Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

United58

Yet to win under new management. Wouldn't blame it all on him and delighted we're finally trying to move away from the shocking hoofball in 2020 but there's so, so long to go.

Reynoldo

Gutted. Plenty of positives to take from this though considering how early we are into Kenny's reign. Desperately need one of the young lads to develop into a good goal threat. Some very nice passages of play at times.
If we had 1/4 a Robbie Keane we’d have made it

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It's a pity all our good chances fell to Browne.

As @kidbob said we really need some of the young strikers to come good.

We created the best chances though so there are reasons to be optimistic for the future
Definitely hope,
First time in ages that a game has been controlled.
Just a shame.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Unlucky lads. Was hoping we would both get through for the big show down but wasn't to be.

Deery

Dreary
It’s a real sickener to miss out on another big tournament, but we just have nobody to put it in the net.

3 good chances to score too.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Not often where you can blame the keeper in a shootout but Randolph was wank. They could've taken 50 penalties and he wouldn't have touched one of them.

Brophs

The One and Only
I’m not going to lie, tonight isn’t helping my complete (and entirely unreasonable) hatred for Hourihane as a player.

Deery

Dreary
Not often where you can blame the keeper in a shootout but Randolph was wank. They could've taken 50 penalties and he wouldn't have touched one of them.
He did keep us in it with that save in the first half..

LOIfan

Supports
bohemians
Real sickener but there was huge improvement to be seen tonight and definitely a step in the right direction.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Well disappointing, obviously but there was more in that game to like than anything I've seen in years. I'm very heartened with that performance. It was there for us and we should have won it but at least I'll be going into a new campaign with some hope.

Champagne Football

We outplayed them but didn't take our chances.

The positives - O'Dowda looks like he could be a premier league player if he can stay injury free for a season or two. On top of that a few from Kenny's U21 team will hopefully become established PL players. Idah, Connolly, Parrot, Molumby etc

Negatives - We sorely lack a playmaker. Joe Hodge looks like he could be that creative spark in midfield but he has a long way to go and could switch at any time. Will Smallbone, Jack Byrne, Connor Ronan all in with a shot of going on to bigger things in that role too.

Withnail

Are you serious?

The other keeper was just diving before the ball was kicked most of the time. He got lucky that Browne's was poor.

Randolph was close to Hamsik's and I think he got a hand to the one after that. He also did a good job of trying to recover when he realised your man had gone for the Panenka.

Not sure why your picking him out when it was too bad penalties that did for us.

cyberman

Rumours that Connolly and Idah didnt start is because someone fecked up putting them through UEFA system.

It wouldn't surprise me.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Are you serious?

The other keeper was just diving before the ball was kicked most of the time. He got lucky that Browne's was poor.

Randolph was close to Hamsik's and I think he got a hand to the one after that. He also did a good job of trying to recover when he realised your man had gone for the Panenka.

Not sure why your picking him out when it was too bad penalties that did for us.
One went under his hand and he couldn't even stop a panenka after staying in the middle.

Withnail

One went under his hand and he couldn't even stop a panenka after staying in the middle.
Have you ever tried to save a penalty?

Keepers aren't generally expected to even make a save if it's placed into the corner.

For the Penanka he had crouched down in preparation to dive to the side and had to re-adjust to get back to full height.

He wasn't standing there waiting for it.

Withnail

Rumours that Connolly and Idah didnt start is because someone fecked up putting them through UEFA system.

It wouldn't surprise me.
It would surprise me if they came out and lied about a back room staff member having covid and them being in close contact if it was, in fact, a registration issue.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
He was fecked over at the start, with the ref moaning at him twice, guessed right twice and was close. Don't think that's quite fair.

lsd

The Oracle
Are you serious?

I thought he did a good job of psyching the irish players out by the way in his first two penalties he took mad early dives to his left .

Browne was always going to to his right side after that and he got him .

Withnail

I thought he did a good job of psyching the irish players out by the way in his first two penalties he took mad early dives to his left .

Browne was always going to to his right side after that and he got him .
Interesting strategy.

I just watched it back and he jumped early on the Browne one too he just went the right way.

lsd

The Oracle
Yeah maybe Browne should have went down the middle again . Always seems to be players either going down the middle or trying a panenka

Red00012

It's a pity all our good chances fell to Browne.

As @kidbob said we really need some of the young strikers to come good.

We created the best chances though so there are reasons to be optimistic for the future
Not sure what game you were watching but Hourihane had 2 great chances to score Browne had 1

Red00012

Never looked like he was going to save one to be honest

Red00012

It wouldn't surprise me.
That’s BS , they sat next to the official who tested positive . Idah wouldn’t have come off the bench never mind started

Red00012

Browne had the first one he was played in on the right. And then he had the second where he redirected it off the the post from O’Dowda cutting in from the left.
Fair enough but no excuses for that Hourihane miss he even had time to take a touch

Conor

Not sure I've ever read such nonsense in my life, all of their pens were rifled, he nearly got to 2, and also nearly got to a panenka after already starting to dive, which I'm not sure i've ever seen. What an awful take.

Deery

Dreary
Oh sorry I thought it was Browne that had the chance after good work from McGoldrick

Either way we've no one who can finish at the moment.
It was Browne, he hit it well but keeper saved near post. Browne also hit the post in extra time.

Come to think of it we had a lot of chances McClean, Hourihane as well could have scored.

GBBQ

Definitely a disappointing result but hopefully its the start of something. We played some nice football and were hugely unlucky not to win it in normal time or extra time.

We are short on quality but you'd hope that dual citizenship players might start seeing Ireland as a viable alternative to the overstocked England team and we can convince the next Grealish or Rice to commit to us because we actually play football.

Deery

Dreary
Definitely a disappointing result but hopefully its the start of something. We played some nice football and were hugely unlucky not to win it in normal time or extra time.

We are short on quality but you'd hope that dual citizenship players might start seeing Ireland as a viable alternative to the overstocked England team and we can convince the next Grealish or Rice to commit to us because we actually play football.
I hope we can somehow poach Liam Delap from Man City the son of Rory..

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Harder to swallow when we played very good - nice to see us move the ball quick and not constant long balls. Now is the time to filter in more youngsters - need to find a goalscorer pronto though!

Status
Not open for further replies.