Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Anyone here who followed the game vs Luxembourg can tell me if they played well tonight?

lsd

The Oracle
Why ?
What can another manager do ? What decent manager would want to touch this job.
Back to Martin oNeill style shite?

May as well stick with him. Weve no hope either way so feck it.

Yeah would be pointless sacking him and going to Back to hoofball.

Our squad is terrible, is completely lacking in quality so may as well stick with him trying to play the right way and hope in doing so some decent players will come along or develop

Brophs

The One and Only
More proof we need proper investment in the Irish leagues. There are hurling players in Ireland that could have put this Luxembourg team away in a game of soccer.
Could we not pick a Dublin GAA 11 to play Luxembourg, would probably do better..
I genuinely think the level of professionalism would be higher.
I watched LOI tonight and there were players playing that were better than that shite. We need to start looking to develop Irish football to a point we can get a starting XI from the Irish leagues. It's a worthy ambition.
Its probably wrong but for the sake of argument, shouldn't a LOI XI be able to beat Luxemborg?
Would the Dublin gaelic footballers have a better chance? Nearly would i would guess.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Anyone here who followed the game vs Luxembourg can tell me if they played well tonight?
Luxembourg deserved the win. However, I would expect any World Cup standard team to beat them.

Gee Male

Irish sports fans have a serious issues. We love to laugh at our football team for being shite without ever acknowledging the impossible task we face in competing, yet we love other teams for mediocrity in minority sports. As a football fan I fecking hate that, especially when talking to other football fans who only really support a big English team in their football fandom. It's genuinely infuriating.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
How Luxembourg played? They were decent, Rodrigues up top showed quality with the goal and the chip earlier in the game. Vincent Thill was really good too, looked the most creative player on the pitch. Plays for Nacional so you’ve probably seen him before.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Luxembourg deserved the win. However, I would expect any World Cup standard team to beat them.
I noticed on the qualification for the Euros they created unexpected difficulties for us, reason why I am somewhat worried with how they will set up against us. Let’s see what happens in the group.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
How Luxembourg played? They were decent, Rodrigues up top showed quality with the goal and the chip earlier in the game. Vincent Thill was really good too, looked the most creative player on the pitch. Plays for Nacional so you’ve probably seen him before.
Yes, I don’t follow Nacional much, but he hasn’t been consistent for them, like the rest of the team, but I am not expecting a easy game Tuesday, particularly after the second half shitshow in Belgrade.

Ludens the Red

Shocking result that.
Think it’s time the Irish FA pull their finger out.......
And start looking at which uncapped English players have Irish grandparents (preferably not players like Callum Robinson)

Jack O’Connell at Sheffield United
Tommy Doyle at City
Nathan Byrne at Wigan
And of course Aaron Wan Bissaka, as being from Croydon got Clinton Morrison in the Ireland squad.

Good place to start. And maybe try and get it though Bamfords thick head he’ll never play for England.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
What’s the verdict now on Kenny; keep faith in him and stay with the long term plan (there’s a plan?) or ditch him quick before it gets even worse (is that possible?)?

Champagne Football

What’s the verdict now on Kenny; keep faith in him and stay with the long term plan (there’s a plan?) or ditch him quick before it gets even worse (is that possible?)?
Definitely give him till the end of the campaign. To be honest I expected this result today. We are utter horse-shite now but the hope will be that in a year or two, the likes of Idah, Knight, Molumby will become important players for their clubs, maybe get into the premier league, and then they will have 20 ireland caps under their belts.....maybe one or two granny rule players emerge from nowheere too.

Then if Kenny still can't win when our younger players have a bit of experience, then ditch him and bring in a young coach with a long term vision.

Giving the job the someone like Chris Hughton would be a major step backwards. You'd have some Cascarino clone suddenly declaring for Ireland and it would be hoof ball all over again, with Long and McClean the first names on the team sheet.

izec

Luxembourg is a good side, they will qualify for a tournament this decade. Massive improvements over the last 5-6 years

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Shocking result that.
Think it’s time the Irish FA pull their finger out.......
And start looking at which uncapped English players have Irish grandparents (preferably not players like Callum Robinson)

Jack O’Connell at Sheffield United
Tommy Doyle at City
Nathan Byrne at Wigan
And of course Aaron Wan Bissaka, as being from Croydon got Clinton Morrison in the Ireland squad.

