Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

Sickening listening to Dunphy at the minute after he hammered O'Neill before the game.
Happens after every good result. They spend as much time validating their pre match nonsense as they do analysing the actual game.

Brophs

The One and Only
Totally justified in turning down a jolly to this game. :(

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Absolutley buzzing, Wales are nought without Bale, barely tested our defence. Time to reset and do it all again in a few weeks.

MiceOnMeth

Happens after every good result. They spend as much time validating their pre match nonsense as they do analysing the actual game.
Ireland created one clear chance all game and are the joint lowest scorers of all the second placed teams so Eamon's criticisms of O Neill aren't entirely unjust

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
YA F.U.C.K.I.N.G BOYS!!!!

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Ireland created one clear chance all game and are the joint lowest scorers of all the second placed teams so Eamon's criticisms of O Neill aren't entirely unjust
Go suck a f**k xo

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Yet we beat two teams higher ranked than us away from home in this campaign - compared to doing this only once since 1987.

And probably with one of our most average squads as well in quite some time. Let’s not kid ourselves, 4th best team in our group on paper.

International games is results driven, little room for error. Sooner people get their head out of the clouds the fecking better

COYBIG

lem8sh

Yet we beat two teams higher ranked than us away from home in this campaign - compared to doing this only once since 1987.

And probably with one of our most average squads as well in quite some time. Let’s not kid ourselves, 4th best team in our group on paper.

International games is results driven, little room for error. Sooner people get their head out of the clouds the fecking better

COYBIG
See you in Dublin for the play off xx

automaticflare

It is a testament to the players we got through.

The tactics are awful. We look absolutely shattered by 70m every game because of how we play.

Duffy and Clark we're immense today but wales were not particularly threatening. They are just as likely to give up a mistake next game. Same with ward

Meyler will be a big loss in the first leg hopefully we don't revert to whelan. Nothing player.

It's a great result but in all reality we should have won this group. We were 5 points clear at one point and gave up pathetic points because our manager does not trust our players. It is a shame but the press will gloss over that fact and the result will mask the deficiency. If Iceland can top a group of Croatia, Ukraine and turkey we can and should have the belief to top Serbia, Austria and Wales especially with a 5 point lead

I can't see us beating anyone seeded in the playoffs to be honest. Our best bet is Sweden(I think, unsure of when seedlings are from) over Italy, Croatia and either Switzerland/Portugal but here is to hoping our players courage and guts can see us through because I don't believe our managers tactics will.

Also would love to see Coleman back to lead us at World Cup especially knowing it was at the expense of Wales. Absolute dirt bags of a team I don't care what anyone says

Reactions: KM

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
These aren't the days of Harte, Duff, Staunton, Keane, Keane, O'Shea, Given, Quinn, McAteer, Holland, Kilbane, et al (even the likes of Connolly).

To reach the European Championships and a World Cup play off with this squad (McCarthy and Coleman, two best players injured) is a fecking great achievement. O'Neill has done very well. This is the worst Irish team on paper in decades.

cyberman

We're also one of the worst 2nd place sides though.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

The tactics are awful. We look absolutely shattered by 70m every game because of how we play.

Duffy and Clark we're immense today but wales were not particularly threatening. They are just as likely to give up a mistake next game. Same with ward

Meyler will be a big loss in the first leg hopefully we don't revert to whelan. Nothing player.

It's a great result but in all reality we should have won this group. We were 5 points clear at one point and gave up pathetic points because our manager does not trust our players. It is a shame but the press will gloss over that fact and the result will mask the deficiency. If Iceland can top a group of Croatia, Ukraine and turkey we can and should have the belief to top Serbia, Austria and Wales especially with a 5 point lead

I can't see us beating anyone seeded in the playoffs to be honest. Our best bet is Sweden(I think, unsure of when seedlings are from) over Italy, Croatia and either Switzerland/Portugal but here is to hoping our players courage and guts can see us through because I don't believe our managers tactics will.

