Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgecutter

Shame we couldn't win, but this team is going places under Kenny and it's been much more of a pleasure watching them.

always_hoping

The Irish well deserved that hard earned draw. The point tonight now gives ROI the opportunity to finish the group ahead of Luxembourg.

Fair play to Ronaldo for giving his Jersey to the young girl than ran onto the pitch.

Pirlo'sBeard

Really enjoy watching this Ireland team under Stephen Kenny. We're definitely going places under him. We can't revert to hoofball now.

Nick7

I think Brady has been terrible for a while now it’s as if he’s stopped watching actual matches and just gets prepped 5 minutes before going on.
oh yeah he absolutely has, but I was more posting that health/age wise. Looked like he’s aged a decade in the last year.

Oranges038

Brady is hilariously grumpy.
When Sadler looks and sounds like the positive one there is definitely something wrong.

I'd say, he just misses the craic and is fed up without Bill, Eamonn and Johnny. Imagine having two lads you can have a decent argument with being egged on by Bill. To having Darragh and Richie for company. The Apres match would struggle to even make those two look lively.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
When Sadler looks and sounds like the positive one there is definitely something wrong.

I'd say, he just misses the craic and is fed up without Bill, Eamonn and Johnny. Imagine having two lads you can have a decent argument with being egged on by Bill. To having Darragh and Richie for company. The Apres match would struggle to even make those two look lively.
My old man here says 'ah he was a grumpy aul fecker as a young lad'

Brophs

The One and Only
As a nation we need to stop fetishising contrarian pundits. Or at least just view what they say as entertainment rather than genuinely analysis or insight.

diarm

On my way home from the game. Was it just us being one eyed in the stands or was that one of the all time worst refereeing performances?

Oranges038

On my way home from the game. Was it just us being one eyed in the stands or was that one of the all time worst refereeing performances?
No.

He had a very bad game.

Some of his decisions were baffling.
Should have given Danilo 3 or 4 yellows. Pepe's second yellow was extremely soft.
The foul for the goal at the end was as soft as it gets.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The Irish well deserved that hard earned draw. The point tonight now gives ROI the opportunity to finish the group ahead of Luxembourg.

Fair play to Ronaldo for giving his Jersey to the young girl than ran onto the pitch.
That was very cool of him.

We had the same amount of possession and shots as Portugal tonight. This team is going places. Fair play to Kenny.

diarm

That was very cool of him.
It was amazing. She was so small and ran so far. Looked like she was going to make it but the stewards nabbed her right before she got to him.

Then he calls them over and she gets her hug and the shirt. She was balling crying as they walked her off the pitch. Memory for a lifetime that.

Red00012

2 different ref’s for both the Portugal games and Ireland may have 6/6. Another shocker by the ref tonight. Avoided booking their players for as long as possible and that disallowed goal is just embarrassing.

diarm

2 different ref’s for both the Portugal games and Ireland may have 6/6. Another shocker by the ref tonight. Avoided booking their players for as long as possible and that disallowed goal is just embarrassing.
It was only a joking, ironic sort of booing.

He was applauded as well and got a standing ovation for his gesture to the young girl.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Why were fans booing Ronaldo? Twats.
Ah I wouldn't worry about it, the biggest cheer of the night was for him when he gave the kid his shirt.

Ronaldo is a genius, he plays the game to win and goes full pantomime in the process, it's all deliberate on his part and the Irish crowd Joined in and pushed back, mostly tongue in cheek I'd say. It's always a good vibe at Ireland matches and I'd say the boos were frequently accompanied by laughing.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Ah I wouldn't worry about it, the biggest cheer of the night was for him when he gave the kid his shirt.

Ronaldo is a genius, he plays the game to win and goes full pantomime in the process, it's all deliberate on his part and the Irish crowd Joined in and pushed back, mostly tongue in cheek I'd say. It's always a good vibe at Ireland matches and I'd say the boos were frequently accompanied by laughing.
Well I wasn’t at the game so I don’t know. It’s a bit daft if you ask me, I thought we Irish had a bit more class.
I do remember Irish fans booing Roy Keane after being urged to do so by Cathal Dervan, Mick McCarthy’s bestie.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Brady was always a miserable bollocks God love him, but without Dunphy there to wind him up it's just not the same.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
And Kenny is better than Ole.

I look forward to international breaks, last night was great. Strange, but brilliant, to be back in a full capacity stadium.
Hard to disagree. It does make me worry about a new manager. With any manager/coach who has a legitimate “philosophy” there’s a very good chance of things going to absolute shite before the new system starts to function properly. We also saw this with Klopp at Liverpool. If we hire an unpopular choice (e.g. Rogers) and have the same slump that Ireland did under Kenny this place will be un-fecking-bearable.

Withnail

Well I wasn’t at the game so I don’t know. It’s a bit daft if you ask me, I thought we Irish had a bit more class.
I do remember Irish fans booing Roy Keane after being urged to do so by Cathal Dervan, Mick McCarthy’s bestie.
There's been a bit of pantomime boo-ing at a few matches I've been to and as @moses said it's normally followed by laughter. It didn't seem serious last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.