Good place to start. And maybe try and get it though Bamfords thick head he’ll never play for England.
Clinton Morrison playing for Ireland is still one of the funniest things I have ever witnessed.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
0 wins and 3 goals in 10 games. Fecking grim.

I don't even understand the "We're playing good football." argument. We're not. We're playing safe, boring, unimaginative, extremely ineffective football.
Haven't you got the memo, tip tappy football means 'good football' it doesn't matter if you cannot do anything with the ball or only pass to each other in your own two thirds, as you're 'controlling possession'.

Green_Red

That was sarcasm, of course I don't think hurlers would even compete. It was so exaggerated I thought people would pick that up.

POF

The difference in the game was a moment of quality that not one player in the Ireland squad would be capable of producing. He almost did it earlier with the lob that Bazunu saved.

It was a deserved win for Luxembourg. Irish football needs to reassess it's expectations with this pool of players. Browne, Collins and Robinson as a front 3 is nowhere near international quality.

I think leaving Duffy out was a mistake. He may be struggling at Celtic but he is at least 50% of Ireland's goal threat. If you can get Duffy and Hourihane or Brady on the pitch, you have a chance from set pieces.

I'm all for playing better football but Ireland has zero attacking quality. Why negate your only real chance of scoring goals?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Luxembourg is a good side, they will qualify for a tournament this decade. Massive improvements over the last 5-6 years
I can't say I've seen a minute of them playing but at the same time I'm kind of sceptical. They're good, with this set of results?

Not going to be so brave as to rule them out of qualifying though, it's quite easy to qualify for stuff these days with an expanded Euros. especially with the Nations League pathway into it.

Jericho

I haven't watched any of the games lately, but is there any justification for the players he's been leaving on the bench? Hendrick, Brady, McClean should all be starting surely.

Red00012

I haven't watched any of the games lately, but is there any justification for the players he's been leaving on the bench? Hendrick, Brady, McClean should all be starting surely.
Brady came on and gave the ball away , the fact McClean came on shows how bad we are .

izec

I can't say I've seen a minute of them playing but at the same time I'm kind of sceptical. They're good, with this set of results?

Not going to be so brave as to rule them out of qualifying though, it's quite easy to qualify for stuff these days with an expanded Euros. especially with the Nations League pathway into it.

well yes, compared to 10 years ago, where they couldnt win a game to save their lives, even against Andorra or Liechtenstein. Give it another 5 years, the consistency is lacking, but the results are decent, even the losses are mostly to one goal. And if you watch the games, they concede stupid and unlucky goals.

With Nations League, it should be actually easily possible. But even without it, i expect them to challenge gor the second placed in another 5-6 years if they keep going. More and more youth players are playing in decent youth teams across Europe.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Hugely disappointing, particularly second half. As poor as we've been under Kenny. Never looked like scoring. Luxembourg deserved it, very organised and in Rodriguez and Thill they had the two best players on the pitch. I've been 100% behind Kenny but this is a massive blow. You'd have to think this campaign is gone. Portugal away next. Pointless bringing a new face in in this scenario. He should have until the end of the campaign to show if he can make it work.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
And if you watch the games, they concede stupid and unlucky goals.
If I am not wrong Ukraine needed a last minute goal to win the game in Luxembourg, and despite the 3:0 and 2:0 games vs Portugal, they actually were 2 difficult games, and before that they had a draw in France too.

Cast5

Conceded 3 goals against Madagascar :lol:

Chipper

Adulterer.
well yes, compared to 10 years ago, where they couldnt win a game to save their lives, even against Andorra or Liechtenstein. Give it another 5 years, the consistency is lacking, but the results are decent, even the losses are mostly to one goal. And if you watch the games, they concede stupid and unlucky goals.

