Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champagne Football

Chris Coleman is pure class. Loved listening to him give the interview on rte after. Said that if they were gonna lose then they'd prefer to lose at least to a home nation and hope they go on to do well in play offs

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Ireland created one clear chance all game and are the joint lowest scorers of all the second placed teams so Eamon's criticisms of O Neill aren't entirely unjust
Utter dosh. Fantastic performance in highly charged and difficult circumstances. Brilliant.
EDIT: @automaticflare right on.

automaticflare

You play to your strengths. We can play Wes and have a few nice passages but we're still unlikely to score. Focusing on our pressing, counter attacks and set pieces win us games. Our strengths are our work rate, tackling ability, set pieces and most importantly, our attitude. You can tell that almost all of the squad absolutely love playing for Ireland which I feel really gives us an edge. Murphy can't start again though, Long for all his faults helps the team much more. Hopefully we see more Maguire instead of Murphy also who has been sensational for 18 months (and Whelan should be put away for Rice/O'Kane).

Just to also note, players like Hendrick, McClean and Brady aren't pub players like media make out. We've all seen them exceptional moments over the past few years - turn off RTE and let your own eyes do some work. And Liam Brady is talked pure crap too - there's a decent selection of young players coming through with O'Dowda, Maguire, Rice and Cullen on the fringes as well as O'Connor, Molumby, Kelleher, Ronan, Parrott, McAuley further down the line.
If anything rte panel have called out o neill for not haveing faith in lads like Hendricks McLean etc and having them play like dogs who just run and run and run and run

Als the young players we have coming through are pretty decent but the fact we only really export to England is going to kill us with the continued influx of foreigners and manager turnover.

If I was a young lad it would be hard to turn down signing for a premier league club but would have much more luck experience playing abroad in fecking Belgium or holland and getting game time the problem is those leagues have grown used to player turnover and re invest locally to keep production line going of national talent they are unlikely to go poach a player from some Irish team.

We are so reliant on premier league it is a joke because the FAI do absolutely feck all to invest in youth in Ireland.

Also football is not about being a footballer in a lot of cases it is used as a means to celebrity/ fame by young lads now. Very sad to see. As keane once said it is a Facebook culture. More interested in selfies and shoes than playing ball. It was even the same at mid amateur levels with the younger lads I played with before I emigrated.

The game is ruined by money and once money came in and pop star personalities the international game declined and national leagues became a rat race with instant success a requirement

Eire Red United

Does anyone know what the craic is with the playoffs? Guessing we aren't seeded? Possible opponents? I'm clueless.
Depends how the world rankings end up after this round I think. Ideal situation is us not seeded and the North are and draw them.

Eire Red United

It is a testament to the players we got through.

The tactics are awful. We look absolutely shattered by 70m every game because of how we play.

Duffy and Clark we're immense today but wales were not particularly threatening. They are just as likely to give up a mistake next game. Same with ward

Meyler will be a big loss in the first leg hopefully we don't revert to whelan. Nothing player.

It's a great result but in all reality we should have won this group. We were 5 points clear at one point and gave up pathetic points because our manager does not trust our players. It is a shame but the press will gloss over that fact and the result will mask the deficiency. If Iceland can top a group of Croatia, Ukraine and turkey we can and should have the belief to top Serbia, Austria and Wales especially with a 5 point lead

I can't see us beating anyone seeded in the playoffs to be honest. Our best bet is Sweden(I think, unsure of when seedlings are from) over Italy, Croatia and either Switzerland/Portugal but here is to hoping our players courage and guts can see us through because I don't believe our managers tactics will.

Also would love to see Coleman back to lead us at World Cup especially knowing it was at the expense of Wales. Absolute dirt bags of a team I don't care what anyone says
Think that Coleman incident was at the back of the lads minds last night because by fcuk we got stuck into them.

