Regular scorers of only crap goals or tap ins. No smashers remembered.

Fingeredmouse

Cole, Shearer and RVN were tremendous skilled finishers. They may have scored the odd crap tap in but scored many brilliant goals. Shearer had a brilliant mid range shot and could dink a mean chip, Cole was a dribbling and quite pacey player with astonishingly fast reactions and a huge array of finishes and RVN was a technically brilliant finisher with exceptionally clever positioning and movement.
They belong nowhere near a thread like this. I miss those types of strikers. They aren't around at the moment really.

Based Adnan

Lots of people confusing tap in merchants and players who scored most of their goals in the box here

Canagel

Lukaku- the real tap ins merchant. Not skilled footballers like RVN and Cole.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

He was born a decade too late.
That pretty much proves my point. He was a great striker and should be regarded as one of the best, but won't be because he was born in the wrong decade. If Pippo Inzaghi can be called world class then no reason why Gomez shouldn't be.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That pretty much proves my point. He was a great striker and should be regarded as one of the best, but won't be because he was born in the wrong decade. If Pippo Inzaghi can be called world class then no reason why Gomez shouldn't be.
Because you have to judge players relative to their contemporary peers and tactics. If Inzaghi was reborn today people wouldn't call him world class. They would call him a limited footballer.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Van Nistelrooy was the ultimate tap in merchant.
Ruud Van Nistelrooy was a tap-in merchant. Rarely, if ever, scored for United outside the box. Still a legend in my book though.
We must have different definitions of tap ins. Because while RVN did all his scoring inside the box, he had a ridiculous amount of spectacular finishes.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
We must have different definitions of tap ins. Because while RVN did all his scoring inside the box, he had a ridiculous amount of spectacular finishes.
Yeah he was an amazing finisher, not a tap-in merchant.

gingerless

Inzaghi
CR
Klose
Higuain (when he used to score)
Pedro

All obviously had the odd screamer but mostly remembered for indulging in the forbidden ways far too often

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This thread is showing me that people don't actually watch football.
:lol:

Honestly. Any great striker mentioned will have people disagreeing and pointing out some great goal or other they scored :rolleyes:

Aim lower people :D

montpelier

I've got one. Bar the occasional dribbly fluke.

Michael Owen - couldn't actually kick the ball well enough to score from more than 10 yards. Except the one time.

RoyH1

No modern forward can be a pure tap in merchant. That being said, Pipo Inzaghi, Chicharito, Klose were all about the straightest route into the goalposts.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Why comparing tap ins to crap goals? Why do these two make a category?

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Has to be Lineker and rvn for crappy poached goals.

luke511

Lukaku wins this thread, he probably has imbalance to thank rather than technique for his unpredictably scrappy finishing.

Rendezvous with Ronaldo

Supports
Hartlepool
Ian Rush (the king of this particular topic, I watched a youtube compilation of him earlier today. Good grief his goals were dull!)

Iain Dowie

Ian Wright.

Their goals are as dull as their first names.

IhabX7

Inzaghi
CR
Klose
Higuain (when he used to score)
Pedro

All obviously had the odd screamer but mostly remembered for indulging in the forbidden ways far too often
You should be banned for having this opinion. :lol:

KeanoMagicHat

Van Nistelrooy scored some stylish penalty box goals if there is such a thing. They were close in and great chances but there was something about the way he did it that was satisfying, looked automatic and was a natural at just picking the right spot or the right time to shoot. In that way I don't think he was a scorer of crap goals.

Angry Virginian

Supports
Tottenham
People here don't understand the hard work and cleverness of forwards to regularly lose the defenders and get into positions to score "tap-ins."

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
People here don't understand the hard work and cleverness of forwards to regularly lose the defenders and get into positions to score "tap-ins."
No I definitely value them. Inzaghi was an excellent forward, obviously not world class but very reliable up there.

Web of Bissaka

Why comparing tap ins to crap goals? Why do these two make a category?
Agree.

Think it should be divided. Clear different.

(1) 'Crap in' scorers -- usually just putting it in a scrambled/hectic way or bad way or boring way.
(2) 'Tap in' scorers -- can involve beautiful finishing or not, but not smashing. More like a simple touch or a simple nick or a simple glide.

1st uhh I only remember Muller for Germany scoring goals in scrappy ways but he also scored awesome goals which are not tap ins nor only inside box.
Juve's Mario, Germany's Klose, and Fellaini usually score in boring ways but effective.

2nd goes to King Inzaghi who almost always score tap ins, while RVN and Chicharito have goals they scored with beautiful styles but still tap ins (none of the two can be classify as only tap in merchant though, since they also score in more different ways).

hubbuh

Shearer, a bit like Roy Keane, remains one of the most underrated footballers in memory. Anybody under the age of 25 only really remembers the old Shearer, heading them in at Newcastle in his 30s.

A 24 year old Alan Shearer, in today’s market, would be smashing the world transfer record. That good.
Aren't you 26?

Last edited:

hubbuh

I am. But I’ve watched just about as much footage of him during the 90s as possible. I’ve watched him live on multiple occasions as a child, too. He was a train early doors.

What’s your point?
Was it not obvious? I wasn't trying to rangdangle you. Shearer was one of my favourite players growing up, and I only saw the older him scoring headers for Newcastle! I remember he scored an indirect freekick in the box once. He really knew how to whack the ol' pig skin.