With Nations League, it should be actually easily possible. But even without it, i expect them to challenge gor the second placed in another 5-6 years if they keep going. More and more youth players are playing in decent youth teams across Europe.
Ah I wouldn't dispute them being better than they were at one time inn the past and good in comparison to that, I was more questioning whether they're good in general. They seem to be able to beat the absolute worst 10-15 European teams off those results and not much else, maybe they're about 40th best in UEFA? Suppose we could get relative and say that makes them better than quite a lot of countries on the world stage if including sides from Oceania, Asia and CONCACAF, maybe my standards are too high?

Actually looked at their results again, and I didn't mean to do this but if I'd have gone back a page further they had a nice run in 2018, maybe they've actually gone slightly backwards since then even?

Beating Ireland is the most impressive win of the lot on paper, but Hungary and Georgia look marginally better than other wins from more recently. Only a friendly but a draw against Senegal looks solid too.

Guess only time will tell if they go forward and continue improving or not. It's not always a straightforward march of increasingly getting better of course. I've got some Estonian members of my family so look out of their results from time to time and I remember them being in a playoff against Ireland funnily enough after finishing runners-up in their group for Euro 2012. They beat Serbia away and drew with them at home, won away in Slovenia and took 6 points out of 6 against N. Irealnd to get to that play off spot. Also managed to lose against the Faroe Islands. :lol: That of course before Nations League existed and fewer teams qualified then. Anyway, they've just gone completely backwards since and that was as good as it got. Now Luxembourg are probably better than them.

izec

If I am not wrong Ukraine needed a last minute goal to win the game in Luxembourg, and despite the 3:0 and 2:0 games vs Portugal, they actually were 2 difficult games, and before that they had a draw in France too.
Yes. I was in the stadium for the Portugal and Serbia games. It is what usually happens, in the second half the smaller team runs out of gas and concedes goals they wouldnt concede in the first half.

They outplayed Serbia in the first half, but then got punished by Mitrovic and the game took its course.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yes. I was in the stadium for the Portugal and Serbia games. It is what usually happens, in the second half the smaller team runs out of gas and concedes goals they wouldnt concede in the first half.

They outplayed Serbia in the first half, but then got punished by Mitrovic and the game took its course.
Reason why I have been warning people who don’t follow regularly International Football that the level of difficulty vs Luxembourg will be much higher than it was vs Azerbaijan, it’s really a tricky game where the tentation to rotate after a draw in Serbia can be dangerous, anything less than 3 points for Portugal is a disaster, Luxembourg has no pressure Tuesday, maybe they can play their best 11, Portugal needs to make a couple of changes.

Swiss_Red89

Switzerland also lost to Luxemburg at home in the beginning of the WC 2010 qualifiers. I will never forget that game as i was in the stadium and couldn't believe what i'm seeing.:houllier:

We still qualified for the 2010 WC so this may give you hope...probably not:wenger:

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Rather than questioning if the Luxemburg players are better because quite a few of them play at high level, shouldn't the question be:
How come tiny countries with half a million inhabitants like luxemburg and iceland can produce semi-decent players, yet Ireland can't (anymore)??

POF

Rather than questioning if the Luxemburg players are better because quite a few of them play at high level, shouldn't the question be:
How come tiny countries with half a million inhabitants like luxemburg and iceland can produce semi-decent players, yet Ireland can't (anymore)??
The real question is how a country with 3.5/4 million inhabitants were able to produce players to compete at a high level over almost 20 years from the late 1980s to mid 2000s.

In particular when run by a corrupt organisation who wasted the money earned in that era and completely failed to put structures in place to develop players at grass roots level.

That was the anomaly. Ireland completely piggy backed off English football to develop players. Now, with the influx of more players from continental Europe into English football, the Irish young players are moving further down the English football pyramid and this is the reality.

Coleman and Kenny's interviews were pretty disappointing. "Unacceptable" to lose to Luxembourg. We'll "take it on the chin". Usual nonsense that shows they haven't got the first idea how to improve.

The worst one is "we need to show pride in the jersey and we didn't do that today". Why not? Why didn't they show pride? Or is the reality that they tried their best and were outplayed by Luxembourg who had more talented forwards.

Name Changed

weso26
We are out now, might as well give him the rest of the campaign.

To be fair, that was the worst we have played under him. I know we haven't won a game, but we were half decent. Tonight was shocking. Luxembourg absolutely deserved their win..

Status
Not open for further replies.