Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Withnail

I hope we can somehow poach Liam Delap from Man City the son of Rory..
Rory was second generation as it was.

His son was as english as.... whatever a really english thing is.

He's played under age for them and got a senior cap at City at 17. I don't think there is any chance of that.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

He's played under age for them and got a senior cap at City at 17. I don't think there is any chance of that.
A pork pie?

Deery

Dreary

He can qualify through the Grandparents rule..

But am just clutching at straws tbh..

As English as a Bulldog?!?!

Classical Mechanic

Think the signs are the Delap is committed to England. If he turned down a Friendly with Ireland that says a fair bit. It looks like Ireland havea good chance of nabbing Joe Hodge, who only qualifies for Ireland through one grand-parent.

Steven Ireland's highly rated son Joshua also plays for England at the moment so he's one Ireland should look at.

Louie Barry has a fair few England caps but has played in friendlies for Ireland so there's a chance there.

Egan-Riley at City has played for Ireland once.

Dennis Cirkin has a lot of caps for England but is actually Irish born. He was centre of an on pitch brawl in an England - Ireland youth match so that won't help Ireland's cause of getting him to switch.

Don't think Tommy Doyle qualifies for Ireland despite Long trying to tap him up once.

berbasloth4

can we settle to the fact we just arent good enough. didnt deserve the 2nd chance because we werent good enough in the group stages.

Stephen Kennys football is very boring if you dont have strikers who can score. McGoldrick needs dropped this striker who doesnt score goals but he works hard is biggest bullshit ever

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Think the signs are the Delap is committed to England. If he turned down a Friendly with Ireland that says a fair bit. It looks like Ireland havea good chance of nabbing Joe Hodge, who only qualifies for Ireland through one grand-parent.

Steven Ireland's highly rated son Joshua also plays for England at the moment so he's one Ireland should look at.

Louie Barry has a fair few England caps but has played in friendlies for Ireland so there's a chance there.

Egan-Riley at City has played for Ireland once.

Don't think Tommy Doyle qualifies for Ireland despite Long trying to tap him up once.
It is weird the amount of youth players we now have jumping between representing Ireland and England.

Classical Mechanic

It is weird the amount of youth players we now have jumping between representing Ireland and England.
I think 80% of the players in England's youth set-up qualify for other nations too. It's pretty common for players to play for more than one country at youth level. England have it with Dembele (Scotland), Musiala (Germany), Poveda Carlo (Columbia) among others. It's a sign of the times I guess.

Withnail

can we settle to the fact we just arent good enough. didnt deserve the 2nd chance because we werent good enough in the group stages.

Stephen Kennys football is very boring if you dont have strikers who can score. McGoldrick needs dropped this striker who doesnt score goals but he works hard is biggest bullshit ever
Given Kenny a second. He wasn't even supposed to take these games. I'd prefer the way we played last night to what went before.

It wasn't amazing but there were some good signs. We showed patience, composure and created some chances. Performances should improve the longer he has with the team.

Who should McGoldrick be dropped for? We don't have a huge amount of goal-scoring options just now.

Connolly's probably our best bet at the moment. Hopefully he gets a good run in the Brighton first team and continues to develop.

Brophs

The One and Only
Kevin Kilbane has said on OTB a few times that English youth players are encouraged to play for Ireland if they’re not near the English underage sides on the basis that “if you’re good enough we’ll be back for you”. Seems a bit fanciful but he’s been so certain there may be something in it.

For example, Phil Neville is a good mate of his but he seemed disgusted by Harvey Neville pitching up to play for us when it seems obvious that the only way he’ll play for us is if it’s made clear he won’t have a senior England career.

Classical Mechanic

Kevin Kilbane has said on OTB a few times that English youth players are encouraged to play for Ireland if they’re not near the English underage sides on the basis that “if you’re good enough we’ll be back for you”. Seems a bit fanciful but he’s been so certain there may be something in it.