Scarlet Spider

Never been so happy to be proven wrong in my life. The team defended magnificently even when they didn't get the rub of the green from a referee who was happy to play to the home crowd. If we get a favourable draw and avoid Italy, Croatia and Portugal we could be looking at a World Cup in the summer.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Favourite moments of match. Great Welsh singing. Superb tip-over save by Randolph. A modest collection of meaty tackles. Artur's step-over (wtf?). Right footed, McClean. Great Welsh silence.

lewwoo

Congratulations Ireland. Hope you join us in Russia next year as long as you don't knock us out!

LisburnWhite

Depends how the world rankings end up after this round I think. Ideal situation is us not seeded and the North are and draw them.
Not going to happen, both teams will definitely not be seeded so wont end up playing each other.
Think this is best as Northern Ireland have moved a great deal in recent years to a more family friendly atmosphere and don't want any chance of a relapse as might happen against our neighbours.
Good luck to you, and hope to see both teams in WC 2018,

Scarlet Spider

Not going to happen, both teams will definitely not be seeded so wont end up playing each other.
Think this is best as Northern Ireland have moved a great deal in recent years to a more family friendly atmosphere and don't want any chance of a relapse as might happen against our neighbours.
Good luck to you, and hope to see both teams in WC 2018,
Surely it's the case that the progression that the North has made in terms of improving the atmosphere towards family friendly means that the game could go ahead without incident. It would be a massive achievement if ROI could play the North home and away without incident. Look at the great rapport between the fans of both sides during the Euros last year.

ZAGREB RED

I think MON proved his motivational powers last night with that result, he always seems to be able to inspire players to greater levels. Wales looked a bit shell shocked when they went behind and as the game went on they looked increasingly unlikely to score. It seemed to be an Irish head or boot on the end of every ball into their box.
Bit of debate about the two Irish teams meeting each other in the playoffs in this thread, I read somewhere that N. Ireland and Wales would both be seeded if they made the playoffs, where Scotland and the Republic wouldn't, not sure if that is the case.

Scarlet Spider

Irish Times reporting both ROI and the North are unseeded we will be playing one of Portugal/ Switzerland, Italy, Croatia or Denmark.

LisburnWhite

Surely it's the case that the progression that the North has made in terms of improving the atmosphere towards family friendly means that the game could go ahead without incident. It would be a massive achievement if ROI could play the North home and away without incident. Look at the great rapport between the fans of both sides during the Euros last year.
In an ideal world yes that would be great but we all know this country and there is still (with a few mainly older fans) bad feelings towards each other.
It has come incredibly far and I'm certain that in a neutral venue if a WC finals or Euro's then there would be no issue at all but back home I'm just glad we don't have to risk even if the chance of trouble is slight.
Don't get me wrong I don't think we would have major incidents and sure the Nations Cup went fine but just glad its not going to happen this year.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...rthern-ireland-v-republic-match-36150532.html
This happened last month and would love to see the day when both flags and both anthems could be sung in Belfast and Dublin which hopefully is not too far off.

ZAGREB RED

In an ideal world yes that would be great but we all know this country and there is still (with a few mainly older fans) bad feelings towards each other.
It has come incredibly far and I'm certain that in a neutral venue if a WC finals or Euro's then there would be no issue at all but back home I'm just glad we don't have to risk even if the chance of trouble is slight.
Don't get me wrong I don't think we would have major incidents and sure the Nations Cup went fine but just glad its not going to happen this year.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...rthern-ireland-v-republic-match-36150532.html
This happened last month and would love to see the day when both flags and both anthems could be sung in Belfast and Dublin which hopefully is not too far off.
I'm sure Neil Lennon went to a game at Windsor not long ago, first time he had been there since his "enforced retirement" from the NI national team and he commented on how much better the atmosphere is and said he encountered no problems.

Mitser

Never been so happy to be proven wrong in my life. The team defended magnificently even when they didn't get the rub of the green from a referee who was happy to play to the home crowd. If we get a favourable draw and avoid Italy, Croatia and Portugal we could be looking at a World Cup in the summer.
As an Irish fan, I thought the ref was excellent.
We were very physical throughout and I thought he could have been harsher at times.

