Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReligion

Abusive
McTominay is so bad he can’t even stand out against Ireland.
Honestly every time I see him play with McGinn, if you didn't know you'd think that McGinn played for United and McTominay for Villa. Not like McGinn is world-class but at least he looks a bit like a footballer.
Fecking hell. I just turned this on and it's 3-0. I take it McTominay is showing why he plays for United?
McT has to be the worst regular United starter in my lifetime. He’s not a squad player he’s a starter. A regular important starter in the engine room for a club with supposedly lofty ambitions
Thought I’d stumbled in to the Mctominay performance thread for a second…

Some of you are a bit obsessed with the man it seems..

Anyway Ireland playing really well. Obafemi looked a handful against Belgium. Seems the move to the EFL has helped him get some form and games together as he didn’t quite kick on at Southampton? Only young though. Potential to step back up or a bit of a purple patch?

Pirlo'sBeard

Thought I’d stumbled in to the Mctominay performance thread for a second…

Some of you are a bit obsessed with the man it seems..
A shocking player who continuously starts for the biggest club in the world. Going to naturally bring more attention.

Deery

Dreary
Brilliant performance when you look at the quality of player throughout that Scotland side, Kenny would do a decent job with them.

SirtheIcarium

Great Result. Having watched the dross in Ukraine and Armenia, Got home just in time to miss all the goals.

As for McTominay, he's just a taller Jeff Hendrick. And I hate Jeff Hendrick

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I’ll give my thoughts whenever I see fit thanks very much.

Anyway stop derailing the thread following an excellent win for the Irish!
You were the one who derailed the thread, bizarrely taking exception to United fans commenting on the performance of the only United player playing in a game they were watching.

Until we scored his inability to boss championship opposition was very notable.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
You were the one who derailed the thread, bizarrely taking exception to United fans commenting on the performance of the only United player playing in a game they were watching.

Until we scored his inability to boss championship opposition was very notable.
I didn’t detail anything thank you very much

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Parrott has been a very highly rated youngster for years in the Spurs academy so glad to see him coming off a good loan spell with a good performance for Ireland. Really hopes he makes it at Spurs.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Parrott has been a very highly rated youngster for years in the Spurs academy so glad to see him coming off a good loan spell with a good performance for Ireland. Really hopes he makes it at Spurs.
I think he lacks the intensity at the moment to play near the top of the PL. He has the tecnichal ability to have a good career. He may fare better at a team where if he drops off the boil a wee bit they'll stick with him.

Brophs

The One and Only
I think he lacks the intensity at the moment to play near the top of the PL. He has the tecnichal ability to have a good career. He may fare better at a team where if he drops off the boil a wee bit they'll stick with him.
I’m not sure about Parrott yet. He has lots of qualities, but he seems to let a lot of games pass him by. My worry would be that some of that potential that was undoubtedly there may have been lost in the tumult of the last few years. As someone on maybe Second Captains observed around the time he was getting a lot of praise for the performances for MK Dons, the last thing we needed was another hard working wide player who doesn’t score goals. I could see him being one who ends up moving on without much fanfare and hanging around the second and third tiers without ever making that much of an impact, a la Maguire.

I also agree with your point. He doesn’t look the most driven lad to me. Or at least when compared to the guys he’ll be trying to take a shirt from.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I’m not sure about Parrott yet. He has lots of qualities, but he seems to let a lot of games pass him by. My worry would be that some of that potential that was undoubtedly there may have been lost in the tumult of the last few years. As someone on maybe Second Captains observed around the time he was getting a lot of praise for the performances for MK Dons, the last thing we needed was another hard working wide player who doesn’t score goals. I could see him being one who ends up moving on without much fanfare and hanging around the second and third tiers without ever making that much of an impact, a la Maguire.

I also agree with your point. He doesn’t look the most driven lad to me. Or at least when compared to the guys he’ll be trying to take a shirt from.

Yeah, he's great given time and space but I'm not sure he'll ever have the drive to work at making his own time and space. I think you're probably right about his career trajectory but I do think he has the talent to play at a better level than he will most likely end up at.