For example, Phil Neville is a good mate of his but he seemed disgusted by Harvey Neville pitching up to play for us when it seems obvious that the only way he’ll play for us is if it’s made clear he won’t have a senior England career.
It doesn't really make sense because Ireland are still trying to entice players like Delap, Barry, Egan-Riley etc who are in the England youth sides and by their actions are pretty much showing that England are their first choice.

If countries want to play the dual-national game, as nearly all do, then you're going to end up with players that at best have mixed loyalties and at worst are playing for them simply because they want a major international tournament experience, rather than for any patriotic reasons. In England's case you had Obo-Flex who said in an interview that he might play for England because he thinks he'd earn more money as an England player.

Player motivations will not always marry with the ideals of fans.

What are the Irish fans thought on Patrick Bamford, would you accept him into the fold if he finally said yes tomorrow?

Champagne Football

Michael O'Neill changed the identity for Northern Ireland and he lost his first 2 games in charge there conceding 9 goals and not scoring any in return. It's gonna take time under Stephen Kenny.

I think most fans are happy to sacrifice qualifying for tournaments for the next few years if it means changing our hoof-ball neanderthal identity. An identity that managed to remain strong as ever under the last FAI regime because the board felt they could stay forever on the gravy-train as long as we were qualifying.

It's win-win under Kenny as he genuinely cares about football at all levels so will leave solid foundations no matter what happens as manager, and we will have a new FAI CEO and board with people in positions based on merit and not because they are a Delaney Yes-Man.

Last edited:

Withnail

It doesn't really make sense because Ireland are still trying to entice players like Delap, Barry, Egan-Riley etc who are in the England youth sides and by their actions are pretty much showing that England are their first choice.

If countries want to play the dual-national game, as nearly all do, then you're going to end up with players that at best have mixed loyalties and at worst are playing for them simply because they want a major international tournament experience, rather than for any patriotic reasons. In England's case you had Obo-Flex who said in an interview that he might play for England because he thinks he'd earn more money as an England player.

Player motivations will not always marry with the ideals of fans.

What are the Irish fans thought on Patrick Bamford, would you accept him into the fold if he finally said yes tomorrow?
Given he can score goals, yes I'd take him.

The likes of Kilbane, who grew up in England, seem to be a bit more vociferous about this type of thing.

As long as the players is committed and has the right attitude when he plays then I don't have an issue with it.

KiD MoYeS

Agreed, a lot of these players will represent England if they're deemed good enough. Like someone pointed out in this thread though, hopefully Kenny ball can attract more to declare for the boys in green.

KiD MoYeS

Anyway, U21 have a big game versus Italy next week and a very real chance to qualify for their European Championship. Definitely worth keeping an eye on and might give us a team to follow next year!

On last night, I was very impressed. It was the best football I've seen an Irish team play away from home in years and an indication, for me, that Kenny is worth sticking with.

Classical Mechanic

Given he can score goals, yes I'd take him.

The likes of Kilbane, who grew up in England, seem to be a bit more vociferous about this type of thing.

As long as the players is committed and has the right attitude when he plays then I don't have an issue with it.
I tend to see it like this too. I would have even been happy for Januzaj to declare for England on 5 year residency when he was threatening to be a top player.

Withnail

Why was Doherty taking a penalty before Shane Long or O’Dowda? Doesn’t make sense.
Usually it's on a volunteer basis. Whoever feels more confident puts their hand up.

Looks like Connolly missed out because his seat on the flight was 10cm to close to the infected back room staff, that explains his 1.9 tweet
That's makes sense. Kenny was talking after the game about trying to appeal it and mentioned something about 1.7 and 1.9m.

patty123

What, so he can make fecking eejits out of this country like his old man did with granny gate, who I read now wants to play for this country again :lol:. I am sick of young Irish kids of being robbed of their dreams when growing up and resenting this country just so some English reject cant get a game for them suddenly decides "hey I'm Orish" just because the English don't rate them and if suddenly they do, like with keane, grealish,rice , their back being English and this country is made look a fecking joke, never fecking support this shite and never will.

