Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deery

Dreary
Could we not pick a Dublin GAA 11 to play Luxembourg, would probably do better..

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
10 games with no wins is poor enough as is but even more so when a loss to Luxembourg is one of them. And for all that he's supposed to be an attacking manager, we've both blanked and looked toothless in attack in most of those games.

Sacking him might not solve anything but that record is absolutely worthy of being sacked for.

cyberman

Gotta go. May not think we can get much better but this isnt it. Its impossible to implement a successful pass and move style game plan with limited players and short windows to coach. You need readyvmade plauers to step in.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Worst ever result then I assume? 5-2 in Cyprus under Staunton felt like rock bottom but this is worse I'd say as a neutral.

dbs235

As an Englishman, I find Ireland less offensive than Wales and Scotland, but it's hard not to laugh at this scoreline ffs :lol:

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
a 1-0 loss to Luxembourg, at home. Is genuinely a new low for Irish football.i know they held France before, but this is seriously embarrassing

Green_Red

Is he still manager for the next game? Does it even matter? How is Shane Long still being picked? Strikers score goals, surely he can't be considered a striker anymore.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Sending a message to who? The next poor sap we have the try and convince to manage this shower of site? We’re not really in a position to act tough here.
So when does Kenny continuing become untenable. Do we have to get beaten by San Marino u12s? Its a results based game, coming back from this is a huge ask.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Zero point in sacking Kenny. Give him the rest of these games. If no improvement after the qualifiers than maybe.

But who?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
10 games with no wins is poor enough as is but even more so when a loss to Luxembourg is one of them. And for all that he's supposed to be an attacking manager, we've both blanked and looked toothless in attack in most of those games.

Sacking him might not solve anything but that record is absolutely worthy of being sacked for.
It’s definitely worthy of being sacked. Equally, nothing about the run of games under him has been any useful at working out if he’s any good or not. The standard of players available to him is a) amongst the worst in the history of Irish football and b) fecking constantly changing in personnel, from one week to the next. He might be good. He might be shit. We just don’t know. There’s been far too many other factors at play here.

Green_Red

I watched LOI tonight and there were players playing that were better than that shite. We need to start looking to develop Irish football to a point we can get a starting XI from the Irish leagues. It's a worthy ambition.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The players are not there, granted. But a different manager would be better. You wonder why previous managers played negative football, is because that was the only thing that worked. No way do we have the players to play total football.

I actually stopped watching Dunphy and Giles when they asserted that we should be playing good football. We just have not had the players for a while to do that.

Gee Male

I watched LOI tonight and there were players playing that were better than that shite. We need to start looking to develop Irish football to a point we can get a starting XI from the Irish leagues. It's a worthy ambition.
That's complete nonsense, the best LOI players are moving to clubs in League 1.

They were talking about Bazunu tonight saying that he was born the last time we played in the world Cup, 2002. Look at that Irish team, even without Keane. All of out unused subs were regular Premier League starters at the time. Look what we have now.

Players aren't there.

stubie

After watching that I don’t think I’ll complain about England anytime soon.

Green_Red

That's complete nonsense, the best LOI players are moving to clubs in League 1.

They were talking about Bazunu tonight saying that he was born the last time we played in the world Cup, 2002. Look at that Irish team, even without Keane. All of out unused subs were regular Premier League starters at the time. Look what we have now.

Players aren't there.
So, what level so the Luxembourg players play at? Where Irish players are moving to is irrelevant. The fact is players like Mc clean do not do enough at club / international level to warrant continued selection just because they play in the premier league or championship. 100% there are players in the LOI that would have been better than that shite tonight.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
It ebbs and flows. In 10 or 15 years time we could have decent players again.

We just dont have them at this present time.

galwayfa

But that's not a fair comparison, Luxembourg players are playing in most professional leagues, not a top level but still, players aren't there, our most successful time was playing long ball with actually our most technical team, loi players are great players at that level, but championship, league 1 and 2 are above that level in my opinion

Gee Male

So, what level so the Luxembourg players play at? Where Irish players are moving to is irrelevant. The fact is players like Mc clean do not do enough at club / international level to warrant continued selection just because they play in the premier league or championship. 100% there are players in the LOI that would have been better than that shite tonight.
100% that's nonsense, and I go to all Shamrock Rovers home games and a chunk of their away games, with some Cabinteely games thrown I'm for good measure.

The best player in LOI last few years was out of his depth at this level.

Red00012

:lol:

Tyrion

As an Englishman, I find Ireland less offensive than Wales and Scotland, but it's hard not to laugh at this scoreline ffs :lol:
I'm Irish and I find this funny. Its dark comedy. There's no way I'll actually laugh at this but deep down, it's kinda funny.

Tyrion

100% that's nonsense, and I go to all Shamrock Rovers home games and a chunk of their away games, with some Cabinteely games thrown I'm for good measure.

The best player in LOI last few years was out of his depth at this level.
Its probably wrong but for the sake of argument, shouldn't a LOI XI be able to beat Luxemborg?

Gee Male

Its probably wrong but for the sake of argument, shouldn't a LOI XI be able to beat Luxemborg?
Nope, no chance. Honestly zero chance.

I love the LOI, I go to the games, I support it, its great. But let's not pretend it's anything in terms of quality. A LOI XI wouldn't beat many international teams, definitely not one whose best player is good enough for Dynamo Kiev.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If we get to a point where us losing to Luxembourg no longer prompts laughter then we really are fecked.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
They actually deserved to win. We created nothing. If they were braver they could have won by 2 or 3.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Nope, no chance. Honestly zero chance.

I love the LOI, I go to the games, I support it, its great. But let's not pretend it's anything in terms of quality. A LOI XI wouldn't beat many international teams, definitely not one whose best player is good enough for Dynamo Kiev.
Would the Dublin gaelic footballers have a better chance? Nearly would i would guess.

Robbie Boy

I think the whole rhetoric that we 'try to play football' under him is often exaggerated. We look absolutely clueless at times. It's not hoof ball, granted. But that doesn't make it good football. I love Kenny's ideas but the reality is very different. The squad is very poor and that's obviously a huge factor.

Gee Male

Lads, Luxembourg tonight had a centre half from Racing Santander, a right back from Standard Liege, the lad that scored plays for Kiev. Some of the posts here seem to think that their players are LOI level - they're not, they're better than that. Much better.

Champagne Football

Kenny deserves till the end of the campaign based on the fact that the likes of Jason Knight, Molumby and O'Shea need to be getting valuable experience and International caps. Those kinds of young players get neglected under managers like McCarthy or O'Neill who are only thinking about the short term, and go and try to beg players like David McGoldrick, Walters etc to give us one more campaign, which means the likes of Ida, Connolly, Knight get ignored.

Wales are giving game time to talented young kids even if they are not getting games for their clubs, knowing they they will come good eventually and that's reallyy what we have to do also now.

Kenny perhaps isn't the man going forward, but the FAI are broke because of Delaney's years of mismanagement and greed, and we will probably need to hang onto Kenny at least until the likes of Idah, Knight, Molumby and O'Shea have 20 or 30 international caps under their belts - so at least the next guy taking over can have something to build from.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Their scorer plays in the CL. They’ve also got players in the Bundesliga, Portuguese Primera Liga, Belgian Pro League, Ukrainian top division, Spanish Segunda and others. They’d destroy a LOI XI.

Status
Not open for further replies.