Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
It is what it is, I don't get the feeling anyone is delivering way below what they can.
A product of decades of a badly-run/corrupt domestic league (and football association), coupled with a reduced need/niche for Irish players in the Premier League due to it becoming a more global game. We reap what we sow.

It will take a long time and some luck to sort this out. We are well overdue a Roy Keane/Gareth Bale/Scott McTominay type generational talent at least.

white text.

Last edited:

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Sounds about right.

Back to last night, I think we're more suited to League C, we're definitely among the weakest in league B.
Definitely and you can see from the possession we had against Armenia versus the final result that we still need practice at beating teams in and around the same level that we are. We're never gonna lose the knack for plucky 0-0 draws against the big boys.

BerryBerryShrew

It is what it is, I don't get the feeling anyone is delivering way below what they can.
Which is the most important thing and is a characteristic of Irish teams past and present. For all that we lean heavily on the granny rule, I can honestly say that our players always play for the shirt. It is the reason why we loudly support our lads when they are beating Germany in qualifiers or when they are getting hammered 4-0 against the Spanish wizards in a tournament Group stage. Because they always try their best irrespective of the gulf in quality.

During the dark days of Trap, Stan and MON, I always said that results were secondary to style. The Irish public support the team for effort regardless, so may as well try to play decent football and lose rather than play sh1t on a stick football and lose marginally fewer times. I stick by that and remain firmly behind Stee-o.

Tyrion

A product of decades of a badly-run/corrupt domestic league (and football association), coupled with a reduced need/niche for Irish players in the Premier League due to it becoming a more global game. We reap what we sow.

It will take a long time and some luck to sort this out. We are well overdue a Roy Keane/Gareth Bale/Scott McTominay type generational talent at least.

white text.
Agreed. People moaning about Kenny/O' Neill/Mccarthy ignore the common denominator. Delaney. He ran Irish football into the ground and it will need to be rebuilt totally.

Tyrion

Sounds about right.

Back to last night, I think we're more suited to League C, we're definitely among the weakest in league B.
Didnt we finish bottom of league B last time but didn't get relegated for some weird rule change?

lsd

The Oracle
Wow what a goal Parrott just scored and fantastic pass from Obafemi.

That's as good a goal as I've seen Ireland score

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
In fairness, McTominay wouldn't be used to squaring up against the likes of Molumby and McClean. Too much quality in this Irish side, I've always said it.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
That's as good a goal as I've seen Ireland score

It also came from abandoning the attempt to play out from the back and allowing Kelleher to hoof it up the pitch instead of playing themselves into trouble.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
What a goal that was.

Date I say it....Kenny in

Deery

Dreary
McTominay is having a terrible 7-8 months, shocking out there today..

PoTMS

Simeone would love Duffy. Apart from the actual defending side of things.

lsd

The Oracle
One of the things that really annoys me in football just happened there.

Every single time there is a corner and the defending player gets into a shoving match with the attacker causing the referee to intervene.

The referee will then blow for a free kick to the defending team once the kick is taken regardless of whether there is a foul or not.

It's like they just cannot give the attacking player any benefit of doubt at all

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

Every single time there is a corner and the defending player gets into a shoving match with the attacker causing the referee to intervene.

The referee will then blow for a free kick to the defending team once the kick is taken regardless of whether there is a foul or not.

It's like they just cannot give the attacking player any benefit of doubt at all
Yeah that was soft.

diarm

Just switched on and saw the score. Thought I was watching the rugby for a minute.

What's going on?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Yup. The idea that wee Obafemi is the aggressor in a shoving match with McTominay was particularly ridiculous.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I don't want to jump the gun, but I think we're going to win the World Cup this year.

this white text shouldnt be necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.