POF

What, so he can make fecking eejits out of this country like his old man did with granny gate, who I read now wants to play for this country again :lol:. I am sick of young Irish kids of being robbed of their dreams when growing up and resenting this country just so some English reject cant get a game for them suddenly decides "hey I'm Orish" just because the English don't rate them and if suddenly they do, like with keane, grealish,rice , their back being English and this country is made look a fecking joke, never fecking support this shite and never will.
Not even when Aldridge, Houghton, Sheedy, Townsend, etc were all starring for Ireland? That was one of the greatest ever eras for Irish football.

Ireland will always have some "Granny rule" players due to the history of the country. Emigration and a will to travel means huge numbers of Irish citizens living overseas.

If nothing else, the talented footballers will leave the country because they can't play in Ireland and have a top level career. Like Stephen Ireland, their kids are never likely to be been born in Ireland.

In a more globalised world, dual nationality is more and more prevalent. It's a shame for international football in my opinion because it makes it more like club football. The richer nations get the best dual nationality players and leave the dregs to the weaker nations. You'll get less examples of a weaker nation joining the elite because of a freak crop of talented players all at the same time. That's one of the joys of international football in my opinion.

patty123

Not even when Aldridge, Houghton, Sheedy, Townsend, etc were all starring for Ireland? That was one of the greatest ever eras for Irish football.

Ireland will always have some "Granny rule" players due to the history of the country. Emigration and a will to travel means huge numbers of Irish citizens living overseas.

If nothing else, the talented footballers will leave the country because they can't play in Ireland and have a top level career. Like Stephen Ireland, their kids are never likely to be been born in Ireland.
I went ice skating when the Englishman was putting the ball into the back of the England net in euro 88, went beer keg robbing while Dublin came to a stand still (even more of a ghost town than early April) during the 90 WC when Jack broken a record that still holds today, getting to a QF without winning a game and saw this country named and shamed by uefa/fifa as the main reason they changed the back pass rule, cant remember where I was for 94 and the one where the Englishman sent home the countries greatest ever player, I chose to work overtime.

No problem whatsoever with people going abroad to improve themselves, but lets be honest, the English that pretend to be Irish are not much better than whats playing for the nomads (rovers) Bohs, Pats etc.

Brophs

The One and Only
Yet again, the Illuminati do their best to make sure the Irish don’t take their rightful place atop the world game. They’re afraid of Stephen Kenny and his boys. They gave us the Covid lasagne.

kidbob

I count us at missing 8 players from the original squad for this game. Will do very well to get anything out of this considering that. Are we allowed bring extra players in for the Finland game?

POF

I went ice skating when the Englishman was putting the ball into the back of the England net in euro 88, went beer keg robbing while Dublin came to a stand still (even more of a ghost town than early April) during the 90 WC when Jack broken a record that still holds today, getting to a QF without winning a game and saw this country named and shamed by uefa/fifa as the main reason they changed the back pass rule, cant remember where I was for 94 and the one where the Englishman sent home the countries greatest ever player, I chose to work overtime.

No problem whatsoever with people going abroad to improve themselves, but lets be honest, the English that pretend to be Irish are not much better than whats playing for the nomads (rovers) Bohs, Pats etc.
In Euro 88 it was just Houghton (Scottish) and Whelan (Dub) who scored. Unless you count Sansom's assist.

Each to their own. I was a young impressionable kid in those days and they were fantastic times.

Whatever people say about Jack Charlton's tactics, his entire game plan was built around the high press. He was years ahead of his time.

LOIfan

Supports
bohemians
Pretty encouraging first half performance but my god Mick McCarthy is shocking on commentary, i think he'll start celebrating if Wales score

kidbob

Another good performance (especially in the circumstances) marred by a failure to take our chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.