Religion, what's the point?

markhughes

Ah yes, the oft forgotten 11th commandment... “You shall use only the pronouns you think should be used.”
I'm personally not religious but I wouldn't accept being compelled/mandated to use pronouns, threatening someone's career because they disagree with a pretty new ideology is a dangerous approach.

Carolina Red

Staff
I'm personally not religious but I wouldn't accept being compelled/mandated to use pronouns, threatening someone's career because they disagree with a pretty new ideology is a dangerous approach.
As a teacher, if a kid asks you to call them by a name that isn’t on the attendance roster, you do. The same applies to their pronouns. What’s going to enable me to educate a kid more effectively? Calling them what they’ve asked to be called or be a dick and call them something they don’t want to be called?

And to be clear, I was pointing out that his justification is bogus. It will take quite a stretch to shoehorn calling someone a pronoun they’ve asked to be called into being against the Bible.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
What is the issue? That he refuses to use the students pronouns on religious grounds?

Seems like he should be able to voice his opinion to me, whether you agree with him or not.
Wow.

There’s ignorant posts, and then there’s the post all those try to be.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Ignorant in what sense?
It’s in a secular learning environment & he is an employee of the institution charged with running it. And it’s also he sheer bemusement of watching someone like the coach try to use his agency with his particular flavor of religion as a legal justification for his not following policy & meeting with the inevitable, justifiable punishment.

In a place of worship is one thing, having to endure street preaching horseshit is another. In college it was terrible, especially to females or gays. Just abhorrent shit.
street preaching annoys me so much. About the same as charity sellers.

I want to walk down the street in peace and quiet. No one cares what you have to say - and at least spend more than £4.50 on a megaphone - think about the quality of the audio you are transmitting.

As a teacher, if a kid asks you to call them by a name that isn’t on the attendance roster, you do. The same applies to their pronouns. What’s going to enable me to educate a kid more effectively? Calling them what they’ve asked to be called or be a dick and call them something they don’t want to be called?

And to be clear, I was pointing out that his justification is bogus. It will take quite a stretch to shoehorn calling someone a pronoun they’ve asked to be called into being against the Bible.
Genuine question - if a child wants to be called anything other than their real name, is that a request a teacher should accept? It would probably change on a weekly basis?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
street preaching annoys me so much. About the same as charity sellers.

I want to walk down the street in peace and quiet. No one cares what you have to say - and at least spend more than £4.50 on a megaphone - think about the quality of the audio you are transmitting.

Genuine question - if a child wants to be called anything other than their real name, is that a request a teacher should accept? It would probably change on a weekly basis?
I think if the name changed on the weekly basis, the game would probably grow old pretty fast.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Who’d of thunk it?

I partly thought that conspiracy nutters also use it as an alternative to religion. In the end religion is just away to explain away the fear of the unknown, as do conspiracy theories.

The US conspirascene is mostly religious nutters though I suppose.

Roane

And believing that God was the creator of the heavens and the earth and everything else is the biggest conspiracy theory of them all.
Do you think?

I think the best CT starts with;

Around 13.8 billion years ago, all the matter in the Universe emerged from a single, minute point, or singularity, in a violent burst

nimic

something nice
Scout
Do you think?

Around 13.8 billion years ago, all the matter in the Universe emerged from a single, minute point, or singularity, in a violent burst
That's actually just science. It might be incomplete - hell, it might even be wrong - but there's evidence for it. You can observe effects of it.

:lol:.

Ooh science
Good response.

See how that plane flies, or how that atom is split, that’s science.

”ooooh science”.

Yes fecking science. You know, the kind of shit that can still predict the movements of the planets and land a fecking rover on Mars or on an astroid using Newtonian physics, 350 years after Newton discovered it.

”oooh science”.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Do you think?

Good, someone who can help me square this circle…

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Probably on his/her smartphone, connected to a satellite in orbit around the planet.
God did that.

No idea why, if he/she/it is so desperate for our love and devotion for fear of eternal damnation, they didn't just do this from the start. I mean if it truly loves us and wants us to be with it, then why not give us a fair chance? Why send your son to die right when it's least likely to be the right message and most likely to be twisted into man made religions used to indoctrinate and control for centuries?

Should have just given us all a smart phone from the off and saved everyone all this hassle.

Withnail

God did that.

No idea why, if he/she/it is so desperate for our love and devotion for fear of eternal damnation, they didn't just do this from the start. I mean if it truly loves us and wants us to be with it, then why not give us a fair chance? Why send your son to die right when it's least likely to be the right message and most likely to be twisted into man made religions used to indoctrinate and control for centuries?

Should have just given us all a smart phone from the off and saved everyone all this hassle.
Fat chance. They wouldn't even tell us about the importance of hygiene or how to avoid being poisoned by food.

Last edited:

Roane

Good response.

See how that plane flies, or how that atom is split, that’s science.

”ooooh science”.

Yes fecking science. You know, the kind of shit that can still predict the movements of the planets and land a fecking rover on Mars or on an astroid using Newtonian physics, 350 years after Newton discovered it.

”oooh science”.
Isaac Newton that religious guy who used the book of Genesis in his views?

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Do you think?

But that's the thing though, it is just a theory. I don't really see people claiming it's an undeniable fact and that anyone who doesn't believe in it will be punished for all eternity.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Who’d of thunk it?

That's like saying there's correlation with tall people and basketball.
There's probably some truth in this, but these studies that people make and post online are often very stupid and don't make good arguments at all.

According to sociologists Ariela Keysar and Juhem Navarro-Rivera's review of numerous global studies on atheism, there are 450 to 500 million positive atheists and agnostics worldwide (7% of the world's population).
Also another argument is that muslims make roughly 25% of the world's population, and they shouldn't believe things like flat earth which is one of biggest bullshit conspiracy theory around, I seriously don't see how exactly they prove this point(in the article they say they mostly used christians samples, altough the title doesn't suggest that tbf).

Dve

Who’d of thunk it?

Religions and conspiracy theories are pretty much the samt thing, aren't they? If you think of the moon landing deniers, i.e., it was first claimed that Armstrong did not leave Earth, instead he was seen the same night in a named bar, ending up in a fight with a named person (presenting concrete names makes it more convincing, of course). Later, they surely had to deal with the overwhelming evidences that Armstrong and his crew actually came down from sky, so then the claim instead turned into that they just circulated the moon, but never landed on it. New theories to cover up for the failed ones.

When Jesus was hanging on the cross, he apparently was surprised that God did not bring him down from there ("My god, my god, why have you forsaken me"). So, he was not God's son after all. Or maybe he was... Maybe he was in fact God's son, but he was left to die so every one else could be saved. Ok?

Not such a great sacrifice, anyway, since he apparently didn't die after all (make the logic out of it, if you can). Cause he then suddenly raised up from death, went to heaven and because God's right had. I mean, if he had gone to hell, see, then we could have talked about sacrifice.

And god probably does not exist, by the way. No one has seen him; no one has ever served any proofs of his existence, or that praying helps (if it did, why are the people praying the most, still the poorest and most miserable ones?).

But I cannot prove that he does not exit, you could say, but the question you have to ask is: If god did not exit, would people still be religious? Knowing that our conscious race at all times have been religious, believing in all sorts of explanations for our existence and death, the answers to this is undoubtedly yes. We would still be religious, simply out of need. Then, do the maths (or employ Occam's razor).