Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie Boy

Was impressive out there. Hopefully he'll get another loan move if he isn't going to be that involved.
Aye. Be nice if he could force his way into Potters plans so at least he would be playing PL football. He's highly rated within the club, I believe.

Withnail

I went ice skating when the Englishman was putting the ball into the back of the England net in euro 88, went beer keg robbing while Dublin came to a stand still (even more of a ghost town than early April) during the 90 WC when Jack broken a record that still holds today, getting to a QF without winning a game and saw this country named and shamed by uefa/fifa as the main reason they changed the back pass rule, cant remember where I was for 94 and the one where the Englishman sent home the countries greatest ever player, I chose to work overtime.

No problem whatsoever with people going abroad to improve themselves, but lets be honest, the English that pretend to be Irish are not much better than whats playing for the nomads (rovers) Bohs, Pats etc.
So you're not exactly a supporter of the Irish football team then?

As for the bolded part it's absolute pony. If the bohs lads were as good as you claim they'd be on the big money abroad.

Red00012

Football has been better but goals are going to be a problem unless Connolly can turn into a Robbie Keane

patty123

So you're not exactly a supporter of the Irish football team then?

As for the bolded part it's absolute pony. If the bohs lads were as good as you claim they'd be on the big money abroad.
Answer to you're question, no, never, although given the young Irish born lads coming through like the lad at Norwich, the 2 at Southampton, parrot, that could change.

Just because the local Irish born are not playing abroad doesn't mean shit, as what have the current English/scot born lot done on the international stage, Eddie McGoldrick a striker give me a fecking break, 1 goals in 14 games according to wiki.

I'll take it you watched the match today, how many shots did they have on target today ? BBC/Sky are saying one a lousy one shot, is that true ? And all that team are "on the big money abroad" and are not doing anything special in England.

Lets be honest, the lads (by the way why only use Bohs, Rovers have decent young players) couldn't do any worse by all account and reports than what the current lot be it Irish/English are doing.

ps: After this only 1 post left, so if you quoted it be tomorrow when I reply, just so you don't think I am ignoring you.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Answer to you're question, no, never, although given the young Irish born lads coming through like the lad at Norwich, the 2 at Southampton, parrot, that could change.

Just because the local Irish born are not playing abroad doesn't mean shit, as what have the current English/scot born lot done on the international stage, Eddie McGoldrick a striker give me a fecking break, 1 goals in 14 games according to wiki.

I'll take it you watched the match today, how many shots did they have on target today ? BBC/Sky are saying one a lousy one shot, is that true ? And all that team are "on the big money abroad" and are not doing anything special in England.

Lets be honest, the lads (by the way why only use Bohs, Rovers have decent young players) couldn't do any worse by all account and reports than what the current lot be it Irish/English are doing.

ps: After this only 1 post left, so if you quoted it be tomorrow when I reply, just so you don't think I am ignoring you.
Hypothetical question. If you have to move abroad for work and have a kid, do you think he should be allowed play for Ireland? Or would you think his place should go to someone “Irish born”?

Withnail

No problem on the reply front.

But are you seriously suggesting that the standard of the league of Ireland players is on a par with those playing in the Premier League?

POF

Hopefully that’s the last time we see McLean in an Ireland shirt. Fecking idiot.
He's got to be one of the most naive players I've ever seen. He didn't touch Ampadu but flying into the challenge like that while on a yellow was asking for trouble.

POF

Football has been better but goals are going to be a problem unless Connolly can turn into a Robbie Keane
I think McGoldrick is a stand out as a number 9 in this team which means they need goals from the wide forwards. Connolly left seems a good option. Maybe Obafemi right?

He seems to have real potential but that doesn't seem to be reflected in how his coaches are using him.

patty123

Hypothetical question. If you have to move abroad for work and have a kid, do you think he should be allowed play for Ireland? Or would you think his place should go to someone “Irish born”?
No and yes.
No problem on the reply front.

But are you seriously suggesting that the standard of the league of Ireland players is on a par with those playing in the Premier League?
No never said it was, but lets be real, not all them play the Epl and even the ones that do, not pulling up trees by any means at their clubs, just look at long and McGoldrick, hardly banging in goals are they.

Withnail

No and yes.

No never said it was, but lets be real, not all them play the Epl and even the ones that do, not pulling up trees by any means at their clubs, just look at long and McGoldrick, hardly banging in goals are they.
Yes let's be real, you said they couldn't do worse.

