passing or lack thereof in certain situations. McTominay shooting in the first half on the edge of the box when he has a clear and free player on his left, this sort of stuff will never improve as a team. Players doing stuff without coherence or process

Baneofthegame

We look like a team where none of our players have ever played together, no matter who we put on the pitch.

Biggest issues:

I saw multiple situations tonight where a midfielder would have the ball, there were pockets of space left and right of them but no player was running into the space to provide an option.

All of this, lots of basics our team can’t seem to get right.

Ziggy Starduster

If it was just one or two players, it would suggest it isn’t an issue beyond confidence or talent. When it’s a whole team that we’ve seen play way better in the past, then it has to be on the training/management.
It’s the same about having shots at goal. As a footballing side, we are one of the worst in Europe’s top flight.

Skills

Snitch
I get you but with this thread I wanna separate what you described: technical mistakes and passing or lack thereof in certain situations. McTominay shooting in the first half on the edge of the box when he has a clear and free player on his left, this sort of stuff will never improve as a team. Players doing stuff without coherence or process
It's confidence really. If you know where your team mates are, you're not having to overthink or take an extra touch.

Red_toad

We have these ‘average players’ who perform at international level. It’s the system, lack of a midfielder with genuine quality and a lack of confidence. Ole and the coaches are failing, as our game plan is to out run everyone. Only the keeper and the centre halves appear to have a clue as to what they’re doing.
Hopefully the return of Pogba will improve our interplay and retention of the ball...

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Sometimes Liverpool's football is very basic, a long ball over the top for Salah or Mane.
No way they don't practice that shit. The same way City's forwards move before the pass is made.

I'm not expecting that this mess gets fixed overnight, players here have played under bad attacking coaching for years.

kouroux

No way they don't practice that shit. The same way City's forwards move before the pass is made.

I'm not expecting that this mess gets fixed overnight, players here have played under bad attacking coaching for years.
Practice makes perfect for however you wanna play.
I just wonder what kinda practice leads to our chaotic football

el3mel

Crap players and terrible coaching.

Here you have it. Plain and simple.

Velvet Revolver

It's interesting to note that everyone except the united coaching team can see this! Baffling actually. Sure there would be someone in the stadium looking at this and providing some input! I have seen better passing and movement in sunday league teams

AFC NimbleThumb

It’s a lack of coaching & match analysis, coupled with leaving the squad so thin that you can’t drop players that refuse to pass anyway.

I didn’t see tonight’s game so I can’t comment in that regard but it’s as if they’re not being told to make the pass instead of trying a 35yard worldie.

RG 11

Noticed this against Pool as well. With Perreria (multiple times) and Fred deciding to shoot (horribly) when much simpler and better options were available. It's a lack of quality + confidence + coaching

Crap players and terrible coaching.

Here you have it. Plain and simple.
Sums it up.