From an Ireland perspective I think he can do a job for us as long as hes a starter in the championship.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Parrot certainly looks happier in a 2 than a three. As did Obafemi. No bad thing to have players that suit different formations. That said we need to decide on our go to system. Back three suits us, still not sure what's going to get us creating regularly.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Parrot certainly looks happier in a 2 than a three. As did Obafemi. No bad thing to have players that suit different formations. That said we need to decide on our go to system. Back three suits us, still not sure what's going to get us creating regularly.
I think when we get more confident playing from defence we will create. We looked very shaky doing that in the last 3 games, even tonight. Nobody is making runs in case we lose it.

Brophs

The One and Only
Yeah, he's great given time and space but I'm not sure he'll ever have the drive to work at making his own time and space. I think you're probably right about his career trajectory but I do think he has the talent to play at a better level than he will most likely end up at.

From an Ireland perspective I think he can do a job for us as long as hes a starter in the championship.
I think you’re probably both right re Parrott. But it’s a crying shame. Because in terms of skill and technique he’s in a completely different league to everyone else in that squad.
100%, that's why even if he was playing at a Championship side, he'd be useful in our set up.
Don’t get me wrong. I’m talking from the perspective of him making at Spurs or similar. Unless we have some really good players come through he’ll get 60 or 70 caps handily enough. Even with some flaws, with his technique and a bit of work rate, he’ll usually be picked.

Agree with that also. It’s sort of what worries me about Parrott. He doesn’t seem to be able to get himself close enough to goal when it matters often enough. He seems to often need to work off players rather than driving it himself.

Becks_VII

Obafemi and and Cullen were really good today. I thought Nathan Collins was also excellent today

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Obafemi and and Cullen were really good today. I thought Nathan Collins was also excellent today
Apparently we tried to sign him when he was still at Stoke. I think we should try again. The sky’s the limit for him. I’d say him and the two keepers (especially Bazunu) are the biggest talents playing for the Irish senior team now.

Becks_VII

Apparently we tried to sign him when he was still at Stoke. I think we should try again. The sky’s the limit for him. I’d say him and the two keepers (especially Bazunu) are the biggest talents playing for the Irish senior team now.
Ye good shout. Seems to have all the attributes. Quick, calm on the ball and strong in the tackle. Still only 21 also. Wouldnt cost too much from Burnley after their relegation I'd imagine

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
This is bad enough without Gary Breen’s incessant cheerleading - would Premier Sports not give us a token Scottish co-commentator to balance things out a little?
No because we have Souness the rest of the time.

lsd

The Oracle

He's the type of player that goes to a club to replace a guy we pay 80 million for only for Collins to turn out to be the better player for a fraction of the price

Withnail

Lads, Parrot is 20 and having a decent season now that he's actually played 40 odd games for the first time in his career. Let's not write him off just yet ffs

lsd

The Oracle
Lads, Parrot is 20 and having a decent season now that he's actually played 40 odd games for the first time in his career. Let's not write him off just yet ffs

Ah he's been 20 ages now before we know it he will be on his 30s.

NoPace

I think you’re probably both right re Parrott. But it’s a crying shame. Because in terms of skill and technique he’s in a completely different league to everyone else in that squad.
I remember seeing him for Spurs in a pre-season game and he looked like the kind of striker the Italians always have where he knew how to shape his body to be dangerous with his back to goal. Very canny for a teenager.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Parrot praising the almighty god after his goal was something else. Infuriating when I see players doing that for the camera. Keep your praying for the privacy of the dressing room if you want to do it. I don't believe for a second it's done for more than the cameras.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I don't think anyone is writing him off, just trying to assess him.. Everyone is in agreement about his talent, just trying to guess his trajectory.

You need to progress. He was a promising 17 year old with bags of talent , now he's a promising 20 year old with bags of talent.

While he could play in rotation at a PL club, I think it would suit him to play regularly.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Parrott bagged for fun in our youth setup scoring a vast array of goals, I did expect a bit more from him by this point but 20 is still young and watching his interviews it seems something clicked for him halfway through his MK Dons loan. My main question mark over him was whether he had the sharpness/mobility to make it at the top level as his technique and general ability are definitely there. It'll be good to see him get a go in pre-season under Conte before we make a decision on him - I suspect a Champ loan is the most likely outcome however.

Brophs

The One and Only
Not since Sean St. Ledger have we had a centre half capable of such sorcery.

Status
Not open for further replies.