Also would love to see Coleman back to lead us at World Cup especially knowing it was at the expense of Wales. Absolute dirt bags of a team I don't care what anyone says
The other way to look at that is that we were five points clear (and ultimately finished second) in a group where we had probably the fourth best group of players?

If we underperformed so badly and still finished second then the Serbians, Welsh and Austrians should be absolutely ashamed of themselves.

Champagne Football

Meyler, Duffy and McClean all epic tonight. Martin O'Neill has been making critics eat their words for decades. I'm a fan. It's not tiki taka but it's not as bad as sections of the media (Dunphy) try to make out. Thoroughly enjoyed that

cyberman

8th second placed in 9.
Greece is arguable, I think there's a bit more about us and Sweden weren't up to much when we played at the Euros.
I would say were more of a cup team in terms of stats. This squad won't consistently score goals or play expansive football for a period of time but we fight to give ourselves a chance every game we play.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Greece is arguable, I think there's a bit more about us and Sweden weren't up to much when we played at the Euros.
I would say were more of a cup team in terms of stats. This squad won't consistently score goals or play expansive football for a period of time but we fight to give ourselves a chance every game we play.
I wasn't saying my opinion, I was checking the rankings of second placed teams in Wikipedia, if we tomorrow don't beat Switzerland the unseeded team I would like to get is Greece, even after 2004, and avoid Sweden at all costs.

lem8sh

Couldn't agree more.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Bit of a shit match between us tonight. The second I knew we were going in without Bale, I didn't have much expectations. We lack the cutting edge.
Good finish by McClean tonight and on the whole, defended well.

Congratulations.

Roberto420

Meyler, Duffy and McClean all epic tonight. Martin O'Neill has been making critics eat their words for decades. I'm a fan. It's not tiki taka but it's not as bad as sections of the media (Dunphy) try to make out. Thoroughly enjoyed that
Totally agree its not like Wes is gonna make the whole team perform like barca even when we had keane and keane in cm and cf we still played pretty similar obviously Keano would put his foot on the ball in his latter years but under jack it was even worse than under O Neill and he had a far superior pool of players to pick from probably our best ever

Its the Ireland way after all we're just here for the craic :wenger:

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Good win. We scored a good goal too, well made and well finished.
Hard to see us beating any of the seeds over 2 legs but at least we are there.Great spirit in the side.

TheCorkman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You play to your strengths. We can play Wes and have a few nice passages but we're still unlikely to score. Focusing on our pressing, counter attacks and set pieces win us games. Our strengths are our work rate, tackling ability, set pieces and most importantly, our attitude. You can tell that almost all of the squad absolutely love playing for Ireland which I feel really gives us an edge. Murphy can't start again though, Long for all his faults helps the team much more. Hopefully we see more Maguire instead of Murphy also who has been sensational for 18 months (and Whelan should be put away for Rice/O'Kane).

Just to also note, players like Hendrick, McClean and Brady aren't pub players like media make out. We've all seen them exceptional moments over the past few years - turn off RTE and let your own eyes do some work. And Liam Brady is talked pure crap too - there's a decent selection of young players coming through with O'Dowda, Maguire, Rice and Cullen on the fringes as well as O'Connor, Molumby, Kelleher, Ronan, Parrott, McAuley further down the line.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
If Ireland don't win tonight will it be the end of the road for a lot of these players? I am still astounded by the timing of extending MON's deal. Not to say we have a multitude of better options out there but we have clearly regressed since the Euros.
Ha.

Tincanalley

Absolute belter can't believe we beat them I genuinely didn't give us a hope in hell

Some of my welsh mates blaming the ref short memories I remember them at the Aviva 2 leg breakers a boot to the head aswell but apparently we play rough not them.

How good was Hendricks to close down then keep the ball in play and then had the composure to pick out a man.
He was class. Yea, think they had that treatment coming. Fair play to the ref, let a bit go.

Tincanalley

Just got home from the pub. Epic night. Savage performance from the lads. Great singing by the Welsh. One Welsh lad in the pub he was ... eh, gracious. But we went mental when we scored. The last five minutes was excruciating, but we totally deserved it. Great save by Darren Randolph i teh first half. The goal was a thing of beauty. Yesssssssssssss..... come on, Ireland.