ZAGREB RED

As an Irish fan, I thought the ref was excellent.
We were very physical throughout and I thought he could have been harsher at times.
]
McClean was lucky not to get a second yellow late on, would have ruled him out of the first playoff match. Ref was surprisingly lenient for a Continental, they are usually more picky about tackles than UK refs, but he let a fair bit go for both sides.

POF

You make some good points but it wasn't just Davis, Evans and Norwood who looked comfortable on the ball. It seemed to be the whole team. They all just looked so much more willing to try and play their way out of tight corners and generally back their own ability, compared to our own BIG. Their front three are all average Championship players but their link-up play in the final third was streets ahead of what we're used to, bar the occasional bit of class from Hoolahan (whenever he actually gets picked)
Hoolahan is an average championship player too but he's a technical player. If Ireland had a few more like him maybe they could play a different style but I honestly don't think they are capable of it.

James McClean, Jon Walters, Shane Long and Daryl Murphy are the key forwards in this squad and they just aren't technical footballers. You have to play to your strengths and clever, intricate link up play will never be a strength of those players.

Saying that, what a performance by the boys in Cardiff. They're a limited bunch and play dire stuff but they have a fantastic mentality, great spirit and are the kind of group you enjoy seeing do well. I am delighted for them.

diarm

I'd prefer to avoid Denmark, Switzerland or Portugal I reckon. Italy and Croatia are somewhat in disarray and we could frustrate and surprise either. Will be a huge ask whoever we come up against but we've shown before that we'll give anyone a game!

Wayne's World

Quick question - Since we are unseeded for sure, does that mean the unseeded team play at home first while the seeded play the second leg at home?

I know we played the Bosnia match at home for the second leg but can't remember now If we were seeded or not for that

LisburnWhite

Quick question - Since we are unseeded for sure, does that mean the unseeded team play at home first while the seeded play the second leg at home?

I know we played the Bosnia match at home for the second leg but can't remember now If we were seeded or not for that
The draw will also decide who plays at home first, it will be completely random with no advantage to the seeded teams.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
No. If Northern Ireland played the Republic guaranteed there will be morons without any interest in football that will somehow manage to get to the game to cause trouble and sour the good behaviour of everyone else. Would be similar to when Linfield played Celtic in the CL qualifiers as opposed to the euros that you mention when it was genuine football supporters of both teams in attendance

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
The draw will also decide who plays at home first, it will be completely random with no advantage to the seeded teams.
Ireland already have a rugby match at the Aviva on the 11th so I think we may have to be at home first.

diarm

Ireland already have a rugby match at the Aviva on the 11th so I think we may have to be at home first.
We can't let that decide it though. I'll be at that South Africa match on the 11th but still, a world cup is too important to be handing advantage back.

I'd prefer to see us play it away from the Aviva if it absolutely has to be on the 11th, rather than give up a potential second leg at home.

Edit: I've just looked it up and it's the first legs which are played the weekend of the 11th so if anything, we'd have to be away first.

Don't think it's an issue anyway because the games can be played any time between the Thursday and the Saturday.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes

Eire Red United

We can't let that decide it though. I'll be at that South Africa match on the 11th but still, a world cup is too important to be handing advantage back.

I'd prefer to see us play it away from the Aviva if it absolutely has to be on the 11th, rather than give up a potential second leg at home.

Edit: I've just looked it up and it's the first legs which are played the weekend of the 11th so if anything, we'd have to be away first.

Don't think it's an issue anyway because the games can be played any time between the Thursday and the Saturday.
I'm sure the boys at Croker would happily take a few million to play it there.

Scarlet Spider

Home Nation? We are not a home nation.
Agreed about that but it's just part of the ignorance people in Britain have towards Ireland. Am sure he didn't mean any spite when he said it. Great to put them out though given their despicable behaviour and tactics against us in Dublin.

Bestietom

I watched the Game against Wales in a pub in Portugal. When I seen the team I thought we were going to get slaughtered, but what a great result and even without players like:- Coleman, Walters, Long, McCarthy, etc. We done well.

poleglass red

not bad at all, any game was going to be tough for us really, but away in 1st leg to Denmark, I'll take that.

Status
Not open for further replies.