Stephen Kenny knows the standard of players playing league of Ireland very well and he's picking the team so he clearly thinks that yes they could do worse.

To suggest that there wouldn't be a drop in quality if we fielded a League of Ireland XI is patently ridiculous.

padr81

Supports
Man City

You really think sending out the Irish League players would see anything other than turning into the team into Moldova or something? The current Irish team would murder any best of Irish League Team and do it without getting out of first gear.

patty123

Yes let's be real, you said they couldn't do worse.

Stephen Kenny knows the standard of players playing league of Ireland very well and he's picking the team so he clearly thinks that yes they could do worse.

To suggest that there wouldn't be a drop in quality if we fielded a League of Ireland XI is patently ridiculous.
Please do point bloody out where I said we should field an all league of Ireland team, please :confused:.

And at the oil club fan above, yeah cause they are so great, they managed one lousy shot on goal against wales according to sky/bbc, one shot :lol:, couldn't score against the team last week, yeah the current lot are really doing wonders and turning heads :lol:

patty123

Well that’s fecking stupid. Thanks for the clarification.
Why because I think Irish born kids should be given a chance and chosen to live their dream when they first lace up over "my granny was Irish" I swear its nothing to do with my own country (England) thinking I'm fecking crap and would never pick me, well thats if they even do have a granny unlike tony cas.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Why because I think Irish born kids should be given a chance and chosen to live their dream when they first lace up over "my granny was Irish" I swear its nothing to do with my own country (England) thinking I'm fecking crap and would never pick me, well thats if they even do have a granny unlike tony cas.
Why because nationality is about more than just the place you’re born, obviously. The idea that this is all that matters is one of the most stupid things I’ve read on here in a long long time.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
I don't want any of these Celts playing for Ireland, they are just a bunch of invaders not the true Irish pre Celtic population.

Why because nationality is about more than just the place you’re born, obviously. The idea that this is all that matters is one of the most stupid things I’ve read on here in a long long time.
that’s saying something!

hope he doesn’t watch the English cricket team?

who is the captain of the World Cup winners?

patty123

@patty123 what are your thoughts on English born from Irish parents playing for Ireland?
@patty123 what are your thoughts on English born from Irish parents playing for Ireland?
Sorry for the late reply, as stated in an earlier post, no if at the cost to an Irish born who has the dream when first lacing up of turning out for their country just because they are not playing in the EPL or the other 3 leagues.

Look I have a nasty feeling from some replies this is going down the road of some form of racism which it is not, but I don't believe a kid born in England. Scotland should be chosen over a kid born on the Island of Ireland, why, because they play in any of the 4 leagues and lets get real if they turn out to be any good, they do a grealish, keane ( Everton's one's brother), rice job as soon as the English come knocking.

I could be wrong but hasn't grannygate's kid declared for the English while I read a story during the summer daddy wants to play for our country again ? So I see these kids born to Irish parents, seeing themselves as the nationally (no wrong in that) of the country they were born in and only using (wrong) this country if not chosen for England and have no real commitment/pride to the shirt or nation.

Look at Martin Keown, he was born to an Irish mother never saw himself as Irish but his kid does (head scratching that), as with phil neville, why because they are not picked by the English, Brucey was another and that guy never played for England and could have gone to Euro 88, WC 90/94 thanks to his Irish mother, but didnt see himself as Irish and as much as I hate and despise Keown, I respect him more than his kid, nevilles kid as I do Bruce.

Last edited:

Brophs

The One and Only
It’s usually at this point in this sort of discussion that Kevin Kilbane posts that Partridge IRA video from the One Show to remind us all that he is very much Irish.

Champagne Football

Sorry for the late reply, as stated in an earlier post, no if at the cost to an Irish born who has the dream when first lacing up of turning out for their country just because they are not playing in the EPL or the other 3 leagues.

Look I have a nasty feeling from some replies this is going down the road of some form of racism which it is not, but I don't believe a kid born in England. Scotland should be chosen over a kid born on the Island of Ireland, why, because they play in any of the 4 leagues and lets get real if they turn out to be any good, they do a grealish, keane ( Everton's one's brother), rice job as soon as the English come knocking.

I could be wrong but hasn't grannygate's kid declared for the English while I read a story during the summer daddy wants to play for our country again ? So I see these kids born to Irish parents, seeing themselves as the nationally (no wrong in that) of the country they were born in and only using (wrong) this country if not chosen for England and have no real commitment/pride to the shirt or nation.