Tincanalley

You play to your strengths. We can play Wes and have a few nice passages but we're still unlikely to score. Focusing on our pressing, counter attacks and set pieces win us games. Our strengths are our work rate, tackling ability, set pieces and most importantly, our attitude. You can tell that almost all of the squad absolutely love playing for Ireland which I feel really gives us an edge. Murphy can't start again though, Long for all his faults helps the team much more. Hopefully we see more Maguire instead of Murphy also who has been sensational for 18 months (and Whelan should be put away for Rice/O'Kane).

Just to also note, players like Hendrick, McClean and Brady aren't pub players like media make out. We've all seen them exceptional moments over the past few years - turn off RTE and let your own eyes do some work. And Liam Brady is talked pure crap too - there's a decent selection of young players coming through with O'Dowda, Maguire, Rice and Cullen on the fringes as well as O'Connor, Molumby, Kelleher, Ronan, Parrott, McAuley further down the line.
Well said, mate.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Might be more interest in your post in this thread. I read it and forgot how many feckin playoffs we have lost

I'll start off by admitting that I am very drunk so bear with me for the rambling!

We all gave O'Neill and this side a lot of shit this year. After getting into a great position over the first half of the group, we've had a shit 2017 and some of the tactics and performances, particularly away from home have been shite.

Only last week I was giving him dogs abuse about getting a new contract after the Georgia performance and how it looked as though it had cost us the group.

But his tactics were perfect today. Surrender possession, play with commitment, aggression and defend brilliantly - frustrate them for an hour and then nick a goal and see it out.

We can give out about defensive football all day but we're a small footballing country and there's nothing wrong with pragmatism when it gets results. I was born in 1986 and our record in qualifying campaigns since then is bloody superb!

1988 we topped a group including Bulgaria, Belgium and Scotland.
1990 we qualified automatically from a group including Spain, Hungary and Northern Ireland (finished 1 point behind Spain).
1992 we missed out on qualification by 1 point, finishing second to England in a group including them, Poland and Turkey.
1994 we qualified automatically from a group including Spain, Denmark and Northern Ireland (finished 1 point behind Spain again).
1996 we qualified for a playoff, finishing 2nd to Portugal in a group including them, Northern Ireland and Austria. We lost in the playoff to Holland.
1998 we qualified for a playoff, finishing 2nd to Romania in a group including them, Lithuania and Iceland. We lost in the playoff to Belgium.
2000 we qualified for a playoff, finishing 2nd to Yugoslavia (last minute goal to Macedonia in the last game cost us 1st) in a group including Croatia. Lost the playoff to Turkey
2002 we qualified for a playoff, finishing 2nd on goal difference to Portugal in a group including them, Holland and Estonia. We beat Iran in the playoff to qualify.
2004 we finished 3rd in a group containing Switzerland and Russia. We lost 2-0 to Switzerland in Basel in a winner takes all final match of the group.
2006 we finished 4th in a group containing France, Switzerland and Israel. In a tight group we only finished 3 points behind group winners France.
2008 we finished 3rd in a group containing Czech Republic, Germany, Slovakia and Wales.
2010 we qualified for a playoff, finishing 2nd to Italy in a group including them and Bulgaria. Lost the playoff to France because of Henry the prick and his dirty fecking hand.
2012 we qualified for a playoff, finishing 2nd by 2 points to Russia in a group including them, Armenia and Slovakia. We beat Estonia in the playoff to qualify.
2014 we finished 4th in a group containing Germany, Sweden and Austria.
2016 we qualified for playoff in a group containing Germany, Poland and Scotland. We beat Bosnia & Herzegovina in the playoff to qualify.

Then this year we qualify for a playoff, finishing 2nd in a group containing Serbia, Wales and Austria.

We're not the most exciting team in the world to watch - never have been and never will be. But feck it we punch above our weight and we're in contention at the business end of qualifying campaigns far more often than we would be playing naive but pretty football.

Status
Not open for further replies.