Look at Martin Keown, he was born to an Irish mother never saw himself as Irish but his kid does (head scratching that), as with phil neville, why because they are not picked by the English, Brucey was another and that guy never played for England and could have gone to Euro 88, WC 90/94 thanks to his Irish mother, but didnt see himself as Irish and as much as I hate and despise Keown, I respect him more than his kid, nevilles kid as I do Bruce.
By that logic then we should just have a world cup made up exclusively of Brazil's A team, B team, C team, D team, E team, F team etc. Because Brazil produce enough players to produce enough teams that would still destroy most international teams even if it was their F team.

So we should get the popcorn out every 4 years and place bets on whether the Brazil F team can cause an upset as the Brazil Universe cup this year b beating the red hot favourites, the Brazil A team.

Where's your sense of fairness and sense of spirit for fair competition?

I'm sure the UK and Ireland would love to have a Basketball world cup where we can compete with the big boys like the USA and Spain but nobody is interested because we don't have national teams that can compete with the best like we sometimes do in soccer. I'm sure if Ireland and England suddenly had basketball teams that could live with the USA and Australia and Spain then all of a sudden there would be huge interest in a basketball world cup.

patty123

By that logic then we should just have a world cup made up exclusively of Brazil's A team, B team, C team, D team, E team, F team etc. Because Brazil produce enough players to produce enough teams that would still destroy most international teams even if it was their F team.

So we should get the popcorn out every 4 years and place bets on whether the Brazil F team can cause an upset as the Brazil Universe cup this year b beating the red hot favourites, the Brazil A team.

Where's your sense of fairness and sense of spirit for fair competition?

I'm sure the UK and Ireland would love to have a Basketball world cup where we can compete with the big boys like the USA and Spain but nobody is interested because we don't have national teams that can compete with the best like we sometimes do in soccer. I'm sure if Ireland and England suddenly had basketball teams that could live with the USA and Australia and Spain then all of a sudden there would be huge interest in a basketball world cup.
What is the blue jesus are you waffling about ? All I am saying "is give peace a chance", sorry couldn't resist it, nah you might want to re read my posts, to be clear, born in England you play for England and if not chosen by them tough, not, oh England don't pick me, so I'll rob some Irish born kid the chance and his dream to pull on the Irish jersey because I'm lucky enough stoke want me, or wycombe or some other 2/3 tier English club and suddenly say, me granny was Orish and that makes me better than LOI players so I have to be picked, not all players want to run to England to play.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If a kid happens to be born in London to Irish parent(s) why can’t they identify as being Irish? I know plenty who would cut your throat in such circumstances if you even joked they are English

@patty123

Withnail

What is the blue jesus are you waffling about ? All I am saying "is give peace a chance", sorry couldn't resist it, nah you might want to re read my posts, to be clear, born in England you play for England and if not chosen by them tough, not, oh England don't pick me, so I'll rob some Irish born kid the chance and his dream to pull on the Irish jersey because I'm lucky enough stoke want me, or wycombe or some other 2/3 tier English club and suddenly say, me granny was Orish and that makes me better than LOI players so I have to be picked, not all players want to run to England to play.
You've got some bizarre views on this stuff.

Did some of the lads tell you they never wanted to go to England anyway?

I'm sure there might a few but the vast majority who have devoted their whole life to a sport would want to play at the highest level while being paid handsomely to do it, whether that be in England, Spain, France or wherever.

I also don't know why you're conflating the Irish playing abroad with the Irish born abroad.

It doesn't really matter but the majority of our squad were born here weren't they? 10 of the starting XI tonight and all of the starters in the last game were born in Ireland.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
You've got some bizarre views on this stuff.

Did some of the lads tell you they never wanted to go to England anyway?

I'm sure there might a few but the vast majority who have devoted their whole life to a sport would want to play at the highest level while being paid handsomely to do it, whether that be in England, Spain, France or wherever.

I also don't know why you're conflating the Irish playing abroad with the Irish born abroad.

It doesn't really matter but the majority of our squad were born here weren't they? 10 of the starting XI tonight and all of the starters in the last game were born in Ireland.
It is quite possibly the oddest moment in recent years to start talking about this. 95% of the team born in Ireland in the last two matches.

Pretty bad timing for his kinda chat :D

Status
Not open for further replies.